Student bonfire caused Montecito blaze

Student bonfire caused Montecito blaze

There are 51 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Nov 18, 2008, titled Student bonfire caused Montecito blaze. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

A bonfire built by a group of young adults sparked the massive wildfire in Santa Barbara that destroyed multimillion dollar mansions and injured dozens, authorities said Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bonfires Destroy and Kill

United States

#1 Nov 18, 2008
The 10 college students are most likely 18 or older so they are legally considered adults and they are responsible for their own actions!

They were trespassing on the abandoned property.

Their carelessness destroyed 210 homes. Hundreds of people lost everything they own. Two people are in critical condition (scarred for life) trying to flee their home which burnt to the ground.

Their unthinkable act of carelessness is criminal and these 10 college students should be charged with some serious charges, not just a slap on the hand. I hope they suffer with guilt the rest of their life.

I applaud the person that made the anonymous tip! You made the right decision!!
Peeved

Moorpark, CA

#2 Nov 18, 2008
Intentional or no, the kids are responsible for damage to people and property. Not being intentional seems to imply that they shouldn't be accountable, and they clearly should be. Our lives can certainly be ruined by stupid mistakes, and we need to own up to our stupidy. If these kids aren't prosecuted by the DA in a criminal court, they certainly should all be defendants in a huge civil lawsuit. In this case I do NOT think a lawsuit would be frivilous, nor do I think criminal prosecution too harsh.
Hook Them Up

United States

#3 Nov 18, 2008
I think "Stupid Student's Bonfire Caused Montecito Fire and Destruction" is a much better title for this article.
Tappy

Penn Valley, CA

#4 Nov 18, 2008
They will be charged... they were on the property illegally and there are no bonfires allowed up there. I haven't been up that road in a while but all the roads up there have fire warning signs all over the place. They are idiots and deserve the harshest penalty...
chill out

Hilo, HI

#5 Nov 18, 2008
theyre just a bunch of kids who made a mistake. as long as no deaths had occured, thats the main thing. the ones injured will recover from this simple mistake in judgment. and besides, theres no verfiable proof that the incident was from these kids directly. chill out.
Nope

United States

#6 Nov 18, 2008
Bonfires Destroy and Kill wrote:
The 10 college students are most likely 18 or older so they are legally considered adults and they are responsible for their own actions!
They were trespassing on the abandoned property.
Their carelessness destroyed 210 homes. Hundreds of people lost everything they own. Two people are in critical condition (scarred for life) trying to flee their home which burnt to the ground.
Their unthinkable act of carelessness is criminal and these 10 college students should be charged with some serious charges, not just a slap on the hand. I hope they suffer with guilt the rest of their life.
I applaud the person that made the anonymous tip! You made the right decision!!
No i'm sure they're white, they will get away with it
Tappy

Penn Valley, CA

#7 Nov 18, 2008
chill out wrote:
theyre just a bunch of kids who made a mistake. as long as no deaths had occured, thats the main thing. the ones injured will recover from this simple mistake in judgment. and besides, theres no verfiable proof that the incident was from these kids directly. chill out.
Some mistakes are bad enough that you deserve to pay dearly. It's not an accident when you trespass onto land, pass tons of fire warning signs and light a huge bonfire... it's gross negligence. We aren't talking about someone who lit a fire in a designated area where it was allowed and had an "accident"... that would be excusable. This this story holds up ... this is not excusable.
White man walking

Redlands, CA

#8 Nov 18, 2008
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
No i'm sure they're white, they will get away with it
TOTALLY. If they were non-white, you bet your butt their names and race would have been released to the press and they would have been put in the pokey before the fires were put out!!!

Future Primitive

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

#9 Nov 18, 2008
White man walking wrote:
<quoted text>
TOTALLY. If they were non-white, you bet your butt their names and race would have been released to the press and they would have been put in the pokey before the fires were put out!!!
I love when fools start condeming people for things that they did themselves at the same age but got lucky enough not to get caught

Future Primitive

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

#10 Nov 18, 2008
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
No i'm sure they're white, they will get away with it
There just as bad as them damn kids that went to Duke university!!
Tappy

Penn Valley, CA

#11 Nov 18, 2008
Future Primitive wrote:
<quoted text>I love when fools start condeming people for things that they did themselves at the same age but got lucky enough not to get caught
Hmmm... you destroyed 210 homes critically injured two people and killed countless family pets? I can honestly say I never did those things... and if I did I would expect to be in jail until I was in my 30's.
Tappy

Penn Valley, CA

#12 Nov 18, 2008
I'd equate it to drinking and driving... everyone probably has done it on occasion, and everyone knows they shouldn't do it. But I think everyone knows if you got into an accident and killed someone while you were drinking and driving you are going to pay a hefty price. These kids were rolling the dice ... they knew it, and they f-ed up. Just like the drunk driver they should pay for thier negligence.

Future Primitive

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

#13 Nov 18, 2008
Tappy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm... you destroyed 210 homes critically injured two people and killed countless family pets? I can honestly say I never did those things... and if I did I would expect to be in jail until I was in my 30's.
Did you ever have a campfire? you know the odds of this happening arent good, but they are there.
Jimmy

United States

#14 Nov 18, 2008
I agree with the last post, it seems like they made an effort to put the fire out but, it started up after they left. The fact of the matter is they shouldn't have started a bonfire in the first place in this area. They didn't kill anyone but, there actions changed alot of peoples lives forever. They should be held responsible.

Future Primitive

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

#15 Nov 18, 2008
Tappy wrote:
I'd equate it to drinking and driving... everyone probably has done it on occasion, and everyone knows they shouldn't do it. But I think everyone knows if you got into an accident and killed someone while you were drinking and driving you are going to pay a hefty price. These kids were rolling the dice ... they knew it, and they f-ed up. Just like the drunk driver they should pay for thier negligence.
I couldnt agree more. I wonder if bonfires were illegal in the area they did it.
Hmmmm

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Nov 18, 2008
chill out wrote:
theyre just a bunch of kids who made a mistake. as long as no deaths had occured, thats the main thing. the ones injured will recover from this simple mistake in judgment. and besides, theres no verfiable proof that the incident was from these kids directly. chill out.
Are you a complete idiot? Seriously! Please tell me that your post was some kind of attempt at humor!? Whether it was intentional or not, they destroyed hundreds of homes. They deserve to have their little college careers cut short and spend a little time in county college, while using the rest of their tuition to start paying back the people who's homes they destroyed. Amazing people like you don't hurt themselves on a daily basis, and clear the environment for smarter people.
U R HUA

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Nov 18, 2008
Future Primitive wrote:
<quoted text>I love when fools start condeming people for things that they did themselves at the same age but got lucky enough not to get caught
Hey genius, I don't remember starting a bonfire which then grew out of control and destroyed hundreds of humes and millions of dollars in damages! Why don't you pull your head out, join the rest of the reasonable people on here and realize these ADULTS deserve any punishment that is coming their way.
llovely

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Nov 19, 2008
Why always a race issue? Many people lost their homes. The fire may not have killed anyone but the memories, the hard work put into the house, and the emotional damage those homeowners encounter is sufficient enough for those kids to get punished. You can't just slap them on their wrist regardless of their race.
immigrants friend

Yuma, AZ

#19 Nov 19, 2008
you know what i'm thinking...

Future Primitive

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

#20 Nov 19, 2008
U R HUA wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey genius, I don't remember starting a bonfire which then grew out of control and destroyed hundreds of humes and millions of dollars in damages! Why don't you pull your head out, join the rest of the reasonable people on here and realize these ADULTS deserve any punishment that is coming their way.
What do you say to the guy that spills hot coffee in his lap right before he swerves into a bus stop of people? Do you call him a criminal?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montecito Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Most fire evacuations lifted near S... Jun 23 katybirdhudson 1
City Bans Beloved Parking Garage Guitarist Jun 10 israel suckz 2
NO! To Imported Homeless in Village Jun 10 israel suckz 4
News Men like Elliot Rodger are not owed anyone or a... (Jun '14) May '16 damndude 85
News Menelli Trading Company Begins 'Meet the Artist... May '16 Miles Carroll 1
News The Latest: Company faces felonies in Californi... May '16 Leann 1
News By Katy Murphy, [email protected] May '16 Janet 1

Montecito Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Montecito Mortgages