Dual language immersion program offered for kindergarten throug...

Full story: Monterey County Herald

The Monterey Peninsula Unified School District is offering a dual language immersion program which students from kindergarten through fourth grade learn in both Spanish and English.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Jul 27, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
quinn

United States

#1 Jan 29, 2010
english only, stop making it so hard for these kids to become americans! the FACTS say that this does'nt work!
johnny

Salinas, CA

#2 Jan 29, 2010
this is why our schools are so far behind. in america we speak english. as a bilingual american, i learned japanese from my mom and english from my dad and spoke english in school. lets concentrate on math and science and stop wasting money on what parents should be teaching at home.
Blatant discrimination

Monterey, CA

#4 Jan 29, 2010
Just another program that caters to Spanish speaking students. We already have expensive ESL programs. What is the cost of providing these classes and how can they pay for them when so many other programs/positions are being cut in the public schools? And just another injustice to legal English speaking students, who have suffered enough because of these Spanish speakers. Budget cuts have forced legal students to endure loss of music and sports programs, increasingly larger classes, endure 'dumbing down' of class material to cater to the Spanish speakers and endure lack of teacher-student time since the teachers are forced to spend more time helping the Spanish speakers. And this class is blatantly discriminatory. If they can offer this dual language class in English and Spanish, they should offer these claasses in English and Korean/Filipino/Vietnamese/Chi nese, etc. These kids are left in the cold. If they have to learn English on their own, the Spanish speaking students should, too. It seems that legal English speaking students no longer have any rights or benefits.
Observant

Monterey, CA

#5 Jan 29, 2010
I would think this is a good idea only if other languages such as Mandarin Chinese, French, Japanese, Arabic, etc. were offered as well. I don't understand the motivation behind this program.
South County MOM

Salinas, CA

#6 Jan 29, 2010
It amazes me that you all comment of a program you know nothing about. This isn't just another ESL program. This is a program that integrates English and Spanish speakers. Children who are Spanish speaking only have the opportunity to learn English in an environment where they are not outcast and English speaking children have the opportunity to learn Spanish. My child is in 4th grade now and has been in a dual immersion program since kinder. She in completely bi-lingual/bi-literate. She has excelled in both languages and I am very proud of that. I took several years of Spanish in high school and college and I still struggle with my Spanish. This is a great opportunity for children to learn Spanish, and in this community it is a huge learning benefit. Why Spanish, well although I think it would be great for our children to learn other languages, Spanish is the 2nd language predominantly spoken in Monterey County, so why not. I am a huge supporter of the dual immersion program and I have seen its benefits first hand! Research before you comment, don't be so quick to shoot down programs that might actually benefit your child.
Missing poing

Monterey, CA

#7 Jan 29, 2010
South County MOM wrote:
It amazes me that you all comment of a program you know nothing about. This isn't just another ESL program. This is a program that integrates English and Spanish speakers. Children who are Spanish speaking only have the opportunity to learn English in an environment where they are not outcast and English speaking children have the opportunity to learn Spanish. My child is in 4th grade now and has been in a dual immersion program since kinder. She in completely bi-lingual/bi-literate. She has excelled in both languages and I am very proud of that. I took several years of Spanish in high school and college and I still struggle with my Spanish. This is a great opportunity for children to learn Spanish, and in this community it is a huge learning benefit. Why Spanish, well although I think it would be great for our children to learn other languages, Spanish is the 2nd language predominantly spoken in Monterey County, so why not. I am a huge supporter of the dual immersion program and I have seen its benefits first hand! Research before you comment, don't be so quick to shoot down programs that might actually benefit your child.
First of all, this program is REQUIRED to demonstrate success, given the effort and cost. The fact that your child is now completely bi-lingual/bi-literate is an EXPECTED outcome, given that she has been in these classes for 5 years. So don't get your knickers in a twist when we don't get excited that the class actually taught at least one child what it was supposed to. We would expect the same from a math class or science class. I would be more interested in the success rate of Spanish speaking students learning English.

You are missing the point. What the majority of these posters object to is the discriminatory nature of these classes, as they are only taught in Spanish and no other foreign language. Once again, it is viewed as another (costly) program catering to only Spanish speakers. This certainly does not provide any incentive to learn English. I would be interested in what you would say to the other students, whose primary language is not English or Spanish. Tough luck? Learn English on your own? That Spanish is the second predominant language in Monterey county has its own implications. Many of these Spanish speakers are illegals, who settled in sanctuary cities in the area and then brazenly multiplied. We will leave that there, as it touches upon another nerve.

Spanish speakers are coddled enough when we have to press 1 for English, or when WE have to LEARN SPANISH to get a job instead of job postings stating ENGLISH REQUIRED, or when most signs in businesses or stores are in Spanish. This certainly does not provide any incentive to learn English. Therein lies another reason that Spanish is the 2nd most predominant language - those that speak Spanish have no desire or need to learn English, even after living in this country for decades, because they are accommodated.

Bottom line - this the USA. The predominant language is English. We should learn another language, be it Spanish, Korean, Arabic, etc., because we WANT to - not because we are FORCED to.
neutral

Pacific Grove, CA

#8 Jan 29, 2010
South County MOM wrote:
It amazes me that you all comment of a program you know nothing about. This isn't just another ESL program. This is a program that integrates English and Spanish speakers. Children who are Spanish speaking only have the opportunity to learn English in an environment where they are not outcast and English speaking children have the opportunity to learn Spanish. My child is in 4th grade now and has been in a dual immersion program since kinder. She in completely bi-lingual/bi-literate. She has excelled in both languages and I am very proud of that. I took several years of Spanish in high school and college and I still struggle with my Spanish. This is a great opportunity for children to learn Spanish, and in this community it is a huge learning benefit. Why Spanish, well although I think it would be great for our children to learn other languages, Spanish is the 2nd language predominantly spoken in Monterey County, so why not. I am a huge supporter of the dual immersion program and I have seen its benefits first hand! Research before you comment, don't be so quick to shoot down programs that might actually benefit your child.
I agree with you 100%. My daughter didn't have an opportunity to learn a second language until the 5th grade. She could chose between French, German or Spanish and she chose Spanish; and even went to Madrid, Spain for a semester and we had a student from Madrid stay @ our house for a semester. She went to school in upstate N.Y., which is probably 2% minority and 98% caucasion. I would have loved for her to have had an immersion program that started in kindergarten. It's MUCH EASIER to become bi-lingual the earlier you start. Any parents that don't allow their English- only speaking children to take advantage of this opportunity are really short changing their childrens' education. I have a feeling that your children will have more opportunity to use Spanish than Mandarin Chinese or Japanese in their future. Why do you want to not give your child every educational opportunity available to them? You're only short changing your own children by not taking advantage of this. It's MUCH HARDER for an adult to learn a second language than it is for a child.
Observant

Monterey, CA

#9 Jan 29, 2010
Neutral and South County Mom,
I still maintain that there should be more languages involved in this program. I would be happy to stand behind this program if more languages will be offered in the future. Also, if you are paying any attention to the world economy, it would be in any American's interest to learn the Chinese language.
neutral

Pacific Grove, CA

#10 Jan 30, 2010
Observant wrote:
Neutral and South County Mom,
I still maintain that there should be more languages involved in this program. I would be happy to stand behind this program if more languages will be offered in the future. Also, if you are paying any attention to the world economy, it would be in any American's interest to learn the Chinese language.
Good point. I agree. I wish people would get more involved in their children's education, period; but for children who's parent's can't or won't become involved, I think it behooves the community to help, otherwise they will be dealing with these kids when they are older and more unmanageable.
Caroliina

Fremont, CA

#11 Sep 16, 2010
quinn wrote:
english only, stop making it so hard for these kids to become americans! the FACTS say that this does'nt work!
Wow, clearly ignorance. I did not know a language makes you American.
Common sense

Marina, CA

#12 Sep 23, 2010
I'm sure this program is only offered in an area of predominant native Spanish-speakers, if you don't like it, why not move to Carmel or Pacific Grove?...oh let me guess, you can't afford to live there...oh snap!
Valentina

San Francisco, CA

#13 Nov 21, 2010
FYI: A two way immersion program needs children whose first language is not English. Where are you getting all those german, french, mandarin speaking students from? Most of the Chinese who migrate to the US speak Cantonese, and Im sure that the district has or will soon have one of those immersion programs as well. Also, a two way immersion program works for the benefit of those English speakers whose parents are English speakers and would otherwise have to start learning a foreign language by living in another country or having a nanny 80% of the time. The Spanish speakers benefit because they will have much better English and Spanish by the time they are in 5th grade than those children who had to to to an English only school. Not my opinion but serious research results. May be you should look at how much USA citizens benefit from this type of program, may be you should actually spend some time reading about the FACTS instead of writing your racist and ignorant conclusions.
neutral

Carmel, CA

#14 Nov 22, 2010
That's why I had my daughter chose Spanish. She didn't have an immersion program, she was just able to chose, which, if any foreign language class she wanted to take. The choices were- French, German or Spanish. I said I WISHED she had had an immersion program, but since the area we lived was 98% English Caucasion, that wasn't possible. Since she now lives in San Diego, after going to college there, she has a lot of friends and business associates that she can practice her Spanish with. It's fun for both of them to be able to understand each other in either language. Languages are fun, the more the better, the earlier the better. What do they call a person who speaks 3 languages?-tri-lingual, who speaks two languages?-bi-lingual, who speaks one language?-An American.:)
Leesa

Salinas, CA

#15 Jan 26, 2011
Missing poing wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, this program is REQUIRED to demonstrate success, given the effort and cost. The fact that your child is now completely bi-lingual/bi-literate is an EXPECTED outcome, given that she has been in these classes for 5 years. So don't get your knickers in a twist when we don't get excited that the class actually taught at least one child what it was supposed to. We would expect the same from a math class or science class. I would be more interested in the success rate of Spanish speaking students learning English.
You are missing the point. What the majority of these posters object to is the discriminatory nature of these classes, as they are only taught in Spanish and no other foreign language. Once again, it is viewed as another (costly) program catering to only Spanish speakers. This certainly does not provide any incentive to learn English. I would be interested in what you would say to the other students, whose primary language is not English or Spanish. Tough luck? Learn English on your own? That Spanish is the second predominant language in Monterey county has its own implications. Many of these Spanish speakers are illegals, who settled in sanctuary cities in the area and then brazenly multiplied. We will leave that there, as it touches upon another nerve.
Spanish speakers are coddled enough when we have to press 1 for English, or when WE have to LEARN SPANISH to get a job instead of job postings stating ENGLISH REQUIRED, or when most signs in businesses or stores are in Spanish. This certainly does not provide any incentive to learn English. Therein lies another reason that Spanish is the 2nd most predominant language - those that speak Spanish have no desire or need to learn English, even after living in this country for decades, because they are accommodated.
Bottom line - this the USA. The predominant language is English. We should learn another language, be it Spanish, Korean, Arabic, etc., because we WANT to - not because we are FORCED to.
Yes this is the US, but you are forgetting something or maybe you don't know, this use to be a Part of Mexico. Have you ever heard of the Mexican-American War. Just look at the names of the cities Monterey, Salinas, San Diego, San Francisco,.......
The Mexicans were here first and United States has people that immigrated here from all over the world.
Yes the predominant language is English, but like someone else said, the next language after that especially in Monterey County is Spanish. Most people come here looking for the American Dream just like every one else. They work hard and try to learn the language. But like so many, I have tried to learn another language and it's hard, especially when you are an adult.
Children have an easier time learning another language and if they are trying to teach spanish immigrants english when they are little that's great! So when these children grow up they can communicate with other in English. And if my son learned spanish, he could also communicate with those that never learned english.
CeCe

San Jose, CA

#16 Mar 3, 2011
This is my daughter's first year in a two way immersion school(spanish/English). She started kindergarten knowing how to read and write a handful of words. Now not only can she read and write more than 200 english words, she also reads about 200 spanish words. Beyond that, she uses conversational spanish with her peers that don't speak english. I never would have dreamed that a five year old could grasp a language as quickly as she has. I am one PROUD mama! I would suggest a dual immersion program for everyone if there is one available in your area. Both native english and spanish speakers will equally benefit...trust me!
stroller_snob

Salt Lake City, UT

#17 May 27, 2011
I am a mom from Salt Lake City, UT. I believe the language immersion programs are beneficial to native English speakers and ELL students. However, we are having serious problems at my son's elementary school, which has a Spanish immersion program; due to the concentrated population of refugees from Africa and the Middle East. The problem is that if your child is not "chosen" via lottery to enter the immersion program -the other alternative is to be in a 50/50 class of ELL students. Needless to say the non-immersion class is academically lower, teachers & principal have confirmed this data, than the immersion class. Does an immersion program belong at a school where there is (and will always be in the future) a high population of ELL students? Remember, the ELL do not speak Spanish -they speak Farsi, Dinku, Arabic, etc.
Monica

Omaha, NE

#18 Sep 26, 2011
My 2 youngest sons are in dual immersion learning Spanish and I love it! My 6th grader is bi-literate and my 1st grader finished kinder reading at 3rd grade level in both languages this past Spring. There is a good learning foundation of homework and in our town in Central California we are finding that our valedictorians are coming from the dual-immersion program, where they were used to doing homework daily, and when introduced to all-English speaking classes in high school, kept their study habits and hence found it easy to excel in their studies. The playground is where the youngest learn to communicate with each other. In addition, children learn to learn together, whereas they will be able to work with a diverse group of people as adults successfully, too. Our kids are also in uniforms which makes it less stressful to tell who comes from money and who doesn't. It has brought parents together to help one another with homework and socially, which the kids see that if it's important to their parents, then school must be important.
sparticus

Salinas, CA

#19 Oct 3, 2011
Leesa wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes this is the US, but you are forgetting something or maybe you don't know, this use to be a Part of Mexico. Have you ever heard of the Mexican-American War. Just look at the names of the cities Monterey, Salinas, San Diego, San Francisco,.......
The Mexicans were here first and United States has people that immigrated here from all over the world.
Yes the predominant language is English, but like someone else said, the next language after that especially in Monterey County is Spanish. Most people come here looking for the American Dream just like every one else. They work hard and try to learn the language. But like so many, I have tried to learn another language and it's hard, especially when you are an adult.
Children have an easier time learning another language and if they are trying to teach spanish immigrants english when they are little that's great! So when these children grow up they can communicate with other in English. And if my son learned spanish, he could also communicate with those that never learned english.
What is your point? This place still belongs to mexico still just because it has spanish names? Get a grip. It is American now and will always be American. The mexicans and the hate America student groups/teachers will never change that no matter how much garbage they shovel in the class room. As for all the other legal immigrant's they assimilate( 1 in 7 latino in the tri-county area are ILLEGAL, that is a ton of monty supporting foreign nationals,and their children), learn the language and become Americans. You don't see Asians, middle easterners or africans flying any other flag. Only "Latina Americans" or should I say Mexicans demand that Americans kiss their a**.
At what point did we as Americans surrender our border, states,country, culture, schools and history to make mexicans feel good about their selves because their country of origin is such a sh*** place.
Multiculturalisem does not work. Assimilate.
LMAO

AOL

#20 Oct 4, 2011
Awwww, more ignorant mexican leeches whining about who owns CA.

If you so strongly believe CA. should be a province of the lawless, bankrupt, poverty ridden, crime infested, gang infested, politically corrupted cesspool of a country that Mexico is, well, tell your Mexican Generals to gather up their troops, bus them up to the border, and use their state of the art sling shots to bust into CA. and take it back so Mexico can re-claim it as Mexican territory.

LMAO
terri

Salem, OR

#21 Nov 5, 2011
Currently, we live in Salem, OR. My husband is entering in the Naval Postgraduate on a sweet scholarship. However, we are very apprehensive to leave this area, for our son, 1st grade, is doing phenomenally well in his dual language (yeppers--Espanol!) classroom. He has 14 native spanish speakers, and there are 12 white kids who's parents are "forcing them" (ahem), to learn Spanish. By the by, these kids love it. As a psych student, let me tell you this--even if you loathe the language, want nothing to do with it, blah blah blah...it is enabling the very malleable brain of a child to learn how to shift back and forth from left to right. Do some research on this before you bash it! We will not move to Monterey if they don't have a language program in place to benefit our son.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 6 min RiccardoFire 200,667
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr J RULES 69,109
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 4 hr papersup 15,974
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 14 hr memo maddnes 5,020
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon punch tips 7,935
First City Festival 2014 Brings Ugly Rock Metal... Aug 28 JoeMama 2
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Aug 28 Money 1
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••