School officials advise against charter

School officials advise against charter

There are 93 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jan 3, 2011, titled School officials advise against charter. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

School officials will recommend to the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District board that a charter school not be organized at the district's Bay School in New Monterey when he board meets today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
KIm

Marina, CA

#83 Jan 10, 2011
Bob Oliver - Monterey wrote:
Thank you,
The first step is to realize we are all in this together. Even so, you don't take your Water Boy and make him your center on the Foot Ball Team unless it happens to be Adam Sandler (the "PAID" actor in the movie "Water Boy"). We are seeing a drama in our schools unfold before our eyes. Consider for a moment the following quote:
"Power does not rest with the electorate. It does not reside with either of the two major political parties. It is not represented by the press. It is not arbitrated by a judiciary that protects us from predators. Power rests with corporations. And corporations gain very lucrative profits from war, even wars we have no chance of winning. All polite appeals to the formal systems of power will not end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We must physically obstruct the war machine or accept a role as its accomplice." (This is not my quote. It is something we all know.)
Now consider this quote:
ďDonít tell them anything they donít need to know. When itís over, tell them who won.Ē
ó Admiral Ernest J. King (on what the U.S. public should be told about World War II).
This second quote is the operational principle of our MPUSD district who is ultimately working for the Corporate War Machine. I realize this is a far cry from BAY VIEW ACADEMY. But is it? Everything, our hopes, our fears, our blessings is connected to the next generation. We have always had a choice to make. WAR ONLY WORKS WHEN YOU HAVE YOUNG STUPID WILLING MEN.
Today, choose between and educational system that has values and one that is valued by the Military Industrial Complex. Begin to recognize that the Educated youth with common place values will make a better life for us all, as apposed to those with a poor education and no values. Which one will seek out the only employer available to them in the Wars of the Twenty First Century. Do you want the Police State and World dominating Powers of the Military Industrial Complex? We were warned by two Presidents that left the Seat of Power... to be followed by "actors".
1. Challenge the past and see if what we are being told is true or not.
2. Look at the present.
3. Decern for yourself how the two intersect.
4. Stop acting out of fear. Wake up!
Ultimately "Don't wait to find out who won, but be Winners! Stop being Whinners. CHARTER SCHOOLS ROCK! RECALL ALL GOOD INTENTION (HA HA HA) SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS, COUNCIL MEMBER, AND ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES. WE HAVE WORK TO DO. It's way past time, "Time to through the baby out with the bath water". A Bird in the hand is likely to "leave a little something on your hand". " MAKE IT FUN!!" Two birds in the bush will always insure there will be birds. Lets give life back to our kids! Thank you for inviting me to participate. 6030, 2262
Perhaps you should be the parallel superintendant? All very interesting. However, if you haven't discovered already, people really aren't interested in the scope you are talking about. While there may be far more complex forces at work that you mention, such as kowtowing to corporations and the war machine, these topics don't stimulate the every day person to act - if anything they make you a bit suspect and sound a little extreme. Margaret Mead had a great saying about small groups making big changes - I think a good old fashioned grass roots movement is needed.Good points though and definitely something to think about!
Bob Oliver - Monterey

Marina, CA

#84 Jan 10, 2011
Done Playing Around
1. Look at the successful Schools and Charter Schools and do what they do. COPY SUCCESS
2. Get volunteers to work with the teachers. I WAS A MATH MOM (not gender specific)
3. Develope AFTER SCHOOL VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS.
4. Develope STUDENT PEER COUNSELING PROGRAM.
5. Develope DEFERRED MAINTENANCE VOLUNTEERS GROUP
6. Break contracts with existing Official Heads.
7. TOTAL RECALL (my feelings have been hurt.)
8. Take a survey. Did we really vote this bond in?
9. We need to know now!
Please ad my suggestions to the list.
Bob
Bob Oliver - Monterey

Marina, CA

#85 Jan 10, 2011
Open Letter to Kim

A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

I see your Margaret Mead and "raise you" 18 random "Bernard Shaw"

A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.
George Bernard Shaw

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.
George Bernard Shaw

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw

A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
George Bernard Shaw

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

A little learning is a dangerous thing, but we must take that risk because a little is as much as our biggest heads can hold.
George Bernard Shaw

A man never tells you anything until you contradict him.
George Bernard Shaw

A man of great common sense and good taste - meaning thereby a man without originality or moral courage.
George Bernard Shaw

A man who has no office to go to, I don't care who he is, is a trial of which you can have no conception.
George Bernard Shaw

A perpetual holiday is a good working definition of hell.
George Bernard Shaw

A veteran journalist has never had time to think twice before he writes.
George Bernard Shaw

Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life.
George Bernard Shaw

All great truths begin as blasphemies.
George Bernard Shaw

All my life affection has been showered upon me, and every forward step I have made has been taken in spite of it.
George Bernard Shaw

Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
George Bernard Shaw

An asylum for the sane would be empty in America.
George Bernard Shaw

An election is a moral horror, as bad as a battle except for the blood; a mud bath for every soul concerned in it.
George Bernard Shaw

An Englishman thinks he is moral when he is only uncomfortable.
George Bernard Shaw

This is what I call MULTI tasking: Get rid of the Top Heavy Officials and I'll do all five of their jobs for $100,000 and donate $50,000 into the $1,000,000 fund for immediate student aid that I proposed back in 2000 (It is a matter of public record). This would save the district "LOTS". Teachers and parents and kids would make the timely decisions together, because the money would be there. One year Monterey High started its Spanish class without about 12 books for students. Which of these three ( teachers, parents, and kids )would say "Lets wait for Spanish books for 6 months as we run this through the system." ( The answer is obvious) "None of the above, It takes an administrator to allow decisions to be made like this." You could be part of this little group Margret referes to, but please look at what Bernard has to say. These aren't even his "best" quotes.

Bob Oliver
Bob Oliver - Monterey

Marina, CA

#86 Jan 10, 2011
Everyone in the Unted States today are on drugs. Our food supply and water are not safe. Most of us today are on pharmacutical drugs.

Look at our Schools as a reflection of who we are. We definitely need to take a wider view of this problem which is accually a symptom of us.

Grass Roots movements in California Education were squashed back in 1986 when the People of California began investing in "the LOTTERY instead of their kids." We have been lied to about everything. Get a grip on reality. Lets help people off the drugs, now, instead of administering drugs like riddlen to the youngest and most vulnerable in our culture, our school age students.

George Bernard Shaw

"It's time to address the problem, not the symptom"
Bob Oliver 1986 (two years after 1984)

Kim

Marina, CA

#87 Jan 11, 2011
Everyone in the Unted States today are on drugs. Our food supply and water are not safe. Most of us today are on pharmacutical drugs.
Look at our Schools as a reflection of who we are. We definitely need to take a wider view of this problem which is accually a symptom of us.
Grass Roots movements in California Education were squashed back in 1986 when the People of California began investing in "the LOTTERY instead of their kids." We have been lied to about everything. Get a grip on reality. Lets help people off the drugs, now, instead of administering drugs like riddlen to the youngest and most vulnerable in our culture, our school age students.
George Bernard Shaw
"It's time to address the problem, not the symptom"
Bob Oliver 1986 (two years after 1984)
Oh boy... unfortunately your posts don't inspire me. They are long winded and filled with quotes that are meant to inspire but I've now skipped several of your postings especially after the alien post I noticed was up! You have good things to say about kids and schools but it's drowning in all the other irrelevant information at this point.
Annie

United States

#88 Jan 11, 2011
Open Letter to Kim
A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
I see your Margaret Mead and "raise you" 18 random "Bernard Shaw"
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.
George Bernard Shaw
A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.
George Bernard Shaw
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw
A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
George Bernard Shaw
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
A little learning is a dangerous thing, but we must take that risk because a little is as much as our biggest heads can hold.
George Bernard Shaw
A man never tells you anything until you contradict him.
George Bernard Shaw
A man of great common sense and good taste - meaning thereby a man without originality or moral courage.
George Bernard Shaw
A man who has no office to go to, I don't care who he is, is a trial of which you can have no conception.
George Bernard Shaw
A perpetual holiday is a good working definition of hell.
George Bernard Shaw
A veteran journalist has never had time to think twice before he writes.
George Bernard Shaw
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life.
George Bernard Shaw
All great truths begin as blasphemies.
George Bernard Shaw
All my life affection has been showered upon me, and every forward step I have made has been taken in spite of it.
George Bernard Shaw
Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw
An election is a moral horror, as bad as a battle except for the blood; a mud bath for every soul concerned in it.
George Bernard Shaw
An Englishman thinks he is moral when he is only uncomfortable.
George Bernard Shaw
This is what I call MULTI tasking: Get rid of the Top Heavy Officials and I'll do all five of their jobs for $100,000 and donate $50,000 into the $1,000,000 fund for immediate student aid that I proposed back in 2000 (It is a matter of public record). This would save the district "LOTS". Teachers and parents and kids would make the timely decisions together, because the money would be there. One year Monterey High started its Spanish class without about 12 books for students. Which of these three ( teachers, parents, and kids )would say "Lets wait for Spanish books for 6 months as we run this through the system." ( The answer is obvious) "None of the above, It takes an administrator to allow decisions to be made like this." You could be part of this little group Margret referes to, but please look at what Bernard has to say. These aren't even his "best" quotes.
Bob Oliver
Bob, you do tend to ramble just a tad!
long time observer

Seaside, CA

#90 Jan 11, 2011
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, you do tend to ramble just a tad!
Just a tad? He tends to ramble on in every subject he addresses.
;-)
Kim

Marina, CA

#92 Jan 11, 2011
Moving this TO DO list to Facebook. Stayed tuned...
whos laughing now

Monterey, CA

#94 Aug 9, 2011
Shepherd and board.
You LOST. They won and we wish them the greatest success as they open next week.
Plan of action. make all schools in this defeated district charter schools. bye bye shep.
Kevin

Monterey, CA

#95 Aug 10, 2011
whos laughing now wrote:
Shepherd and board.
You LOST. They won and we wish them the greatest success as they open next week.
Plan of action. make all schools in this defeated district charter schools. bye bye shep.
Sadly, that cow isn't moving on to greener pastures anytime soon. She's the one superintendent that makes the overspending drunk in Carmel look good, I hope he sends her flowers.
Whos laughing now

Monterey, CA

#96 Aug 11, 2011
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, that cow isn't moving on to greener pastures anytime soon. She's the one superintendent that makes the overspending drunk in Carmel look good, I hope he sends her flowers.
Kevin, a movement is underway. Their days are numbered. Waiting is the hardest part, but a change is just months away.
Kevin

Monterey, CA

#97 Aug 11, 2011
Whos laughing now wrote:
<quoted text>
Kevin, a movement is underway. Their days are numbered. Waiting is the hardest part, but a change is just months away.
PROMISE!?!
Whos laughing now

Monterey, CA

#98 Sep 27, 2011
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
PROMISE!?!
Vote Jon Hill in the November elections.
[email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Mar 18 Fhhvc 97
More Mexican Gang Bangers Off to Prison (Jul '11) Mar 15 Fred 5
News Do Re Mi Music & Video goes way beyond basics (Jun '09) Mar 10 cinema1895 3
Lyft in Monterey free ride! Mar 10 Faucet 1
Looking to buy... (May '16) Mar 8 Anonymous 2
Discount Tickets - Monterey Bay Aquarium Feb '17 howefortunate 1
News Trump's North Korea red line could come back to... Feb '17 Mikey 11

Monterey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages