Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,192

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#166350 Nov 2, 2012
KiMare wrote:
The New Family Structure Study (NFSS) suggests notable differences on many outcomes do, in fact, exist [between same-sex, intact-married, and biological homes]. This is inconsistent with claims of ‘no differences’ generated by studies that have commonly employed far narrower samples than this one.”
Compared with off-spring from married, intact mother/father homes, children raised in same-sex homes are markedly more likely to…
Experience poor educational attainment
Report overall lower levels of happiness, mental and physical health.
Have impulsive behavior
Be in counseling or mental health therapy (2xs)
Suffer from depression (by large margins)
Have recently thought of suicide (significantly)
Identify as bisexual, lesbian or gay
Have male on male or female on female sex partners (dramatically higher)
Currently be in a same-sex romantic relationship (2x to 3x more likely)
Be asexual (females with lesbian parents)
As adults, be unmarried; much more likely to cohabit
As adults, more likely to be unfaithful in married or cohabiting relationships
Have a sexually tramsmitted infection (STI)
Be sexually molested (both inappropriate touching and forced sexual act)
Feel relationally isolated from bio-mother and -father (Although lesbian-parented children do feel close to their bio-mom – not surprisingly – they are not as close as children with a bio-mom married to father)
Be unemployed or part-time employed as young adults
As adults, currently be on public assistance or sometime in their childhood
Live in homes with lower income levels
Drink with intention of getting drunk
To smoke tobacco and marijuana
Spend more time watching TV
Have frequency of arrests
Have pled guilty to minor legal offense
Nice try, but the author of that study disagrees with you.

"I take pains in the study to say this is not about saying gay or lesbian parents are inherently bad.
I’d be more careful about the language I used to describe people whose parents had same-sex relationships. I said “lesbian mothers” and “gay fathers,” when in fact, I don’t know about their sexual orientation"... Mark Regnerus

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#166351 Nov 2, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm thinking about a purple zebra.........
Lol ,cute but I would not say Obama was purple.

You know what I am thinking?

The fun I am going to have humiliating you and Rose come Nov. 7 but I am not mean so it will be in good fun and funny.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

#166352 Nov 2, 2012
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that I should assume, in fact have faith, that you are a child molester even though there is no evidence for it.
Man has made up many gods over the course of history, billions of them in fact.
I can tell you for certain that you are wrong about that last part, there is no way you can have the same amount of assurance for what you believe, than I do about the existence of gravity.
same for the Big bang
same for Evolution
I have mountains and mountains of evidence, and zero evidence to the contrary.
you have none at all, just a puny belief
However all things considered I will go you one better, lets say you are right, and I am wrong, and the one god out of billions of gods man has made up, actually is god, and sits on a throne in heaven, and basically says..“Worship me or you will be tortured with everlasting torture”
I still would not worship that.
One good poke with that red hot pitchfork and you'll be singing a different tune tough guy!

Funny stuff!

Since: Oct 12

Coolidge, AZ

#166353 Nov 2, 2012
Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
One good poke with that red hot pitchfork and you'll be singing a different tune tough guy!
Funny stuff!
How are things by you in Canarsie rite now after Sandy ? I was born in Bushwick, btw.

(Evangelical Deaconess Hospital, 623 Chauncey Street, Brooklyn, 40.683195°,-73.909861°)
Big D

Modesto, CA

#166354 Nov 2, 2012
Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny stuff!
Wrong again

Fear is not the way to my heart, you don’t force someone to do what you want ( in this case love you ) you through fear. That is the way of a terrorist, and I won’t worship a terrorist.

You go ahead if you want, my moral standards are higher than that.

Trying to force someone to love you through fear reminds me of rape.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

#166355 Nov 2, 2012
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again
Fear is not the way to my heart, you don’t force someone to do what you want ( in this case love you ) you through fear. That is the way of a terrorist, and I won’t worship a terrorist.
You go ahead if you want, my moral standards are higher than that.
Trying to force someone to love you through fear reminds me of rape.
Not love, motivation. There are two ways to motivate someone. Love and fear. Love is best but fear is a close second. If you don't have love, fear will do fine. And you'll never know how brave you are until the time comes. It's easy to claim you'll be brave and you may even believe it. Everyone has a limit to their bravery. Hope you never have to find yours tough guy!
DorN

La Puente, CA

#166356 Nov 2, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Down with Obama,
Romney has pledged to do everything a President can do to keep marriage one man and one woman.
-----
One man could be an in the closet gay man. One woman could be an in the closet lesbian. If they marry a straight person, the factor for homosexuality will show up in their children or grandchildren. If gays are allowed to marry gays, they will not have to stay in the closet and that makes more sense.
VOTE FOR OBAMA!
LET THE GAYS COME OUT OF THE CLOSET SAFTELY.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#166357 Nov 2, 2012
You can make all the arguments you want for "worship me or I will torture you" you like.

But I am not worshiping that.

ever

Fear is not the way to my heart
Next Move

Covina, CA

#166358 Nov 2, 2012
Sounds like a bad cop that should have gone to prison but got a slap on the wrist instead.

What is up with the Fullerton, California police?

And the Fullerton city council members who turn a blind eye to police abuse and corruption?

Lies, murder of homless people, destruction of evidence as a cover up, what else can we expect from the Fullerton, California police?
Tata

Westminster, CA

#166359 Nov 2, 2012
Ok I'm going to take a break from this dumb thread for a while, so don't beleive that chimp; Rose da Ho when he/she tells you it had me removed lol. We all know that no one listens to a chimp. I'll bring you back a fresh batch of bananas when I return Rose, if you've been a good chimp while I'm away you can have them . . .

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Canarsie, NY

#166360 Nov 2, 2012
Big D wrote:
You can make all the arguments you want for "worship me or I will torture you" you like.
But I am not worshiping that.
ever
Fear is not the way to my heart
We're real proud of you tough guy!

Funny stuff!
Bill

Oakdale, CA

#166361 Nov 2, 2012
WHY VOTE wrote:
Ok, I don't really care if same sex people get married or are together in any capacity. I am for equal rights BUT.......... I am very annoyed that peoples votes don't mean anything anymore. What happened to a majority vote rules? What happened to the peoples voice?
My stance on this has nothing to do with same sex couples. This is just the latest thing a court has overturned or blocked that THE PEOPLE voted for. Look at AZ., look back at prop. 187 which would have saved is billions in illegal immigrant funding. The people of the USA are trying to make changes to better our country and the few judges are effectively disenfranchising us.
Again this is not directed at same sex couples it is major frustration over the majority loosing there voice.
WHY VOTE????
There is a problem with Propositions that the voters don't seem to understand. Until they are voted into existence they cannot be tested before a court. Under a normal situation where a proposed law is veted before the State Assembly and State Senate, and all points are checked for constitutionality, the possibility of an overturn is avoided. In a proposition arrangement, there is no vetting of the work, no legal checks are made, only promises by its backers. This is the reason it gets overturned. It also the reason California is in the financial mess it is in, people voting for something that sounds good on paper but no funding has been set aside to handle it. Can't blame the politicians for messes that the voters created by not understanding the law making and budget processes.
8ballWillard

Covina, CA

#166362 Nov 2, 2012
Another 8 ball Willard in the corner pocket where he belongs!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#166364 Nov 2, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Pluto has too little gravity. But, ok.
Trivia question: How many moons does Earth have?
Just stop with your nonsense and admit you were wrong. Then we can move on. Otherwise conversing with you isn't worth the effort.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#166365 Nov 2, 2012
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that I should assume, in fact have faith, that you are a child molester even though there is no evidence for it.
You can assume anything you like. But just like god, you cannot prove your assertions one way or another having no personal knowledge of me.

We are gaining knowledge every day. We are cloning animals, engineering DNA, traveling to far off planets, walking on the moon... You simply assume that we are the first to have done so, you assume that we are the smartest, most intelligent, most powerful creature on the block. Your assumption may be wrong, it may be right, but you cannot prove it either way.

Again, your conclusion is simply faith based.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#166366 Nov 2, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try, but the author of that study disagrees with you.
"I take pains in the study to say this is not about saying gay or lesbian parents are inherently bad.
I’d be more careful about the language I used to describe people whose parents had same-sex relationships. I said “lesbian mothers” and “gay fathers,” when in fact, I don’t know about their sexual orientation"... Mark Regnerus
Nice try, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like one, guess what?
Winston Smith

Germantown, MD

#166368 Nov 2, 2012
AscendedFalmer wrote:
<quoted text>
We have other evidence to provide us with that kind of knowledge. Scientists have not detected an atmosphere, with telescopes or sensors, both of which produce visual evidence, and therefore they infer that there is a vacuum on Pluto, like the rest of space. We also have electron microscopes to physically see subatomic particles. Your examples don't make much sense.
My question was directed at Rose. Specifically for limiting existence to HER being able to see, touch, and hear something. I recognise that there are other means of detecting somethings existence and I recognise that sight, touch, and sound are methods that will prove something exists. I also recognise that not being able to detect something doesn't mean it does not exist, hence the other qualifiers like proving an elephant isn't in someone's bathtub vs proving one is in my own.

Be aware that I am not religious at all and am not advocating for the existence of God or many gods. Or satan for that matter. I am taking a stance as the devil's advocate. Rose has failed to show proof of no God and offered up conflicting dialogue in reference to proof of other things. Proof isn't established by a lack of evidence of something's presence. I use the fossil record as an example. Rose expanded upon that with the possibility of unknown creatures having not been discovered yet. If one wants to prove something doesn't exist they must search out every corner of the universe (and possibly parallel ones) to do so.
Winston Smith

Germantown, MD

#166369 Nov 2, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Pluto has too little gravity. But, ok.
Trivia question: How many moons does Earth have?
Too little gravity for what?

How many people are showing you their backsides?
NIX Willard

Covina, CA

#166370 Nov 2, 2012
Penn State is a poster child for being a republican idiot

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

#166371 Nov 2, 2012
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was this promised?
"And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." John 14:13
akpidiot wrote:
BTW Rose, what makes you think the "god" of the bible is the only possibility?
I don't, but when I'm talking about "god", I'm talking about that one. If "god" can mean anything, there is nothing to debate.
akpidiot wrote:
You can no more prove that an all knowing, all powerful, ever present being doesn't exist, than it can be proven that one does.
<quoted text>
Odd, you forgot to add something like, "that promises to answer our prayers."
akpidiot wrote:
We are all pretty sure you are living on another planet Rose. You seem to function just fine with only one brain cell. The fact that you are as ignorant as you are yet still survive may be all the proof we need that there is in fact a "god".
Just lame insults, no real arguments. Typical of your posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 hr JOEL 70,105
Live Oak stabbing is second in two days (Jun '08) Oct 17 savvylocal 245
International CIT conference comes to Monterey Oct 14 DO Powers 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Oct 8 thazzleb17 2
Pacific Grove Girl Chelsie Hills Law suit. Rea... Oct 3 Siding with Toyota 1
Carmel waste broker accused of bribery (Dec '08) Sep '14 Shelly 12
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Sep '14 fancy 3
Monterey Dating
Find my Match

Monterey Jobs