What is the Worst Feature of the Proposed Montebello Hills Condo Development?

Created by 42 yr North Mtb resident on Jan 4, 2014

85 votes

Click on an option to vote

Structural City Budget Deficit up to $1 million

Polluted Oil Dust from 10 years of Grading.

Increased Traffic on already Busy Mtb Blvd

Increased Traffic on already Busy San Gabriel Blvd

Decreased Property Values for existing Homes

Cancer, other Diseases risks by Oil FieldEmissions

Unlimited Liability to City from Potential Claims

The Killing of Half of Animals and Plants in hills

Loss of Significant Potential Parkland Resource

Loss of Natural Area for Future Generations

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#1 Jan 4, 2014
Well, fellow Montebelloans, here is your chance to vote on which aspects of the proposed Montebello Hills Residential Development you think are the worst problems this proposal risks inflicting on our city.
World Traveller

Reseda, CA

#2 Jan 5, 2014
Aren't there a few more significant problems?
Somebody Has to Say It

Monterey Park, CA

#3 Jan 5, 2014
#1 Health Hazard

The land has been a producing oil field since 1917 when oil was discovered there almost one hundred years ago. Until 1970 there was no EPA and there were absolutely no restrictions whatsoever to encourage safe practices. Even the location of many, many abandoned wells isn't known today.

This is a SuperFund size clean-up project and only the U.S. Government would ever be able to spend the amount of money necessary to mitigate the effects of 100 years of oil production and possibly make the property safe to live on.

To do the job right would probably cost more than the total amount that Cook-Hill and their successors plan to invest in the entire project. Like all companies C-H would boldly say "We will spare no expense to make the property safe." Then they would immediately start saying "Well, we certainly can't really afford to spend that much."

At this point there is only one correct answer: Don't let them build.

You do know that THEY PLAN TO CONTINUE PUMPING OIL on the property even after the homes are built and occupied, don't you?

JUST SAY NO.
Long Beach Observer

La Puente, CA

#4 Jan 5, 2014
As there haven't been any public hearings on whether the people really want this project (probably because no one wants it) this is apparently the first opportunity for actual votes to be counted.

Does anyone know what it costs Cook-Hill to pay for the click farms in Asia to keep their site at the top of the google search list?
Concerned Bystander

Whittier, CA

#5 Jan 5, 2014
With all due respect to the dead wildlife and people this would cause, I am most concerned with the financial aspects. The structural budget deficit shown in the city's now moot financial analysis, even with a bubbling fountain of redevelopment money (no longer available), the certain costs and income show that the condos would COST the city money.

Now that redevelopment slush funds are no longer here, the costs must be even higher, and the news is probably so bad that project backers are probably keeping the revised numbers from being released.

Equally bad is the fact that in LA County, wherever condo developments are built next to single family homes, those homes decline in value.

La Merced area and Racquet Mountain homeowners, say bye-bye to your home's equity if these disease causing budget busting babies ever get built!
John Doe

Hesperia, CA

#6 Jan 5, 2014
You could add the problem of finding spaces for the estimated 600 students that would be added to the school district. Imagine 10-20 buses running out of there every morning.
Theolona Ranger

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jan 5, 2014
There are no funds for transportation in the "specific plan"
No safe walkway to any school
Think of hundreds of mom car trips twice a day.

Do not forget the Montebello fault which is not disclosed/ mitigated in the DEIR
Long Beach Observer

La Puente, CA

#8 Jan 6, 2014
I was also thinking about all those lookie-loos peering down into the La Merded backyards from the upper floors of the multi story condos and the outer walkway. That seemed to me to resonate greatly with those who live there.

The developer put out a strangely drawn mailer that pseudo-scientifically claimed that no one could possible see into the La Merced backyards.

Of course, those of us who can think know that if you can see the hills from your backyard, then those in the hills can see your backyard. I remember hearing about adolescent boys spending hours up in the hills with binoculars scanning the backyards and peering into windows with no good on their minds. How many would do that again, if the Deadly Domiciles are ever built?
Montebello Historian

Whittier, CA

#9 Jan 6, 2014
There did seem to be a resurgence in 'birdwatching' in the hills when the homes along Los Amigos and environs were built. Generally, this activity happened above pools where pretty girls were lounging around getting a tan. Perhaps the boys expected the birds to be attracted to the chlorinated pool water, or an itsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polka dot bikini?

Just think, whole generations of voyeurs may be itching to get their hands on those condos, despite, or perhaps even, because of their deadly ground.
Trash talk

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Jan 8, 2014
Where is "All of the Above"

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#11 Jan 8, 2014
Sorry, there are only 10 slots for poll answers, and I was more interested in finding out which specific problems my fellow residents considered the worst.

I flubbed the 'voyeur effect' of the proposed development, so anyone who considers voyeurs looking down into your backyard the worst aspect of the proposed condo development, just note that in the comments section.
Compassion for the family

Costa Mesa, CA

#12 Jan 11, 2014
With all of these problems, who is supporting this abomination?
Long Beach Observer

La Puente, CA

#13 Jan 14, 2014
Compassion for the family wrote:
With all of these problems, who is supporting this abomination?
Eager Voyeurs and Unquestioning Union Ubermensches.
Concerned Bystander

Riverside, CA

#14 Jan 19, 2014
With regards to the school issue, would there be a walking path as shown in some of the would-be developer's maps through the 'gnatcatcher preserve' down to Poplar Ave. for children to walk to La Merced Elementary and Intermediate?

I wonder if the same amount of litter would appear on the lawns of La Merced residents as around other schools with large numbers of walking students?
Compassion for the family

Riverside, CA

#15 Feb 2, 2014
Are these developers not aware of the cancer risks from the chemicals? How can anyone knowingly propose such an infernal, Godless development?
Witty Whittierite

Whittier, CA

#16 Feb 14, 2014
I'm so sorry you have dangerous drilling, pumping, and fracking in your hills, but it is a great example to the people of Whittier of what could happen if we allow drilling in our city.

Some crazier than now city council could actually entertain the idiotic idea of putting homes ON TOP of dangerous oil wells!

You residents of Montebello who are stopping the unconscionable proposed condo development, thank you for your leading the way to save your city and its inhabitants.
Red Herring

Montebello, CA

#17 Feb 17, 2014
Compassion for the family wrote:
Are these developers not aware of the cancer risks from the chemicals? How can anyone knowingly propose such an infernal, Godless development?
I don't know. What about the residents that live near the hills who are complaining about this project? If they really believe there is a cancer risk from the oil why in god's name are they still living there? Is their home more important than their health or the health of their family? Or maybe it's just a scare tactic and the truth is the risk doesn't exist.
Godless Communist Fish

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Feb 17, 2014
Try getting a fair market value for a home in the Rideout area of Whittier with all the H2SO4 seeps.
Red Herring

Montebello, CA

#19 Feb 17, 2014
Godless Communist Fish wrote:
Try getting a fair market value for a home in the Rideout area of Whittier with all the H2SO4 seeps.
Godless Communist Fish? Anyway, if I have to choose between my health and a fair market value for my home, I'm taking my health every time.
Witty Whittierite

La Puente, CA

#20 Feb 17, 2014
Red Herring wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. What about the residents that live near the hills who are complaining about this project? If they really believe there is a cancer risk from the oil why in god's name are they still living there? Is their home more important than their health or the health of their family? Or maybe it's just a scare tactic and the truth is the risk doesn't exist.
I guess you aren't from this area, or you would know that virtually EVERYONE in Montebello is complaining about this proposed project, not just the people who live near the hills.

No small development area in Montebello, indeed, in the USA, has people who's are living above 300 oil wells, 100 of which are still operating. In Whittier, we now have a handful of operating wells, and they are causing all kinds of problems for nearby homes.

It is not a belief that there is a cancer risk from oil production. It is a fact. Every study ever done that correlates proximity of oil emissions to health problems has demonstrated a link between oil and health problems. They even have correlations between specific kinds of oil emissions and specific bad health effects.

There is an anecdotal spike in cancer cases in north Montebello, but reportedly the Chamber of Commerce has squelched any talk of the city to try to get a handle on the actual numbers because of the effect it could have on the city's economy. It's a lot like the story of how to boil live frogs. Turn up the heat slowly, and they won't jump out of the pot. In north Montebello, more and more neighbors are turning up with all kinds of cancer, but the locals are reportedly so used to so many cancer cases that they are not as concerned with it as they would be if suddenly confronted with the real numbers.

In short, the risk exists, the city's administration is paralyzed regarding this threat, and the proposed development would only make the existing problem worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montebello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Children briefly trapped after tree falls on ca... 1 hr bigpun 1
hpt 1 hr La Mirada fan 2
all gang members in baldwin park should be shot! (Feb '13) 1 hr Sur 13 Beat 22
Tony Aiello, come out of the closet...for clowns (Apr '10) 1 hr LMKnows 13
Montebello Hills: Decades in the Waiting 4 hr Chaconaholic 10
News Montebello City Council votes 3-2 to give city ... Sat 42 yr North Mtb r... 18
Too Many Cars Parked On The Streets Mar 26 Concerned Bystander 19

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at March 29 at 3:19PM PDT

Montebello Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Montebello People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]