Student bonfire caused Montecito blaze

Student bonfire caused Montecito blaze

There are 51 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Nov 18, 2008, titled Student bonfire caused Montecito blaze. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

A bonfire built by a group of young adults sparked the massive wildfire in Santa Barbara that destroyed multimillion dollar mansions and injured dozens, authorities said Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Future Primitive

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

#41 Nov 20, 2008
Tappy wrote:
<quoted text>
But then explain this to me... let's look at a similar situation where young adults can act recklessly. Let's say instead of lighting an illegal bonfire in a high fire danger zone ... they drank a six pack and got behind the wheel and killed one person and injured several others.
Do you still agree they shouldn't charged with a felony? Do you think a misdemeanor and a bit of community service fits the crime? I mean... they didn't "mean" to do it, it was an accident. Yet lives were lost and severely affected by thier illegal and reckless behavior. I see starting this fire as the same thing... I don't see how the DA could possibly not file felony charges.
Drunk driving is malicious, as I stated before. You must see the difference between a campfire and drunk driving.
Tappy

Palo Alto, CA

#42 Nov 20, 2008
too harsh wrote:
I feel bad for the students. May have been carelessness, but the fact that they thought the fire was put out, then come clear the next day a fire is started destroying homes. People are being to harsh.
But you are leaving out one critical point... they NEVER should have had a bonfire up there in the first place.

Future Primitive

Hewrmosa Beach

#43 Nov 20, 2008
Tappy wrote:
<quoted text>
But then explain this to me... let's look at a similar situation where young adults can act recklessly. Let's say instead of lighting an illegal bonfire in a high fire danger zone ... they drank a six pack and got behind the wheel and killed one person and injured several others.
Do you still agree they shouldn't charged with a felony? Do you think a misdemeanor and a bit of community service fits the crime? I mean... they didn't "mean" to do it, it was an accident. Yet lives were lost and severely affected by thier illegal and reckless behavior. I see starting this fire as the same thing... I don't see how the DA could possibly not file felony charges.
I wasnt talking a little bit of community service, I was talking community service till retirement age. A predetermined ammount of hours per year, like 10 hours a week. It will help them grow up in the process. These kids arent hardened criminals and this wasnt malicious, the community would get better use out of them by community service till age 65, then pay for them to be in prison. Would you agree?

Future Primitive

Hewrmosa Beach

#44 Nov 20, 2008
Tappy wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I feel for them and thier families... it's an unfortuate event. But when you play the game and roll the dice, sometimes it doesn't end up in your favor. And when your reckless actions cause such damage in lives, emotions, lots pets, lost property... I think the penalty needs to be stepped up to fit the effects of the crime.
I think they will be made an example out of... if just not to make other kids behaving in a similar fashion think twice about what they are doing. If they just get a slap on the hand it sends the wrong message to all of the other recklass young adults out there.
Although I do understand the true Santa Barbara spirit of forgive and forget... I just haven't see the DA put that spirit into practice much :p
I dont feel for them at all, I just think the community should rebuild itself with the help of their sweat and hard work. Prison for people who arent malicious is a waste of resources.
Tappy

United States

#45 Nov 21, 2008
Future Primitive wrote:
<quoted text>Drunk driving is malicious, as I stated before. You must see the difference between a campfire and drunk driving.
When people drink and drive they typically do not have a malicious intent. It's just poor judgement that sometimes leads to a horrible outcome. It's illegal, it's bad judgement.

Lighting a "campfire" where you are not supposed to in a high fire danger area is the same thing. It's illegal, it's bad judgement.

Santa Barbarian

“Barbaric as Santa!”

Since: Nov 08

Santa Barbara ,Malibu,Torrance

#46 Nov 21, 2008
If you want to know a bit more about the fire, the students, etc. from a Sanya Barbara point of view, here are a few great online articles:

What SBers think the students should do...
http://www.keyt.com/news/local/34818964.html

General news...http://www.edhat.com/

Some good info on the Tea House/Garden and the fire's origin...
http://www.independent.com/news/2008/nov/20/u...
future primitive

Kula, HI

#47 Nov 21, 2008
Tappy wrote:
<quoted text>
When people drink and drive they typically do not have a malicious intent. It's just poor judgement that sometimes leads to a horrible outcome. It's illegal, it's bad judgement.
Lighting a "campfire" where you are not supposed to in a high fire danger area is the same thing. It's illegal, it's bad judgement.
The difference being that drunk drivers get behind the wheel knowing theres a good chance of smacking into someone, where as in this case and I emphasise this case since we need to take things on a case by case basis, they put the fire out and by an accident the wind caught it. Im not sayin we should just say oops and let it be done, but youll get your money back more efficiently by letting them go to college and collecting it off their earnings while at the same time making them do community service. Classifying them as felons wont do anybody any favors.
Tappy

United States

#48 Nov 22, 2008
future primitive wrote:
<quoted text> but youll get your money back more efficiently by letting them go to college and collecting it off their earnings while at the same time making them do community service. Classifying them as felons wont do anybody any favors.
That justification can be used for any crime... the idea is not to "get my money back" but to set an example for others who engage in risky behavior.
future primitive

Kula, HI

#49 Nov 22, 2008
Tappy wrote:
<quoted text>
That justification can be used for any crime... the idea is not to "get my money back" but to set an example for others who engage in risky behavior.
Whats considered risky? Theres alot of inherent risk in daily life.
Tappy

United States

#50 Nov 22, 2008
future primitive wrote:
<quoted text>Whats considered risky? Theres alot of inherent risk in daily life.
Well, let's just keep it simple... how about anything that is illegal. Likely it was made illegal because it has a risk that society has deemed to be too great to allow people to do it.

Thus, trespassing and starting an illegal bonfire in a high fire zone fits that criteria.

Future Primitive

Hewrmosa Beach

#51 Nov 23, 2008
Tappy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let's just keep it simple... how about anything that is illegal. Likely it was made illegal because it has a risk that society has deemed to be too great to allow people to do it.
Thus, trespassing and starting an illegal bonfire in a high fire zone fits that criteria.
Your a fool, and im not gonna play your fools game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montecito Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Discovery Requests Push iV Menus Owner's Rape H... Wed CINDYGALLY 1
Advice For LBGT Group Apr 9 lake of fire 1
Spring Wine Weekend - Santa Barbara Mar 27 howefortunate 1
Mud slide was part of Godís plan Mar '18 Jin Eiser 10
quick build a dyke Mar '18 Guest 1
Ellenís wife & jelly rippa perfect match Feb '18 NW JADE 1
Mud pie anyone ? Feb '18 tellinitlikeitis 3

Montecito Jobs

Personal Finance

Montecito Mortgages