general plan for montebello

Posted in the Montebello Forum

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#1 Aug 6, 2013
Where is the general plan that is mentioned from residents at the council meetings over and over again. I recall there were suggestions to recruit committees to assist with this plan.
My pet peeve is that nothing is every resolved.(so it seems)
Everything is up in the air at Montebello. This general plan has been discussed over and over. Where is the info from council or admin regarding the planning and committees for this GENERAL PLAN.
I have not heard about any updates, when they plan to begin working on this plan or what the status is.
I have mentioned before, keep asking questions and ask to have concerns put on the agenda. If the issue or subject has not been resolved or completed, then continue to keep items on the agenda and discuss the status at every meeting.
Comments are made from community and residents about certain issues that were discussed months ago. But you never really hear what steps are taking place. You just hear people repeating themselves.
There seems to be no follow-thru in this city.
There needs to be less conversation and more productivity. You hear so much about what can be done and what would be nice to see.
unknown

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Aug 6, 2013
LEAD BY EXAMPLE wrote:
Where is the general plan that is mentioned from residents at the council meetings over and over again. I recall there were suggestions to recruit committees to assist with this plan.
My pet peeve is that nothing is every resolved.(so it seems)
Everything is up in the air at Montebello. This general plan has been discussed over and over. Where is the info from council or admin regarding the planning and committees for this GENERAL PLAN.
I have not heard about any updates, when they plan to begin working on this plan or what the status is.
I have mentioned before, keep asking questions and ask to have concerns put on the agenda. If the issue or subject has not been resolved or completed, then continue to keep items on the agenda and discuss the status at every meeting.
Comments are made from community and residents about certain issues that were discussed months ago. But you never really hear what steps are taking place. You just hear people repeating themselves.
There seems to be no follow-thru in this city.
There needs to be less conversation and more productivity. You hear so much about what can be done and what would be nice to see.
I wonder what the general plan would (eventually) include.
trash talk

Ventura, CA

#3 Aug 6, 2013
Montebello had just figured out a way to have the redevelopment agency fund the new general plan when Jerry axed the CRA's
That's what I heard
So how to fund?
For what it's worth Theolona says Rosemead did an excellent job on their general plan-
budget figures should be available.
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#4 Aug 6, 2013
unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder what the general plan would (eventually) include.
This should be considered one of the many priorities for City of Montebello.
A general plan would be just the right tool to have at this point in time. Everything up in the air. Speakers and council have a wishful thinking kinda view. Put the city goals in writing and follow through. Simple as that!!! Don't allow anyone else to go up to speak on this item and ask " Where is the general plan" Are you serious!! Let's walk the talk council and admin...
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#5 Aug 6, 2013
Where is the general plan?? This has been a topic for years, correct? And after so much time and meetings passing, we still have the same quest. WOW!!

Are you sure this is the right group of people to get the job done?

When do they anticipate get started?

How long does it take to get this planning started on paper?

If it takes this long to get a plan started, how can residents be assured that we are Moving forward. Words mean nothing at this point and time!

Anybody know where the general plan is????
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#6 Aug 6, 2013
trash talk wrote:
Montebello had just figured out a way to have the redevelopment agency fund the new general plan when Jerry axed the CRA's
That's what I heard
So how to fund?
For what it's worth Theolona says Rosemead did an excellent job on their general plan-
budget figures should be available.
Budget figures should always be avail.
Crazy

La Mesa, CA

#7 Aug 6, 2013
General plan? You all must be kidding. In Montebello? The majority of that council can barely spell their names let alone set priorities for the city.
Wonder Why

United States

#8 Aug 7, 2013
LEAD BY EXAMPLE wrote:
Where is the general plan?? This has been a topic for years, correct? And after so much time and meetings passing, we still have the same quest. WOW!!
Are you sure this is the right group of people to get the job done?
When do they anticipate get started?
How long does it take to get this planning started on paper?
If it takes this long to get a plan started, how can residents be assured that we are Moving forward. Words mean nothing at this point and time!
Anybody know where the general plan is????
Around 2001 the city did start work on a general plan. They were slowly going forward until the would-be developer of the Montebello Hills showed up. Somehow the city was convinced to put the general plan aside and, instead, to work on a "specific plan" for the Montebello Hills. This seems to have happened because of pressure from city council members who have since left or been voted off the council. Then, because of pressure from new city council members, the would-be developer was allowed to essentially write the "specific plan" in a way that would make the most money for the developer without regard for all sorts of environmental and city fiscal issues.

However these "new" city council members overreached in so many ways that they, in turn, were voted out of office, in two cases after turbulent recall efforts. By then their unwise schemes and decisions had almost bankrupted the city. The city is just now reaching a point where long term planning can take place.

Theolona Ranger

Ventura, CA

#9 Aug 7, 2013
I have been asked to comment on the General Plan and Rosemead's experience.
First there was a public scoping meeting then a public draft was prepared with comments.
During this process it was discovered that the City Engineer had not been following the Alquist Priolo Earthquake fault zoning act or the seismic requirements for the California building code. The City geologist was a subsidiary of the city engineer.
A citizens lawsuit ensued stopping construction on 5 projects.
The City hired outside consulting engineering geologists and geotechnical engineers and did a thorough analysis resulting in the maps found in the new code.
The City engineer was replaced and bore the costs of the suit.

Montebello has similar challenges.
The Whittier Fault (one of the sources of the "Whittier" Earthquake)runs through the dam at an unknown location.
The City's Beverly blvd bridge project specifically considered the seismic hazard of this fault and the underlying Puente Hills Thrust fault.
The Puente Hills Thrust caused the Hills to rise several inches.
The City's water system is especially vulnerable and planning is needed to harden it for emergencies.
The hills contain additional faults but no data has been provided in the developers EIR.
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#10 Aug 7, 2013
Theolona Ranger wrote:
I have been asked to comment on the General Plan and Rosemead's experience.
First there was a public scoping meeting then a public draft was prepared with comments.
During this process it was discovered that the City Engineer had not been following the Alquist Priolo Earthquake fault zoning act or the seismic requirements for the California building code. The City geologist was a subsidiary of the city engineer.
A citizens lawsuit ensued stopping construction on 5 projects.
The City hired outside consulting engineering geologists and geotechnical engineers and did a thorough analysis resulting in the maps found in the new code.
The City engineer was replaced and bore the costs of the suit.
Montebello has similar challenges.
How much of this info has been brought up at the Montebello council meetings??
Is the city following the Alquist Priolo Earthquake fault zoning act? Does anybody know?
The Whittier Fault (one of the sources of the "Whittier" Earthquake)runs through the dam at an unknown location.
The City's Beverly blvd bridge project specifically considered the seismic hazard of this fault and the underlying Puente Hills Thrust fault.
The Puente Hills Thrust caused the Hills to rise several inches.
The City's water system is especially vulnerable and planning is needed to harden it for emergencies.
The hills contain additional faults but no data has been provided in the developers EIR.
Thank you for sharing this info! Have to admit, this truly raises concern with the hills project. Has this info been brought up at the meetings? Anybody know?
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#11 Aug 7, 2013
Has it really been 10 years since the last general plan?? I believe I have heard this ongoing issue for the past 2 years and still no be update.

Has the city begin work on the General Plan? Can anybody answer?

Is it true the hills project will begin once the new council is named??
Crazy

Montebello, CA

#12 Aug 7, 2013
Read Now what's blog on other post but copied here. Expect bulldozers in the hills by late 2014 to avoid election problems for Cortez, her cronies, and Hadjinian

Tom Calderon is a concern given his interests in reclaiming the assembly district. Christina Garcia barely beat him in the race and the Calderons feel they own that seat. Mind you, Christina Cortez is tied to her but her loyalties are only skin deep if the right "monetary" opportunity (via the Calderons) comes her way. State assembly runs every two years making them vulnerable. Calderons have no problem running against democrats. There is a deal in the works after the election to close the deal on the hills. Council will show that city finances are still stagnant and that some bigger actions need to be taken to revitalize an aging city. Even with the Calderons problems just how many politicians ever go to jail? Uh, very few.
Trash Talk

Ventura, CA

#13 Aug 7, 2013
The current much amended and patched General Plan is more like 30 years old and way out of date.
It allows "end runs" on proper planning.
The "specific plan for the hills is such an "end run".
Montebello, as opposed to both LA City and LA County and many other cities has NO Hillside development guidelines (code.

There were comments on the old specific plan and the old EIR and at public meetings.
There are over 300 KNOWN wells in the hills for which core samples must be available and the hills have been seismic imaged.
The developer included NO subsurface data and flat denies that there are any faults in the hills.
Gimme a break, it takes faults to trap oil, duh.
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#14 Aug 7, 2013
Trash Talk wrote:
The current much amended and patched General Plan is more like 30 years old and way out of date.
Montebello, as opposed to both LA City and LA County and many other cities has NO Hillside development guidelines (code.
There were comments on the old specific plan and the old EIR and at public meetings.
There are over 300 KNOWN wells in the hills for which core samples must be available and the hills have been seismic imaged.
The developer included NO subsurface data and flat denies that there are any faults in the hills.
Maybe the news needs to get involved. There may be more truth to what info they can collect. It saddens me that people will actually put lives at risk on these fields at any cost.

TRASH TALK,
So does the residents know that the hills have seismic imaged and as far as subsurface data and the core sample, does the developer have proof that none of this exist from an outside analyst???

These is such a serious issue. Who would truly put there family here and will all this info be avail to all potential buyers at risk. I think that people this...
Wow, So the general plan is being avoided until perhaps the elections and maybe they are buying time so that they can use the current general plan that may NOT have many restrictions. Is that my understand TRASH TALK
Why can't the residents do more to stop this. Or can they???
Trash Talk

Ventura, CA

#15 Aug 7, 2013
re-read post 8
but wait!
It's worse
not only did the gang of three push the Hills specific plan to the front burner the stopped work on the general plan.
They rushed through a quick and dirty EIR and Specific plan but lucky for the people of Montebello Rosie Vasquez was defeated in November 2009 or even more bad things would have happened.
Montebello planning set back at least 5 years,
much of what was done is now obsolete and will have to be redone.
costs have gone up
Now planning staff is reduced and CRA money is gone.
Councils prior to November 2009 really hosed the people of Montebello, spent all the money available and mortgaged Montebello's future.
Condos in the hills will only make it worse
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#16 Aug 7, 2013
Trash Talk wrote:
TRASH TALK, Do you have proof of the seismic imaged and no subsurface data,if so why is that not being provided to residents as well. This is so concerning...
Trash Talk

Ventura, CA

#17 Aug 7, 2013
You can look at the developers hand crafted EIR
You can see a grading plan, some state landslide data, but their published data does not even go to the depth of the grading!
It needs to go down to the base of any faults and the depth of the wells.
Before wasting your time just get ready to read the New EIR when it comes out and the responses to comments.
Since this is may be considered a new EIR and not a Final version of the old EIR (aka FEIR) there may not be responses to comments.
The process essentially starts off with a clean sheet.
Several people have asked that all the comments on the previous EIR be published.
Put in a CPRA request at City hall and see how far you get :)
A MAJOR PROBLEM IS TO DETERMINE WHAT IS COMPLETLY LEFT OUT.
Perhaps someone will post a link to the Gas Company underground storage de-commissioning report which does discuss some major faulting in the hills.

AS you can easily observe PXP is redrilling the hills and moving well pads to a few new locations.
The redrilling is into optimized locations and is designed to extract maximum.
Prior to redrilling the hills were imaged to determine exactly where the best locations were as opposed to the previous study core samples and draw a geology substrate map method of showing strata.
Someone

Alhambra, CA

#18 Aug 7, 2013
Trash Talk wrote:
Perhaps someone will post a link to the Gas Company underground storage de-commissioning report which does discuss some major faulting in the hills.
Original docs not available in one spot. Found these instead:

SCG MGSF Decommissioning and Sale March 12, 2001
Application No. 00-04-031 4.6-7
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/Environment/info/mha/m...

p. 4.6-7

The Montebello Fault (Figure 4.6-3) trends east-northeast from Whittier Narrows Recreation Area and south of Montebello Town Center, across Montebello Blvd. south of Liberty Ave. Because this fault offsets Pleistocene San Pedro Formation (Qsp), the Montebello Fault is considered potentially active (ARCS/WEST, 1994). The fault apparently terminates its surface expression near the Bunker Hill Ave. and Iguala St. intersection and a few 100 ft northeast of the Monterey Park Lots (with projection between the Main Facility and East Site).

PXP 2003 Annual Report p.11
http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/iro...

In March 1997 we expanded our operations in the LA Basin by acquiring Chevron Texaco’s interest in the Montebello field, which included a 100% working interest (99.2% net revenue interest) in 55 producing oil wells and related facilities and ownership of approximately 480 acres of surface fee land. A2-D seismic line was completed in 2002 and in 2004 we expect to evaluate additional seismic and technical studies that may lead to additional seismic iniatives potentially including 3-D seismic or passive seismic data acquisition. The potential value of our real estate holdings at Montebello will be evaluated in what may be a multi-year process beginning in 2004.
Trash Talk

Ventura, CA

#19 Aug 8, 2013
I e-mailed theolona, perhaps she will comment later today.
I'm in SSG but I can comment on why it's important.
Rosemead has a State of California Mapped surface rupture called the Alhambra Wash fault. During the General Plan process it was recognized that that fault continues past the boundaries on the Alquist-priola map. Using the requirement (frequently "overlooked" that

"or based on other substantial evidence of a
known fault?"
The City's general plan takes the fault all the way to the NE City limits where it continues past the San Gabriel Mission (damaged in 1987) to San Marino and near to or to the Raymond Hill fault.
The fault trace runs through the Garvey street property formerly occupied by the Auto Auction. The effect is that any development on the auto auction site will require a fault study investigation and report. The nearby hotel project just north of the Burger King at San Gabriel and Garvey will have to include the increased seismic forces from this "near fault".
How does this affect Montebello?
County DPW engineers determined in the 60's and again in 1975 and then hired a consulting engineering firm to review their findings that bridges over the Rio Hondo should plan for a 7.5 on this fault. Montebello's new Beverly blvd. bridge is so designed as is Rosemead's new Garvey bridge. The Garvey bridge was "shovel ready" and had to be strengthened and the piles redesigned when the old engineering firm was confronted with reality.
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Alhambra, CA

#20 Aug 8, 2013
Trash Talk wrote:
I e-mailed theolona, perhaps she will comment later today.
I'm in SSG but I can comment on why it's important.
Rosemead has a State of California Mapped surface rupture called the Alhambra Wash fault. During the General Plan process it was recognized that that fault continues past the boundaries on the Alquist-priola map. Using the requirement (frequently "overlooked" that
"or based on other substantial evidence of a
known fault?"
The City's general plan takes the fault all the way to the NE City limits where it continues past the San Gabriel Mission (damaged in 1987) to San Marino and near to or to the Raymond Hill fault.
The fault trace runs through the Garvey street property formerly occupied by the Auto Auction. The effect is that any development on the auto auction site will require a fault study investigation and report. The nearby hotel project just north of the Burger King at San Gabriel and Garvey will have to include the increased seismic forces from this "near fault".
How does this affect Montebello?
County DPW engineers determined in the 60's and again in 1975 and then hired a consulting engineering firm to review their findings that bridges over the Rio Hondo should plan for a 7.5 on this fault. Montebello's new Beverly blvd. bridge is so designed as is Rosemead's new Garvey bridge. The Garvey bridge was "shovel ready" and had to be strengthened and the piles redesigned when the old engineering firm was confronted with reality.
WOW! This is disturbing information. Why are they still allowing the Montebello Hills to continue to plan for this project. IS CURRENT Council well informed of this info. This info needs to be sent to the residents or perhaps a town hall meeting should take place and info DISSEMENATED there to all Montebello resident before the election is held.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montebello Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will Molinari Be Next Mayor? 40 min Asian Dude 10
Snake Vanessa makes herself Mayor 43 min Asian Dude 2
Montebello CM back in the news 4 hr 42 yr North Mtb r... 25
CLOSED SESSION to Hire Interim City Manager 7 hr COPP 1
Acting City Manager 8 hr Insane 11
Is Kevin Gone? 11 hr Trash Talk 41
City Council Ignored the Law 12 hr Mtbl Resident 3

Montebello Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance