Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
143,821 - 143,840 of 200,564 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
Shroud

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Still hiding out are ya?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2012/01...

"The rate of violent sexual crime has increased 64 percent since 2006 according to the US Army report, which noted that “rape, sexual assault, and forcible sodomy were the most frequent violent sex crimes committed in 2011.”

"The study warns that reports of crimes such as forcible sodomy may increase among males in the coming year with the repeal of the law that barred openly gay troops from serving in the military.“Now victims may be more likely to report sexual offenses in the absence of the former Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy,” since troops no longer have to fear being removed from the military if it is discovered that they are gay."

"Even in the face of increasing rates of rape and aggravated assault in the military, Mr. Panetta emphasized that “we assume this is a very underreported crime,” and that incidents of sexual assault are roughly six times as high as reports of the crime. Last year there were 3,191 reports of sexual assault throughout the US military, but Panetta said that, realistically, the estimate for assaults “actually is closer to 19,000.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/06/mili...

Note that male victims are 12%. GLBT represent 4% of population.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

LYIN AYN RYAN wrote:
<quoted text>
if wanting to debate is acting like a girl??
then the candidate are a bunch of girlie men, arnt they!!!
lighten up mike, it will do ya good...
so I roughed ya up a little on the foreign issues??
get over it and join the humans...
ps: im counting on you to be there to critique my left leaning rants!!
that is why you have "post comment button", in front of you to voice your veiws....
take a shot at it!
i promise, ill take it easy.
No. You act like a girl. Not a girly man. A girl.

Stick a fork in yourself toots, you're done.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

LYIN AYN RYAN wrote:
<quoted text>
you were a little vague there??
were you promoting the spartan tradition of gay warriors??
mabey that is what we need....
in the mean time, I wouldnt worry about the repeal of dont ask dont tell......
ive been here on this thread, 3 days??
and no one has presented a link to a story chronicling any friction(about gays bunking with striaghts) in the 13 months since the ban was lifted...
mabey our soldiers are getting over it......
........so get OVER IT!!
Did you see the links I posted?

Maybe you were one who judged the Huffington Post article?

Did you see that gay assaults (no clear indication yet of lesbian assaults) are three times the percentage they represent in society? Not a good sign for DADT is it.

Just curious. At what rate of sexual assault would you suggest we repeal gays serving?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

The military is not exempt from theses statistics;

http://www.ibiblio.org/rcip/lgbtq.html

Woman on woman sexual assault

Overview:

Rape: When the assailant is one of our own

"Sexual assault isn't committed just by men. Lesbians who have been raped by other lesbians are beginning to speak out, but they're finding support slow in coming--from the legal system, victim support lines and our own community"

Woman on Woman sexual assault.

http://www.sfwar.org/node/view/33

"Did you know that....

women can be raped by other women?
women can sexually assault other women?
violence occurs in 1 out of 4 lesbian relationships?
lesbian domestic violence often includes lesbian rape?
lesbian rape is almost always unreported?"

Lesbian domestic violence

http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/lesbianhealth...

"30% of LGBT couples experience domestic violence"
Winston Smith

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
My gosh!!! Four blondes in a row!
Please explain the specific similarity between denying blacks the right to serve and my reasoning for not mixing orientation attraction in a military setting.
So far, all you did was a partial quote with an ad homoan attack. I'll be real interested to see my hallucinations and non-rationality exposed Marsha.
<quoted text>
We already know that there is a huge problem with heterosexual abuse and rape in the military. This is WITH the genders separated.
Now we add homosexuals NOT separated. And you assert there is no rational basis for concern.
Moreover, you equate my reasoning to blacks will revolt, woman will rule (they already did), blacks will rape whites(some do) and gays will convert boys (gay pedophiles do). I have asserted none of these things.
On the other hand, you asserted that butch lesbians dress and act like men to be 'comfortable'. Another denial of human mating behavior. The same behavior you deny would/is occurring in the military.
You are not in a bubble, you are simply gay twirling no matter how utterly idiotic it becomes.
Here is the simple reality. You claim that two gays serving in closer quarters than heterosexuals are allowed to will never be attracted. Really.
The Greeks recognized the implications of that situation and used it in limited measures. Placing two sexually bonded men in a life and death situation incurred extreme commitment to protect their lover. You deny that tendency in this situation. Why? Because you know it undermines the more important requirement of obedience to leadership in a modern army.
You are supporting the weakening of our military. That is point blank traitorous.
I equate them all because they're all the same. Bullshxt, nothing more and nothing less. Letting gays serve openly doesn't change anything regarding rape and other untoward behavior. It is already taking place. Whether or not someone is openly gay has no bearing on the quantity of this behavior. You've got just as much cause and effect shown as I have stating that sitting on park benches and feeding pigeons peanuts makes you age because you never see young people doing it.

You go on to make the spurious claim (a reflection of the claims made by some 1000+ officials before the repeal of DADT) that the military will be weakened.
link wrote:
“Repeal… would undermine recruiting and retention, impact leadership at all levels, have adverse effects on the willingness of parents who lend their sons and daughters to military service, and eventually break the All-Volunteer Force.”
— March 2009 statement signed by
1,167 retired admirals and generals

“The flag and general officers for the military, 1,167 to date, 51 of them former four-stars, said that this law, if repealed, could indeed break the All-Volunteer Force. They chose that word very carefully. They have a lot of military experience… and they know what they’re talking about.”
— Elaine Donnelly, Center for Military
Readiness, May 2010.
Amazingly enough:
link wrote:
Conclusion
Based on the substantial evidence we gathered in our research, we conclude that, during the one-year period following implementation of the policy change, DADT repeal has had no negative impact on overall military readiness or its component parts: unit cohesion, recruitment, retention, assaults, harassment or morale. While repeal produced a few downsides for some military members—mostly those who personally opposed the policy change—we identified important upsides as well, and in no case did negative consequences outweigh advantages. On balance, DADT repeal appears to have slightly enhanced the military’s ability to do its job by clearing away unnecessary obstacles to the development of trust and bonding.
http://www.palmcenter.org/files/One%20Year%20...

1 year post repeal don't reflect what you claim. A group of people much more versed in the matter disagree with you.
Dan

Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

LYIN AYN RYAN wrote:
<quoted text>
you can just say you disagree?? and add something interesting..
but im gonna pull the 1st on ya!! because it is so close to election time as well..
but by all means carry on....
how does this election(in your humble opinion) effect the march towards parity for the LGBT community, in regards to civil rights??
in my opinion?? electing romney would be a step BACK for the gay community.
i think I have alot of agreement on that WITHIN the lgbt community.
thannx
Go ahead and play the fool.

But posting your asshat views on politics which are in no way connected to gay marriage in a forum based on just that is not only off topic but ignorant.

No different than if you were to walk into Baskin Robbins and advise you wanted your burger cooked medium you idiot.

FYI.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/M ilitary/2012/0119/Pentagon-rep ort-Sexual-assault-in-the-mili tary-up-dramatically
Your source is about as reliable as World Nut Daily or Lifesitenews......here's what it says in the about us:
No, it’s a real news organization owned by a church – The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Mass., USA.

I'd rather you provide a credible news source......thanks!!!
Winston Smith

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/M ilitary/2012/0119/Pentagon-rep ort-Sexual-assault-in-the-mili tary-up-dramatically
"The rate of violent sexual crime has increased 64 percent since 2006 according to the US Army report, which noted that “rape, sexual assault, and forcible sodomy were the most frequent violent sex crimes committed in 2011.”
"The study warns that reports of crimes such as forcible sodomy may increase among males in the coming year with the repeal of the law that barred openly gay troops from serving in the military.“Now victims may be more likely to report sexual offenses in the absence of the former Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy,” since troops no longer have to fear being removed from the military if it is discovered that they are gay."
"Even in the face of increasing rates of rape and aggravated assault in the military, Mr. Panetta emphasized that “we assume this is a very underreported crime,” and that incidents of sexual assault are roughly six times as high as reports of the crime. Last year there were 3,191 reports of sexual assault throughout the US military, but Panetta said that, realistically, the estimate for assaults “actually is closer to 19,000.”
Did you bother reading the entire article or did you just mine it for your argument?
YourLink wrote:
While women comprise 14 percent of the Army ranks, they account for 95 percent of all sex crime victims.

The study warns that reports of crimes such as forcible sodomy may increase among males in the coming year with the repeal of the law that barred openly gay troops from serving in the military.“Now victims may be more likely to report sexual offenses in the absence of the former Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy,” since troops no longer have to fear being removed from the military if it is discovered that they are gay.
Pay particular attention to this:
YourLink wrote:
At the time of the study’s publication,“There were no discernible trends regarding same gender sex crimes.”
Nothing in your link gives any substance to your argument.

BTW, rape is not a crime of sexual desire. It is about control. You're using the actions of criminals to marginalize the innocent.
Torqued

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Nothing better than torquing a Republican, tea bagger.
Qwidgibo

Beaverton, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

http://m.csmonitor.com/About/Advertise/Awards

How many Pulitzers does YOUR legitimate news source have?

If you consider the csmonitor illegitimate, you're just admitting you don't know much about news.
Winston Smith

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
The military is not exempt from theses statistics;
http://www.ibiblio.org/rcip/lgbtq.html
Woman on woman sexual assault
Overview:
Rape: When the assailant is one of our own
"Sexual assault isn't committed just by men. Lesbians who have been raped by other lesbians are beginning to speak out, but they're finding support slow in coming--from the legal system, victim support lines and our own community"
Woman on Woman sexual assault.
http://www.sfwar.org/node/view/33
"Did you know that....
women can be raped by other women?
women can sexually assault other women?
violence occurs in 1 out of 4 lesbian relationships?
lesbian domestic violence often includes lesbian rape?
lesbian rape is almost always unreported?"
Lesbian domestic violence
http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/lesbianhealth...
"30% of LGBT couples experience domestic violence"
"The military is not exempt from theses statistics;"

Calm down Kimmy. I don't think you meant exempt as your links aren't about the military. Some people are violent. Sexual orientation isn't a factor. Get some new material.

One out of every three women in the US will be the victim of domestic violence. The lesbians are a bit off their game.
http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/

Almost 1 out of 5 teenage girls is threatened with violence or self harm by their boy friend when they try to break up with them.
http:
//domesticviolencestatistics.o rg
/domestic-violence-statistics/

Just a helpful tip for you, some links get cropped by topix if they're too long. Hit return after the http bit and in the middle of them so we can cut & paste 'em into a new window with the greatest of ease.

Since: Mar 11

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

If people from the same sex get married, i got no problem with that
http://www.wmupholstery.com
Torqued

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Republican an teas baggers are like chankers on the end of your dream.
jacques renault

Justice, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Your source is about as reliable as World Nut Daily or Lifesitenews......here's what it says in the about us:
No, it’s a real news organization owned by a church – The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Mass., USA.
I'd rather you provide a credible news source......thanks!!!
you don't know that is a credible news source?
jacques renault

Justice, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Winston, the homosexual leader, AC 360 or whatever, just interviewed James Bond on 60 Minutes and tried to learn how to shoot a gun

I'm going to be laughing all week about what I just saw
Winston Smith

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see the links I posted?
Maybe you were one who judged the Huffington Post article?
Did you see that gay assaults (no clear indication yet of lesbian assaults) are three times the percentage they represent in society? Not a good sign for DADT is it.
Just curious. At what rate of sexual assault would you suggest we repeal gays serving?
It says nothing about DADT. That has been repealed for a year now. The trend you're pointing out goes back more than one year. According to one of your links the overall average in our military is about 2 per 1000 soldiers. 0.2%. In colleges move the decimal to the right one spot and multiply by 1.5 to 2.5. Are you suggesting we have separate learning facilities for men and women too, or should we just exclude women from higher learning?

ONCE AGAIN you fail at showing a cause and effect relationship between women getting raped and what you claim repealing DADT will cause (and hasn't as of yet).
ShysterWynn

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Yet ANOTHER big mouth so called businessman who votes for the "elitist party," Republicans.

This fools nose is growing during this interview. A gambler who fleeces people all the while claiming to be Mother Theresa in drag.

Starting to look pretty old there Wynn. Too bad.

No fool like a crook old fool.
Winston Smith

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

jacques renault wrote:
Winston, the homosexual leader, AC 360 or whatever, just interviewed James Bond on 60 Minutes and tried to learn how to shoot a gun
I'm going to be laughing all week about what I just saw
"Then, she worked to get approval from the movie studio to put Anderson in Bond's Aston Martin. When she had finally convinced them to allow it and had sorted out the insurance paperwork, Anderson broke the news: He can only drive an automatic."

Put down the crack pipe, jacquesass. Out of the three trucks and one car I own, only one is an automatic. Used 2008 F350s are hard to come by with a manual transmission. You're caught out in yet another dumb comment/assumption.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min Eric 68,915
clint 11 hr ubietron 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 13 hr Donny B 7,922
Mills brothers face new lawsuits over loans (Nov '08) Tue Plain Simple 16
clint Tue ubietron 1
MONTEREY HERALD LOSS monterey bay, monterey cit... Tue roensoledad 2
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Tue matches lighters 15,961
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search