Hendricks planners OK concrete-mixing...

Hendricks planners OK concrete-mixing plant

There are 36 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 9, 2008, titled Hendricks planners OK concrete-mixing plant. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Despite neighbors' objections about noise and environmental hazards, the Hendricks Area Plan Commission voted Tuesday for construction of a concrete mixing plant near Exit 59 of I-70. The planners' vote is a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Billy Bobs

United States

#1 Jan 9, 2008
Does this surprise ANYONE ? Is there ANY person in a position of authority in Hendricks County that gives a rats arse about the people that they represent ?
anon

Bridgeport, WV

#2 Jan 9, 2008
Morgan County is just afraid the increased traffic will bring increased minorities.
Boycott Clear Channel

Palatine, IL

#3 Jan 9, 2008
anon wrote:
Morgan County is just afraid the increased traffic will bring increased minorities.
They should be. Why ruin a nice area.
whatever

AOL

#4 Jan 9, 2008
anon wrote:
The increased traffic will not bring in as many minorities as the vinyl village with houses 10 feet apart that they built on 39 between Monrovia and I70. What an eye sore that is going to be in 5 years when those houses start falling down and half of them will be lost to foreclosure and sit vacant. That's when Monrovia should start to worry. Trust me it's going to happen. History repeats itself. I'd much rather live near a cement plant than 150 houses piled on top of each that all look the same.
Stephanie

AOL

#5 Jan 9, 2008
I'm just curious as to what increased traffic has to do with minorities? Are they the only ones who drive?
Andy

AOL

#6 Jan 9, 2008
It sounds like the people in Monrovia need to get a life or take up a hobby instead of worrying about what others do with their property. I'm not real familiar with County Line Road but I don't think Cecil lives near enough to the cement plant for it to affect him. I wonder how his neighbors liked it when he had over 100 cars hidden out on his property. What a mess that was to look at.
Brad

AOL

#7 Jan 9, 2008
Go get em Mark!
adsfs

United States

#8 Jan 9, 2008
anon wrote:
youre an !diot
lucy

United States

#9 Jan 9, 2008
Will there be jobs created ?
Jay

United States

#10 Jan 9, 2008
Representative government at its finest.

Don't want to live near a concrete plant ? Tough.

The whole commercial real estate market is dieing rapidly. That and $5 gas will kill off whatever dreams these suburban knobs flout.
Jay

United States

#11 Jan 9, 2008
So if I buy the house next to yours and open a combination lead smelting works and fish cannery, you're good with that ?

Liar.
Andy wrote:
It sounds like the people in Monrovia need to get a life or take up a hobby instead of worrying about what others do with their property. I'm not real familiar with County Line Road but I don't think Cecil lives near enough to the cement plant for it to affect him. I wonder how his neighbors liked it when he had over 100 cars hidden out on his property. What a mess that was to look at.
Andy

AOL

#12 Jan 9, 2008
Jay wrote:
So if I buy the house next to yours and open a combination lead smelting works and fish cannery, you're good with that ?
Liar.
<quoted text>
I don't care what you do on your own property even if you're my closest neighbor. I mind my own business....too bad others don't. In fact I would much rather smell a fish cannery or a hog farm rather than the trash you smell in the city. You bought the house, pay the taxes, mortgage, etc. so you should be allowed to do as you please. Now if you asked me to pay all those for you, then I would have a say in what you do but until then ROCK ON!!!! People need to mind their own business. The people who are selling the land for a concrete plant, bought that land and are free to sell it to whoever they want. What is it anyone's businesss?
James

Brownsburg, IN

#13 Jan 10, 2008
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what you do on your own property even if you're my closest neighbor. I mind my own business....too bad others don't. In fact I would much rather smell a fish cannery or a hog farm rather than the trash you smell in the city. You bought the house, pay the taxes, mortgage, etc. so you should be allowed to do as you please. Now if you asked me to pay all those for you, then I would have a say in what you do but until then ROCK ON!!!! People need to mind their own business. The people who are selling the land for a concrete plant, bought that land and are free to sell it to whoever they want. What is it anyone's businesss?
andy needs to wipe the sleep from his eyes! There are reasons such as pollution that factor in on trying to stop a concrete batch plant! Sanders said the area needs this because of future building. There are curently 10 operating concrete plants with in a twenty mile radius of exit 59!!!
Barb

AOL

#14 Jan 10, 2008
lucy wrote:
Will there be jobs created ?
Yes, Einstein, there will be jobs available. I've never known any business to run itself.
Linda

AOL

#15 Jan 10, 2008
It seems to me that if land is rezoned to commercial, a business opens and someone living close wants to sell their house, they might not get top dollar selling to an individual to be used as a residence due to the closeness of a business. BUT if another business comes around and wants to buy the homeowners property, they would give top dollar, far above appraisal value for the property. Are you people really that stupid that you can't see the writing on the wall? My hope is that all you people bitching about the soon to be concrete plant, sell your house before the concrete plant even opens and then in 5 years the new owners can sell for double what they paid for it. That's when you will have a reason to cry and I will sit back and laugh at your ignorance.
Milton

AOL

#16 Jan 10, 2008
You are right Linda. I personally knew someone a few years ago who had lived in farm country, no businesses within miles, they had less than one acre of ground appraised for $125,000. A developer came thru and started buying land around this person to build subdivisions and within a year, they sold out for almost $200,000. They also had the option of moving their house since the company was going to tear it down anyway. They opted to sell the house and the buyer moved it rather than them move it themselves. They sold the house for another $40,000. They came out pretty good and didn't have to live in the middle of the subdivision. That was their choice.
And for you James, why do you care about something that is 10 miles from you? I doubt you will be sprinkled with concrete dust and I darn sure know your property value will not decrease. Why are you arguing with Andy? You have no idea what you're talking about. Another case of people meddling in other's business. Where I come from, people don't take kindly to nosey neighbors, if you know what I mean. I'm sure Andy doesn't have sleep in his eyes.....he's been up all night protecting his Mayberry. Somebody needs to because they sound pretty dumb.

Since: Jan 08

Collierville, TN

#17 Jan 10, 2008
Linda, this land is not being rezoned commercial. A commercial business ( hotel, restaurant, car dealership...) would be welcomed but a (cement plant, junk yard, asphalt plant, waste water treatment facility..) are the types of businesses that are zoned "Major Industrial". This developer wants to rezone 175+ acres to Major Industrial and the only information the developer is willing to give is that a cement ready mix plant will be developed on the site which will take approx. 15 acres. What do you think will go on the other 160+ acres? This is not about property values but it is about pollution control, safety and quality of life.
Linda wrote:
It seems to me that if land is rezoned to commercial, a business opens and someone living close wants to sell their house, they might not get top dollar selling to an individual to be used as a residence due to the closeness of a business. BUT if another business comes around and wants to buy the homeowners property, they would give top dollar, far above appraisal value for the property. Are you people really that stupid that you can't see the writing on the wall? My hope is that all you people bitching about the soon to be concrete plant, sell your house before the concrete plant even opens and then in 5 years the new owners can sell for double what they paid for it. That's when you will have a reason to cry and I will sit back and laugh at your ignorance.
Linda

AOL

#18 Jan 10, 2008
Nelson1 wrote:
Linda, this land is not being rezoned commercial. A commercial business ( hotel, restaurant, car dealership...) would be welcomed but a (cement plant, junk yard, asphalt plant, waste water treatment facility..) are the types of businesses that are zoned "Major Industrial". This developer wants to rezone 175+ acres to Major Industrial and the only information the developer is willing to give is that a cement ready mix plant will be developed on the site which will take approx. 15 acres. What do you think will go on the other 160+ acres? This is not about property values but it is about pollution control, safety and quality of life.
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right. I was calling commercial zoning anything other than residential or agricultural. I have found out some additional information since posting this morning. There are only 6 houses within a quarter mile radius of the future cement plant. One man just died so his house is probably vacant. One house is vacant pending it being rented. One family just moved in across the street from the future cement plant. Three of the houses are owned by the people selling out for the cement plant and one of them is not selling their house but is planning to stay there and live beside it. I'm not sure about the other 2 that sold out if they are selling their houses and moving or just selling their land. What I can't understand is why people are getting their panties in a wad over something that doesn't concern them, it will in no way affect any of these people who are complaining. I saw the petition with the names opposing this and 90% of them lived 10 miles or farther away from this project. You would be surprised. It seems to me there is one family that should be worried about this and that's the new family that just moved in across the street from it. I bet they had no idea what they were walking into.
Jen

Brownsburg, IN

#19 Jan 10, 2008
Linda, You have no clue what you are talking about!! They want to zone it major industrial. Major industry is nothing close to commerical This does concern the people who live near this purposed concrete plant. some live 1/4 mile from the site. These people live on the Morgan County side and are in Monroiva's buffer zone. the proposed plant is in Hendricks County. They already have a concrete plant in Plainfield and guess what??? They want to get rid of it because of the mess it creates, and nothing has grown in that area. This propose site will be 2 mile from the town of Monrovia. These people don't even get to vote out the people making these decisions they live on the wrong side. As for propery value you really are clueless do you think these people went in not knowing what was going on. They had a broker comply a study about these kind of business going in near thier homes. Thier propery values are going to decrease 30%. This company is not going to buy thier property later on. Morgan county continency plan is zoned Residentual and Ag. Monrovia will not change thier properties to major industry. Hendricks county not even concern about the traffic this type of business will generate. This will be a 24 hour operation, 20 trucks an hour not including the trucks bringing in material.
lucy

United States

#20 Jan 10, 2008
Barb wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Einstein, there will be jobs available. I've never known any business to run itself.
thanks snot face, i didnt know if this company already had employees

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monrovia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
toa Jun 1 courious 3
Dustin Vanhook (Jul '15) Mar '16 Dustinvanhook 2
Nicepak (Dec '14) Feb '16 HHM 2
What do locals think of Grey Bros. (Sep '15) Feb '16 HHM 2
Sheridans auto. WARNING ! Jan '16 Looking out 1
Spring Lake (Feb '11) Jan '16 Look 4
News When The KKK Was Mainstream (Mar '15) Jun '15 Go Blue Forever 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monrovia Mortgages