Fire and chaos as Southern California...

Fire and chaos as Southern California burns

There are 17 comments on the LA Daily News story from Nov 15, 2008, titled Fire and chaos as Southern California burns. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

As I write this, Sylmar is in flames as well as Montecito. I can see the clouds of black smoke billowing into the daytime sky and the fires glow in the evening.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

eastcoastbychoic e

Grafton, MA

#1 Nov 15, 2008
Get over yourselves in Ca I've been there done that superficial at most. Join the real world.

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#2 Nov 15, 2008
eastcoastbychoice wrote:
Get over yourselves in Ca I've been there done that superficial at most. Join the real world.
OK, moron... if you aren't here locally just keep your stupid thoughts to yourself. Over 500 homes have been destroyed in the last two days. I guess you liberal geeks in Massachumpetts call that "superficial". You need to stop drinking the Kennedy/Kerry kool-aid and get into the real world yourself.
Concerned Parent

Honolulu, HI

#3 Nov 15, 2008
Thoughts and prayers to all who were and are effected by these fires. To the people from the mobile park in Sylmar, my heart goes out to you all.
tracy hughes

Hudson, MA

#4 Nov 15, 2008
i just wanted to let you know our hearts are with you folks. i too am from massachusetts and was also in a house fire last dec. no one can understand how it feels to not have a home to go to or to lose everything and not a chance to get anything. we lost our cat of 13 years and it has been hard to deal with. our thoughts and prayers are with you all and we hope that you will come together and have eachother to lean on. its been almost a year since our house fire and we are still depressed over it. this type of tragedy is something that will never be forgotten. we hope you all have a safe night and that the fires die down and that you will rebuild soon and get back to normal. thanks tracy hughes
Victoria

San Diego, CA

#5 Nov 15, 2008
This article is beautifully written and exactly right. I've lived all over the world and have learned that life is fragile no matter where you live. Thanks to Professor Dobrer for saying it so eloquently.
Caralea

Mariposa, CA

#6 Nov 15, 2008
I grew up in Sylmar and my grandpa worked at Olive View for thirty years. There were fires in the area several times as I grew up + earthquakes. But the major difference in loss of property and this great sad fire is that there are so many people living so close together, When I was a teenager, the area that burned was wide open space an our weekend hangout. I am sorry for the families that have lost homes and for those evacuated, we were evactuated this year due to fires on our street (Telegraph Fire)and it is very hard for families while waiting to see if they have a home. My prayers are with you all.
Ray Lyons

Wildomar, CA

#7 Nov 15, 2008
Very well written.

We should all appreciate life as it could be anyday.

R

Northridge, Ca.
dud dew

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Nov 16, 2008
That the criticisms are badly timed or constructed, or absent genuine compassion, doesn't invalidate them. They are often right on target.
And matching the blind and foolish decisions to live on beaches, and in flood plains, and in places where fire is SURE to come with those to live where a tornado or hurricane MAY rarely appear is poor and self-serving logic.
The writer would also be well-served to study the impact of trees and accompanying vegetation in preventing the increasing creation of desert-like landscapes, and deadly, dry winds, before assuming the mantle of seer.
Yes, we are always and everywhere vulnerable. But some odds of catastrophe are virtually guaranteed to be realized, while some allow for reasonable feelings of safety and security.
Wise folks choose wisely....
sharon

San Jose, CA

#9 Nov 18, 2008
wow. that really says it all.

Since: Nov 08

La Mirada

#10 Nov 18, 2008
Classic
tracy

Hudson, MA

#11 Nov 20, 2008
if i ever had a chance to live in this location i would jump at it. life has its ups and downs. life is a chance and you only live it once. god bless this community and i hope you all get back on your feet and rebuild and live again. my prayers and thoughts are with you all. sincerely tracy hughes (somerville mass.)
nonyabeezwax

Westlake Village, CA

#13 Nov 20, 2008
We watched the Yorba Linda fire from the 15 and 60 freeways the night it started. Bumper to bumper we inched along 4 to 10 mph going west. Chino Hills park was a good place to ride horses, camp, observe wide open spaces and nature. From a distance it looked like devils dancing in the night sky, we watched it move further into the park to the west and north. What a horrible loss! With Santa Ana winds there is nothing to stop the fires..such dry conditions (which give us all sinus headaches) are still a threat. Hope it's over now for the year! My heart goes out to the people state wide who have lost everything to these massive fires. Terrifying and insult to injury in this bad economy.
matt

United States

#15 Nov 21, 2008
nonyabeezwax wrote:
We watched the Yorba Linda fire from the 15 and 60 freeways the night it started. Bumper to bumper we inched along 4 to 10 mph going west. Chino Hills park was a good place to ride horses, camp, observe wide open spaces and nature. From a distance it looked like devils dancing in the night sky, we watched it move further into the park to the west and north. What a horrible loss! With Santa Ana winds there is nothing to stop the fires..such dry conditions (which give us all sinus headaches) are still a threat. Hope it's over now for the year! My heart goes out to the people state wide who have lost everything to these massive fires. Terrifying and insult to injury in this bad economy.
good luck
jojo

United States

#16 Nov 21, 2008
tracy wrote:
if i ever had a chance to live in this location i would jump at it. life has its ups and downs. life is a chance and you only live it once. god bless this community and i hope you all get back on your feet and rebuild and live again. my prayers and thoughts are with you all. sincerely tracy hughes (somerville mass.)
ME TOO
Dave

United States

#17 Nov 21, 2008
it was nuts
Thomas

United States

#18 Nov 21, 2008
The fires suck
California Housing

AOL

#19 Nov 23, 2008
, We at California Housing would like to offer our help to those displaced by the fires in Orange County.
California Housing is a Dealer in Manufactured and Mobile Homes
We Offer Brand New Replacement homes as well as have a list of fine used and repo homes ready to be moved into
We are Located at 13312 Brookhurst Street Garden Grove Ca 92843
Ask for Charles , Claudia , or Elvira
Thank You
Charles Noe

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montecito Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
356 Homeless Hidden in 'Cito Jul 4 Stoo Bedasshough 1
News The Latest: Most fire evacuations lifted near S... Jun 23 katybirdhudson 1
City Bans Beloved Parking Garage Guitarist Jun '16 israel suckz 2
NO! To Imported Homeless in Village Jun '16 israel suckz 4
News Men like Elliot Rodger are not owed anyone or a... (Jun '14) May '16 damndude 85
News Menelli Trading Company Begins 'Meet the Artist... May '16 Miles Carroll 1
News The Latest: Company faces felonies in Californi... May '16 Leann 1

Montecito Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montecito Mortgages