Donald J. Tyson, poultry tycoon, dies

Donald J. Tyson, poultry tycoon, dies

There are 2 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jan 7, 2011, titled Donald J. Tyson, poultry tycoon, dies. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Former Tyson Foods Inc. chief executive Donald J. Tyson, who led his family's poultry company from being a regional producer to dominance in the industry while instilling a corporate culture that mixed hard work and enjoyment, died Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Maenad

Marina, CA

#1 Jan 7, 2011
"Wherever he went he was comfortable and they were comfortable."

I almost choked on a chicken bone reading the truncated version of the Tyson obit appearing in today's paper. Of course Mr. Tyson was comfortable, he got that way on the backs of women and minorities, and by sacrificing the health and safety of anyone living near Tyson processing plants or eating their products.

Tyson Foods is currently facing a national wage and hour Class Action Suit lawsuit for violating federal overtime provision, and could be facing $600 million in back pay to employees.

Tyson Foods pleaded guilty to 20 federal violations of the Clean Water Act in 2003. In 2001, the U.S. Justice Department filed a 36-count indictment against Tyson Foods for smugging workers into American from Mexico and Central America to work in 15 of their poultry plants.

Tyson Foods settled a 2000 religious-discrimination suit broght by the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Also in 2000, they agreed to pay $230,000 to settle allegations of discriminatory hiring practices against women and minorities. They've also pled guilty and paid $6 million in fines for bribing the former Secretray of Agriculture, Alphonso Espy.

He is the embodiment of why corporations shouldn't be treated as people by constitutional law. He gets a glowing obit, reaps all the comforts, and his company stockholders and community stakeholders, and the workers take all the risk.

Of course, Don Tyson, with his 70 million shares and his untaxed family heirs are very, very comfortable.
gullible

Espanola, NM

#2 Jul 27, 2011
I SWALLOWED A CHICKEN BONE consuming Tyson "Boneless Breasts" and was medivacced to a Colorado hispital with vital signs about checkout stage. Much later after major problems I was brought home... treatment was complex and pretty much a coin toss with carcing through throat and then back and about 130 staples and day later was determined I'd make it.

A year later I brought home the same product. This time, I found the bones before I consumed the meat. Yes, same packaging.

Too old to get involved with spending remaining life in court... actually about Big T's age when he kicked off. Never considered class actions might be going on and totally unfamiliar with the whole tort game.

I have lost a great deal physically, paid major price with swollen limbs, major strength loss and that Gee Whiz recurring POst Traumatic Stress Disorder for a couple years.

I owe my existence to a friend and a persistent doctor here who made me stay in the local ER and found hospital who cold handle it after four hours on the phone.

Thanks for reading. Quidado as they say down here near the border. jsf

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hartnell Janitors Must Clean Up Behavior by Rev... Jun 23 Reverend Patryse ... 1
(WORKING LINK HERE) BITCH DONALD: Go, Bitch, Go... Jun 23 Reverend Patryse ... 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Jun 21 dig 55
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jun 13 Joel 72,030
Where are the communal showers in Monterey? May '16 Jeremy 2
News Monterey working to prohibit alcohol, without a... May '16 DNTs 1
Review: Asian Filipino Market (Oct '12) May '16 amadeo urgonamiko 4

Monterey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages