Fluoride level may be too high in water

Full story: Monterey County Herald

Fluoride in drinking water -- credited with dramatically cutting cavities and tooth decay -- may now be too much of a good thing.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated May 29, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bob Oliver - Monterey

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Judged:

Floride treatment: Best to keep it out of our "drinking water system" that we don't drink anyway. The stuff is toxic to a percentage of people including kids. It is "extremely toxic" to an even smaller percentage of people. These get ill or die. For the majority it simply "dumbs them down" DOCILE comes to mind. Boy do I love my hot baths! But I don't take them any more because soaking in hot water full of Floride and Clorine (and about 50 other substances you don't even want to know about) allows my largest Organ, MY SKIN, to obsorb these toxins. BAD STUFF. By the way the GERMANs during World War II were the first to realize the scientific results of putting this #$&* in the public water systems. Side benefit is that they charge for this stuff and it is a bi-product waist of aluminum smelting. I think my facts are correct. I researched this stuff years ago after my Grandmother told us "don't trust the Government - they are putting "stuff" in our drinking water. We all thought Grandma "might" have been a little goofy, but just maybe she knew more than we did at five years old, 10, 15, 30, and 60 ish.
THINK FOR YOURSELF - OR SOMEONE ELSE WILL DO IT FOR YOU!

According to the CDC, nearly 23 percent of children ages 12-15 had fluorosis in a study done in 1986 and 1987. That rose to 41 percent in the more recent study, which covered the years 1999 through 2004. 1705
Poisoned In Watsonville

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Judged:

Of course the watsonville city council decided they are medical experts and recently demanded the citys water be fuoridated! How unfortunate for the residents of watsonville. And every bit of the above article is TRUE. I dont think elected officials should be allowed to decide what citys get fluoridated. they ARE NOT MEDICAL EXPERTS!!!
Fluoride

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Judged:

The fact of the matter is that THERE IS NO SAFE LEVEL OF FLUORIDE in drinking water. IT IS A VERY TOXIC SUBSTANCE. There was never any desire to "reduce cavities" - that is a ploy. The objective is to make people sick and to turn them into docile, programmable robots (dumb people with no strong will).

It is absurd to think that fluoride in drinking water reduces cavities. If it did, dentists and dental cavities would be a rarity, but dentists and cavities are EVERYWHERE.
Chicken Little

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Judged:

Posters #1,#2,#3. You people sound pretty KOOKY!!
Chicken Schitt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Chicken Little - You are a chicken shcitt! Just proves to show people are not so dumb as the elites want them to be!(you would be the exception Chicken Little (Chicken Schitt). Keep drinking your fluoride Chicken Schitt.
Chicken Little

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

Chicken Schitt wrote:
Chicken Little - You are a chicken shcitt! Just proves to show people are not so dumb as the elites want them to be!(you would be the exception Chicken Little (Chicken ****). Keep drinking your fluoride Chicken ****.
I will drink the fluoride; you can eat the chicken****!
Big Bruce

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

In most dictionaries, the definition of "fluorine" is, "a highly toxic yellowish gas, one of the most reactive chemicals." It was an ingredient in NERVE GAS used in both World Wars, and a wickedly effective insecticide.

It attacks the Central Nervous System, and has been linked to the early onset of Alzheimers Disease, which has exploded over the last 50 years,(as fluoride has found its way into our drinking water and dental hygiene products.)

You want that s--t in your body? BE MY GUEST, but don't think you or anyone else should have the right or authority to speak for me or my family in this regard.
My dog is my daughter

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Many of you don't realize the importance of fluoride in the water. It is not anything to be scared of or be angry at but is important for our teeth. This little ion is helping to reduce tooth decay. In the early 1900's Dr. McKay discovered, through observation that children in Colorado springs had unusually brown teeth, but no tooth decay. Through scientific observations and epidemiological case studies and collaborations Dr. McKay deteremined that the brown stains were due to too much Fluoride in the drinking water. Now our water is automatically fluorinated. Hooray!!
I don't understand why people are getting so mad about fluorine in the water. The level of fluorine in the water will fluctuate with time. Water plants could be chemically treated to cause fluorine to precipitate out of solution and then filtered to reduce the levels of fluorine in the water. Elements are good for our us: fluorine for our teeth, calcium for our bones, iron for oxygenating our blood.
My dog is my daughter

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Hey Big Bruce! Congratulations on looking up the definition of fluoride...however what you need is not a dictionary but a chemistry textbook to help you understand the different "forms" of ions. Fluoride is a single atom and has a negative charge. This atom will form polar-covalent bonds with different atoms. Fluorine is two fluoride atoms that have bonded together to create a gas that attacks the nervous system.
Do you still believe that fluorine in the water is bad?
Big Bruce

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

The Royal Society of Physicians believes that fluoride leads to osteoporosis - a pre-cancerous bone deterioration.

They also caution against fluorosis, a total disintegration of the dentin while the enamel becomes unsightly due to all the mottling.

The RSP documented a study back in the '90's indicating much room for suspicion that between municipal water fluoridation, plus the fluorides found in the foods and beverages we consume, PLUS the added fluorides in dental hygiene products, the average American is consuming triple the "safe" level as determined by the American Dental Association.

The toxicity is such a hot potato, the American Medical Association refuses to even discuss what might be a safe level for human consumption.

The Royal Society of Physicians lent its endorsement to a series of special Televised documentaries in which doctors tested and diagnosed all manner of incipient physical disorders just waiting to happen in children, young adults and middle-aged folks who were consuming just an average level per British consumption statistics.

On this one, because of the corrupt corporate involvement in the earliest days of "Selling" fluoride to the public, based on "bought" dental expert testimony, and because the medical professionals know a lot more on the subject than either you or me, I choose to use non-fluoride Toms of Maine toothpaste, and I distill my drinking water.

By the way, when I first started distilling our tap water years ago, I collected the residue left in the distiller, a vile-greenish-yellow odiferous ounce of fluid, which I would pour into a bottle. I painted a thin layer of this on a sheet of plastic and placed a couple of live ants where I had painted. Within 15 seconds all signs of life had disappeared.

Confirming what my old dad told me that fluoride was best used to kill insects.

Drink up and enjoy!
Dood

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2011

Judged:

I like Fluoride, i sprinkle it over my soup all the time. i call it Chicken Fluoride Soup.
My dog is my daughter

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2011

Hey again Big Bruce! I greatly appreciate your response and further expansion of your argument as to why you are against drinking fluorinated water.
Prior to this discussion I never heard of the RSP, so I went on-line and read some literature. I would argue with the RSP's content under the heading "fluoridation is dangerous". The studies that are described and experimental observations sound, well, wishy-washy for lack of a better term. Waldbott & Spira claimed to have seen a host of allergic reactions attributed to fluorides in the drinking water. Knowing what I know about allergies (they are an immune response caused by a foreign pathogen, antibodies, etc) I decided to further investigate the writins of Waldbott and Spira. Unfortunately their literature is not available. But what I did find are further, and recent IN VITRO assays that studied the effects of fluoride ions and biochemical pathways. Currently, the major conclusions are that there is no correlation between fluoride levels in blood or urine and the outbreak of illness.

I'm impressed that you distill your tap water. Wow! That must be time consuming. Have you ever considered the possibility that the green residue left behind following distillation is a collection of ions and bacteria. The green residue sounds analagous to collection of CuCl (copper chloride) that may have formed in your pipes, assuming you have copper pipes. The viscousity of the residue could be attributed to fungi and bacteria. Have you ever cultured the residue?

Yes, I agree that too much of any one substance is bad. But we shouldn't be afraid of what is natural or even fortified.
My dog is my daughter

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2011

By the way the RSP has this to say about the skeletal effects of fluoride in the water:
“There is no evidence that the prevalence of any musculo-skeletal disorder is increased in areas with fluoride at a concentration of 1ppm in the drinking water.”

I don't know how an educated group of people can believe something without proof but this is their conclusion on fluoride levels and osteoporosis:
“Certain evidence suggests that osteoporosis and its complications are less prevalent in high-fluoride areas but it may be noted that some of this evidence refers to levels in excess of 1ppm.”

Lastly, osteoporosis is not a precursor to cancer. Osteoporosis is attributed to the drop of estrogen, not fluoride.
Bob Oliver - Monterey

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2011

Bruce and My Dog is my daughter,

If I keep giving this stuff to the ants and to the rats will they keep dying?

(I'm being serious. A yes or no answer would suffice)

B Dog here
My dog is my daughter

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2011

Bob Oliver - I think that your question is great! Here you are inquiring about the toxilogical effects of fluoride with two different organisms, a mammal and an arthropod, both with different metabolisms and reproductive strategies.
If you give any organism too much of one thing, the animal will die. Hands down, no question about it. Our body is in continous equilibrium and needs to maintain homeostasis to be "happy", sorry to apply arthropormorphisms physiology.

Fluoride does not exist by itself, due to its chemical properties it can either bind to a postively charged ion, like sodium thus forming a salt, sodium fluoride. Sodium fluoride does exist, and is often used for fluoridation assays. If you take a peak at the MSDS for Sodium Fluoride you'll note that sodium is poisonous, even in small quantities. But there is a caveat: the sodium fluoride being analyzed is pure sodium fluoride...that means that in a 1 kg container, it contains nothing but sodium and fluoride. I really hope that I made my point across...please let me know if you are still confused.

Lastly, I was looking over your first comment and I would like to remind you that what your discussing is fluorine, which is a gas, not fluoride, which is trace amounts (parts per million) in our water. The difference between fluoride and fluorine has to do with the chemical bonding properties of the two.
Bob Oliver - Monterey

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2011

Oh, I'm pretty much always confused. But I guess I'll keep feeding the ants and rats this poison. It seams to kill both of them effectively.

What do you know about the things we see with night vision goggles that aparently the government is lying to us about?

Bob
My dog is my daughter

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

I'm not sure about the night vision goggles...but you do have me intrigued about the "stuff" your feeding ants and rats. Is this a chemical your purchasing from store or are you giving ants and rats water?
Holly Berry

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

Bob Oliver - Monterey wrote:
Oh, I'm pretty much always confused. But I guess I'll keep feeding the ants and rats this poison. It seams to kill both of them effectively.
What do you know about the things we see with night vision goggles that aparently the government is lying to us about?
Bob
Bob, my guess is that if you pore enough water on anything it just might die from drowning.. hummmm..... could that be what is happening?

OK.. so I looked out in the night sky last nite... saw nothing with my night goggles.. I guess the aliens were at some other dinner party.
Bob Oliver - Monterey

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

Holly,

We're all spending too much time on the internet.Lets move it in doors.

Bob
DEPORT EM ALL

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Chicken Little wrote:
Posters #1,#2,#3. You people sound pretty KOOKY!!
You are the GOOD little german citizen arent you? You probably do not even know what that means huh? You are the typical d u m b amerKan

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Monterey Forum right now

Search the Monterey Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 32 min Eric 68,396
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 7 hr snodder 200,343
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 7 hr snodder 2,252
Tim Grobaty: Rock acts once reigned at old Mari... (Jun '10) Sun harry king 4
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Sun Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Sun Facts facts 15,927
Monterey: Aircraft carrier USS Nimitz expected ... Jul 25 Margaret Smith 6
•••
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••