March for Montebello To Continue This Year

Aug 16, 2013 | Posted by: 42 yr North Mtb resident | Full story: egpnews.com

An annual walk promoting local economic stimulation in Montebello will take place Aug. 17 as scheduled, now that safety concerns have been addressed.

Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Aug 26, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

If anyone has a link to the details, please post it.
mee

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

i saw the sign's of no parking - but how do we participate if we the montebello citizens have no clue - i want to participate what time does this start?
????

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

42 yr North Mtb resident wrote:
If anyone has a link to the details, please post it.
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php...

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

[QUOTE who="????"]<quote d text>
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php... [/QUOTE]Thank you for the info. I'll put it in the story above, too.

8:30 am - Registration at Heavenly Choice, 534 N. Montebello Blvd. Park at Shops at Montebello return ride available.

11:30 - After the walk is over, there will be a Community Rally by the Montebello Indian Cheerleaders.

12:00 pm - Radio Disney

3:00 pm - Back to School Fashion Show

Thank You Goodie Bags sponsored by Shops At Montebello will be distributed to the first 350 participants who walked the route
????

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

42 yr North Mtb resident wrote:
[QUOTE who="????"]<quote d text>
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php... ;

Thank you for the info. I'll put it in the story above, too.

8:30 am - Registration at Heavenly Choice, 534 N. Montebello Blvd. Park at Shops at Montebello return ride available.

11:30 - After the walk is over, there will be a Community Rally by the Montebello Indian Cheerleaders.

12:00 pm - Radio Disney

3:00 pm - Back to School Fashion Show

Thank You Goodie Bags sponsored by Shops At Montebello will be distributed to the first 350 participants who walked the route
How did this event go? How was the turnout?
Good March

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

More Efficient Communities – in both new and existing development footprints

The following policies should govern both new development and be applied wherever feasible to our existing developed areas:

Reduce the need to drive passenger vehicles by shortening the distance between workplace, home, shopping and school, using “smart growth” planning and improved transportation options. Provide safe and appealing options for walking, bicycling and mass transit, including light rail passenger trains, which will reduce vehicle trips, emissions, fuel consumption, and the demand for new roads and pavement. Well-designed mixed-use communities create long-term reductions in energy usage. Appropriately designed public transportation systems are an essential component of a sustainable energy society.

Although as you’d expect, the devil is in the details, and we have an important role in seeking that infill projects create inviting places to be and reduce auto use.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

The above is one of the best arguments for a new, modern general plan emphasizing mixed-use.
How funny

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

The march on montebello is nothing but a politic front for Christina Cortez and her business cronies. This year takes in a new twist to help out her candidates Daniel Hernandez and Flavio Gallarzo. Most people see behind these smoke and mirrors as mostly her familia and parks and rec friends participate.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Perhaps some don't know, but the March for Montebello is an effort to call attention to the ability of Montebello's (and other city's)residents to immediately, positively improve the financial situation in Montebello by buying in the city.

It is a positive, enjoyable, and important message and endeavor.

Some people don't care about helping the city, but many want to see a better city, and this is a great way to do it.

While there are some personal and political allies of the Mayor in the March, most come to call attention to the positive idea of direct personal action to help the city.

Principles before personalities.
Are you kidding

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Once again 42 yr north Mtb resident gets it wrong. His principles are that his are in disarray and would rather side with unscrupulous electeds who use the position for their own betterment. He is a typical citizen who is easily scammed by the disingenuous pol who will sell anything for a vote. But that is the story of poor old Montebello sold a bill of goods by politicians who are in for themselves. Just wait as the mailers begin next month. They will try to be everything to everyone from save the hills, to bringing in new business. In the end, it is about the class of people who reside here. Look around 42 yr...They are not improving. They look just like you.
Agree

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Are you kidding is right on. It could no have been said better.
Theolona Ranger

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

It appears that Are you kidding and his alter ego agree need to have their input levels adjusted.
$2 said nothing about supporting any Person
His point was to support the principal of "shop Montebello"
Why make this personal?
There were no political indications at the event.
I do not think that a "shop Montebello" effort is effective but do not disparage those that do.
I'm more concerned about Bus line evidently buying outside the City.
WTF, the City could have forgiven the sales tax and kept the business in the city since they were not going to get the sales tax anyway, or some other type of incentive.
The City owns the bus company
Time for a shake up.
Can you believe it

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Theolona, ineffective attempts by council members who have little to offer are indicative of Montebello and are futile in making the city fiscally sound. Why waste time on such events when, as you say, general plans towards fiscal solvency involving development, county fire, transportation, infrastructure, etc. should be what is focused on? Kudos to Agree and Are you kidding for providing a sound perspective on this city and being honest as to the political undertones that keep this city stagnant.
Theolona Ranger

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

I agree with "can you believe it"
however

The point was is that "are you kidding" painted 42 year as a Christina Supporter. I do not know if he/she is or not but after looking at years of posts involving Christina
Danny Ku
Billie Martinez
HUD
Union Stooge
Early in her first term asking her handlers before making any decision.
Chris Robles/ consulting contracts/ conflicts of interest.
I do not think that mixing 42 year and the March with Christina and other politicians is valid.
Not a "political" event.
Bill M constant boosterism is also feckless.
The Chamber is also.
The problem is that the gang of three spent the City's future and put in place unsustainable contracts- just look at eh Sevacherian purchase/ leaseback - costs the City $30,000,000
It's mortgaged
Todays children will be paying off the debts and catching up.
Even with "the lowest wages in the area" (notice how the employees are heading for the doors? NOT)
There is a large supply of furloughed city type employees looking for jobs
the benefits are unsustainable
Big boom in the economy would help
There is NO other answer
The condo project is a red herring
It hurts rather than helps
do not fall for it
Meanwhile the council can muddle through and be uncorrupted.
Theolona Ranger

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Don't get me wrong
The current council is pure as the drive snow compared to the previous gang of three.
Rosie Vasquez administration and previous got the City into an ongoing "structural deficit" as well as spending all the cash, ruining the credit rating, etc.
The Sevacherian deal is one of the worst but unfortunately just one of many.
Hilton Management is another- City is upside down over $5,000,000 and goes a further $1,000,000 in the hole every year with no light at the end of the tunnel.
They allowed the me me me "public safety" folks illegally to go "over budget over a million dollars a year for years and years.
Gave them a big raise even though the country had already turned into the worst recession since the great depression- no money to pay that raise but the Unions still wanted more, COLA,
Time on the job, longevity
Nothing about MERIT, Ability
Cooked the books
Nepotism with the Daily Brew and the PR guy.
Sewing the City, Plaques, Conflicts of interest with the tow company, dial a ride, etc.
Is Jimmy's, still vacant?
Is the Cultural center done
Nope
Why?
The Previous council took all the money from the pot that was supposed to fund the Cultural Center and spent it in other areas-
Spent/ promised one pot of money Three times-
None of them worked out and
??? Is the money gone???
What did the farce of illegally hiring their choice of City Manager cost the City?
Having "their boy" inside was the only way to control things once Rosie lost her election.
IF the new council did NOTHING it would have been better than the old council and actually they have done a lot just to keep the city's head above water.
Do not jump out of the frying pan back into the fire
Can you believe it

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Pure? Ridiculous. Major ethics problems with the majority. Probably not enough to land them in jail or to for a resignation but certainly moral and principle issues. All politics aside, they are no different than many electeds in Bell, Pico Rivera, and like cities due to their backgrounds and lack of education. It is just the inherent nature of the beast in San Gabriel Valley municipalities. The voters only have themselves to blame. Expect nothing more after the election. Same old, just new faces (maybe), and a city with the same problems.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Can someone argue that buying in Montebello is a bad idea, or is it a good idea? That is the entire reason for the March.

Is there no one beside myself and Theolona who wish to discuss ideas and philosophies that could help the city, or is slinging mud without thought too tempting?

Perhaps some haven't noticed, but there is no firm council majority. There are 5 - 0, 4 - 1, 3 - 2 votes on many issues at virtually every meeting that the current 5 councilmembers attend.
Theolona Ranger

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Agree with 42
Can you believe it must be referring to the gang of three. There may have been major ethics problems with Christina but lately? She threw most of those "supporters" under the bus before the last election. She did not need them. and BTW she is not running this year.

You can believe the rest of can you believe it's post

The real issue is who she supports in this election and the others who are running.
Personally I would look very closely at anyone fronting for the MPD and MFD.
Major drains to the budget usually follow.
Ridiculous

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

42 and Theolona, you are both living in lala land. Cortez will get cash and not report it in either her or Hernandez or Gallarzo financials from Ku, Sevacherian, Perrin, etc. in this election to push a detrimental agenda. First heads to roll will be the police chief, city administrator, Huntley, and Glasman (unless he kicks her money through Atina for Hills projects and Molinari loses). Those supporters you talk about are playing low now but will funnel her candidates money as they see even bigger money down the road. The hills will be developed, Perrin is owed big bucks, and Ku is not going away. This is not Disneyland and make believe; this is the big leagues. Don't get fixated on just police and fire like Molinari is. Cortez needs the money as does Barajas to survive in life. They are both under a lot of financial pressure to stay in office. This election is a lot bigger than a seat on a city council. Open your eyes!
Theolona Ranger

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

Ridiculous
You hit the nail on the head
now dig out the backgrounds
Glasman will swing whichever way the wind blows- that's what City attns do- comes with the job description count to three
However I was addressing can you believe it's assumption of a majority in the current council
BTW
maybe it's better with no majority to dictate
Especially a corrupt majority as was recently there

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Montebello Discussions

Search the Montebello Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 6 min facts faced 15,929
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 7 min texas gov booked 200,554
Tullis' body remains in coroner's custody (Mar '07) 9 min M C history 49
Reservoir Dogs North adams MA are the Bitchs of... (Oct '13) 25 min supporter 25
Fugitive sought for shooting of pregnant woman ... (Nov '11) 7 hr EMF GANG 48
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon Mudflys to 7,901
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Mon Green Soilent 4,975
•••
•••

Montebello News Video

•••
•••

Montebello Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Montebello People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE