Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
157,421 - 157,440 of 200,582 Comments Last updated 36 min ago
Big D

Modesto, CA

#180443 Feb 20, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I am doing something about it. Hard as it is with you hypocrites shouting me down.
For someone who doesn't care about it, you sure care about it!
Seriously, why do you care so passionately for same sex marriage but not at all for polygamy?
It's as if you believe poly marriage doesn't deserve the same respect as same sex marriage. Is that it Bunky?
No I honestly donít give a crap about it, but anyone that tries to talk about the actual subject of this thread is immediately pounced upon by you desperately trying to turn the subject to this garbage.

So we indulge your little childishness for a while because you will harp on anyone that talks about anything other than this.

I donít give a crap about it because no rights are being denied, no one is being arrested for it, no rights are being violated. There is no call out for it other than an obsessed moron on a forum.

Most of the advocates of it donít currently want any involvement outside their tight little militaristic communities, and the ones arrested are arrested for crimes other than polygamy.

If my next door neighbor took a second wife, and moved her in, I probably would not even notice for a month., and even then his personal business is his.

No oneís right are being violated here, the children you mentioned were taking from a community that was practicing forced multiple marriages on unwilling underage girls to older men. They were NOT removed because of polygamy.

It has to be one of the most unenforced laws on record.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#180444 Feb 20, 2013
p.s. the reason you donít like my telling you to go do something about it is because you donít give a crap about polygamy either.

You only care about it as a way to attack supporters of same sex marriage and I keep pulling the rug out from under your stupid argument.

Which I will continue to do

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#180445 Feb 20, 2013
POLLS: DOMA Is Discrimination, Equality Is Inevitable

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/02/19/1610...

Two new polls released today show that the national momentum for supporting marriage equality continues.

The first poll, from the Respect for Marriage Coalition, found that American voters strongly support marriage equality, with 75 percent responding that the freedom to marry the person you love is a constitutional right. It seems clear that respondents appreciate the value of marriage equality, with 65 percent agreeing that it reflects offering ďequal human dignityĒ to all people. And while 62 percent believe changing the law will have no impact on them, 83 percent believe that change will happen within the next decade. In sum, marriage equality is the right thing to do, poses no threat to society, and is coming soon.

The second poll, from the Center for American Progress and Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD), further clarifies that voters see the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) as discriminatory. The poll focused on Section 3 of DOMA, which prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, even when theyíre legal in certain states. When the Supreme Court weighs the constitutionality of that law, the Justices might keep in mind that 59 percent oppose that law, with 62 percent agreeing that it is ďdiscrimination. Though overall support for marriage equality hovers around 52 percent, much stronger majorities (69 Ė 78 percent) believe same-sex couples deserve the same benefits other married couples receive.

The infographic below features results from the DOMA poll:

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#180446 Feb 20, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
No I honestly donít give a crap about it, but anyone that tries to talk about the actual subject of this thread is immediately pounced upon by you desperately trying to turn the subject to this garbage.
So we indulge your little childishness for a while because you will harp on anyone that talks about anything other than this.
I donít give a crap about it because no rights are being denied, no one is being arrested for it, no rights are being violated. There is no call out for it other than an obsessed moron on a forum.
Most of the advocates of it donít currently want any involvement outside their tight little militaristic communities, and the ones arrested are arrested for crimes other than polygamy.
If my next door neighbor took a second wife, and moved her in, I probably would not even notice for a month., and even then his personal business is his.
No oneís right are being violated here, the children you mentioned were taking from a community that was practicing forced multiple marriages on unwilling underage girls to older men. They were NOT removed because of polygamy.
It has to be one of the most unenforced laws on record.
You are wrong. We have perfectly good laws against child abuse. And there is no religious exceptions.

Prove that those 460 children were all victims of abuse. The government couldn't. Good luck.

Don't perpetuate hate. You are completely wrong about polygamy. Please educate yourself. Myself and others have posted excellent links on happy, well adjusted polygamous families. You don't open them.

It's just like everything else, easy to be hard on groups you don't know. Hard to do it when you know them as normal loving committed adults. Please try and educate yourself or just ignore me. But to keep coming back over and over ordering me to take it to court is getting SO OLD. I will discuss it without following your orders whether you like it or not.

Hell, just watch one of the silly reality TV shows on poly. How can you say you don't care about these people? Are those people raping children you dumbass? Are they married to 13 year olds? Are the Jeffs? Stop being stupid.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#180447 Feb 20, 2013
Some people in same sex marriages abuse their spouses. Does this mean same sex marriage should be illegal?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#180448 Feb 20, 2013
Wat the Tyler wrote:
Two new polls released today show that the national momentum for supporting marriage equality continues.
The first poll, from the Respect for Marriage Coalition, found that American voters strongly support marriage equality, with 75 percent responding that the freedom to marry the person you love is a constitutional right. It seems clear that respondents appreciate the value of marriage equality, with 65 percent agreeing that it reflects offering ďequal human dignityĒ to all people. And while 62 percent believe changing the law will have no impact on them, 83 percent believe that change will happen within the next decade. In sum, marriage equality is the right thing to do, poses no threat to society, and is coming soon.
The second poll, from the Center for American Progress and Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD), further clarifies that voters see the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) as discriminatory. The poll focused on Section 3 of DOMA, which prohibits the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, even when theyíre legal in certain states. When the Supreme Court weighs the constitutionality of that law, the Justices might keep in mind that 59 percent oppose that law, with 62 percent agreeing that it is ďdiscrimination. Though overall support for marriage equality hovers around 52 percent, much stronger majorities (69 Ė 78 percent) believe same-sex couples deserve the same benefits other married couples receive.
Yes DOMA is discriminatory against polygamists too. Good riddance to it!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#180449 Feb 20, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. We have perfectly good laws against child abuse. And there is no religious exceptions.
Prove that those 460 children were all victims of abuse. The government couldn't. Good luck.
Don't perpetuate hate. You are completely wrong about polygamy. Please educate yourself. Myself and others have posted excellent links on happy, well adjusted polygamous families. You don't open them.
It's just like everything else, easy to be hard on groups you don't know. Hard to do it when you know them as normal loving committed adults. Please try and educate yourself or just ignore me. But to keep coming back over and over ordering me to take it to court is getting SO OLD. I will discuss it without following your orders whether you like it or not.
Hell, just watch one of the silly reality TV shows on poly. How can you say you don't care about these people? Are those people raping children you dumbass? Are they married to 13 year olds? Are the Jeffs? Stop being stupid.
I donít need to prove it, it was already proved by the people that removed them, go do your own research, I donít report to you.

I am not ordering you do to anything, I am suggesting you actually take up the cause, or stop your incessant whining

posting in a forum whining that you donít have poly marriage wonít do anything for you, zip.... nada.

Supporters of same sex marriage organized, brought lawyers to bear on civil action and are making progress.

You have nothing.. and you do nothing but whine and cry and complain that someone else doesnít take up your cause for you.

well screw you kiddo, you want something done... go do it. Donít whine around here for others to do it for you, we arenít into the kind of welfare you are asking for.

I am already educated on the subject, you donít seem to know anything at all. You donít even comprehend the image problem your pet cause has, so.... the way to teach you is to have you go out and get the signatures, after a couple of weeks of that, you just might be aware that you have an image problem.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#180450 Feb 20, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, except for the simple fact that the majority of gay folks don't engage in it, and the majority of straight folks have tried it.
And how would you go about identifying who is gay by this factor?
By this standard, the majority of folks would be gay, wouldn't they?
I think that means you are completely surrounded.
The huge difference is that straights have an option, gays don't. However, in either case, Anal sex is inherently Harmful, unhealthy and demeaning. Moreover, MOST people don't engage in anal sex. Something about common sense...

Smirk.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#180452 Feb 20, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with anal sex. But your "simple fact" is spin.
The "simple fact" is that most gay men engage in anal sex and most straight men don't.
Sex is fun! With whatever consenting adult partner(s) you like. Enjoy! But be safe.
Well Franke....you know what they say....if sex is a pain the the arse...you're doing it the wrong way!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#180453 Feb 20, 2013
Wat the Tyler wrote:
DOMA also bans plural marriage, that too is discriminatory. Marriage equality for all.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#180454 Feb 20, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The huge difference is that straights have an option, gays don't. However, in either case, Anal sex is inherently Harmful, unhealthy and demeaning. Moreover, MOST people don't engage in anal sex. Something about common sense...
Smirk.
Is that the same kind of common sense that has you believing in talking snakes, magic trees, a rib woman etc?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#180455 Feb 20, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít need to prove it, it was already proved by the people that removed them, go do your own research, I donít report to you.
I am not ordering you do to anything, I am suggesting you actually take up the cause, or stop your incessant whining
posting in a forum whining that you donít have poly marriage wonít do anything for you, zip.... nada.
Supporters of same sex marriage organized, brought lawyers to bear on civil action and are making progress.
You have nothing.. and you do nothing but whine and cry and complain that someone else doesnít take up your cause for you.
well screw you kiddo, you want something done... go do it. Donít whine around here for others to do it for you, we arenít into the kind of welfare you are asking for.
I am already educated on the subject, you donít seem to know anything at all. You donít even comprehend the image problem your pet cause has, so.... the way to teach you is to have you go out and get the signatures, after a couple of weeks of that, you just might be aware that you have an image problem.
"I don't need to prove it." Yes you do, when you accuse people of crimes, the burden of proof is on you.

The government dropped the case due to lack of evidence and returned the traumatized children to their loving biological parents. Oprah went there and declared it cool. Oprah approved! What the hell more do you want bigot?

The government could have gone in a seized the real criminals, instead they arrested everybody and put their children in the notorious Texas child care system. Nice! But you don't care.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#180456 Feb 20, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb fluckered

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#180457 Feb 20, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smirk.
Gay people don't have an opinion, my aren't you a bigot.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#180458 Feb 20, 2013
On the basis of one anonymous phone call (that later appeared to be a hoax), Texas authorities forcibly removed more than 460 children from their parents without evidence of actual abuse in each case. Parents and children were ordered to undergo DNA testing (Who knows how long the state will maintain the DNA database, or to what uses it will be put?), and the children were summarily consigned to the notorious Texas foster-care system. They were subsequently reunited with their parents on order of Texas courts, which rightly held that the state had acted unlawfully, but who knows how much damage was done?

“Reality bites”

Location hidden

#180459 Feb 20, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.google.com/imgres?q =duct+tape&hl=en&biw=1 024&bih=618&tbm=isch &tbnid=kn70Ltv7saMNCM: &imgrefurl=http://wehearti t.com/entry/30337068&docid =UR9BrWtNa_QRCM&imgurl=htt p://data.whicdn.com/images/303 37068/the-truth-about-duct-tap e_large.jpg&w=460&h=49 8&ei=uQMlUdT5FO3o2gWM9ICwD w&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,i :171&iact=rc&dur=1051 &sig=106557996882417990628 &page=1&tbnh=185&t bnw=172&start=0&ndsp=1 0&tx=61&ty=114

just sayin
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#180460 Feb 20, 2013
Of course, Iím not suggesting that any parent have a religious right to harm their children by denying them medical care, subjecting them to sexual molestation, or otherwise abusing them. Iím simply pointing out that the state should not abuse the power to prosecute people or forcibly remove their children because authorities donít approve of their ďlifestyle.Ē Gay men were once routinely suspected of being pedophiles, a suspicion that persists today but with considerably less prevalence and respectability. Indeed, opposition to gay marriage still relies on specious arguments about the harm it poses to children. Some fools still compare homosexuality to bestiality, just as the Supreme Court once compared polygamy to human sacrifice. We progress when we base the extension of rights on reason, not bias or judicial hyperbole.

Excerpts from:

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#180461 Feb 20, 2013
Same-sex marriages give polygamy a legal boost

By Valerie Richardson-The Washington Times Sunday, March 20, 2011

The outlook for polygamy hasn't been this good since Abraham took Keturah as his third wife.

Plural marriage remains illegal, but it's undergoing an image upgrade as a result of television shows like HBO's "Big Love" and TLC's "Sister Wives." More significantly, it's getting a legal boost from a strange bedfellow: the success of same-sex marriage.

Gay-rights advocates cringe whenever the connection is made between same-sex and plural marriage, but more than a few legal analysts say the recent gains posted by gay marriage in the courts and state legislatures cannot help but bolster the case for legalized polygamy.

The federal government and most states define marriage as an institution between one man and one woman. If marriage is redefined to include two people of the same sex, the argument goes, then it can be redefined to include more than two people.

Critics reject the polygamy comparison, arguing that marriage's definition as a union of two people remains inviolable. They also dismiss the specter of legalized polygamy as a scare tactic used by the traditional-marriage camp to chill public support for same-sex marriage.

Claiming much deeper roots in human society than gay marriage, plural marriage has been practiced for centuries in nations and cultures across the globe and has ties to both Christianity and Islam. Same-sex marriage is a recent phenomenon confined to the secular West.

"Unlike same-sex marriage, which has no historical roots and is a new frontier ó you can't say the same thing about polygamy," said Austin Nimocks, attorney for the conservative Alliance Defense Fund, which opposes same-sex marriage. "There's a cultural underpinning and support for plural marriage, so one could say the case is actually stronger for plural marriage."

Wayne McCormack, dean of the University of Utah law school, predicted a pro-polygamy legal challenge based on recent court decisions in favor of same-sex marriage is all but inevitable. Five states and the District of Columbia now recognize gay marriage.

"I don't have any doubt we'll see it," said Mr. McCormack. "It's going to play out after same-sex marriage is resolved, but we're going to get new cases."

He pointed to a case now before a Canadian judge testing the national ban on polygamy. British Columbia Chief Justice Robert Bauman is expected to rule later this year on whether anti-polygamy laws violate Canada's constitution. Canada legalized same-sex marriage in 2005.

"What the Canadian court is looking at is whether restrictions against polygamy are a denial of personal liberty," said Mr. McCormack. "They're using the same arguments that we see used here to support gay marriage."

If U.S. courts do eventually legalize plural marriage, there's an excellent chance that the attorney for the plaintiffs will be Brian Barnard,, he has been challenging anti-polygamy laws for decades.

"We haven't been successful, but we think the times are a-coming," said Mr. Barnard, who serves as legal director for the Utah Civil Rights and Liberties Foundation.
At the same time, he said, it won't just happen automatically if and when gay marriage becomes the law of the land. Unlike Canadian courts, which can take up constitutional questions without being presented with a case, the pro-polygamy side will need a case, and so far that's been the problem.

Eight years ago, Mr. Barnard brought a case on behalf of a man and woman who were denied a marriage license because he was already married. The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected their claim

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/...
Big D

Modesto, CA

#180462 Feb 20, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
"I don't need to prove it." Yes you do, when you accuse people of crimes, the burden of proof is on you.
The government dropped the case due to lack of evidence and returned the traumatized children to their loving biological parents. Oprah went there and declared it cool. Oprah approved! What the hell more do you want bigot?
The government could have gone in a seized the real criminals, instead they arrested everybody and put their children in the notorious Texas child care system. Nice! But you don't care.
I have net accused anyone of any crimes at all, they were accused ( and convicted ) by the courts. I am just making you aware of it as you seem totally ignorant of the event.

I am not the law ( or Judge Dred )

I donít know why they did it in the order that they did, but I can assume their first concern was to remove the children from a real an imminent threat. Go talk to themÖ that is who you have an issue with. Whining and crying on a forum here will get you nowhere, you have an issue with itÖ go do something about it.

I think we are getting to the base of your desire for polygamy, here you are defending the convicted criminals now.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#180463 Feb 20, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Franke....you know what they say....if sex is a pain the the arse...you're doing it the wrong way!
And if it's real messy, you're doing it the right way!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 32 min JOEL 68,975
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 8 hr Macko mono 5,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 17 hr Tank ever 7,926
First City Festival 2014 Brings Ugly Rock Metal... Thu JoeMama 2
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Thu Money 1
Mills brothers face new lawsuits over loans (Nov '08) Tue Plain Simple 16
MONTEREY HERALD LOSS monterey bay, monterey cit... Aug 26 roensoledad 2
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••