School officials advise against charter

School officials advise against charter

There are 93 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jan 3, 2011, titled School officials advise against charter. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

School officials will recommend to the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District board that a charter school not be organized at the district's Bay School in New Monterey when he board meets today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
YGBSM

Monterey, CA

#1 Jan 3, 2011
Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. I have never seen a worse-run school district than MPUSD.
Barbara in New Monterey

United States

#2 Jan 3, 2011
Shame!!! But then the County Office of Education/ MPUSD should not be the decision makers when this charter school is planned to keep our kids being bussed instead of being educated here, as they have been sucessfully for about half a century. The decision to close Bayview Elementary School was a purely administrative one that goes very much against the interests of New Monterey parents and children. We protested loudly -- and were ignored. This is a disgusting farce. I hope that there is a higher authority, one less likely to support the Office of Education, to weigh this matter in a fair and OBJECTIVE manner. Peter Rabbit is in charge of the vegetable garden in our neck of the woods. Shame, again!!
Billy

Monterey, CA

#3 Jan 3, 2011
This is what happens when you vote 110 million dollars to a bunch of Bozos. They think they can do whatever they want.
Cliff Claven

Salinas, CA

#4 Jan 3, 2011
People, do not believe everything you think. OK?
Parent

United States

#5 Jan 3, 2011
It is really a bizarre scenario in that it is not in the district's interest to allow the charter school even if it is favorable for the children. However, the charter school depends on the district for approval.

I have a small child at an MPUSD school and the district does not adequately take care of this child's educational needs. The district does not accomodate mid achieving to high achieving students. A charter school fills that void.
Brent

Dayton, NV

#6 Jan 3, 2011
This response by the entrenched school administrators is predictable. The existing school district has done nothing constructive and tangible to help children achieve competency and critical-thinking skills except to spend more money, teach to tests, retain tenured teachers of often-questionable performance, increase salaries, and hire more administrators. Meanwhile, many kids graduate who can't function in the world because our public school system is tragically broken and the monopolists in that system don't want any competition.

The hide-bound cartel that represents the public school system needs to be broken up and charter schools are just the way to do accomplish overdue reform, especially in poor communities where the public schools have routinely failed their students by lowering standards, focusing on self-esteem, making everyone a winner, and generally 'dumbing down' the curricula.

Academic and vocational rigor (not everyone is or should be college bound) are our only hope in successfully competing with studious Chinese, Indian and other countries' students who understand that competency doesn't come through indolence.
gopher

Salinas, CA

#7 Jan 3, 2011
I'm glad the public schools around here are doing such a stellar job with educating our children. They are shining models of fine academics, model behavior and shrewdly administered budgets. Test scores, obviously, though I haven't bothered to check the actual data, are on the rise and demonstrate how wonderful our academic system is.
Charter School Parent

Scotts Valley, CA

#8 Jan 3, 2011
sounds like the same B.S. reasons they gave the CORAL Academy last year. I'm guessing this district is less interested in innovative teaching and more interested in the status quo... So sad for the students of MPUSD that cannot afford to move or pay for private school.
Ed Rendell

Marina, CA

#9 Jan 3, 2011
A bunch of wimps!!
Sally F

San Jose, CA

#10 Jan 3, 2011
gopher wrote:
I'm glad the public schools around here are doing such a stellar job with educating our children. They are shining models of fine academics, model behavior and shrewdly administered budgets. Test scores, obviously, though I haven't bothered to check the actual data, are on the rise and demonstrate how wonderful our academic system is.
You are kidding right?
This is one of the worst school districts in California if not the whole USA ! The kids are learning nothing! Test scores are terrible and the teachers hate it as much as the parents do.
Sally F

San Jose, CA

#11 Jan 3, 2011
YGBSM wrote:
Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. I have never seen a worse-run school district than MPUSD.
Right on!
Liberal left wing extremists running the district even further in to the ground.
Please God help us!
Bertie

San Jose, CA

#12 Jan 3, 2011
Cliff Claven wrote:
God himself and mother Theresa wouldn't get a charter school opened in MPUSD under Shepherds watch. School choice is NO choice to these idiots.
Archie

Salinas, CA

#13 Jan 3, 2011
Sally F wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on!
Liberal left wing extremists running the district even further in to the ground.
Please God help us!
AGAIN with the "Left Wing Extremist" bull. I am about as liberal as anyone,I work for MPUSD and have said over and over again on these forums that it is not about politics! MPUSD is run by Self Serving Administrators who come to the Peninsula from other places to pad their retirement PERIOD. They are only interested in their retirement, not the kids, not the community, not the district or it's employees. They think we are here to serve them. The Board is responsible. They need to be replaced. By the way, the only raises have been for the Administrators. Teachers and support staff haven't seen a raise,(not even a cost of living raise) in years.
Dumbest school district

United States

#14 Jan 3, 2011
YGBSM wrote:
What is going on here?
Time for the lawyers at the California Charter School Association to put MPUSD under a microscope.
Just what the President and Secretary of Edication are calling for , more school choice but obviously these bozos only care about their self interest and their bottom line which seems to be to destroy the public education system. What a bunch or bird brains........ I take that back at least birds have brains.
Dwarf 4

San Jose, CA

#15 Jan 3, 2011
YGBSM wrote:
Take it to the County and Kotowski.
Don't give up Bay View Academy.
Dumbest school district

United States

#16 Jan 3, 2011
Cliff Claven wrote:
And that is supposed to mean what exactly??!!
Bored member

United States

#17 Jan 3, 2011
Archie wrote:
<quoted text>
AGAIN with the "Left Wing Extremist" bull. I am about as liberal as anyone,I work for MPUSD and have said over and over again on these forums that it is not about politics! MPUSD is run by Self Serving Administrators who come to the Peninsula from other places to pad their retirement PERIOD. They are only interested in their retirement, not the kids, not the community, not the district or it's employees. They think we are here to serve them. The Board is responsible. They need to be replaced. By the way, the only raises have been for the Administrators. Teachers and support staff haven't seen a raise,(not even a cost of living raise) in years.
So who's going to step up and get them all recalled then? The bond passes and they think they are invincible. I even had a board member tell me that the vote proved they were doing such a wonderful job and that the public approved of the work Dr Doolittle was doing!
The truth hurts

United States

#18 Jan 3, 2011
Well I'm at the meeting at the IMC tonight and I have never heard SO many lies and twists of the truth from this board of morons and the shepherd cloned staff. They have to realize the end is nigh? Can the parents,teachers and kids of this area take one more day of the clown and her minions?
Somebody put me out of my misery PLEASE!
Archie

Salinas, CA

#19 Jan 3, 2011
Bored member wrote:
<quoted text>
So who's going to step up and get them all recalled then? The bond passes and they think they are invincible. I even had a board member tell me that the vote proved they were doing such a wonderful job and that the public approved of the work Dr Doolittle was doing!
You can certainly NOT re-elect if there is no recall. I would love to see the break down of the 75% yes votes the bond got I would like to see the break down by community and I would like to see the actual voter numbers. I may have missed that if the Herald ever published it. Did anyone ever find out how many people voted over all and the percentages by community?
MHS Mom

San Jose, CA

#20 Jan 3, 2011
I've heard the idiot board make stupid statements over the years but tonight was a
Re low even for them!
Creasy, you have to be the stupidest one up there. What were the Marina voters thinking?My cat makes more sense then you do.
Gamesbacher I at least thought you had a semblance of an original thought but not anymore! As for mad, madder and maddest well you three have never failed to disappoint all of us and the the token male lost his balls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who is the best hung man in Carmel Jul 17 Joe 4
Marina infested with gang boys (Mar '11) Jul '17 Losers join gangs 19
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Jul '17 Tyyu 1,554
News Trump's North Korea red line could come back to... (Jan '17) Jul '17 Mark 12
News Debate Over FISHERMANa S Wharf Continues Jun '17 Neal Peifer 1
News Police briefs: Beaten body found on Old Stage Road (Dec '09) May '17 Oreo 16
News Seaside closes access to makeshift toy car trac... Apr '17 Jsherratt831 1

Monterey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages