Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
160,161 - 160,180 of 200,560 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Trough

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

CPAC - GOP, Republican and Tea Party member's are just a bunch of racists pigs!

Suewee, suewee!

Tubby!

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Good points! A gay judge dismissed the lawful vote of a majority of Californians, now they cry about their 'rights'. There is no right to gender equality.
Men and women are different, vive le difference. Reason number two for keeping marriage one man and one woman; sexual differentiation. Isn't it cool how law reflects nature?
Look, you stupid b!tch, tell us exactly how men and woman are different.(Apart from physical differences)
And different or not, all people should get equal rights. 14th Amendment.
Would it be OK if the law said the strong can kill the weak? That's reflecting nature.
Your kids would be better off getting pearl necklaces on the street than being raised by you!

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh your blue eyed brown eyed magical fantasy has nothing to do with squat! Dismissing the American voting process and the rights of voters is unconstitutional and denies my right to be heard as a voter and an American. A majority belief that legally that marriage by definition is between a man and a woman has nothing to do with infringing on anyone's rights,
Yes it does, it denies people equal rights!
Dont think so wrote:
a belief is a belief, a belief cannot infringe on anything, it's a belief that was and is upheld by the majority of Americans, if you're don't like it don't believe in it. It does not take away any gays freedom to marry or be happy. There are beliefs of others and even the government that I may find I don't agree with but they sure as heck are not stopping me or causing me to be unhappy.
Oh now the majority voters are a mob?
When they vote against equal rights, yes.
Dont think so wrote:
Lol! So when Obama won by 51% majority, I guess according to you that was an unruly stupid mob, that needs to be over turn and struck down?
Do you con dumbs get points for mentioning Obama's name, and the more off topic, the more points you get?
Dont think so wrote:
See you think you know everything about the United States and with your ere of superiority and arrogance want to subject your version of it on others, my friend that is the farthest from the idea of what America is about constitutionally and morally!
You don't like the idea of equal rights...
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL marriages are a piece of paper recognized by a government forma legal standpoint.
Many cultures have many traditions, I donít mind if you have yours, as long as you donít try to stop others with theirs, and as long as you donít try to force your traditions upon others that donít want them as if they had the force of law.
This is the land of the free, I wonít accept your tynary
But, you see, you HAVE been, when you forced your way into the law making machine to institute a fraud. It isn't tyranny to say that 2 men do not belong in possession of a marriage certificate. It is proper. Traditions are being trampled here. By your side.
SmackerS

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

But now that Obamaís won a second four-year term, itís unclear whether Palin might dig in and further oppose the president, or re-position herself for future relevance within.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
NOT have them designated, they already are, there are 18,000 legal same sex marriages in California right now, there are over 100,000 same sex marriages nationwide.
You are trying to stop other same sex couples from the same legal right that other same sex couples already have.
...That shouldn't have been, in the first place. You can put wheels on my granny, but calling her a wagon doesn't make her so...
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
This may be a hard question for you, but do you consider yourself human? If so, why? I looked it up, and humans have 46 chromosomes. How many do you have?
:)
Yes, that's more of the "insightful and thoughtful" posting we expect from your dumb-ass. This may be a harder question for you, but do you consider yourself human? If so, please list your reasons for operating under this misconception...Dumb-ass.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
This may be a hard question for you, but do you consider yourself human? If so, why? I looked it up, and humans have 46 chromosomes. How many do you have?
:)
And if you think that Kimare has 92 chromosomes, then you have to stipulate that Kimare is a Super-Human, and far above your amoebic ass on the food chain...Logic demands this admission, from you.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>I doubt if you posted any facts. All you post is opinion. And your 'opinions' are not based on facts.
Kimare posts plenty of facts. You ignore them, like a child.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh puh-leez. Do you always just make shit up and expect people to believe it?
No, I don't make shit up, but you do, and it seems to draw plenty of approval from your crowd...Then again, your crowd will clap for anything...
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you don't force your ideas on gay marriage on my beliefs of traditional marriage and those who see marriage as historical & traditional form of union between a man and woman.
No one is forcing tyranny on you, but you are forcing others to change their views to fit yours. If all it is to you is a piece of paper, why not go to these other cultures and get married, why seek to do it with in the government ?
Because its not about wanting to prove your love legally it's about insurance and other types of benefits.
This is the land of the free, you are free to get married in any form you want, but you cannot change the governments views or the majority of the peoples views and we are free to vote that the traditional and historic view of marriage stay the way it is without you forcing your views on us.
That's why your view of marriage was voted out. Yet you want to bypass the will of the people and use liberal gay judges with bias to change the vote.
Now that is tyranny, the few forcing the majority to conform to their views and way of thinking, forcing their version of political correctness. You think if you yell loud enough you can throw out the votes of the majority!
Excellent post! Well said!
SmackerS

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Flanders field looks empty now.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is saying you cannot have kids if you want to, but I am not about to let you force people to have children in order to be married, or to get married.
We will not tolerate your desire to be a tyrant
D, LOL, this post is just flat out nuts....Come on, man, forcing people to have children? Really? No-one is forcing anyone to have children...Having children is the reason for marriage, even though it is done for other reasons, wrongly, too. Like grabbing government benefits....

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you see, you HAVE been, when you forced your way into the law making machine to institute a fraud. It isn't tyranny to say that 2 men do not belong in possession of a marriage certificate. It is proper. Traditions are being trampled here. By your side.
Bigfoot, the Constitution trumps traditions.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are using a typical con dumb ploy.
It's not the fact that your views are "different" than mine that makes you hate hateful bigot. The fact you want to deny people basic, equal human rights makes you a bigot.
You, obviously, have some difficulty distinguishing between bigotry and rationality.
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Bigfoot, the Constitution trumps traditions.
Rose, why do you have a woman's name when everyone knows you a gay man?

Robert

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you think that Kimare has 92 chromosomes, then you have to stipulate that Kimare is a Super-Human, and far above your amoebic ass on the food chain...Logic demands this admission, from you.
Not at all. Shrimp have 92 chromosomes. Are they super human?
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Prop 8 Unconstitutional wrote:
<quoted text>
The will of the majority? 3 states,Washington,Maryland and Maine! But the bottom line and the fact remains that a majority cannot vote away the rights of any minority,especially in the case of California where gays had the right to marry(over 18,000)and it was then taken away unjustly and thus,Prop 8 was ruled Unconstitutional not once but twice! And come this June the Supreme court will make marriage equality the law of the land and they will also strike down DOMA as Unconstitutional! I know lets take a popular vote and vote away a couple of your rights,I suppose you think that just too? NO,you'd be on here protesting that it is Unconstitutional to do,just like the gays are! Oh and don't forget,gays are tax paying citizens supplementing your marriage rights while at the same time being denied those very same rights that you enjoy! That's just plain wrong and when DOMA falls will be rectified! Glad I could help!
You're such a pompous ass. The majority has not "voted away" the rights of any majority, the minority has subverted the rights of the majority to vote on this issue. you are ramrodding a fraudulent definition upon the rest of us. We didn't vote away your rights, we had sodomy laws that you have had swept away by your liberal judges, in spite of what the majority of us find acceptable. And for your information, the SCOTUS has NO jurisdiction to declare (yech) gay marriage the "law of the land", the STATES have the right to make up their own laws, so sorry, too bad, so sad, get mad. Glad to help YOU to understand the Constitution a little bit better! Hope it sticks in yer throat, along with the other stuff.... We don't "take away" rights, we vote on what we will allow, or not. THAT'S Democracy at work. Sodomy laws existed before your gay marriage legislation.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are, you are working to force Same Sex couples to not be married even though over 100,000 other same sex couples in this country already are married.
No one is trying for force anything on you, why are you denying them?
What if it was you, what if this was coalition to deny some right of yours? That others like you have?
"That others like you have?" Well, if I was gay, then I wouldn't be like the others, and I'd recognize that fact. The fact that 100,000 have gotten married was a fluke, should not have happened, but they acted in a timely fashion, and got something that they shouldn't have.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Prop 8 Unconstitutional wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then,I guess you haven't seen the all the latest national polls which are in fact now in favor of marriage equality by 52%! And how about reading the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and get back to us! You simply represent the tyranny of the majority and think that your personal beliefs should be able to circumvent the rights afforded us all in the Constitution and Bill of rights!
The Constitutional reasons why Prop 8 and other bans on marriage equality are in fact Unconstitutional!
www.afer.org/our-work/our-arguments
The summery of the Iowa Supreme court decision overturning the ban in that state and why the ban was in fact Unconstitutional!
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/pdf/D... (read the section entitled"Equal protection clause"
This: "...all the latest national polls which are in fact now in favor of marriage equality by 52%..." is a flat out lie. I never received a poll, so it is not representative of the nation, only a carefully screened and controlled group.
Any so-called "national poll" is propaganda, until such time that we ALL receive a questionaire. I have repeatedly pointed out this particular lie. Most Americans do not care, one way or the other, but, out the Americans that actually have an opinion, most are NOT in favor of it. And, the 14th Amendment was about inter-racial marriage, not about sexual orientation, or gender misidentification. Can you please stick to the truth, and facts, and not resort to lies and propaganda? Thank you very much. What you call tyranny is what we call the law of the land. Don't like it? Move somewhere else. The Constitution does not guarantee anyone any marriage rights. Prop 8 is as valid, if not more so, than your circumvention of the traditional views held by the majority, who do not wish to see you HAMMER a round peg into a square hole...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••