Mercer schools may close under proposed 10-year Educational Facilities Plan

Jun 19, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Consolidating some of Mercer County's elementary schools is a part of a long-range plan that could help shape the course of the county school system for the next 10 years.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jan 13, 2013
Slicker

Princeton, WV

#1 Aug 22, 2010
Hate to see the schools consolidate. I like the smaller schools.
steelcurtain

Beckley, WV

#2 Dec 25, 2010
i agree slicker,

Since: Jan 12

Mount Hope, WV

#3 Feb 2, 2012
Not surprised,expect Melrose and Sun Valley to be closed. They would come to Athens to make up for the students,the School Board needed to meet the size requirements to build the new junior high.

If parents don't want this to happen, they need to elect new school board mebers to support Lynn White. She fought against the board taking students from Athens, so the board could justify the need for the new school.

One board member, who needs to go, stated that the only reason they were going to build the school was that state money was available and no new school had been built in years in Mercer County. There was never any real need for it to be built.

Another guestion that needs answering is why does our Superintendent need a car allowance (ask what she drives with this money)? Surely a cheaper car could be rented.
Will Frazier

Rupert, WV

#4 Feb 3, 2012
Well if they ever decide to consolidate Montcalm schools before my kids graduate they will be homeschooled! My kids already catch the bus at 6:30am and school doesnt take up until 8. Thats bad enough, my kids wont be shipped all over the county.

“Life is like a broken record..”

Since: Sep 12

Except the voices keep changin

#5 Nov 23, 2012
Before ObAma's economics are through, every smaller school that now exists will be closed due to diminished student head count and the current administration's (Debra Acres) desire to streamline education in the same fashion as is being adopted nationally. The dollar is the bottom line, despite insane student travel time and all the mess that comes with Mega-Schools (too big a subject to discuss here).

The ONLY way total consolidation will be avoided is for the current administration to be voted out AND replaced by an administration that will desire to keep the remaining smaller schools open, even IF it calls for an increase in local taxes.

This subject doesn't get any more complicated than the above paragraphs. It's up to the parents to either act with responsibility ( and maybe even campaign a little?), or ignore it in the voting boothes.
him

Bluefield, WV

#6 Nov 23, 2012
i agree
Claude Biner

Bluefield, WV

#7 Nov 23, 2012
WV Mount U Near wrote:
Before ObAma's economics are through, every smaller school that now exists will be closed due to diminished student head count and the current administration's (Debra Acres) desire to streamline education in the same fashion as is being adopted nationally. The dollar is the bottom line, despite insane student travel time and all the mess that comes with Mega-Schools (too big a subject to discuss here).
The ONLY way total consolidation will be avoided is for the current administration to be voted out AND replaced by an administration that will desire to keep the remaining smaller schools open, even IF it calls for an increase in local taxes.
This subject doesn't get any more complicated than the above paragraphs. It's up to the parents to either act with responsibility ( and maybe even campaign a little?), or ignore it in the voting boothes.
I know, it's just terrible that Obama continually tries to spend more money on Education and cut the tax breaks on the billionaires. Doesn't Obama know that the Billionaires need that tax break?

You people are morons. If Romney had won then Education would have been cut a minimum of 40% and the savings would have went to more tax breaks for the billionaires. You have no valid complaints about Obama other than the color of his skin. Your children will be stupid because they come from a blithering idiot parent.

“Life is like a broken record..”

Since: Sep 12

Except the voices keep changin

#8 Dec 16, 2012
Claude Biner wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, it's just terrible that Obama continually tries to spend more money on Education and cut the tax breaks on the billionaires. Doesn't Obama know that the Billionaires need that tax break?
You people are morons. If Romney had won then Education would have been cut a minimum of 40% and the savings would have went to more tax breaks for the billionaires. You have no valid complaints about Obama other than the color of his skin. Your children will be stupid because they come from a blithering idiot parent.
Just calrifying because this particular poster is like many: his vision is shallow because he can't see past NBC news...

When I spoke of oBama being the cause of a diminished head-count when it comes to children in school, it's not because of where he wants to throw the remnants of his liberal financing in buying the teachers votes. I spoke of his war on coal which will ultimately close every major operation we have left in West Virginia. This in turn will cause people to move out of state to find work, thus the diminished head-count of children in school.

As for the rest of that remark? It doesn't even deserve audience.
the klansman

Bluefield, WV

#9 Jan 13, 2013
I think Montcalm should be closed. We have inferior teachers educating the future youth of this country, in a inferior environment. The only things that have came out of that school is a bunch of pill heads!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Montcalm Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 6 min Yes it is me 57,051
Drug Users In Montcalm 7 min how 14
love 4 hr Me too 59
Billy Osborne (Feb '13) 7 hr Holy Smokes 15
Still can whoop anybody at any place any time !!! Thu Big J 13
Annie tiller (Sep '10) Wed Jay d 19
Jimmy Riggs Wed ruby 14
•••
•••
•••

Montcalm Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000