Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
160,761 - 160,780 of 200,364 Comments Last updated 46 min ago

“"Into This World Were Thrown"”

Since: Sep 12

"Into This World Were Born"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Proposition 8 won at the polls; that proves same sex marriage is antidemocratic.
And with yet one more bumper sticker post from Brian,3 words come to mind! Maine,Maryland and Washington state! Now what Bri? LOL

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I would add that there are thousands of Christian churches that support same sex marriage and want to preform them in their churches.... why are their religious rights being denied?
You are right, Christians are not one block that speak with one voice, that has not been the case ever, and particularly not since the ending of the dark ages.
Not to mention that they are NOT the only religon in this country.
Don't forget they are the dying liberal denominations that have long ago abandoned the historic adherence to the Christian faith and designed their own religion.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
We distinguish human rights for a number of different classifications. SCOTUS has done so a number of times because marriage is the best birthplace of every member of society.
You claim a ss couple who is mutually procreative desolate deserves the same rights and protections? Do you understand how stupid and ridiculous that is?
Smile.
Yes I think couples that don’t have the ability or desire to have children’s marriages are as important as yours and deserve the same rights.

The difference between us is that I don’t need to run other folks down to make myself feel better.

I am sure glad don’t need your approval for my marriage as your opinion is meaningless to me.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget they are the dying liberal denominations that have long ago abandoned the historic adherence to the Christian faith and designed their own religion.
LOL so you think you have the right to deny other churches their rights, hope you are ready to grant me the same right with respect to yours.

I will not abide a tyrant, you don’t get to decide anything for anyone else.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
hence the quotation marks. LOL. i call those types of "christians" self-avowed because it's a little difficult for me to buy into the line of thinking that it's ok to be derisive of my fellow mankind or to think "christians" are better than any other type of human on the earth (athiest, muslim, etc) and are to be treated deferentially by the laws of this nation.
i get disgusted by these types of self avowed christians that paint an ugly face of christ for others to see and to be pushed away from that which all christians should feel, share and understand : God's grace.
i respect your choice in being an athiest. i do not desire to force my christian outlook or expectations upon you or anyone else via legislation.
i think this swing that we're seeing in numbers of christians that are falling away and the rise in polling of people that are for same sex marriage is a direct result of the verbiage of these self avowed christians - and how they treat non-christians. why would anyone want to join their 'club' if they treat people the way they do? i think, by and large, people aren't buying into the way christ is depicted and certainly aren't buying what the self avowed christians are selling.
And yet, Christians are on the right side of science in agreeing that marriage is distinct from ss couples.

Ironic isn't it.

Smirk.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to use epoxy to keep them on LOL
But I would hate to lose that, I really would, I want… desperately, to think better of people than what they show.
But look at history, you started with black people, it wasn’t 200 years before that one could be burned at the state for being a Protestant, or Catholic ( depending on where you were )
it goes back and back and back
But you could be right, we may have to wait for them to die off, my relatives were from the deep south, so you can imagine what I heard as a child, but the children of those same people, are supportive of equal rights for everyone, even same sex marrage.
What annoys me is the people that we are waiting to die off, are my age, that bothers me no end. It was my generation that was supposed to get past all this garbage, we failed, however when I look at my children ( now in their 30's and 40's ) and their friends, where we have failed we at least taught those values to the next generation, even if we could not live up to them ourselves.
I have kept young by keeping young people around me, and listening ( not waiting my turn to talk ) to what they are saying, and thinking about why they are saying that. Sometimes that takes some effort on my part… my opinions are pretty ingrained.
If you look at the polls,( by young I mean 35 and younger ) they have overwhelming support for same sex marriage.
It helps, I may be an old man ( well older anyway ) but I have kept an open mind.
History records that same pattern. Greece swung toward open acceptance, and then quickly away.

Make it seem like your mind is so open your brains fell out...

Snicker.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
what a great story of your family! that's pretty awesome indeed.
i have a couple nephews that are in their 30s that are pretty staunchly anti-homosexual rights, based entirely upon what their church has taught them. yet, they cannot deny what they see in my partner and i - 23 yrs together, faithful to one another, loyal to one another, raising 3 kids that are pretty terrific (sorry, just a little proud of them) and serving our church and community in a similar fashion as they do in their churches and towns. i think in knowing us, in being exposed to us, they're getting a better understanding of the whole issues. we even went to church with one of them a few times in support of them a few yrs back when they had lost a son in a tragic accident...and their pastor even had a light turn on in their head and heart in dealing with us. my nephew said that he learned a good bit from us though that tragedy - we supported them in ways that their siblings and church family couldn't and didn't. i think that forged at least a softer approach in his heart with regards to gay rights.
that's the only way to get through to some people - let them see how we live. a baptist preacher friend told me a few months ago that all things were possible when reasonable people sat down and talked as humans, not as adversaries. we have to learn to reach for the commonalities between us instead of what divides us.
and that's something the politcal parties and the politicians in this country fail to see, fail to act upon. and it's killing us as a nation.
In the face of this most basic essence of marriage; a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior, your discussion is simply and purely denial.

Kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it.

Smile.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, i see.
wanting to the principles of feeding the poor, offering homes to the homeless, clothing those in need are all principles of "moral-less" liberals.
and the "high-morals" of the republicans include not spending any money on those less fortunate or the healing the sick or even creating a second class citizen of the tax paying homosexuals.
gotcha, nutcase.
Bull shit. Liberals demand other people's money and disperse it for votes.

Christians are on the front lines of meeting needs in every community across the country.

Reality's a bitch isn't it.

Smile.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have the 'nads to admit you made a mistake.
That's one thing that is pathetic about you.
Another is you go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how little you think I matter.
And you searched through tens of thousands of posts to find a specific post I made.
Methinks the lady doth protest too much!
Poor Rose, so desperately wants someone to take her seriously.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
History records that same pattern. Greece swung toward open acceptance, and then quickly away.
Make it seem like your mind is so open your brains fell out...
Snicker.
Yes. Historically Christians were murdered for entertainment.

Just because something was true in history, does not make it a good thing.

I loved your last line, I always picture your "Jesus" at the rock saying the things you people say. Yep.. wonderful followers, he would be so proud.

He would say… throw that stone! Wouldn’t he?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you make a post that doesn't mention me?
Not when explaining ignorance. You are pert of the Websters definition.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
California would be one of them if the vote were held again today
So you assume the 3rd time would be the charm?
Press blue

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Press blue and get the results needed to shut the stinking mouths of RNC, GOP, Republican and Tea Party members.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the link. Prior to reading your posts I just assumed that marriage automatically carried over from state to state, that one state could force aanother state to accept a marriage.
Many people do, but James Madison explains it quite well in Federalist#42. He clearly shows how one may have certain "privileges" in one State while not enjoying the same in another. The only requirement is that a Citizen of one State be granted the SAME privileges as the citizen's of said state are granted while visiting.

" It seems to be a construction scarcely avoidable, however, that those who come under the denomination of free inhabitants of a State, although not citizens of such State, are entitled, in every other State, to all the privileges of free citizens of the latter; that is, to greater privileges than they may be entitled to in their own State... " James Madison- Federalist#42

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
A fundie talking about science...LOL.
I pass gas that knows more about odds than you do.
You are talking about odds after the fact.
That's like asking what are the odds Lou Gehrig would have died of Lou Gehrig's disease.
A puddle of crud theory atheist talking about science...LOL...I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist. That some apes evolved, others didn't and all life started from a puddle of crud that just showed up.'theory of evolution'. It's a fairy tale for grown ups!
Faster crooks

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Keep an eye on these kind of people, crooks they should be stood up against a wall after the 5 minute trial.

Former city police Chief Nate Harper will plead guilty to charges that he conspired to steal city police funds deposited into unauthorized police credit union accounts and failed to file federal tax returns from 2008 to 2011.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You may miss the days when divorce was more difficult, battered women ( or men ) stuck where they could not get out, molested children where they wife would actively turn her had the other way as she had no where else she could go other than to cover it up.
I don’t
Our marriages are stronger today because of how easy divorce is.
there is a saying you may have heard of. "He that doeth evil hateth the light", that applies directly here.
Today marriages are more active, couples do things together to keep their marriages alive and strong and rely less on a piece of paper to keep it so.
I prefer my wife to be my wife because she wants to be my wife, not because some piece of paper makes her so. What is it that you are so afraid of? What is it that you want to do so desperately that you know it is too easy for your wife to divorce you for?
You may not be old enough to remember, but I can tell you, the good old days weren’t all that good, and tomorrow is not as bad as it seems.( I should call Billy Joel and get permission to use that )
Let see, marriages are 'stronger' because they can be broken easier. Oh, and never mind the children...

Been married 36 years. Fallen in and out of love a number of times, but been committed the whole time. Good thing my wife stayed through the times she didn't want to.

Need hip boots for the BS level tonight...

Smirk.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Gregory Dale wrote:
Kimare is soooooo completely out of touch with mainstream Christianity. It's no wonder he didn't have a successful career in the United Church of Christ (UCC) as a pastor in Hawaii. The UCC, of course, has always been at the forefront of social activism. Kimare's beliefs, however, would set social issues back at least one century.
Had one of the largest UCC churches in HI, in a small outer island community.

Growing too, while most UCC churches are rapidly dying.

Smile.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Let see, marriages are 'stronger' because they can be broken easier. Oh, and never mind the children...
Been married 36 years. Fallen in and out of love a number of times, but been committed the whole time. Good thing my wife stayed through the times she didn't want to.
Need hip boots for the BS level tonight...
Smirk.
Thanks for the assist and chuckle.

Since: Jan 10

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? I simply pointed out the Constitution does not treat all citizens "equal" in all matters, the constitution has to interpreted. How the heck in the name of Francis Albert Sinatra, did u think I was "comparing the the rules regarding qualifying for POTUS to the rights of Gay Americans"?
<quoted text>
it amuses me how some rainbow flag wavers toss around the word "bigot" simply because one opposes the legal redefinition of marriage, that it is, pun intended", inconceivable. Heaven forbid, you realize you already do, as do I, possess the right to marry. You simply do not wish to exercise such a right in the same manner as everybody else.
<quoted text>
That's when you all start whining like little children. What will YOU chooches come up with next? Just admit it, you are weirded out by the fact that you were created by a sex act, coital intercourse, between a man and a woman, and that clouds YOUR judgement. In other words, the only one who is a bigot here is you!
You pointed it out to justify why you think it’s okay that Gay Americans are not afforded equal marriage rights. Otherwise, why would you say it? That makes you a bigot, bigot. The rest of your post is just hysterical ramblings.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Montebello Discussions

Search the Montebello Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 12 min Serpico 2,357
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 30 min rain or snow to slow 15,928
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 31 min Abrahem 7,849
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 35 min tail pipe 4,898
For Paul Cook 40 min Oops 3
Baldwin Park officials seek restraining order o... 53 min End of Story 4
Cook Wins Tafoya Lozano BIG Losers 1 hr Funny Story 9
•••
•••

Montebello News Video

•••
•••

Montebello Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••