Velasquez Removed from Bench

Apr 27, 2007 Full story: Monterey County Herald 12

“But you are judged on what you did, not for what you promise in the future”

A state judicial panel Wednesday ordered embattled Judge Jose Angel Velasquez off the Monterey County Superior Court bench for what it said was a wide range of misconduct.

Velasquez was immediately suspended from court duties, though the removal order won't be final for another month.

'He was actually on the bench when we received notice,' said Velasquez's attorney, James Murphy, who expressed disappointment at the decision by the state Commission on Judicial Performance.

'The commission just turned its back and threw him out the door,' Murphy said. 'If I were a member of the Monterey County community, I would be outraged. I think Judge Velasquez is a diligent, conscientious, hard-working judge.' Read more

Full Story
monterey county employee

Tipton, CA

#1 May 1, 2007
Oh shut up Murphy. The problem is you are not a member of the Monterey Community. You have no possible interest, and idea of the problems "judge" I mean ex-judge velasquez has created. The term honorable does not refer to this judge
salinas residentq

Salinas, CA

#2 Oct 24, 2007
Well, it looks like former judge Jose Velasquez is out of a cushy job. Perhaps he can get a license to push an ice cream cart while wearing the sarappe that he wore to his swearing in ceremony. Should enhance his Latino image that he is always so proud of.......
WhatGoesAroundCo mesAround

Salinas, CA

#3 Nov 1, 2007
This guy has been a rouge for as long as I've known about him.

I had a court appearance with him before I heard all of the horror stories about his conduct. In court, when it came time for him to ask me what I had to say about the case, I might as well have said nothing because him showed clearly, with him facial and body language that he was not interested. In fact he cut me off in mid-explanation (and I wasn't saying very much) and directly dismissed what I never got to finish saying.

I stuck around for the next case. I sat there amazed as he showed the same distain and disrespect for the person in the next case.

I concluded that this guy should not be a judge. He didn't have the basic demeanor and tact that was becoming of a judge.

Since that time, all I've heard from others about his court behavior has been negative.

He deserved to be shocked by his dismissal. And yeah, shut up Murphy, you don't know what you're talking about!
Coach Carter

United States

#4 Feb 25, 2011
This guys job, obviously went to his head. An attorney-friend of mine, witnessed him tell one "bad guy", "You open your mouth again and you get 45 days in jail instead of 30." The guy stood there bewildered because he didn't fully understand what was going on and asked again:"Your honor, I don't understand." "That's 45. Wanna go for 90?" This went on for a minute until the poor guy realized that there are 3 types of people that you just can't reason with: 1) A drunk 2) A toddler (Although I've met more reasonable toddlers than this former judge.) 3) An iron-fisted tyrant like Jose Velasquez. He may not be Anglo, but Hitler may have tipped his hat to his ways.
My Pops

United States

#5 Mar 1, 2011
Just another Mexican waiving his flag
Snoop Dawg

Pacific Grove, CA

#6 Mar 8, 2011
Wow, this is old news but I too have a story... I was suing this guy for selling me a used computer through his job as a Claris Tech. on their support line in San Jose. This was supposed to be a new computer but he delivered it without a box which looked shady so while he was setting it up my buddy was calling Apple with the Serial # and yep, it was sold to some other dude 6 mos ago.

Flash forward - bad guy and I are in Velasquez's court waiting to be heard after 4 hours of other cases. Judge comes to our case looks at the clock, looks at us and says 'wrong venue, you need to be in a San Jose court and I'm late for lunch'. I say 'wait - what just happened' and this punk judge spins around and screams 'you want me to hold you in contempt - get out of my court room!'

Bad guy's laughing, I'm kinda shocked - months later do the whole thing over in San Jose. Judge up there says 'this is the wrong venue and should be heard in Monterey, but since you're both here, do you agree to let me hear your case?' I just want to get this over with - Good news I win judgement but I'll never forget sitting for hours in Velasquez's courtroom watching him trying to look tough with his small-man-syndrome then him using the excuse that we're in the wrong court just because he's too lazy and wants lunch to do his job. It was awesome that he was kicked off the bench. Karma. Claris fired bad guy for selling computers under their name. Karma.

Oh, and My Pops, this has nothing to do with race. Watch out for Karma.
Kevin

Seaside, CA

#7 Mar 8, 2011
Valasquez was a huge P.O.S., he's certainly not missed. From what I saw, he was a Latino who really hated Mexicans....
FYI

Salinas, CA

#8 Mar 9, 2011
There is another Judge who is almost as bad, and that is Judge Scott. The guy is a pervert! When I walked into his courtroom, he looked down at me over his glasses and looked me up and down 3 times! Not very becoming of a Judge! On top of that, he is totally biased. He was investigated a while back because his own court clerk reported him for misconduct. He should be removed from the bench...
Rainbow of reasons

Salinas, CA

#9 Mar 14, 2011
FYI wrote:
There is another Judge who is almost as bad, and that is Judge Scott. The guy is a pervert! When I walked into his courtroom, he looked down at me over his glasses and looked me up and down 3 times! Not very becoming of a Judge! On top of that, he is totally biased. He was investigated a while back because his own court clerk reported him for misconduct. He should be removed from the bench...
Oh please... one has nothing to do with the other. What is your cause anyway?
Confused

Salinas, CA

#10 Dec 17, 2012
Kevin wrote:
Valasquez was a huge P.O.S., he's certainly not missed. From what I saw, he was a Latino who really hated Mexicans....
I never got that feeling from him. Some of the posts seem to contradict that....Like the racist guy who wrote, "Just another Mexican waving his flag." Was he against Mexicans or was he against all others? I think the people sounding off on this board are simply those who had a bad expirienece with him. Maybe they had been found guilty of a crime and hold a grudge against the judge for some reason. What about the gentleman who went to Santa Clara County to have his case heard, because Judge Velasquez decided Monterey Couty was the wrong venue? How do we know the Santa Clara county judge wasn't wrong? I am sure we can find a lot of reasons to complain about most of the judges in this town who seem to subscribe to a simple-minded small town way of thinking. Most of these judges would never be elected in more sophisticated areas of the state; that is why these judges run here in Monterey County. It's a small relatively uncompetitive legal community with good talent being hard to find. What little talent is here has to be recruited from other parts of the state since there isn't even an ABA law school in the area. Also Monterey County has a very low numer of reaidents with even a bachelor's degree. It's pathetic to contrast the percentage of adults with an education in Monterey County with adults in Silicon Valley. I think some of the blame belongs with the morons in Monterey County who elect judges they are not happy with. I wonder how many of these cry babies even voted. I have dealt with Velasquez as a defendant in his court. I found him to be nothing but respectful and intelligent. I recall that he was very hard on drunk drivers and would always give the maximum sentence to those found guilty. Good. People who drink and drive could kill! I don't think that most if the posts here represent a fair cross section of the population. Only people who have a grudge against him or who hate Mexican people in general have been inspired to write here. The other possibility is that these are disgruntled people who lost in his court and, heaven forbid, cannot accept they were wrong; therefore, they simply throw out racist remarks. Racist remarks and insults are used when the person arguing is frustrated and has no actual valid point. Typically, that also shows a lack of education and intelligence. There's no creativity or cleverness involved in saying, "Oh yeah... Well, you're a Mexican." Personally I liked Velasquez' style and wish he were still on the bench.
White Guy

Concord, CA

#11 Dec 25, 2012
Eff that Mexican and fat cow wife
Sequines

Nampa, ID

#12 Jan 6, 2013
Another one to be removed is judge Scott. What an embaressment to the legal community.So his wife died; that's no reason to be having intimate relationships with another judge who is currently on the bench.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 32 min Ultraman 200,968
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr TWP 5,078
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 4 hr Pizza 16,000
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 4 hr nickled 2,269
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 hr Eric 69,380
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Wed Blazing saddles 7,954
The inconvenient 17-year pause in global warming (Sep '13) Sep 12 Earthling-1 123
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey