general plan for montebello

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#141 Sep 17, 2013

Some may not know, but The Gang of Three that all the independent audits, so far, have shown nearly bankrupted still have their adherents who will not see what the Three did to this city. Their financial millstones of Sevacharian and Athens will weigh this city down for years to come, and their redevelopment grants and 'loans' that were never repaid may have had some influence in the Governor's abolishing all redevelopment agencies.

Thankfully, there are residents here who want to discuss the issues facing the city, and find workable solutions, without personalizing the issues as the corrupt seek to do, for as they demonstrate so clearly in these fora, they are not interested in helping the city, but only their own special interests.

The discussion of verifiable facts and rational policies can only help this city and show who has its best interests in mind.

By contrast, rumor mongering and personalization can only hurt the city, and show who wants to gain at the expense of their neighbors.
whats going on

West Covina, CA

#142 Sep 17, 2013
Can you believe it wrote:
Whats going on is so absurd no response is needed to his comments. This city is going to pot. Barajas is a joke and will go down like water in Niagara falls. He and Cortez are low class and belong in south Montebello (or Bell, or Bell Gardens, or Lynwood, or fill in the blank...). LOL
Comments?????? What comments?????? Are you so blind that you cant see that all I did was cut and paste from a legal paper???????? Are you such a moron that you think I wrote this?????? Check out the link earlier in this thread, or you do you think I put up that site, too????? Maybe I am responsible for the whole internet, IDIOT!!!

I dont know who that guy is that you and your suedonyms seem so afraid of but if you ar so scared of his ideas that you have to call him out he must be hitting close to the mark. Good for Michael!!!!!!!!!!

Look to the council to see who is coming up with positive ideas for the future of Montebello, and who is carping bitching and whining.

Vote for the positive idea people and kick out the whiners who dont know when to leave on their own!!!!

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#143 Sep 17, 2013
Look to the council to see who is coming up with positive ideas for the future of Montebello, and who is carping bitching and whining.

Vote for the positive idea people and kick out the whiners who dont know when to leave on their own!!!!

This is the kind of thinking that will make our city better.

Bravo, What's Going On!

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#144 Sep 17, 2013
Now, does anyone have any other ideas on how to move the city forward through a new, modern General Plan?

Can someone elaborate on what a Hillside Ordinance or Covenant will do, and how they get established?

What about the need for parkland that this city has?

Is there a way to encourage mixed use development along Whittier Blvd, especially in concert with the upcoming Gold Line extension?
Just plain old tired

Montebello, CA

#146 Sep 17, 2013
What's going on finally said something worth remembering:...kick out the whiners who dont know when to leave on their own!!!! Well, Cortez is up for reelection in two years. That's one. Barajas and Molinari can be taken out now. Unfortunately, the alternatives are no better. As for 42 yr North Mtb resident, now he's a waste of print.
Wonder why

Los Angeles, CA

#148 Sep 17, 2013
Just plain old tired wrote:
What's going on finally said something worth remembering:...kick out the whiners who dont know when to leave on their own!!!! Well, Cortez is up for reelection in two years. That's one. Barajas and Molinari can be taken out now. Unfortunately, the alternatives are no better. As for 42 yr North Mtb resident, now he's a waste of print.
I haven't heard Cortez, Barajas or Molinari "whining". They focus on trying to get things done to better city. Gomez wastes city council meeting time complaining about "people " who he thinks have been on council too long. Hadjinian complains about fence around former Taylor Ranch House foundation site & wants to spend big bucks filling it in so it can be re-excavated again in a few months or years. That could be considered comedy, light relief, if the city money it would have cost if rest of council had agreed wasn't so large, up to $200,000.00. The only Councilmember who voted with him on that was Gomez.well, he's on the way out. Maybe he was thinking, Gotta support my buddy.
whats going on

Studio City, CA

#149 Sep 17, 2013
Wonder why wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't heard Cortez, Barajas or Molinari "whining". They focus on trying to get things done to better city. Gomez wastes city council meeting time complaining about "people " who he thinks have been on council too long. Hadjinian complains about fence around former Taylor Ranch House foundation site & wants to spend big bucks filling it in so it can be re-excavated again in a few months or years. That could be considered comedy, light relief, if the city money it would have cost if rest of council had agreed wasn't so large, up to $200,000.00. The only Councilmember who voted with him on that was Gomez.well, he's on the way out. Maybe he was thinking, Gotta support my buddy.
Dont forget that Jack the supposed real estate guru whined and complained about Bill wanting to redevelop Whittier blvd!!!! Doenst he know that sales tax from business is the largest income source for the city????? Are condos the only kind of real estate he likes?????

Does Jack think that someone who cant get a new liquor license to sell big cans of beer is the best way for the city to get more money????? What has he done that has helped the city get more money or made any positive difference?????? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#150 Sep 17, 2013
Wonder why wrote:
<quoted text> The rumors I've heard are that the Garfield/Washington alternative is in the ascendency because it would have the largest ridership. If it is the ultimate choice, then Montebello's focus needs to turn to South Montbello development. There would, of course, be a stop on Whittier Blvd. so the Gold Line might spark opportunities there. The city's Planning Dept. needs to put aside the ill-advised proposed Montebello Hills condo development specific plan and turn its attention to South Montebello. If and when the Garfield/Washington alternative is chosen, the city needs to be ready.
At most of the Metro meetings, they have said that they are in discussion with Mtb bus lines to insure that there will be sufficient north-south bus routes to get people to and from the gold line wherever it ends up.

That makes all the area of Montebello a potential destination for out of town shoppers and workers, and a way for Montebello residents to get to where they want to go by rail. Obviously, the closer to the stations the places are located, the more convenient they will be for travelers, but with sufficient convenient bus routes, anywhere in Montebello is a better location with mass transit.

A strong selling point to mixed use development, retail/commercial, and even residential is proximity to mass transit.
Wonder why

Los Angeles, CA

#151 Sep 17, 2013
whats going on wrote:
<quoted text>Whats going on with more Ridiculous blah blah blah????
For someone whos always going on about others saying the same old thing, your the pot calling the kettle black!!!!! U got NO ideas about how to help the city, NO answer about your lying councilmember freind, NO new info to help people decide who to vote for, just blah blah blah Cortez blah blah blah Molinari!!!! If you are so concerned with the attacks on the Cortez Suburban, go and ask the police about it. If you got something to investigate, put up or shut up!!!! I heard rumors a certain notoirious car dealer set the fire so he could sell another car, but you dont see ME repeating stupid rumors here!!!
Notice that all the helpful specific ideas about helping the city come from those two, Barajas, and their supporters!!!!!!! Why is that, do you suppose?????? Do the other councilmen have no ideas that have any chance of working????? U better believe it~!!!! NO CHANCE for utility tax, NO CHANCE for County Fire, NO CHANCE for some idiotic Taylor ranch makeover!!!! They got NOYHING!!!!!!
Are those paragons of ethics and virtue Baca and Noguez supporting the candidates reportedly backed by Jack like they supported Jack??? The Romero lady is definitely down to their level as shown in the lawsuit. the others are probably equally low characters.
What other city council candidates, besides Romero, are reportedly supported by Councilmember Jack Hadjinian? L.A. County Assesor Noguez is out of jail, but on house arrest, if I remember correctly. He is awaiting trial. Baca is facing challenges of his own from other candidates who want his job. He's got his hands full with the L.A. County Jail scandals. Maybe he & Noguez will keep their hands off Montebello this time.
Trash talk

Ventura, CA

#152 Sep 18, 2013
I live out the 60 corridor.
Gold line to Peck Road, Legg lake is a train to nowhere, No surface street bridges across the 605 freeway and San Gabriel River (say Peck Road) so end station and Park and Ride would be dependent on
Peck/ Durffee and South El Monte Riders
Might Serve Rio Hondo College with a Shuttle.
whereas Route through Montebello could go all the way to Orange County.
Serving many more people and bringing many more the opportunity to commute to/ from Montebello.
I think the SCE right of way is the best N/S route down to S P right of way. Why disturb Garfield?
whats going on

Studio City, CA

#153 Sep 21, 2013
Whats going on with Vivian Romero?????

I just received a forwarded email with a Romero campaign flyer in which she takes sole credit for a bunch of stuff that others actyually helped her with!!!

I guess she doesnt know the words co-author co-writer or we. Its all I I I I I I I I I as far as she is concerned!!!

Does this amnesia about other people doing things extend to all areas of her life??? Does she think she is solely responsible for everything good that happens in Montebello?? Maybe she thinks she is the one that actually got that market in south Montebello permission to sell those big beer cans and the city council vote was just a formality??? She probably got us the tran loan too!! Maybe she will just wave her Godlike hand and the condos in the hills will sprout like mushrooms!!!

It must be wonderful to be able to do everything yourself with no help from others!!! Im jealous!!!
Deep Throat

Calabasas, CA

#154 Sep 21, 2013
"follow the money"

Who did the flyer?
Who paid for it?
Who mailed it?

If she's getting money this early is there a report?
Follow the dinero

Montebello, CA

#155 Sep 21, 2013
Cortez is running Gallardo and Hernandez and taking money that will never be reported. Sounds like Calderon and Noguez. Molinari always gets his money. Barajas probably from the Armenians who he will then owe by voting for the hills. Romero being run by Hadjinian so we know how she will be swayed. They all sound pretty dirty. Bad for ciudad de MonteBELLo.
Wonder why

Los Angeles, CA

#156 Sep 21, 2013
Follow the dinero wrote:
Cortez is running Gallardo and Hernandez and taking money that will never be reported. Sounds like Calderon and Noguez. Molinari always gets his money. Barajas probably from the Armenians who he will then owe by voting for the hills. Romero being run by Hadjinian so we know how she will be swayed. They all sound pretty dirty. Bad for ciudad de MonteBELLo.
Noguez supported retiring City Councilmember Gomez (spoke at Gomez' fundraiser) and current City Councilmember Hadjinian. Didn't Hadjinian publically thank Noguez? Noguez is on house arrest last I heard & is awaiting trial. He sat in jail for months before his friends were able to raise enough money to spring him. He never had any connection or alliance with Mayor Cortez. Didn't the D.A.'s office open an inquiry into Councilmember Hadjinian's role as member of an assessor's office appeal board as part of the overall Noguez/Salari assessor's office investigation? You are way off base in your speculation. As to the Calderons, they supported Former Mayor Rosie Vasquez and her slate (check out the 11-2009 election endorsements), not the recall/reform group of which Cortez and Barajas were a part. BTW, many members of the Armenian Community oppose the unwise plan to build condos on top of the Active Montebello Hills Oill an Natural Gas Field.
Theolona Ranger

Calabasas, CA

#157 Sep 21, 2013
Follow the dinero
Thanks for raising the issues
Only about a month to get it all sorted out
Ask Ron Paul- I think he's a straight shooter
so's the guy that ran for council several times
some do not always agree with him but you know where he stands and he has is reasons which he states which is so much better than platitudes from someone with their hand out behind their back.
Trash Talk

Norwalk, CA

#158 Sep 23, 2013
All my friends in the Armenian Community are against ticky tacky condos in the hills.
Several organized groups like the trash haulers and the churches.
I agree- Ask Larry Salazar if you want the unvarnished truth.
Theolona ranger

Norwalk, CA

#159 Oct 5, 2013
Bill raises some interesting questions in his latest flyer.

"Should the proposed new Homes fit the natural rolling contours of the beautiful Montebello Hills?"

The question should ANY PROJECT fit the natural rolling contours of the Hills.?

One reason the City needs a Hillside Development Ordinance
Take a look at Los Gatos

Fist consideration is that the Montebello Anticline and Montebello Fault run along the crest of the Hills.
Those that want a fancy two way view for their home or restaurant are out of luck- forget it.

Second- where are the water tanks to support ANY PROJECT going to go.
They must be ABOVE the project- Pumped water is not fire safe
The water tanks must be away from the fault too.
Which places any building pads say a hundred feet below the crest.
trash talk

Woodland Hills, CA

#160 Nov 7, 2013
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/business/201...

Southern California cities face challenges trying to fill empty retail space

excerpts

LOS ANGELES >> Few remnants of the nation’s recession have been as painful as the big-box stores that were left vacant by companies that downsized or went out of business.

Many Southland cities say they are no longer grappling with as many empty stores, but a new wave of big-box vacancies is about to hit.

Andrews said property owners have learned to become flexible when leasing or selling large, vacant spaces.

“It can sometimes present a challenge for property owners to bring in a similar tenant,” he said.“If it was a supermarket, you might see it divided into two spaces, and the city is open to that. It really becomes what the individual property owner or ownership group wants to do with the space. A lot of times the vacant buildings were primary or secondary anchors for a center.”

“It’s not surprising to see some of these spaces remain vacant for a period of time,” Andrews said.“In a perfect world we would like to see all of the shopping centers totally occupied, but the retail business is a challenging one these days.”

That challenge was clearly reflected in some of the mergers and downsizing announcements that took place earlier this year.

“When big stores like that are vacant they don’t generate any tax revenue,” he said.
“We like to see them re-tenanted.”

Bottom Line
re-populate the City of Montebello Community Development Department
Truth Squad

Woodland Hills, CA

#161 Nov 10, 2013
Knight Owl

Time to map the faults in the Montebello Hills

Better info about earthquake risks an absolute must for California: Thomas Elias The Pasadena Star-News

Posted: 11/04/13,

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/opinion/20131...

Anyone who has seen the epicenter of a major earthquake within days of its hitting knows that California’s legal and scientific priorities have lately been seriously skewed.

Now put these recent events together: First, the state Legislature passes and Gov. Jerry Brown signs a new law to require development of a comprehensive statewide earthquake early warning system. Estimated initial cost will be $80 million.

Next comes a report detailing how the state’s effort to map all its significant earthquake faults has slowed almost to a stop. This began just after the 1971 Sylmar temblor, which destroyed a veterans hospital, among other things. That quake occurred on a fault no one previously knew existed and for 20 years mapping was a priority, with 534 maps published detailing active faults.

But since 1991, reports the Los Angeles Times, just 23 more maps have been drawn, none between 2004 and 2011 because of budget cuts. About 300 more faults must be mapped.

Then word arrives that a multi-campus team of University of California scientists funded by the National Science Foundation has identified about 1,500 of the most apparently quake-vulnerable buildings in Los Angeles, using public records and a walking survey. Trouble is, the academics won’t give their list to the mayor so he can start doing something about it.

Since they can’t be sure all buildings on their list are really at risk, the scientists fear they could face lawsuits from building owners if they finger structures that are actually sound — something only an on-site assessment can determine.

The question arising from these three almost simultaneous autumn developments: How do you create a comprehensive warning system if you don’t know where all the faults lie? And how do you warn the people most at risk if you don’t know what buildings they’re in?

The warning system legislative sponsor, Democratic state Sen. Alex Padilla of Los Angeles, insists that while mapping precise locations of all faults is “very important,” it’s still not crucial to early warnings.“Once energy starts to emanate from the epicenter, waves go out,” the MIT mechanical engineering graduate says.“Energy moves faster than the actual shaking, so depending on how far you are from the epicenter, you might get between 15 and 60 seconds warning, as they do in Japan. That can be crucial if you’re a surgeon in an operation or a train engineer or in a car going over a bridge.”

Padilla agrees that fixing buildings to cut casualties is critical. The first step in getting information needed to do that must be to immunize the scientists who have pinpointed dangerous buildings. Nothing should be withheld for fear of lawsuits.

So it’s necessary to free seismologists and structural engineers from the danger of lawsuits. That can be done with special acts of the Legislature and Congress if earthquake safety is a true priority.
Knight Owl

Woodland Hills, CA

#163 Nov 11, 2013
This could happen in Montebello Hills
PLAN NOW

Millennium Hollywood Towers Are Postponed

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2013/11/mi...

A spokesman for the developer says, further, that the developer is not digging trenches -- as announced in August -- to determine the precise location of the Hollywood Fault rupture known to run near, and perhaps beneath, the proposed twin skyscrapers site.

In California, it is illegal to construct buildings for human occupancy on top of, or next to, an earthquake fault. The Alquist-Priolo Earthquake Zoning Act was signed in 1972, after the destructive 1971 San Fernando earthquake, to prevent catastrophic loss of life.

The two lawsuits against Millennium could take months -- or years -- to resolve. After that, Millennium would presumably hire a geologist to do seismic testing -- and after that, seek a building permit.

Longtime Hollywood resident and well-known City Hall activist John Walsh says:

"The last thing Millennium wants to do is trenching. Everybody knows when they trench, they're going to find an earthquake fault.

I can tell you when they start trenching,[attorney] Silverstein and the rest of the people whose names are on the lawsuit will have the best trenching experts on the planet watching over their shoulder to make sure they don't pull dirty tricks on trenching."

The Los Angeles City Council rushed through approval of the 39-story and 35-story skyscrapers in July amidst significant opposition.

In addition, Hollywood resident George Abrahams has filed a complaint with the City Ethics Commission against interim general manager of the Department of Building and Safety Raymond Chan, for alleged conflict of interest, money-laundering and other violations.

Abrahams says in the complaint he is concerned about the integrity of the department's review of earthquake safety issues surrounding the Millennium project.

A preview of coming attractions?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montebello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Jack or Vanessa the Mayor?? 4 hr No more 10
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Chosen Traveler 35,810
Maribel B. Speaks at the City of Montebello Cou... 5 hr No more 1
News More 5 hr Joseph DeDominicis 1
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 6 hr Champion 11,208
News Brush fire near Montebello fully contained Tue HunMayCud watching 1
Delgado’s costing Montebello to lose $300,000.0... Apr 21 mtb KYD 21

Montebello Jobs

Personal Finance

Montebello Mortgages