Lawmakers examine surrogate births

Lawmakers examine surrogate births

There are 9 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 14, 2007, titled Lawmakers examine surrogate births. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A Senate committee today backed legislation to make it a crime in Indiana to receive anything of value for arranging surrogate births.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

“Hardcore Libertarian”

Since: Dec 06

Madison, IN

#1 Feb 14, 2007
These lawmakers are in it to tick everyone off? Another dumb and unneeded law. If a person wants to compensate someone for doing a good deed for them then so what? The jerk at Subway even demands a tip. Having a child and risking your life doesn't disserve any compensation? Sounds stupid to me.
terycarl

United States

#2 Feb 14, 2007
why...when we elect people to the legislature, it is not so they can control our lives....I can think of a zillion things more important that they should be working on.....sad
Petty issues

United States

#3 Feb 14, 2007
Bloodsuckers......here they go again. Its all about power and money.
Lance

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 15, 2007
Sen. Miller, who's a nurse, is just trying to protect the existing health care system.

It's akin to the law realtors passed last year to "protect Hoosiers" by requiring real estate agents to provide certain services ... the only Hoosiers the law was intended to protect were Hoosier real estate agents ... protect them from competition.
Shirley Zager

Bloomingdale, IL

#5 Feb 15, 2007
This is a kneejerk proposal
with only one purpose: to
try to put attorney Steve Litz out of the surrogacy business. However, its main effect would be to force infertile couples out of the state for legal services relating to a surrogate arrangement. A better approach
would be to enact new legislation
based on recommendations by
the National Conference of
Commissioners on Uniform State
Laws (NCCUSL)which provide a
framework for surrogacy
agreements and sets down
guidelines for arrangements.We
oppose this legislation and
urge sensible lawmakers to
reject it.
Shirley Zager
Organization of Parents Through Surrogacy
www.opts.com
Shirley Zager

Bloomingdale, IL

#6 Feb 15, 2007
This is a kneejerk proposal
with only one purpose: to
try to put attorney Steve Litz out of the surrogacy business. However, its main effect would be to force infertile couples out of the state for legal services relating to a surrogate arrangement. A better approach
would be to enact new legislation
based on recommendations by
the National Conference of
Commissioners on Uniform State
Laws (NCCUSL)which provide a
framework for surrogacy
agreements and sets down
guidelines for arrangements.We
oppose this legislation and
urge sensible lawmakers to
reject it.
Shirley Zager
Organization of Parents Through Surrogacy
Melissa S

Twin Falls, ID

#7 Mar 15, 2007
This is all crazy! I made a couple VERY happy through SMI (Steve Litz) back in 2003 and I would do it again. Goverment is just mad that this money is something "they" can't get their hands on. I think comp for a surrogate is NEEDED for she is not only taking almost a year out of her life but also taking a big toll on her body to help couples become families! The surrogate has to take time off work for contracts, inseminations, Dr. appointments, the birth of the child, and anything else such as bed rest. Then she has expenses that would not be fair for the surrogate to pay such as when she has to travel, such as child care for 3+ days 24 hours a day and so much more. I think they can all stick it and stop making something that is GOOD look so bad!

:( SHAME ON THEM!:(

Melissa S
majessie

Ann Arbor, MI

#8 Mar 16, 2007
wow !is surrogacy really worth all this trouble?
Shirley Zager

Naperville, IL

#9 Mar 22, 2007
Melissa S wrote:
This is all crazy! I made a couple VERY happy through SMI (Steve Litz) back in 2003 and I would do it again. Goverment is just mad that this money is something "they" can't get their hands on. I think comp for a surrogate is NEEDED for she is not only taking almost a year out of her life but also taking a big toll on her body to help couples become families! The surrogate has to take time off work for contracts, inseminations, Dr. appointments, the birth of the child, and anything else such as bed rest. Then she has expenses that would not be fair for the surrogate to pay such as when she has to travel, such as child care for 3+ days 24 hours a day and so much more. I think they can all stick it and stop making something that is GOOD look so bad!
:( SHAME ON THEM!:(
Melissa S
Melissa: Please let your representative in the
House (not Senate, who already passed this
bill, unfortunately) that you oppose it.
I hope you get a response.
Shirley Zager

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monrovia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dustin Vanhook (Jul '15) Thu Camby trash 4
News When The KKK Was Mainstream (Mar '15) Jun '17 Evelyn 17
Camby village Jun '17 Nobody 3
Do you know these people? May '17 Curious 1
Anyone know the owner of Accutek Radar Imaging ... (Apr '10) May '17 Christina Pavey 6
News Police, Fire a " April 10 Apr '17 scarboroughB 1
Sherry Barnes Feb '17 Ron 4

Monrovia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monrovia Mortgages