Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#181483 Feb 26, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>Where was marriage in there? I missed it.
You don't get a marriage license/certificate from the government, you aren't legally married.
UNTRUE. Nearly all states have legally recognized common law marriages in the U.S. for centuries. No marriage license required.:)
Minced

Covina, CA

#181484 Feb 26, 2013
Meg O Ryan is on board, she must see some political gain coming from this jumping sides?
Minced

Covina, CA

#181485 Feb 26, 2013
Or is that Whitman? So hard to keep track of these "political boarder jumpers."

Mean these spinless Republicans switiching sides.
Rocky Marciano

Beacon, NY

#181486 Feb 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
UNTRUE. Nearly all states have legally recognized common law marriages in the U.S. for centuries. No marriage license required.:)
Sorry Foxy but if 9 states constitutes "All" then you'd be right but as it is only 9 states remain that have common law marriages! Back to the drawing board I guess! Have a nice day!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181488 Feb 27, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamy has been far more active than calling gay couples married.
In any culture. Anywhere. At any time.
Smile.
Wrong

Not in the US and certainly not lately, so not anywhere and anytime. Same Sex marriage is legal in 10 states and DC, how many is Poly legal in... I will give you a hint..... none

There are today over a hundred thousand legally married gay couples in the US alone, far more than Poly marriages

I am sure I would find the same true in the 17 other countries that legally marry same sex couples.

Welcome to today

However if Poly is so “active” why has there not been more of a push to make it legal?

However if Poly is so “active” why has there not been more of a push to make it legal?
Dorn

La Puente, CA

#181489 Feb 27, 2013
Allowing homosexual couples to marry and receive the same financial benefits that straight married couples have is the right thing to do.

If that should somehow result in allowing polygamous marriages, women should be allowed to have more than one husband as well as allowing men to marry more than one woman. This would not cause any more children to be born and would eleminate prostitution.

Time marches on: For the good of Planet Earth humans should stop overpopulating and using up the natual resourses which causes other species to go extinct.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#181490 Feb 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong
Not in the US and certainly not lately, so not anywhere and anytime. Same Sex marriage is legal in 10 states and DC, how many is Poly legal in... I will give you a hint..... none
There are today over a hundred thousand legally married gay couples in the US alone, far more than Poly marriages
I am sure I would find the same true in the 17 other countries that legally marry same sex couples.
Welcome to today
Ahhhhhh......but now that SSM is legal, the polygamists are coning out of the closet. The Brown family has cited SSM in their lawsuit(s), pushing for decriminalization of their marriage/life style.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181491 Feb 27, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, you're an idiot.
You disagree with that statement?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181492 Feb 27, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax twinkletoes. You really want me to re-post some of your cutest words describing me? Calm down. Anger management!
I don't use those words with any sexuality connotation whatsoever. I call my grandkids and girlfriend and even the mailman those silly words.
But screw that Fruitcake I am not interested in your loyalty test.
Lets entertain your newest straw man once again. So what if I was using them as "anti-gay epithets"?
Does that mean I am wrong about marriage rights for everyone, including people you disapprove of?
Do you even know what a strawman argument is? Obviously not.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#181493 Feb 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhhhh......but now that SSM is legal, the polygamists are coning out of the closet. The Brown family has cited SSM in their lawsuit(s), pushing for decriminalization of their marriage/life style.
Link
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181494 Feb 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
UNTRUE. 9 States have common law marriage. Common-law marriage can no longer be contracted in 27 states, and was never permitted in 13 states.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181495 Feb 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
...and you think that means something, do ya?

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#181496 Feb 27, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
According to gays, children cannot be considered as a basis for marriage. Why are you considering a scenario where they are?
Smile.
Please indicate how property disbursement will be allocated in a poly marriage where a man has say 4 wives.
wife # 1 , married 15 years,
wife #2, married 10 years,
wife #3 Married, 5 years,
wife # 4 married 1 year,
The husband wishes to divorce wife #1. Will she get the house, and a bulk of his assets? How will that be fair to the 3 remaining wives.
He wants to divorce all 4, how will the property be split, will it be based on duration of each marriage.
The husband dies, at that point all 4 are widows, tell me who will receive his social security, will each of them receive the same?
As you can see same sex marriages will not affect any standing laws.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181497 Feb 27, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know what a strawman argument is? Obviously not.
Sure we do, arguments about marrying your sister for example as an attack on Same Sex Marriage.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181498 Feb 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t care what the Brown family does, I have all the wives I need, and she tells me I am all she needs ( or can tolerate perhaps ) ;)
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181499 Feb 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure we do, arguments about marrying your sister for example as an attack on Same Sex Marriage.
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#181500 Feb 27, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.
Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181501 Feb 27, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.
Yes, like saying that Poly is a direct result of Same Sex Marriage, or the ability to marry your sister. That if you support one, you are supporting the other two.

I know.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181503 Feb 27, 2013
Rocky Marciano wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Foxy but if 9 states constitutes "All" then you'd be right but as it is only 9 states remain that have common law marriages! Back to the drawing board I guess! Have a nice day!
Aw shuddup Bill, you senile old jackass!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181504 Feb 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, like saying that Poly is a direct result of Same Sex Marriage, or the ability to marry your sister. That if you support one, you are supporting the other two.
I know.
No. It's like when I say poly marriage deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage and you retort "you're a liar".

Then I have to argue that I am not a liar (the straw man) and you get off the hook so you don't have to argue against equal rights.(the real argument).

Hope that helped. Let me know if you still don't understand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 hr L Morales 71,257
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 23 Kristen Scannell ... 2
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1

Freeze Warning for Monterey County was issued at December 26 at 2:34PM PST

Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info