Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 20 comments on the Aug 4, 2010, www.cnn.com story titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#171576 Dec 18, 2012
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage.

And now SCOTUS will hear the case. How can they come to any other conclusion than Prop8 is discriminatory?
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#171577 Dec 18, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage.
And now SCOTUS will hear the case. How can they come to any other conclusion than Prop8 is discriminatory?
I can't wait for reality to happen...
you won't like it...
Big D

Modesto, CA

#171578 Dec 18, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage.
And now SCOTUS will hear the case. How can they come to any other conclusion than Prop8 is discriminatory?
I donít think they can, the supporters of the prop did not have a leg to stand on In court

I think the real question is, will they came back with the narrow division that will overturn it in California, or the broad decision that will have consequences nation wide

I give it 60/40 with a 60% Chance for the narrow result, and 40% for the broader one.

I would prefer the broader decision but will not be disappointed for the narrow.

“what are you talking about you”

Since: Mar 11

schlappington, by god

#171579 Dec 18, 2012
Quigley wrote:
Still waiting for logic instead of rashed out wacked out republican
*nod*
&li st=PL4AE0C04E00215A84&inde x=1
frig my lifes!

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

#171581 Dec 18, 2012
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít think they can, the supporters of the prop did not have a leg to stand on In court
I think the real question is, will they came back with the narrow division that will overturn it in California, or the broad decision that will have consequences nation wide
I give it 60/40 with a 60% Chance for the narrow result, and 40% for the broader one.
I would prefer the broader decision but will not be disappointed for the narrow.
I would prefer the broad too!

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

#171582 Dec 18, 2012
Cooterbob wrote:
<quoted text>
*nod*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =3Ephh9J5BWQXX&list=PL4AE0 C04E00215A84&index=1
frig my lifes!
Funny!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#171583 Dec 18, 2012
Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
I would prefer the broad too!
LOL

From a Squid I can only take that one way

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

#171584 Dec 18, 2012
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
From a Squid I can only take that one way
Haze gray and underway! In blue water, not brown!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x86oci_haze-...
Big D

Modesto, CA

#171585 Dec 18, 2012
Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
Haze gray and underway! In blue water, not brown!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x86oci_haze-...
LOL there is not a squid alive that as sailed in any deeper water than I have.

I have been all over the pacific, including over the trench

Granted I was down in an engine compartment most watches ... as I said... bilge snipe.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

#171586 Dec 18, 2012
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL there is not a squid alive that as sailed in any deeper water than I have.
I have been all over the pacific, including over the trench
Granted I was down in an engine compartment most watches ... as I said... bilge snipe.
I was a brown shoe.(From envy, often modified by non-aviation types with the adjective "f*cking").

Snipes used to get nose bleeds from the altitude the rare times they came up to the flight deck. All pasty white, they'd catch a sun burn in 10 minutes.

My son was a snipe.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#171587 Dec 18, 2012
Ahh, Our snipes got along with the Airedales,( in the Coast Guard they were Airedales ) as we had a lot in common, we had Major ship parties in the Hilo Hanger, usually one big party per trip, Hump day party, although the captain authorized a second party on one extended mission on Deep Freeze 76, homecoming party.

I am pretty sure it was not legal but a pallet of beer would show up at each party, rule was there was not to be a single beer left when the party was over, you drink your allotted 2 beers or in the trash it would go. No one ever would say a word when we got back to port about it though, we knew if anyone taled about it, it would stop.

I would never have stood on both poles if not for the Airedales, they always found a reason to have a few of us Snipes with them when they went.
After d is F

West Covina, CA

#171588 Dec 18, 2012
So on and so on.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

#171589 Dec 18, 2012
Big D wrote:
Ahh, Our snipes got along with the Airedales,( in the Coast Guard they were Airedales ) as we had a lot in common, we had Major ship parties in the Hilo Hanger, usually one big party per trip, Hump day party, although the captain authorized a second party on one extended mission on Deep Freeze 76, homecoming party.
I am pretty sure it was not legal but a pallet of beer would show up at each party, rule was there was not to be a single beer left when the party was over, you drink your allotted 2 beers or in the trash it would go. No one ever would say a word when we got back to port about it though, we knew if anyone taled about it, it would stop.
I would never have stood on both poles if not for the Airedales, they always found a reason to have a few of us Snipes with them when they went.
Brown shoes are called airedales in the Navy too. Don't wear brown shoes anymore though.

I flew SAR missions off two different aircraft carriers (two tours) on Yankee Station from 1968 to 1971. I was a high tech type and I would salvage top secret electronics from our downed aircraft before the NVA or VC could. They sent me cause I knew what to destroy or take away and how to get it out fast.

Took a little side trip to North Korea when they shot down one of our planes. So got the medal, tee shirt and hat for the Korean War too.

Signed up for The Navy so I wouldn't be drafted into the meat grinder of the Army infantry etc. Worked out good for me. Used the GI Bill when I got out to get a MS in geology. Was a geologist for the USGS for 33 years. I owe it all to the Navy slapping my young dumbass into shape and squaring me the f*ck away!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#171590 Dec 18, 2012
Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
Brown shoes are called airedales in the Navy too. Don't wear brown shoes anymore though.
I flew SAR missions off two different aircraft carriers (two tours) on Yankee Station from 1968 to 1971. I was a high tech type and I would salvage top secret electronics from our downed aircraft before the NVA or VC could. They sent me cause I knew what to destroy or take away and how to get it out fast.
Took a little side trip to North Korea when they shot down one of our planes. So got the medal, tee shirt and hat for the Korean War too.
Signed up for The Navy so I wouldn't be drafted into the meat grinder of the Army infantry etc. Worked out good for me. Used the GI Bill when I got out to get a MS in geology. Was a geologist for the USGS for 33 years. I owe it all to the Navy slapping my young dumbass into shape and squaring me the f*ck away!
I donít blame you for that, the army was a meat grinder in those days

Vietnam was still on, but winding down when I joined. I was dissatisfied with my life and the direction it was going, friends either in jail or heading in that direction. Wanted to change things, didnít think I would handle the army or marines well, thought about the Air Force and Navy, almost joined the Coast Guard on a whim. Had not put a lot of thought into it at the time, I was pretty young.

Ended up being quite an adventure, 2 years on an Ice Breaker, USCGC Burton Island.

but it did do what I intended it to, turned my life around.

SAR missions? You would have fit right in, a lot of Coast guard missions are SAR

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

#171591 Dec 18, 2012
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít blame you for that, the army was a meat grinder in those days
Vietnam was still on, but winding down when I joined. I was dissatisfied with my life and the direction it was going, friends either in jail or heading in that direction. Wanted to change things, didnít think I would handle the army or marines well, thought about the Air Force and Navy, almost joined the Coast Guard on a whim. Had not put a lot of thought into it at the time, I was pretty young.
Ended up being quite an adventure, 2 years on an Ice Breaker, USCGC Burton Island.
but it did do what I intended it to, turned my life around.
SAR missions? You would have fit right in, a lot of Coast guard missions are SAR
I smoked a big fatty on the Brooklyn to Manhattan ferry one day while contemplating what I should do about my impending draft notice.

Enjoying a fine buzz while cruising along on the big ferry, the Navy and the sea struck my fancy. Signed up the next day. Went to Great Lakes boot camp ("Great Mistakes") from November through February. Brrrrrr!

Yes indeed. Turned my life around too. Still a little hungover.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

#171592 Dec 18, 2012
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít blame you for that, the army was a meat grinder in those days
Vietnam was still on, but winding down when I joined. I was dissatisfied with my life and the direction it was going, friends either in jail or heading in that direction. Wanted to change things, didnít think I would handle the army or marines well, thought about the Air Force and Navy, almost joined the Coast Guard on a whim. Had not put a lot of thought into it at the time, I was pretty young.
Ended up being quite an adventure, 2 years on an Ice Breaker, USCGC Burton Island.
but it did do what I intended it to, turned my life around.
SAR missions? You would have fit right in, a lot of Coast guard missions are SAR
I went in with the SAR crew. They rescued the pilot, I rescued the top secret electronics. Usually the aircraft and the pilot were far apart as the pilot had ejected before the crash ideally. Picked up the pilot first. Then it was my turn to fetch the top secret gear. Or destroy it. If the enemy was already there we'd call in an air strike and hightail it out of there.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#171596 Dec 18, 2012
Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
I went in with the SAR crew. They rescued the pilot, I rescued the top secret electronics. Usually the aircraft and the pilot were far apart as the pilot had ejected before the crash ideally. Picked up the pilot first. Then it was my turn to fetch the top secret gear. Or destroy it. If the enemy was already there we'd call in an air strike and hightail it out of there.
I never did any of that kind of stuff myself, my second 3 years were spent on Yerba Buena Island which most people mistake and call Treasure island, it is the natural island on the bay bridge to San Francisco.

I was a firefighter, but scheduled on boat watch crews on duty days, usually pulled jumpers out of the water under the GG bridge. You could call it SAR, but they were always already dead, and we have to knock the sharks off of them before pulling them on board.

Most interesting story there was an inspection on a large sailboat. It was obviously overladen and the crew looked pretty scummy, so we took our longest hair and laid back looking guardsman, he pulled the shirt tails out of his pants and tried to look like he didnít give a crap and boarded them for a safety inspection.

He check thier life preservers and other small crap, gave them a certificate of passage and left.. he told us the boat was just packed to the gills with bales of what was obviously Marijuana, he said it was all over the deck.

The sailboat headed into Oakland and we informed the police and then backed them up with a 50 footer, I donít know if you have seen a Coast guard 50 footer but it will scare the pants off anything smaller, and some things quite a bit larger. A 50 footer will really move, they are designed to catch fast boats.

I wasnít on the 50, but was told there was a firefight on the docks with the Oakland police when they showed up, the cut loose ( just into the water ) with the twin 50 caliber machine guns behind the sailboat and they surrendered to the police.

The police told the boat captain that they would have surrendered too after hearing that.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#171598 Dec 18, 2012
Oops it wasnt a 50 footer, it was an 82

50 footers dont have those kinds of guns
Goldlines

West Covina, CA

#171599 Dec 18, 2012
A fat-headed mindless Senior citizen abuser was a speaker Saturday December 15, 2012 bridge grand opening.

This electd official has been a abuser ever since he was in public school.
Skunk holler bill

Charlottesville, VA

#171600 Dec 18, 2012
I was in the bay in a 21 foot fishing boat. I have never smoked dope or been in trouble. I decided to join the USAF and stayed 21 yrs. It was cold on the bay tho and I ended up flying in Vietnam 190 missions and three very romantic tours. A life changing experience for me. Now all I want to do is ride my motorcycle to the next stop. Wherever that may be??? I am very happy now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 19 rabbee yehoshooah... 71,942
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Apr 18 BrocSD 8
News Four suspects still at large in Monterey Penins... Apr 15 M JC 29 1
News Jewish-Christian charity helps Ukrainians move ... Apr 3 Azat 1
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Apr 2 svorpion 1,531
News Homicide suspect Victor Cabrera has long histor... (Oct '08) Mar '15 mando 12
News Carmel waste broker accused of bribery (Dec '08) Mar '15 Gary 16
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]