Wildfire ravages ritzy enclave in Sou...

Wildfire ravages ritzy enclave in Southern California

There are 8 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Nov 14, 2008, titled Wildfire ravages ritzy enclave in Southern California. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. a ' Firefighters were holding their own Friday against a wildfire that destroyed more than 100 homes in a wealthy, celebrity-studded enclave, but authorities warned that evening wind gusts ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Too bad

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Nov 15, 2008
Ecology 101: Southern California has a "Mediterranean climate", which means it rains in winter and is hot and dry during most of the rest of the year. The vegetation that has evolved in such areas burns very well but then usually sprouts back from the roots. Thus, catastrophic fires have always occurred in the region, but today with more and more people living in the mountains more and more people's homes are being damaged.

Religion 101: The loving God is punishing all those evil doers in southern California (along with their innocent God-fearing Christian neighbors) because southern California is the hub for promotion of sex (but not violence) on TV and between gay people. All of that stuff in Ecology 101 was made up by a bunch of lying atheistic ecologists.
Not fooled

San Rafael, CA

#2 Nov 15, 2008
What does this have to do with God? It is dripping with old, conservative white people. McCain country.

Since: Sep 08

Miyazaki

#4 Nov 15, 2008
Your name here wrote:
Why can't the movie stars' god, Obama, save them?
Maybe because your god Bush is still in charge,(as if)

Mcpherson, KS

#5 Nov 15, 2008
California is probably the most disaster prone state in the country because of its climate and geology. Its climate and geology are also why it is one of the most beautiful states in the country and why so many people want to live there.

Californian's have to take the good with the bad and they alway will. Man's ingenuity will never overcome the natural forces taking place in California.

Steve, did you get my e-mail with my address?

Miyazaki

#6 Nov 15, 2008
Jim Aamodt wrote:
California is probably the most disaster prone state in the country because of its climate and geology. Its climate and geology are also why it is one of the most beautiful states in the country and why so many people want to live there.
Californian's have to take the good with the bad and they alway will. Man's ingenuity will never overcome the natural forces taking place in California.
Steve, did you get my e-mail with my address?
Yes, and a Jefferson is winging its way across the Pacific.

Mcpherson, KS

#7 Nov 15, 2008
Thanks Steve! I'm serious, you really did not have to do that. You are a good guy.

I would never have predicted %1.82 per gallon now though. That is what it is here in the Wichita area now. Unreal! When I moved here almost 2 years ago, it was $1.85 but it moved up real fast after. I might actually be able to afford ro drive my truck in a few weeks when my license stops being suspended. I bought a big new Japanese (built in the US) Toyota Tundra right before I got popped for you know what.
Kevin

Marlton, NJ

#8 Nov 16, 2008
Too bad wrote:
Ecology 101: Southern California has a "Mediterranean climate", which means it rains in winter and is hot and dry during most of the rest of the year. The vegetation that has evolved in such areas burns very well but then usually sprouts back from the roots. Thus, catastrophic fires have always occurred in the region, but today with more and more people living in the mountains more and more people's homes are being damaged.
BobtheBuilder 101: All those people who spent multiple-thousands of dollars on ceramic composite and similar "fireproof" roofing tiles which were advertised as being able to protect their homes in the case of a wildfire, but in the end real life test they turned out to be completely useless. Then again when you build your multi-million-dollar McMansion (or plop down a trailer park) right smack dab in the middle of a historically wildfire prone area do you really expect to survive intact?

Now all these people will no doubt want to re-build in exactly the same spot and start laying out the plans while the embers are still smoldering. un-be-frikken-lievable.
peter gumaer-guimar ogden

Huntsville, AL

#9 Nov 16, 2008
so now that the california vote is against gay marriages why is god or goddess or thor or oden or isis punishing them with hellfire? this line of reasoning is irrational and highly selective.

as for the roasted mansions: their destruction has nothing to do with theocratic superstition and a lot more to do with cosimo d'medici's maxim that "envy is a plant that should not be watered." who can believe these fires were started accidentally? check your smoke detector and keep a low profile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montecito Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Men like Elliot Rodger are not owed anyone or a... (Jun '14) Thu comingforyou 82
News Michael Jackson's brother to open Neverland the... Wed Puanani 2
News Independent Living Resource Center Apr 26 Lucy Anne 1
News Second Annual Santa Barbara Beach Ball to Featu... Apr 26 Lucy jane 1
News Laura Capps to Seek Seat on Santa Barbara Schoo... Apr 26 Lucy jane 1
News The Social Safety Net, Income and U.S. Life Exp... Apr 26 Lucy jane 1
News New Improvements at Santa Barbara Golf Club Apr 26 Lucy jane 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montecito Mortgages