Review: Hawthorne Towers

Review: Hawthorne Towers

Posted in the Montclair Forum

Ran Dom

Clifton, NJ

#1 Aug 22, 2008
Apartment has pool, exercise room, on-site laundry, recycling, 24-doorman and parking. It is less than a block away from a DeCamp bus stop (goes straight to NYC Port Authority) and the area is super nice. Many elderly people live there but just as many professional 20-somethings. Cute & affordable.
Nami

New York, NY

#2 May 14, 2009
Hi - I'm curious about the Hawthorne Towers...I may be living there in July and am relatively new to Montclair as well. Any additional feedback would be great. How is the actual area (where the Towers are located), the management (any feedback), and is the price fair (monthly lease for $1400/month).

Thanks in advance.
From DC to NJ

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jun 25, 2009
Nami wrote:
Hi - I'm curious about the Hawthorne Towers...I may be living there in July and am relatively new to Montclair as well. Any additional feedback would be great. How is the actual area (where the Towers are located), the management (any feedback), and is the price fair (monthly lease for $1400/month).
Thanks in advance.
Hello,
I've been living here for a couple of months, the place is okay. The building is safe. Like the other person wrote, there is a pool and onsite laundry facility.
Native

North Bergen, NJ

#4 Sep 29, 2009
Montclair is overpoplulated (new mini City) and crime has risen. Probably still safer than NYC. Notice the 'For Sale' signs?
NJgirl

Hillsborough, NJ

#5 Jan 15, 2010
I need sum help... i will be moving in there soon. it seems very nice but im not fimiliar with the area
notHappy

Elmwood Park, NJ

#6 Apr 28, 2012
The building manager Mary is a very difficult person to deal with. If you complain to the manager about children playing in the hallway with soccer balls and hockey sticks (on a sunny day!) she does nothing about it. She also lies. We were flat out lied to about who are neighbors would be and parking spot availability. The pool is supposed to be open til 8 but closes around 5 or 6 regularly. Basically if you have a job and don't get home til later you will not be able to swim. Retirees and children run the place. not happy at all.
Jim

Montclair, NJ

#8 Jul 31, 2015
I'd stay away from this place....overpriced feminist toilet.
roz

Montclair, NJ

#9 Aug 17, 2015
i've lived here for 28 years. mary is lovely. the apartments are very quiet because the bldg is from the eisenhower era (well maintained over the years) and the walls are thick. mary takes care of problems, is honest, and bends over backwards to help people. you couldn't ask for a better person. everything is close by, bus to nyc, restaurants, center of town, ymca, museum, university, lots of lovely parks and gardens, great walking. as a town, montclair has an individualistic / artsy ambiance. the 24 hr door person service makes me feel safe and secure.
cat

Jersey City, NJ

#10 Dec 9, 2016
Nami wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Assuming the $1,400 is a one-bedroom that's a good price for Montclair these days. I lived there and miss. the Barbecues in the back. My only complaint about the pool is it shuts down between 7 and 8 o'clock at night and you do not have time after work to come home and take a swim. Ditto after weekend errands and when you complain to management they just say oh well the kids want to leave early meaning the Lifeguards. it is in a wonderful location 2 blocks to public transportation, used to be and hopefully will be again a supermarket and the maintenance crew is on top of everything. if it was not such a bad point in my life with my ex I would still be living there. I miss it and hope to return
cat

Jersey City, NJ

#11 Dec 9, 2016
Nami wrote:

Thanks in advance.
And I agree with other peoples' comments I am not happy with the management at all. They need fresh blood in there and I don't mean Mary's daughter! The only other complaint is these lazy idiots on the first floor where I lived couldn't seem to be able to separate garbage, cans and bottles and mixed paper recycling. I frequently helpend the building out by doing it myself
cat

Jersey City, NJ

#12 Dec 9, 2016
Ran Dom wrote:
Apartment has pool, exercise room, on-site laundry, recycling, 24-doorman and parking. It is less than a block away from a DeCamp bus stop (goes straight to NYC Port Authority) and the area is super nice. Many elderly people live there but just as many professional 20-somethings. Cute & affordable.
Actually the apartment is TWO blocks away from the Avenue. Also the"gym" when I lived there several yrs ago was bogus. Three of the few machines are broken all you can do is the freeweights.
cat

Jersey City, NJ

#13 Dec 9, 2016
roz wrote:
i've lived here for 28 years. mary is lovely. the apartments are very quiet because the bldg is from the eisenhower era (well maintained over the years) and the walls are thick. mary takes care of problems, is honest, and bends over backwards to help people. you couldn't ask for a better person. everything is close by, bus to nyc, restaurants, center of town, ymca, museum, university, lots of lovely parks and gardens, great walking. as a town, montclair has an individualistic / artsy ambiance. the 24 hr door person service makes me feel safe and secure.
Obviously due to your length of stay you are Mary's age group and probably friends with her. The maintenance people get things done right away it has nothing to do with her. And if she's so wonderful why couldn't management keep the pool open till the time it was supposed to be? I agree with the other comments management is difficult to deal with also there are too many children running around the halls. I agreed a pool that is slated to close at 8 o'clock should not be closed at five six seven o'clock and it should also be allowed swim at your own risk after 8 o'clock. I was looking forward to the gym but it was a joke. The doorman situation is wonderful. Despite the flaws I would move back there.
Pissed Off

Montclair, NJ

#14 Sep 30, 2017
notHappy wrote:
The building manager Mary is a very difficult person to deal with. If you complain to the manager about children playing in the hallway with soccer balls and hockey sticks (on a sunny day!) she does nothing about it. She also lies. We were flat out lied to about who are neighbors would be and parking spot availability. The pool is supposed to be open til 8 but closes around 5 or 6 regularly. Basically if you have a job and don't get home til later you will not be able to swim. Retirees and children run the place. not happy at all.
Much worse now. Mary is mean as cat shit and has had 2 people take her to court for harrassment.
She hates men and will not take a man's complaint seriously, but if a woman complains against you
she is all over you like flies on you know what. If you are a single young man I advise you to keep clear of here, there are better places to rent. This building has had a history of defending disturbed and even dangerous women.
Pissed Off

Montclair, NJ

#15 Sep 30, 2017
roz wrote:
Are you on drugs?
Jim

Montclair, NJ

#16 Sep 30, 2017
Jim wrote:
I also want to add that the air conditioning in this building STINKS. It cools but DOES NOT
de-humidify. This is bad for people with joint or health problems. You cannot put an A/C in the window. Forbidden.
Pissed Off

Montclair, NJ

#17 Oct 5, 2017
Pissed Off wrote:
<quoted text>

Much worse now. Mary is mean as cat shit and has had 2 people take her to court for harrassment.
She hates men and will not take a man's complaint seriously, but if a woman complains against you
she is all over you like flies on you know what. If you are a single young man I advise you to keep clear of here, there are better places to rent. This building has had a history of defending disturbed and even dangerous women.
If you are a single male in his older years the women try to harrass you out of the building my exaggerated or false accusations. I feel it necessary to warn you.
anyomous

Montclair, NJ

#18 Dec 10, 2017
Jim wrote:
This woman Mary deals with tenents (mostly male) in a very brutish and abusive way.
there is an anti-male bias here and I would advise single men, especially older men to bypass
this environment, you can do better in Montclair. The air in the summer is VERY inadaquate.
No de-humidifacation and can cause health problems in older people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montclair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Car Recovered in Newark after Carjacking at Liv... (Feb '12) Sat Pugs 3
News Sexual assault alleged in Montclair HS restroom Sat Pugs 3
Racism in West Orange Sat Pugs 2
Mary is crazy (Oct '15) May 16 Amuns 3
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) May 8 doG mnaDed lyoH i... 72,083
News Attorney-Turned-Educator To Head Up Redwood Ele... May 6 Soon 2
Connie Francis (Jan '13) May 5 Jim 3

Montclair Jobs

Personal Finance

Montclair Mortgages