Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 7,923)

Showing posts 158,441 - 158,460 of200,323
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
The topic is Prop 8, retardo.
Yes. Shall I repeat my response to that? Did you forget already Miss Thing?

OK. I will! If the federal law against polygamy were to be repealed, the only thing stopping poly marriage in California would be PROPOSITION EIGHT.

And there's your topic! Prop 8! Whine about that fruitcake!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think this topic is about polygamy? Do you see the word polygamy anywhere in the article?
If the federal law against polygamy were to be repealed, the only thing stopping poly marriage in California would be PROPOSITION EIGHT.

Don't you agree with my post about PROPOSITION EIGHT Miss Thing?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage is the topic. You say the same irrelevant things over and over, hoping for the desired effect that never comes.
No, that's you.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Shall I repeat my response to that? Did you forget already Miss Thing?
OK. I will! If the federal law against polygamy were to be repealed, the only thing stopping poly marriage in California would be PROPOSITION EIGHT.
And there's your topic! Prop 8! Whine about that fruitcake!
Really, dumbo? You think when DOMA and Prop 8 go down, polygamy will become legal in California??? Really? What about California laws against bigamy? Did they just evaporate on your planet?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
If the federal law against polygamy were to be repealed, the only thing stopping poly marriage in California would be PROPOSITION EIGHT.
Don't you agree with my post about PROPOSITION EIGHT Miss Thing?
No, dumbass, I don't because you are incorrect.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Link
In the Brown lawsuit, Mr. Turley and Mr. Alba said the Brown family, members of the Apostolic United Brethren faith, has committed no crime except to live together,“motivated by their sincere religious beliefs and love for one another.”

States cannot “criminalize consensual intimate relationships, including homosexual relationships, between unmarried adults,” the lawyers wrote, citing the 2003 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Lawrence v. Texas.

And yet Utah has a law that forbids a legally married person from “purport[ing] to marry another person or cohabit[ing] with another person,” the lawyers wrote.

With this and other anti-polygamy laws, Utah “criminalizes not just polygamous marriages, but also an array of plural intimate relationships and associations of consenting adults,” Mr. Turley and Mr. Alba wrote.

The Brown family’s “basic liberties and equal protection” are being violated, they added, asking the court to “preliminarily and permanently” block enforcement of Utah’s laws that ban and criminalize polygamy.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/24...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, dumbo? You think when DOMA and Prop 8 go down, polygamy will become legal in California??? Really? What about California laws against bigamy? Did they just evaporate on your planet?
Prop 8 being defeated is one less hurdle to overcome in the legalization of polygamy in California.

Glad that makes you so angry! It makes me happy, I like equal rights for everyone. And especially for people you don't approve of.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is your long angry rants are straw men. Designed to avoid the real argument that you have lost long ago.
You say the same dumb things over and over hoping for the desired effect that never comes.
I am not trying to avoid the real argument, about the overturn of Prop 8 in California :)
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be so silly. This is a discussion forum.
I can discuss marriage equality for polygamists without a personal interest in a poly marriage and you can discuss same sex marriage without a personal interest in a same sex marriage.
I can discuss poly marriage without going out in the streets and campaigning, and you can discuss same sex marriage without going out in the streets and campaigning.
I am mostly the only one attempting to discuss marriage equality here. If I wasn't here this thread would be dead as a door nail.
Your attempts to censor me speak volumes. Why do you not give poly marriage the same consideration as same sex marriage?
I never said I didn’t

I’m not trying to censor you, I am just pointing out what you are doing to any newcomers so they don’t mistakenly take you as sincere, so they know you attack any supporters of SSM and are just using Poly as a way to do so.

Anyone that has been here a while already knows
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
In the Brown lawsuit, Mr. Turley and Mr. Alba said the Brown family, members of the Apostolic United Brethren faith, has committed no crime except to live together,“motivated by their sincere religious beliefs and love for one another.”
States cannot “criminalize consensual intimate relationships, including homosexual relationships, between unmarried adults,” the lawyers wrote, citing the 2003 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Lawrence v. Texas.
And yet Utah has a law that forbids a legally married person from “purport[ing] to marry another person or cohabit[ing] with another person,” the lawyers wrote.
With this and other anti-polygamy laws, Utah “criminalizes not just polygamous marriages, but also an array of plural intimate relationships and associations of consenting adults,” Mr. Turley and Mr. Alba wrote.
Ok....that's their argument... did the Court rule yet?

You do realize that the Brown's are NOT asking to have their marriage legally recognized, right?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Prop 8 being defeated is one less hurdle to overcome in the legalization of polygamy in California.
Glad that makes you so angry! It makes me happy, I like equal rights for everyone. And especially for people you don't approve of.
Was that an "ooops, I was wrong?" I didn't think so.... you don't have it in you to be honest.

p.s. your "angry" argument is a strawman.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said I didn’t
I’m not trying to censor you, I am just pointing out what you are doing to any newcomers so they don’t mistakenly take you as sincere, so they know you attack any supporters of SSM and are just using Poly as a way to do so.
Anyone that has been here a while already knows
Yep, but most have left.... looks like a few of us get some good giggles at Frankie's expense, though. And in a few months, this topic will be completely moot. So, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. Cheers!
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Glad that makes you so angry! It makes me happy, I like equal rights for everyone.
Well, aren't you the great humanitarian.....

Unfortunately, here in the USA, there is no Constitution guarantee of equal rights. The guarantee is equal protection under the law. How many times does that need to be repeated before learning occurs with you?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>Ok....that's their argument... did the Court rule yet?
You do realize that the Brown's are NOT asking to have their marriage legally recognized, right?
LOL I didn’t actually look the Brown's up, that is funny, as I was saying, most of these religious poly types are NOT looking for government recognition.

That would defeat several reasons for Poly marriage, particularly with government assistance programs.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not trying to avoid the real argument, about the overturn of Prop 8 in California :)
The slippery slope argument is VERY RELEVANT to the argument for same sex marriage. I have tried many times to tell you how to deal with it eloquently and intelligently. So that maybe someone will pay attention and realize yes it is real, but it DOESN'T MATTER. I can tell you reasons it doesn't matter.

But you refuse to listen preferring to shout it down and censor it as a way of dealing with it. Your approach is stupid. No one will change their minds when you act like that. Indeed, they will dig in deeper.

Your approach is counterproductive, achieving the opposite effect than what you hope.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text> Was that an "ooops, I was wrong?" I didn't think so.... you don't have it in you to be honest.
p.s. your "angry" argument is a strawman.
No your response is.

If the archaic federal law is repealed, as it should be because it's based on ignorance and prejudice, there will be one less hurdle to overcome in the legalization of polygamy.

California's bigamy law will be relatively easy to deal with as it's based on the federal law that will be no more.

You are nitpicking technicalities to avoid the real argument. Which is I support marriage equality and you do not.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Your approach is counterproductive, achieving the opposite effect than what you hope.
If you think anybody's mind has EVER been changed by a Topix post, you are Queen Naive. Puh-leez..... a guilt trip?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, aren't you the great humanitarian.....
Unfortunately, here in the USA, there is no Constitution guarantee of equal rights. The guarantee is equal protection under the law. How many times does that need to be repeated before learning occurs with you?
There is a guarantee of equal protection of the law, Miss Thing. Even for people you don't approve of.

When the federal law aginst poly is repealed, state laws will be easy to overcome. State laws to protect public morality by prohibiting what has been regarded as immoral sexual conduct just can't stand constitutional scrutiny.

Your arguments against equal protection for polygamists are dumb and ineffective. Try a different tack maybe?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
California's bigamy law will be relatively easy to deal with as it's based on the federal law that will be no more.
No it isn't. Bigamy laws were on the books well before DOMA.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I didn’t actually look the Brown's up, that is funny, as I was saying, most of these religious poly types are NOT looking for government recognition.
That would defeat several reasons for Poly marriage, particularly with government assistance programs.
As it is now, the government doesn't recognize poly so only one wife can receive benefits through her husband. The others are considered single mothers and get lots of free stuff as such. More than they would if the government recognized the wives.

So your "welfare cheat" argument is really stupid, it's caused by idiots like you and the government's dumb policies. To blame it on polygamists is ridiculous.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 158,441 - 158,460 of200,323
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••