Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201809 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#181901 Feb 28, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you aren't very good at communicating.
My communication skills aren't the problem, you comprehension skills are.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL. Dummy, the 14th Amendment says STATES can't deny to any person within their jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. That would include marriage laws.(Loving v VA) Must suck to be an idiot like you are.
LOL. Dummy, everyone is treated equally- no one is allowed to marry a person of the same sex and everyone is allowed to marry someone of the opposite sex.

We have been through this before Rose, even the court told you that you are an idiot:

"Plaintiffs' reliance on Loving v Virginia (388 US 1 [1967]) for the proposition that the US Supreme Court has established a fundamental "right to marry the spouse of one's choice" outside the male/female construct is misplaced.[...]
The Supreme Court struck the statute on both equal protection and due process grounds, but the focus of the analysis was on the Equal Protection Clause. Noting that "[t]he clear and central purpose of the Fourteenth Amendment was to eliminate all official state sources of invidious racial discrimination in the States," the Court applied strict scrutiny review to the racial classification, finding "no legitimate overriding purpose independent of invidious racial discrimination which justifies this classification" (id. at 10, 11). It made clear "that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the [*12]Equal Protection Clause" (id. at 12). There is no question that the Court viewed this antimiscegenation statute as an affront to the very purpose for the adoption of the Fourteenth Amendment—to combat invidious racial discrimination.

In its brief due process analysis, the Supreme Court reiterated that marriage is a right "fundamental to our very existence and survival" (id., citing Skinner, 316 US at 541)—a clear reference to the link between marriage and procreation. It reasoned: "To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes ... is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law" (id.). Although the Court characterized the right to marry as a "choice," it did not articulate the broad "right to marry the spouse of one's choice" suggested by plaintiffs here. Rather, the Court observed that "[t]he Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations" (id.[emphasis added])...Plaintiffs cite Loving for the proposition that a statute can discriminate even if it treats both classes identically. This misconstrues the Loving analysis because the antimiscegenation statute did not treat blacks and whites identically—it restricted who whites could marry (but did not restrict intermarriage between non-whites) for the purpose of promoting white supremacy. Virginia's antimiscegenation statute was the quintessential example of invidious racial discrimination as it was intended to advantage one race and disadvantage all others, which is why the Supreme Court applied strict scrutiny and struck it down as violating the core interest of the Equal Protection Clause.

In contrast, neither men nor women are disproportionately disadvantaged or burdened by the fact that New York's Domestic Relations Law allows only opposite-sex couples to marry—both genders are treated precisely the same way." Hernandez v Robles
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181902 Feb 28, 2013
Can you imagine the loser who rates Rose_NoHo's posts "Brilliant"?

Anyone?
Dirty Harry

Covina, CA

#181903 Feb 28, 2013
How are the CopperHeads doing tonight
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181904 Feb 28, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
If all other laws against polygamy were repealed except PROP 8, that would be the only thing stopping polygamy from being legal in California, X-box.
D
If the queen had balls she'd be king.

If, if, if..... try dealing with what is.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181906 Feb 28, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Prop 8 says marriage is a man and a woman ONLY. Not 2 men and a woman. Not 2 men, not 2 women. It EFFECTIVELY and EQUALLY bans polygamy as well as SSM.
Look Jerky. The bottom line is I support marriage equality and you do not.
Polygamy was already illegaly when Prop 8 was passed. Prop 8 banned same sex marriage.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#181907 Feb 28, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>Polygamy was already illegaly when Prop 8 was passed. Prop 8 banned same sex marriage.
Prop 8 banned any marriage save that of one man and one woman.

I thought you wanted to deal with "what is?"

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#181908 Mar 1, 2013
As I have noted many times before, I focus on one single aspect of gay sex for two reasons; One, intercourse is at the heart of a union between a couple. Anal sex is an extremely poor counterfeit of nature's design. And two, anal sex is an inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning, clearly indicating a genetic defect.

While lesbian sex is simply unhealthy and demeaning, it still is a silly attempt by duplicate genders trying to imitate the design of evolution, the 'reunion' of diverse genders to one life form.
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181910 Mar 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
As I have noted many times before, I focus on one single aspect of gay sex for two reasons; One, intercourse is at the heart of a union between a couple. Anal sex is an extremely poor counterfeit of nature's design. And two, anal sex is an inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning, clearly indicating a genetic defect.
While lesbian sex is simply unhealthy and demeaning, it still is a silly attempt by duplicate genders trying to imitate the design of evolution, the 'reunion' of diverse genders to one life form.
But it isn't your decision what another couple wants to do, is it?
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181911 Mar 1, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
So when something changes nothing changes?
You really need help.
You think I was saying nothing changes?

You have a vivid imagination.
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181912 Mar 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
(Also, the fact that you focus so much on aspects of gay sex really makes me wonder...)

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#181913 Mar 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
As I have noted many times before, I focus on one single aspect of gay sex for two reasons; ..
Is it "gay sex" if lots of straight people do it, and most gay people don't? I believe it's called anal sex.

If you want the government to directly intervene and prevent all anal sex, then wouldn't that apply to straight folks as well? What kind of testing and regulation would you require the government to engage in to deny marriage license to any anal sex practitioners? Who would run it?

Who would pay for it?

And most importantly, who else but you would support it?

Location hidden

#181914 Mar 1, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Dummy, everyone is treated equally- no one is allowed to marry a person of the same sex and everyone is allowed to marry someone of the opposite sex.
You mean like there was no discrimination in preventing interracial marriages, since all black and white people could already marry someone of the same race?

That argument didn't work well, then. Why do you think it smells any better today?

Did the societal ideal suddenly begin to favor only loveless marriages of convenience? When did that happen?

Location hidden

#181915 Mar 1, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you wanted to deal with "what is?"
No it didn't. It only banned new marriages but preserved all of the EXISTING same sex marriages.

Another reason for it's silliness and it's unconstitutionality.

You can't claim to be "preserving or protecting" something, where there is living proof that what you are protecting it against causes no harm and only good.

Location hidden

#181916 Mar 1, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
In contrast, neither men nor women are disproportionately disadvantaged or burdened by the fact that New York's Domestic Relations Law allows only opposite-sex couples to marry—both genders are treated precisely the same way." Hernandez v Robles
Of course, that's patently absurd, since of COURSE gay men and lesbian women are disproportional disadvantages and burdened by such bans.

This reasoning counted only exist if there were no such thing as people who can only be attracted to the same gender.

Try proving that one.

That's why this type of reasoning has fallen out of favor legally.

Deal with it.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#181917 Mar 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I was scared and pumped on adrenaline. I jumped too soon. I misjudged how high we were. Maybe 12 feet. It hurt for a while and a little ever since but nothing debilitating until recently. Now I cannot walk and the docs aren't giving me a good prognosis. I had another surgery yesterday. Laposcopic surgery. Modern medicine is a blessing.
My age and the old injury combined, and here I am.
You're a real jerk and a creep, but I wouldn't wish it on you or anyone, Well maybe my ex wife...naaah. No one. Not even you or her.
Not being able to stand or walk is a life changing challenge. I'm up for it. I follow docs orders religiously.
Sorry to hear that. Was it a hot LZ? Where you in the 101, or 82nd
Edgar

Spring, TX

#181918 Mar 1, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
My communication skills aren't the problem, you comprehension skills are.
<quoted text>
We have been through this before Rose, even the court told you that you are an idiot:
But this is factually untrue in some states, akpilot, and soon to be so in more. Gay marriage is expanding.

Civil rights movements throughout history do not have a history of being snuffed out easily, at least in this country. Maybe in North Korea or China they do, but not here.

Sorry.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181919 Mar 1, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
IF New Jersey would allow it, you could get married to another man.

IF California didn't have prop 8, you could get married to another man.

IF you weren't so bigoted and paranoid, you'd support poly marriage.

IF you supported poly you wouldn't be a hypocrite!

IF you took your meds, you wouldn't be so angry.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181920 Mar 1, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry to hear that. Was it a hot LZ? Where you in the 101, or 82nd
I was in the Navy. SAR. Search and rescue.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181921 Mar 1, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamy was already banned. Prop 8 didn't ban something that was already illegal. It banned Same sex marriage. You guys can spin it all you like. Prop 8 is going down. If you think that means polygamy will become legal, you have bigger problems.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181922 Mar 1, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Prop 8 is still the law of the land in CA, try dealing with what is.

Boy are you dumb. And angry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
public officials violating federal laws 1 hr Un agenda 21 and ... 3
the music thread (Apr '12) Sat Musikologist 19
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Sat ikestubbs 1,535
News Letters: Charter application superior (Jan '11) May 21 Yin Simons 13
News Taking extraordinary measures to wear an extrao... May 18 outtogether 2
News Police: Armed robbery at Santa Cruz sandwich sh... May 11 bump 1
News Business on hold for P.G. pot club (Mar '10) May 9 Mike 8
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE