Broadlea School Of Goshen

Posted in the Monroe Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
George CCHS 65

Ellenville, NY

#1 Oct 2, 2009
My aunt worked at a school called Broadlea during the 1960s. Can anyone give me any information about the old Broadlea school? I found the location today off Knoell Rd and Broadlea Rd. It is now Migrant Head Start facility.
M Cam

Hollis, NY

#2 Oct 14, 2009
Broadlea was a Catholic Boarding High School run by the Blauvelt Dominican Sisters in Goshen NY. i believed it closed in 1971 The actual name of the School was the Academy of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament. If your local Library has the internet you should be able to find a great article by Sister Marietta OP about the history of the school through Hertiage Quest database. Yes it is partially used as a nursery for the children of migrant workers but in addition
Broadlea today is being used for many wonderful different socially good purposes.
George CCHS 65

Ellenville, NY

#3 Oct 15, 2009
M Cam wrote:
Broadlea was a Catholic Boarding High School run by the Blauvelt Dominican Sisters in Goshen NY. i believed it closed in 1971 The actual name of the School was the Academy of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament. If your local Library has the internet you should be able to find a great article by Sister Marietta OP about the history of the school through Hertiage Quest database. Yes it is partially used as a nursery for the children of migrant workers but in addition
Broadlea today is being used for many wonderful different socially good purposes.
Thank you for the information and leads for more information.
M Cam

Hollis, NY

#4 Oct 15, 2009
I saw a winter picture of a snow covered Broadlea, Academy of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament on the Flickr web site today. It said the school opened in 1927 and closed in 1971. the photo shows the originial fieldstone school building, Marion Hall to the side and the main building which housed the chapel, the dining room, the red library on the first floor the sophomores lived upstairs. There were also day hops. The sisters also ran an all girl's boarding summer camp on the grounds for many years. The camp buildings no longer exist.
George CCHS 65

Ellenville, NY

#5 Oct 26, 2009
I saw the Flickr photo but I have not been able to access the site recommended concerning a history of school. Thanks for the info
M Cam wrote:
I saw a winter picture of a snow covered Broadlea, Academy of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament on the Flickr web site today. It said the school opened in 1927 and closed in 1971. the photo shows the originial fieldstone school building, Marion Hall to the side and the main building which housed the chapel, the dining room, the red library on the first floor the sophomores lived upstairs. There were also day hops. The sisters also ran an all girl's boarding summer camp on the grounds for many years. The camp buildings no longer exist.
pol

Willingboro, NJ

#6 Nov 24, 2009
no
Dorothy Gless

Franklin, NC

#7 Mar 4, 2010
I was sorry to learn the school has been closed. I graduated in 1955 and am in touch with quite a few of my friends from then. It was a wonderful experience.
George CCHS 65

Wurtsboro, NY

#8 Mar 5, 2010
Can you give me an idea what went on at this school, what was taught and did nuns operated the school. I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of environment my aunt worked in. I'm not sure when she stated working there but her name was Rose (Roselyn).
Dorothy Gless wrote:
I was sorry to learn the school has been closed. I graduated in 1955 and am in touch with quite a few of my friends from then. It was a wonderful experience.
M Cam

Hollis, NY

#10 Apr 29, 2010
Dorothy Gless wrote:
There is now a Facebook Fan PAGE entitled "Broadlea, Goshen, NY" . It has photos of the school . Hope you'll visit the page and then join as a fan of the page.
M Cam
Carol Tibbotts Call

Shorewood, IL

#11 May 16, 2010
M Cam wrote:
I went to camp there a few summers in the mid sixties...Sr. Marietta was a close friend to my Grandmother and an incredible woman....so many years and events in the meantime...It was a beautiful place....
Eileen Dillon

Collegeville, PA

#12 Jul 21, 2010
Dorothy Gless wrote:
Graduated in 1956. Do remember you and our great times we had.
George CCHS 65

New Windsor, NY

#13 Jul 29, 2010
Does anyone have any photos of the staff or building they would be willing to share?
GMU Hokie

Culpeper, VA

#14 Jul 29, 2010
Here is a link to a photo of Broadlea.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GMbnbz-tqa0/SuicqA9...

If you are unable to access it, go to www.opblauvelt.org .

Click on News and Events.

Click on the Blog.

Click on Memories.

The Broadlea photo was posted October 28, 2009.

You may also direct any questions to the Archivist for the Sisters. I believe the current archivist is Judith Campbell, but I could be wrong.
M Cam

Hollis, NY

#15 Aug 19, 2010
George CCHS 65 wrote:
Does anyone have any photos of the staff or building they would be willing to share?
Go to the Broadlea, Goshen, NY and there are quite a few photos of the building and the grounds.
M Cam

Hollis, NY

#16 Aug 19, 2010
The Broadlea Goshen,New York page is on Facebook
ems

Montvale, NJ

#17 Sep 10, 2010
George CCHS 65 wrote:
Can you give me an idea what went on at this school, what was taught and did nuns operated the school. I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of environment my aunt worked in. I'm not sure when she stated working there but her name was Rose (Roselyn).
<quoted text>
George - I went to Broadlea when I was a little girl. My sister and I lived nearby and we went as day campers. It was fantastic and a very wonderful memory of my childhood. We did arts and crafts, outdoor activities and I learned how to swim there. The counselors and nuns were all very nice. We use to celebrate Christmas in July. Great memories!!!
George CCHS 65

New Windsor, NY

#18 Sep 11, 2010
"The Facebook page is great. Thanks for the tip. I have posted a photo of my Aunt Rose there. If anyone recognized her let me know please.
Mike J

Albany, NY

#19 Oct 22, 2010
I visted Marion Hall at the Broadlea school last week. It is currently leased to the State of NY which runs a day habilitation program for disabled individuals. The grounds are quite beautiful. There is also housing for migrant farm workers and some other socail services on the campus.
chillin

Welch, WV

#20 Oct 31, 2010
M Cam wrote:
The Broadlea Goshen,New York page is on Facebook
?
Pat Morgan

Dayton, TN

#21 Jul 14, 2011
Hi...I went to Camp Broadlea from 1963 until 1967. I started as a camper and ended up a Counselor. I remember the Green & Gold Teams....Christmas In July....the Shows we put on for the parents & guests both in front of the Stone Building and then the water show in the Pool. I remember the Head Counselor for many years Beryl Herdt? A few other names: Mary Callaghan, Vicki Attard...Any info from anyone out there that was part of this era....lets chat...I also attended the High School and graduated in 1967...
Carol Tibbotts Call wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to camp there a few summers in the mid sixties...Sr. Marietta was a close friend to my Grandmother and an incredible woman....so many years and events in the meantime...It was a beautiful place....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Town of Chester Police Sun Johnnymongo 4
Mountain Lodge Park in Monroe (Jun '09) Oct 16 rjwind25 46
Seeking Vendors for Indoor Farmer's & Handmaker... Oct 14 The Churnery 1
Burke Academy Oct 14 SeekingTradition 1
The new town complex: Is it necessary? Oct 14 Anonymous 1
Mama Rose thompson Hovick (Gypsy Rose Lee) site... (May '08) Oct 5 George CCHS 1965 49
Woman faces jail time in dog abuse case (Apr '07) Sep 30 Chestermom 10

Monroe News Video

Monroe Dating
Find my Match

Monroe Jobs

Monroe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monroe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monroe

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]