Comments
81 - 100 of 135 Comments Last updated Friday Aug 22
Pete

Cedar Rapids, IA

#84 Sep 9, 2012
Just replaced 21 windows with the triple pane plygems. A friend had his entire house replaced a year ago and was very happy with them. Lifetime warranty which can transfer one time.
Ask for a list of homes where the windows are installed and walk up and talk to the owners. Its a big cost item and learn to research properly! I spoke with 4 different owners in person and they were all happy.
Sounds like a lot of the problems mentioned here are install related issues....
Paul

Pasadena, CA

#85 Sep 12, 2012
Mick Dallas Tx wrote:
I've been using Contractor 2000 series for a while. No problems at all. Very energy efficient and look good. So far all happy customers.
The one thing I don't get is why do they have so many different lines of windows? Looking at Ply Gem windows website I see windows that look the same but are named differently depending where you live. I don't like this.

Limited lifetime has many exclusions. Devil is in the details.
Alicia

United States

#86 Sep 12, 2012
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
The one thing I don't get is why do they have so many different lines of windows? Looking at Ply Gem windows website I see windows that look the same but are named differently depending where you live. I don't like this.
Limited lifetime has many exclusions. Devil is in the details.
Paul, the reason for the all the different names is that PlyGem purchased and consolidated several window manufacturing facilities across the country back in 2008-2009. Here on the West Coast it was formerly CertainTeed, who decided to get out of vinyl windows altogether. Because most dealers were already familiar with the particular style and series of windows they tried to keep them as sismilar as possible. So the differing lines are really regionally based depending on each manufacturing facility and what type of extrusions they already had in place. Made for a much smoother transition and now the brand has the backing of the Nationwide company. Based on other Vinyl window manufacturers here on the West Coast, PlyGem's warranty is solid ans similar. Most common warranty claim is for seal failure in the insulated glass units (double or triple pane), which can happen no matter what brand you buy. With PlyGem you are fully covered for glass replacement in this case.
Marla

El Macero, CA

#87 Sep 28, 2012
Paul wrote:
I think the Ply Gem Window warranty is different depending on where you live. I live in Califonia and Ply Gem would not send me glass unless I paid for it. Two windows with cracked glass cost me $760 to fix. I had to find my own installer to do it. Service and product are not great.
If you live in CA, Los angeles area and they are also in Corona Ca, only a few miles away and they wont replace the glass for free.... why would anyone else want to buy these windows further away.
J Jones

Burlington, NJ

#88 Oct 3, 2012
Are Ply Gem Windows any better than Cutting Edge windows. My Builders grade windows are starting to fail. The seals are broken and condensation is getting in the glass, also there is air leakage around the frames. Renewal by Anderson is just way too expensive I have 22 windows to replace and several are 1/2 moon shape. Any suggestions!!!
TES

Mooresville, NC

#89 Oct 15, 2012
jim wrote:
plygem has several levels of product. The builder grade window is just that builder grade no a great window at all. The next level is pro-series, if you look at this product get the upgraded spacer which is called Weplus. This is a better spacer its a warm edge spacer. The next series is called Preium 1000 which has foam in the frame and can be dual pane as well as triple pane with argon gas between the glass and it comes with the we plus spacer. Plygem is also connected to Great Lakes which is out of the midwest and they also have foam filled vinyl products called seabrook and uniframe which also can be dual pane or triple pane with argon and the Uniframe can also come with Krypton which is better then argon.
Obviously you are the product of a public school (government) education. You are semi-literate !!!
Janet Elk Grove CA

Sacramento, CA

#90 Oct 22, 2012
Vinyl windows. Having a hard time deciding between Amerimax Dual Pane Low E2 windows or the Plygem Pro Series 200. Plygem is offering a free upgrade to a triple pane until 10/31. From what I read on their site this would provide an R value of 5 (more energy efficient). I have found good reviews for the Amerimax but not much on the Plygem 200. Both products have the Argon gas. Does anyone have knowledge of these 2 products that would help me decide on 1 product over the other? The Amerimax product is more expensive than the Plygem; is it worth the extra difference in price ?
Brandon

Bronx, NY

#91 Nov 29, 2012
Hi I am looking to buy 44 triple pane pro 200 series Windows for our home we are remodeling. Now that it has been Over a year, are you still happy with them? Thanks so much for your time.
Mark D wrote:
A month ago, I had all my house windows replaced with Plygem Professional Series windows. Triple-Pane Low e. They look nice. It is alot quieter inside the house now. They seal good, but haven't had any real wind yet to check the seal. The locks are decent design. The real test of the windows will be this January....
So far, I'm happy with the windows.
They were installed by Procraft Windows - Mountlake Terrace -Seattle. The salesman was shady and dishonest in how he did his selling, but that is a different story. Paid the Premium price, but got Professional installed.
John

United States

#92 Feb 9, 2013
We have aluminum windows in our new home that our contractor installed. After researching they appear to be a base model. We are experiencing high levels of condensation on the frames not glass. The builder told us this was the house "acclimating". Meaning there is a period where things such as the paint, sheet rock, wood etc. sweat moisture out. I asked others who are builders and they said this was possible but only for short periods. We've had some poor quality work done on parts of the house and unfortunately it was by the same folks who installed the windows. These are ply gem windows and we are very disappointed. The windows were part of his building package. Since he was building a $310,000 dollar home we assumed better quality windows. Any thoughts.
MissA

Henderson, NC

#93 Feb 12, 2013
We have just installed Ply Gem windows & doors on our newly constructed home. So far (it has only been a few months), the windows seem perfectly fine. Our problem is with the french doors that we installed; they all leak at the bottom. A service repairman supplied by the building supply rep that we used has been out to fix the problem, but they still leak at the bottom everytime it rains. Has anyone else experienced this problem with Ply Gem doors?
Rhaverlock

Seattle, WA

#94 Feb 27, 2013
John M wrote:
<quoted text> I have bought Simonton windows 6 years ago but where not from Home Depot. I sent more for the triple pane and well woth the additional cost. Look for a Simonton dealer in your area and look at the 9800 series
Well after reading the comments, maybe you should look else-where!
That said, double-hungs look good, and I've installed them on my own home, they are not-very-energy efficient!

No sliders, usually not double hungs, anything with compression style, awning, tilt,tilt and swival are way better.
Rhaverlock

Seattle, WA

#95 Feb 27, 2013
John wrote:
We have aluminum windows in our new home that our contractor installed. After researching they appear to be a base model. We are experiencing high levels of condensation on the frames not glass. The builder told us this was the house "acclimating". Meaning there is a period where things such as the paint, sheet rock, wood etc. sweat moisture out. I asked others who are builders and they said this was possible but only for short periods. We've had some poor quality work done on parts of the house and unfortunately it was by the same folks who installed the windows. These are ply gem windows and we are very disappointed. The windows were part of his building package. Since he was building a $310,000 dollar home we assumed better quality windows. Any thoughts.
Then I'd have to say, you got ripped off!

Never by aluminum windows, unless they are aluminum-clad windows? That could mean wood windows with aluminum clad wrapped on the outside for protection. Aluminum sweats, period!

Find a new window guy, and educate yourselfs!Ply-gem has different types or levels of windows. look at the 1000 level with warm spacers and dual pane with filled (for warmth)frames!

And it depends on where you live, if its colder buy better windows. And what about your building shell, air-tight, beyond code or better insulation? don't waist money on really good windows if your house leaks like a sieve.
Rhaverlock

Seattle, WA

#96 Feb 27, 2013
J Jones wrote:
Are Ply Gem Windows any better than Cutting Edge windows. My Builders grade windows are starting to fail. The seals are broken and condensation is getting in the glass, also there is air leakage around the frames. Renewal by Anderson is just way too expensive I have 22 windows to replace and several are 1/2 moon shape. Any suggestions!!!
Maybe their upper end windows, 1000 line with warm spacers and triple pane windows with insulation in the frame. I don't usually buy any window in the US. Most of my windows come from Canada, or the UK. Their about 40 years ahead of us. Your correct, Anderson are way over-priced and under built. "Cascadia" (Canada) windows are really good, Sirius windows, Colorado, Thermatec window, Canada but more expensive, but you get what you pay for!.
Rhaverlock

Seattle, WA

#97 Feb 27, 2013
MissA wrote:
We have just installed Ply Gem windows & doors on our newly constructed home. So far (it has only been a few months), the windows seem perfectly fine. Our problem is with the french doors that we installed; they all leak at the bottom. A service repairman supplied by the building supply rep that we used has been out to fix the problem, but they still leak at the bottom everytime it rains. Has anyone else experienced this problem with Ply Gem doors?
Its not the windows, its the installers! Flashing, Flashing, Flasing, and seal plate pans! Or, whats on the bottum of the doors, what type of gaskets? Any?
Rhaverlock

Seattle, WA

#98 Feb 27, 2013
Janet Elk Grove CA wrote:
Vinyl windows. Having a hard time deciding between Amerimax Dual Pane Low E2 windows or the Plygem Pro Series 200. Plygem is offering a free upgrade to a triple pane until 10/31. From what I read on their site this would provide an R value of 5 (more energy efficient). I have found good reviews for the Amerimax but not much on the Plygem 200. Both products have the Argon gas. Does anyone have knowledge of these 2 products that would help me decide on 1 product over the other? The Amerimax product is more expensive than the Plygem; is it worth the extra difference in price ?
Well, How tight is your home, beyond code? If not, don't waste the money! Ply-gem wdws have different levels of window, bottom stuff to not bad. I'm in the middle of rearching these windows which are being used in my area by a very green builder.

As I read this site, they don't seam to have good customer service, nor support. That said, ook only at their uper line line, 1000 double pane, warm spacers and if in cold area, insulated frames!
Rhaverlock

Seattle, WA

#99 Feb 27, 2013
Janet Elk Grove CA wrote:
And, it also depends on where your windows are located, N,S,W and East. Don't pay for higher priced gas when not needed! In my area, argon would be much needed on the South (heated side), and on the West. East and north don't need it. Example also, if your in a area that's cold and gets alot of snow from, say the north, and its not protected, ie., trees, large overhangs, other buildings, etc.-R
Chuck

Mooresboro, NC

#100 Mar 10, 2013
Christy wrote:
So it sounds like PlyGem windows isnt a good window.Does nayone one know good window comapny??
I have a mountain top home addition and I had Anderson 400 series casement and picture windows installed 6yrs ago. They do NOT leak a bit and warm to the touch on cold days. Excellent choice.
Darin Garcia

Phoenix, AZ

#101 Mar 13, 2013
Darryl,
My name is Darin Garcia and I am the owner of K & J Windows in Phoenix, AZ. As a certified dealer for Simonton Windows in Arizona, I can tell you some features that set this company and their windows apart.

JD Powers award 4 years in a row.
Accidental Glass Breakage on their 7300 and 7500 series.(standard)
More glass for more viewing than their competitors.
Sleek frames with more channels for strength than the competitors.
Painted Exterior available.
Excellent track record on warranty issues and has the fewest out of any other window or door manufacturer that I rep.
A different window is designed for the Western United States and the Eastern United States which are better suited for the different climates.

Please be aware that the warranties offered by Home Depot are different than that offered through a certified dealer. When working with a certified dealer you are ensured that the installers are trained in that product and the proper installation practices. I cannot say enough good things about the company and their people.

As for plygem I know nothing about them except that they are big.

Hope this helped
erica

Englishtown, NJ

#102 Apr 25, 2013
looking to replace my aluminum windows with PlyGem 5100, low e argon gas vinyl window. Price seems pretty competitive. Home depot will install and has a great warranty. Anyone have experience with them?
Janelle

Graham, NC

#103 May 16, 2013
I recently bought two of these windows, 60 X 60 sliders. When I got home, one pane was cracked from a lower corner, nearly all the way to the top, lacking about 14 inches, going from s bottom corner up, across to the center. They were laying on their sides in the bed of my truck, propped up with a bag of paper trash. The windows have a life time warranty, so the glass pane was shipped to Lowes where I bought the windows, I paid nothing for the replacement. Later my dogs knocked over this one window, along with a table saw, and fell on top of the saw. The slider came out of the window, slide alittle ways but was laying on the rest of the window. The Only that happened, was the cracked pane cracked more. Keep in mind, this is a 60 inch by 60 inch. The table saw had one leg folded under, so you might get the idea how far this window fell. The bottom was flipped completely over. Nothing was damaged by the fall, other than the cracked pane cracked more. I was really impressed with the strength of this window. One thing to mention, when I first got home, there was no one here to help get the windows out of the truck bad so I left them there for a few days, which happened to include a small bit of snow fall. The window that cracked was laying on top of the other window so that may have been my fault that it cracked, maybe from snow being on it, temperature changed and like that. So, I think they was made pretty well. I still need two more, although they will be 48 x 60 inches, and plan on buying the same brand.
James wrote:
Anyone know anything about PlyGem Windows? Never heard of them. PlyGem makes vinyl windows and doors. Are PlyGem Windows good quality? How is PlyGem's warranty service? Please post if you have have PlyGem Windows installed in your home.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montebello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Santa Monica Activists Plan Vigil for Mural 58 min Lolana 2
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 1 hr XplosionSC 4,941
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Bruin Nation 27,084
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr RiccardoFire 200,586
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 14 hr Macko mono 5,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 23 hr Tank ever 7,926
What is the Worst Feature of the Proposed Monte... (Jan '14) Aug 27 mtbresident 79
•••

Montebello News Video

•••
•••

Montebello Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Montebello People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••