Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201808 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181332 Feb 26, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
You know that marriage, of any sort is not guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution. Now some feel that this clause,"Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" does this, however its just a well-known phrase in the United States Declaration of Independence. Nevertheless it is not in the Constitution. Each state shall construct thier own set of laws, given that the laws do not over ride the Constitution. Many states have laws banning same sex marriage, as they, the law makers have defined marriage between one man and one woman. A few states now recognize same sex marriage, due to discriminatory laws, that ban them. One can only look to Iowa and see that. Now in the case of California, same sex marriage was legal, albeit for a short time, it was nevertheless legal. The legislators then put a voting initiative before the citizens of that state, asking if same sex marriage should be allowed. Now this happened on more than one occasion. As we all know the voters approved the measure, and later a Federal Judge struck down the ban as unconstitutional. You see one a right has been granted, its hard to remove it for a select group, Gays and Lesbians, based upon thier sexuality.
Polygamy has nothing to do with same sex marriage as it does not affect any standing laws with regards to divorce, Social security, medicare, medicaid, insurance, drivers licenses etc. The laws as they stand will work seamlessly. That how ever can not be said for Polygamy. Some opponents of same sex marriage, seem to think that by allowing SSM, it will then open the doors to further expansion of marriages, that will include, Polygamy, Incest, Plants and animals.
The "it's too complicated" denial of equal protection. Heard it from lots of other dummies. It's bogus. And a violation of the 14th amendment. It does not say "unless it would be complicated."

Yes. One movement builds on another. Marriage equality for same sex MARRIAGE will lead to equality for other forms of MARRIAGE including poly MARRIAGE. That's what equal means dummy. And that's how it should be. And that's how t is. Like it or lump it.

Poly MARRIAGE won't hurt you or anyone else. It deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage. They are both MARRIAGE and my choice is as good as your choice.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#181333 Feb 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
He already mentioned marrying his sister a while back, we are waiting for his desire to marry Goats.
His tactic is cartoonlike in its obviousness
Yes it is. He will not debate the subject. Just copy cut and paste. Its kind of like herding cats, it just does not work.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181334 Feb 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
He already mentioned marrying his sister a while back, we are waiting for his desire to marry Goats.
His tactic is cartoonlike in its obviousness
That's the most common tactic the dumb bigots against same sex marriage use. I see you have picked it up as very witty. It's not. It's stupid. Like the dopes that use it as a justification to deny rights.(you). Goats cannot enter into contracts anyway.

Why can't I marry my sister? After all, marriage has nothing to do with procreation, right? And modern science has debunked the old wives tales about how close relatives procreating causes medical problems.

Before you get stupid and even angrier, I don't want to marry more than one woman and I don't want to marry my sister, I just want to discuss all aspects of marriage equality. Why does that anger you so?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#181335 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
....
Yes. One movement builds on another. Marriage equality for same sex MARRIAGE will lead to equality for other forms of MARRIAGE including poly MARRIAGE......
Actually, you left out the first logical step.

In reality, it's the current ability of heterosexuals to marry that is the leading cause for other groups to demand the right to legally marry. Same sex couples are only asking for the SAME right to marry just one person.

However, same sex couples wanting the SAME right to marry one that already exists for ever heterosexual in the country is not similar to straight people demanding the right to marry, not only ONE, but many at one time.

Separate issues. Separate effects on society.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181336 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
The "it's too complicated" denial of equal protection. Heard it from lots of other dummies. It's bogus. And a violation of the 14th amendment. It does not say "unless it would be complicated."
Yes. One movement builds on another. Marriage equality for same sex MARRIAGE will lead to equality for other forms of MARRIAGE including poly MARRIAGE. That's what equal means dummy. And that's how it should be. And that's how t is. Like it or lump it.
Poly MARRIAGE won't hurt you or anyone else. It deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage. They are both MARRIAGE and my choice is as good as your choice.
But why do something that complex when few are even calling for it?

There arenít people out there getting signatures for propositions, except perhaps in your great state of marriage equality, Utah ( that is so funny, best laugh I have had on these forums yet, thanks )

Until there is actually a call for it, by people that are actually interested in investing their lives and donate for the cause as has happened with other such social change, nothing is going to happen.

so far all we have are fairly reclusive groups that donít even want government recognition, and a lunatic on an internet forum that has already admitted he is not personally interested in poly marriage at all.

Why would we change a plethora of civil laws, when no constituency is calling for it.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181337 Feb 26, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes it is. He will not debate the subject. Just copy cut and paste. Its kind of like herding cats, it just does not work.
You hit it on the head, it is a copy and paste argument, it is a play book used for decades against SSM, and meaningless

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#181338 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
The "it's too complicated" denial of equal protection. Heard it from lots of other dummies. It's bogus. And a violation of the 14th amendment. It does not say "unless it would be complicated."
Yes. One movement builds on another. Marriage equality for same sex MARRIAGE will lead to equality for other forms of MARRIAGE including poly MARRIAGE. That's what equal means dummy. And that's how it should be. And that's how t is. Like it or lump it.
Poly MARRIAGE won't hurt you or anyone else. It deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage. They are both MARRIAGE and my choice is as good as your choice.
Please indicate how property disbursement will be allocated in a poly marriage where a man has say 4 wives.

wife # 1 , married 15 years, 5 children
wife #2, married 10 years, 4 children
wife #3 Married, 5 years,3 children
wife # 4 married 1 year, 1 child

The husband wishes to divorce wife #1. Will she get the house, and a bulk of his assets? How will that be fair to the 3 remaining wives.

He wants to divorce all 4, how will the property be split, will it be based on duration of each marriage.

The husband dies, at that point all 4 are widows, tell me Frank who will receive his social security, for the children, will each of them receive the same?

As you can see same sex marriages will not affect any standing laws.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181340 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the most common tactic the dumb bigots against same sex marriage use. I see you have picked it up as very witty. It's not. It's stupid. Like the dopes that use it as a justification to deny rights.(you). Goats cannot enter into contracts anyway.
Why can't I marry my sister? After all, marriage has nothing to do with procreation, right? And modern science has debunked the old wives tales about how close relatives procreating causes medical problems.
Before you get stupid and even angrier, I don't want to marry more than one woman and I don't want to marry my sister, I just want to discuss all aspects of marriage equality. Why does that anger you so?
We have discussed that, waiting for news on your proposal to your goat

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#181341 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo
Union City, CA
Reply Ľ
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#181334 55 min ago
Judged:
4
4
4
Why can't I marry my sister? After all, marriage has nothing to do with procreation, right? And modern science has debunked the old wives tales about how close relatives procreating causes medical problems.

Before you get stupid and even angrier, I don't want to marry more than one woman and I don't want to marry my sister, I just want to discuss all aspects of marriage equality. Why does that anger you so?

Here ya go Frankie

Please indicate how property disbursement will be allocated in a poly marriage where a man has say 4 wives.
wife # 1 , married 15 years, 5 children
wife #2, married 10 years, 4 children
wife #3 Married, 5 years,3 children
wife # 4 married 1 year, 1 child
The husband wishes to divorce wife #1. Will she get the house, and a bulk of his assets? How will that be fair to the 3 remaining wives.
He wants to divorce all 4, how will the property be split, will it be based on duration of each marriage.
The husband dies, at that point all 4 are widows, tell me Frank who will receive his social security, for the children, will each of them receive the same?
As you can see same sex marriages will not affect any standing laws
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181342 Feb 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
We have discussed that, waiting for news on your proposal to your goat
That's the same dumb putdown and argument bigots use against same sex marriage. It's really dumb.

Why are you a dumb angry bigot?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181343 Feb 26, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please indicate how property disbursement will be allocated in a poly marriage where a man has say 4 wives.
wife # 1 , married 15 years, 5 children
wife #2, married 10 years, 4 children
wife #3 Married, 5 years,3 children
wife # 4 married 1 year, 1 child
The husband wishes to divorce wife #1. Will she get the house, and a bulk of his assets? How will that be fair to the 3 remaining wives.
He wants to divorce all 4, how will the property be split, will it be based on duration of each marriage.
The husband dies, at that point all 4 are widows, tell me Frank who will receive his social security, for the children, will each of them receive the same?
As you can see same sex marriages will not affect any standing laws.
The legal aspects of granting same sex marriage are pretty simple. Not much different than for traditional marriage. The legal aspects of polygamy will be more complicated. But not preventative. They are much less complicated than you think. They can easily be worked out.

But that's irrelevant. It's no reason to deny equal protection. Try again.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181344 Feb 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit it on the head, it is a copy and paste argument, it is a play book used for decades against SSM, and meaningless
It's way better than your "marry your goat" argument against marriage equality.

It's almost unbelievable you are so stupid as to use that dumb argument and not notice you're acting just like the bigots against SSM.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#181345 Feb 26, 2013
I find it difficult to see the logic of defending monogamous marriage as the historic norm when the laws of many states have already departed from the principle that it is heterosexual, monogamous marriage that is essential to social stability.

If heterosexuality is no longer legally, morally or socially relevant to marriage, why should monogamy continue to be so important?
Batting order

Covina, CA

#181346 Feb 26, 2013
Hi rizzo, aren't you going to be next up on the trial court issues in the city of Bell, California?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181347 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's way better than your "marry your goat" argument against marriage equality.
It's almost unbelievable you are so stupid as to use that dumb argument and not notice you're acting just like the bigots against SSM.
I talked to your sister, she doesnít want you, maybe your goat will.

( chuckle )

Frankie, we all know already, you have no actual interest in poly marriage, you donít actually want to marry your sister, and you are refraining from telling us about your feelings toward you goat.

You only use these subjects as a way to try and attack supporters of Same Sex Marriage

You arenít fooling anyone.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#181348 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
The legal aspects of granting same sex marriage are pretty simple. Not much different than for traditional marriage. The legal aspects of polygamy will be more complicated. But not preventative. They are much less complicated than you think. They can easily be worked out.
But that's irrelevant. It's no reason to deny equal protection. Try again.
We can only deny if a group officially asks from a legal perspective, presents the case, builds public support.

that takes some work, work you have already stated you are not willing to do.

( pleas mention Utah, I could use another laugh today )

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#181349 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
I find it difficult to see the logic of defending monogamous marriage as the historic norm when the laws of many states have already departed from the principle that it is heterosexual, monogamous marriage that is essential to social stability.
If heterosexuality is no longer legally, morally or socially relevant to marriage, why should monogamy continue to be so important?
It's important (or not so) to the couples involved. A great many people do indeed believe that it is relevant to marriage, and don't base their own actions on the actions of others who do not see it that way.

I personally believe that it is vital to maintaining a health marriage, although it is not natural to everyone. If it is not natural to you, and you cannot find someone to marry be believes just as you do, then marriage is not the right choice.

I have seen very few happy marriages where monogamy is optional. But it is not my place to decide that for anyone other than myself.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181350 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Striking down prop 8 bodes well for polgamy.
And I'm very glad that exposes your hypocrisy and makes you very angry.
Polygamy was illegal BEFORE Prop 8. I'm very glad that exposes your stupidity.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181351 Feb 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
I find it difficult to see the logic of defending monogamous marriage as the historic norm when the laws of many states have already departed from the principle that it is heterosexual, monogamous marriage that is essential to social stability.
If heterosexuality is no longer legally, morally or socially relevant to marriage, why should monogamy continue to be so important?
Who said heterosexuality is no longer relevant? Who says if one parameter is subject to change, all parameters become subject to change? Where do you get these stupid ideas?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#181352 Feb 26, 2013
Straight not zigzag wrote:
Gross, same sex relationships and marriage is just a perversion of love , next thing you know people who love their Dog so much they marry it. when humans make love they make children and not poop.
Next thing you know, closet queens might be forced out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letters: Charter application superior (Jan '11) 9 hr Yin Simons 13
News Taking extraordinary measures to wear an extrao... May 18 outtogether 2
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) May 14 Jokeabel 1,532
News Police: Armed robbery at Santa Cruz sandwich sh... May 11 bump 1
News Business on hold for P.G. pot club (Mar '10) May 9 Mike 8
News Looking Back at Monterey County: Fire on Canner... May 5 Joe 1
News Seaside street name could honor Obama (Feb '10) May 1 Apathy 99
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]