Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
146,161 - 146,180 of 200,565 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Winston Smith

Germantown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

AscendedFalmer wrote:
<quoted text>
We have other evidence to provide us with that kind of knowledge. Scientists have not detected an atmosphere, with telescopes or sensors, both of which produce visual evidence, and therefore they infer that there is a vacuum on Pluto, like the rest of space. We also have electron microscopes to physically see subatomic particles. Your examples don't make much sense.
My question was directed at Rose. Specifically for limiting existence to HER being able to see, touch, and hear something. I recognise that there are other means of detecting somethings existence and I recognise that sight, touch, and sound are methods that will prove something exists. I also recognise that not being able to detect something doesn't mean it does not exist, hence the other qualifiers like proving an elephant isn't in someone's bathtub vs proving one is in my own.

Be aware that I am not religious at all and am not advocating for the existence of God or many gods. Or satan for that matter. I am taking a stance as the devil's advocate. Rose has failed to show proof of no God and offered up conflicting dialogue in reference to proof of other things. Proof isn't established by a lack of evidence of something's presence. I use the fossil record as an example. Rose expanded upon that with the possibility of unknown creatures having not been discovered yet. If one wants to prove something doesn't exist they must search out every corner of the universe (and possibly parallel ones) to do so.
Winston Smith

Germantown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Pluto has too little gravity. But, ok.
Trivia question: How many moons does Earth have?
Too little gravity for what?

How many people are showing you their backsides?
NIX Willard

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Penn State is a poster child for being a republican idiot

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was this promised?
"And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." John 14:13
akpidiot wrote:
BTW Rose, what makes you think the "god" of the bible is the only possibility?
I don't, but when I'm talking about "god", I'm talking about that one. If "god" can mean anything, there is nothing to debate.
akpidiot wrote:
You can no more prove that an all knowing, all powerful, ever present being doesn't exist, than it can be proven that one does.
<quoted text>
Odd, you forgot to add something like, "that promises to answer our prayers."
akpidiot wrote:
We are all pretty sure you are living on another planet Rose. You seem to function just fine with only one brain cell. The fact that you are as ignorant as you are yet still survive may be all the proof we need that there is in fact a "god".
Just lame insults, no real arguments. Typical of your posts.

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You have offered no proof of God's existence or lack of existence. Can you see, touch or hear the vacuum on the far side of Pluto?
Unlike god, the vacuum on the far side of Pluto isn't ever present.
Winston Smith wrote:
Can you see, hear, or touch the subatomic particles that make up a fraction of one of your vertebrae?
No, so what?
Never claimed I could.
Winston Smith wrote:
Can you prove that someone doesn't have an elephant in their tub somewhere else on the planet?
No. Um, so what?
Never claimed I could.
Winston Smith wrote:
If seeing, hearing, or touching something is your litmus test for the existence of something you're not going to be able to prove that man is capable of thought.
I never made that claim. Many things exist that we can't see, hear or touch.
I said if GOD exists, there would be evidence for his existence.
What makes god unique? God is supposed to be all powerful, ever present, all knowing, all that, AND involved in our lives, supposed to answer our prayers. Can't say that about the vacuum on the far side of Pluto.
Paperbags

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Here is the best place to find baggers filth.

http://teapartyatperrysburg.blogspot.com/2012...

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
It does make sense, and the point it, claiming something doesn't exists simply because we lack evidence is foolish. If that is true, we should tell scientists to just give up, they are wasting their time trying to discover new things.
To accept this logic one must accept that Dinosaur's didn't exist prior to 1824 when William Buckland discovered and assigned a scientific name to the newly discovered animal species. Prior to that there was no evidence of their existence, thus they did not exist.
Fact is, those whom believe in a "god" and those whom do not, arrive at their respective conclusions the same way- FAITH!

Why not deal with my actual argument?
And it's silly to say I reached my conclusion that there is no god via faith. I reached it via evidence, or should I say, lack of any evidence.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
...I never made that claim...
Yes you did.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike god, the vacuum on the far side of Pluto isn't ever present.
<quoted text>
No, so what?
Never claimed I could.
<quoted text>
No. Um, so what?
Never claimed I could.
<quoted text>
I never made that claim. Many things exist that we can't see, hear or touch.
I said if GOD exists, there would be evidence for his existence.
What makes god unique? God is supposed to be all powerful, ever present, all knowing, all that, AND involved in our lives, supposed to answer our prayers. Can't say that about the vacuum on the far side of Pluto.
It's pretty obvious that god is created by man...look at all the human traits s/he has. jealousy, petty vindictiveness. poor parenting.

The fact that most gods are just re-hashed from previous god myths tells the rest of the tale...

myths are fun, but not useful in guiding your life...
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You can assume anything you like. But just like god, you cannot prove your assertions one way or another having no personal knowledge of me.
We are gaining knowledge every day. We are cloning animals, engineering DNA, traveling to far off planets, walking on the moon... You simply assume that we are the first to have done so, you assume that we are the smartest, most intelligent, most powerful creature on the block. Your assumption may be wrong, it may be right, but you cannot prove it either way.
Again, your conclusion is simply faith based.
None of my conclusions are faith based, you don’t have the perspective to understand the difference between evidence and lack thereof

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
The New Family Structure Study (NFSS) suggests notable differences on many outcomes do, in fact, exist [between same-sex, intact-married, and biological homes]. This is inconsistent with claims of ‘no differences’ generated by studies that have commonly employed far narrower samples than this one.”
Compared with off-spring from married, intact mother/father homes, children raised in same-sex homes are markedly more likely to…
Not a fair comparison. How do we know the differences aren't due to the parents' marital status, and that their gender is irrelevant?

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

luv Sarah Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol ,cute but I would not say Obama was purple.
You know what I am thinking?
The fun I am going to have humiliating you and Rose come Nov. 7 but I am not mean so it will be in good fun and funny.
Let's say Obama does lose. How would that be humiliating to me? It's not like he would have quit, like some former governors I could mention and I then decided to go by the handle "luv Obama".
I'll tell you what's humiliating...being so STUPID you thought an article in "The Onion" was a real news article!
I'm having fun humiliating you now.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a fair comparison. How do we know the differences aren't due to the parents' marital status, and that their gender is irrelevant?
According to you, marriage is just a legal contract. Hardly a reason for poor parenting.

Most people would look to several other more obvious reasons.

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Tata wrote:
Ok I'm going to take a break from this dumb thread for a while, so don't beleive that chimp; Rose da Ho when he/she tells you it had me removed lol.
The last thing I'd do is have a "tata" removed.
Tata wrote:
We all know that no one listens to a chimp. I'll bring you back a fresh batch of bananas when I return Rose, if you've been a good chimp while I'm away you can have them ...
It's really funny that all you racist fundies say what I post doesn't matter, but all you do it talk about me.
Look at your post. Any mention of the subject? No. Any mention of any other posters? No.
Just me.
You ladies protest way too much.

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>It's pretty obvious that god is created by man...look at all the human traits s/he has. jealousy, petty vindictiveness. poor parenting.
The fact that most gods are just re-hashed from previous god myths tells the rest of the tale...
myths are fun, but not useful in guiding your life...
Yep.
And people just made up god, then claim it takes just as much faith to not believe in hi as it does to believe in him.

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Pluto has too little gravity. But, ok.
Trivia question: How many moons does Earth have?
Can't be one, otherwise you wouldn't have asked.
None?
The earth and moon revolve around a their mutual center of gravity?

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
According to you, marriage is just a legal contract. Hardly a reason for poor parenting.
Actually, legally binding agreements are very important.
And the fact they did enter that legal contract says something.
KiMare wrote:
Most people would look to several other more obvious reasons.

I'm just pointing out the fact that the study was not set up properly. They should have compared situations that were as similar as possible except for gender differences.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Pluto is in a system of quite a few bodies ( call them moons if you like )

All orbit their collective center of gravity

Rose is correct
buibv

Lampasas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

t7re7cklkvs
buoiibfuy

Lampasas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

bvgui igu

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 min JOEL 68,932
My fears for Doris Day: Confidante who spent 40... (Oct '13) 5 hr marti eton square 4
clint 23 hr ubietron 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Wed Donny B 7,922
Mills brothers face new lawsuits over loans (Nov '08) Tue Plain Simple 16
clint Tue ubietron 1
MONTEREY HERALD LOSS monterey bay, monterey cit... Tue roensoledad 2
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••