Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#182009 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>On February 7, 2012, in a 2–1 decision, a Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals panel affirmed Walker's decision declaring the Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional.
Prop 8 is also a ban on poly marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#182010 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Is polygamy already illegal? Why yes it is.
Why would a law then be crafted, to outlaw something that's already illegal?
Because the law was made to only allow marriage between a man and a woman.

Sure it was directed at same sex marriage mainly but it was worded to ban polygamy also. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182011 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
There is no limit on equal rights,
Yes there is.... the guarantee is equal protection, not equal rights. The State can limit marriage to whatever group they so choose IF..... IF there is a legitimate State interest in doing so.

Why can't you grasp this? What is wrong with you? We've told you at least 50 times and it still hasn't sunk in. Are you retarded?

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#182012 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to convince me prop 8 doesn't ban polygamy too? Why?
Existing laws, prohibit polygamy.

On February 7, 2012, in a 2–1 decision, a Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals panel affirmed Walker's decision declaring the Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182013 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamy was already illegal. Prop 8 did not ban polygamy.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#182014 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
On February 7, 2012, in a 2–1 decision, a Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals panel affirmed Walker's decision declaring the Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#182015 Mar 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are depressing his sister, and perhaps his goat.
What happened to my goat? Is he depressed too?

You ridicule that dumb non-argument when used against SSM, then you use it yourself against other forms of marriage.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182016 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
One man one woman. Bans more than one of each. Sorry for you, I know your bigoted ignorant opinions of polygamy well.
Double illegal.... how fascinating is the legal system on your planet?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182017 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what they said about SSM, as little as a few short years ago.
SSM was LEGAL in California a few short years ago. Polygamy was never legal.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182018 Mar 1, 2013
When Prop 8 gets overturned, let's have a party celebrating lawnchair marriage. After all, that man, woman thing will be moot.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#182019 Mar 1, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Double illegal.... how fascinating is the legal system on your planet?
They throw the switch on the electric chair twice ;)
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#182020 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Prop 8 is also a ban on poly marriage. Why does that disturb you so? Are you against marriage equality?
You cannot spin away the fact that it is a ban on same sex and poly marriage EQUALLY. No matter how hard you try.
No need to try, it's simple. Polygamy was illegal BEFORE Prop 8. Therefore, Prop 8 did not ban polygamy. It was already banned. How much simpler can we make this for you?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#182021 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened to my goat? Is he depressed too?
You ridicule that dumb non-argument when used against SSM, then you use it yourself against other forms of marriage.
Lighten up, gezzzzz you hold impossible positions and expect not to be teased a little about it?

Everyone ( except you ) knows that prop 8 didn’t change polygamy laws at all, and the overturn of prop 8 will put things back where they were, Same Sex Marriage being legal, and Poly still illegal.

Prop 8 will get overturned, that is now an inevitability, either the supreme court will do it ( expected ) or another proposition will be put forward in California and it will strike prop 8 down easily.

It is just a matter of time

But it won’t change the laws on polygamy, that will have to be a separate issue, with separate measures and separate legal action.

I will even support it when it does come,( more jobs for more lawyers )

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#182022 Mar 1, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there is.... the guarantee is equal protection, not equal rights. The State can limit marriage to whatever group they so choose IF..... IF there is a legitimate State interest in doing so.
Why can't you grasp this? What is wrong with you? We've told you at least 50 times and it still hasn't sunk in. Are you retarded?
Who or what determines if there is "legitimate state interest"? One court say no state interest in restricting it to OSCs, another says yes there is. So who's right? I suppose that depends on which side of issue you're on.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#182023 Mar 1, 2013
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthought...

If there was any doubt that Judge Vaughn Walker would allow his personal views of homosexuality trump legal reasoning, he removed that with his ruling today overturning California’s ban on same-sex marriage. Fortunately, the reasoning is so jaw-droppingly stupid that it will be overturned on appeal when it reaches the Supreme Court. Since Walker is (presumably) not a stupid man, he has to know that his ruling is weak and has no basis in actual reason. The only explanation is that he decided that sending a message of support to his friends in the gay community was more important that applying coherent legal reasoning to interpret the law.

Admittedly, this is a serious accusation. Yet I think it can proven with a simple test: Ask Judge Walker if his reasoning applies to polygamous marriage. In the decision he handed down, Walker find no rational basis for denying this fundamental right to same-sex couples. But every one of his reasons applies equally to polygamy.

I am not claiming that his reasoning leads to an argument ad absurdum. That would be a lateral move from one absurdity to another. What I’m claiming is that, if he is consistent, Walker would have to conclude that his rational basis criteria effectively overturns not only the ban on same-sex marriage, but the ban on polygamy.

Here are key excerpts from his opinion.(I assure you that this summary (which was compiled by the Wall Street Journal) comes from the actual opinion and not from The Onion.)

Proposition 8 places the force of law behind stigmas against gays and lesbians, including: gays and lesbians do not have intimate relationships similar to heterosexual couples; gays and lesbians are not as good as heterosexuals; and gay and lesbian relationships do not deserve the full recognition of society.(Page 85)

This one is straightforward: replace “polygamous partners” for “gays and lesbians and it would be equally as applicable.

Proposition 8 has had a negative fiscal impact on California and local governments.(Page 90)

Even for an opinion riddled with idiotic reasoning, this justification is exceptionally ridiculous. Almost every law passed has a negative fiscal impact on California. That does not make them unconstitutional. Nevertheless, if preventing homosexuals from marrying has a negative fiscal impact, the same must hold true for denying polygamists the right to marry.

Proposition 8 increases costs and decreases wealth for same sex couples because of increased tax burdens, decreased availability of health insurance and higher transactions costs to secure rights and obligations typically associated with marriage. Domestic partnership reduces but does not eliminate these costs.(Page 91)

The same holds true for polygamists.

Proposition 8 singles out gays and lesbians and legitimates their unequal treatment. Proposition 8 perpetuates the stereotype that gays and lesbians are incapable of forming long-term loving relationships and that gays and lesbians are not good parents.(Page 93)

The same holds true for polygamists. Both research and common sense support the idea that children function better when they have both a mother and a father. In a polygamous marriage, the child would generally not only have a mother and father but a spare parent as well. Imagine the benefit of having both parents at work and yet still having a parent who can stay home with the children.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#182024 Mar 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Who or what determines if there is "legitimate state interest"?.
Politicians, lobbyists, and campaign contributors.

OK maybe that is a little cynical, but It is also fairly true.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#182025 Mar 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Lighten up, gezzzzz you hold impossible positions and expect not to be teased a little about it?
Everyone ( except you ) knows that prop 8 didn’t change polygamy laws at all, and the overturn of prop 8 will put things back where they were, Same Sex Marriage being legal, and Poly still illegal.
Prop 8 will get overturned, that is now an inevitability, either the supreme court will do it ( expected ) or another proposition will be put forward in California and it will strike prop 8 down easily.
It is just a matter of time
But it won’t change the laws on polygamy, that will have to be a separate issue, with separate measures and separate legal action.
I will even support it when it does come,( more jobs for more lawyers )
Oh you are just teasing? Silly me!

Prop 8 banned polygamy EQUALLY to banning SSM.

The end.
The chant

Covina, CA

#182026 Mar 1, 2013
The crazies chanted and screamed: Rise Up, O God, and Save Us From Ourselves.

And the Big guy replyed; you got yourself into this mess, you get yourselves out of it, I'm taking a vacation.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#182027 Mar 1, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone who says that "marriage is a man and a woman" doesn't ban polygamy as well as same sex marriage asks if I am retarded!

Priceless.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#182028 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Existing laws, prohibit polygamy.
Existing laws (federal and states) don't recognize SSM as a valid marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr L Morales 71,264
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 23 Kristen Scannell ... 2
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1
Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey