Top Monroe GOP Lawmaker accused of ca...

Top Monroe GOP Lawmaker accused of calling colleague a "retard"

There are 79 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Jul 29, 2009, titled Top Monroe GOP Lawmaker accused of calling colleague a "retard". In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

News 10NBC has video tape of the most recent Monroe County Legislature meeting. This is what is heard on the tape.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jay

Covina, CA

#77 Jul 30, 2009
Another fan. How much mental capacity do you have? You are the one sweating me so what does that say about you if I am developementally disabled. I says you are a loser.
Jessica Oliver

Hilton, NY

#78 Jul 30, 2009
Come on now wrote:
Unbelievable, I might stop checking this website if this type of useless reporting continues. Who cares if he said it or not. And you go through the lengths of getting a statement from the disibility rights people, useless news and a waste of time.
Obviously you are amoung the small minority of people who do not have a disabled loved one...and to say "you go through the lengths of getting a statement from the disability rights people" Do you have any idea what those "disability rights people" do for citizens of not only this county or state, but this country? How dare you try and speak in an educated tone of things you are obviously ignorant about! I pray to God you are never afflicted with ANY type of disability...ANYONE can have a stroke, be hit by a car, or have any other tragedy happen to them at any time that can render them with a debilitating disability. I hope "those people" at the disability rights place can help you when that happens. You are not invincible!!!
Opwah

Ontario, NY

#79 Jul 30, 2009
You need some flagellation BOY!
Jessica Oliver

Hilton, NY

#80 Jul 30, 2009
People wrote:
Everyone saying that this isn't a big deal has never had to deal with having a special needs child...You should all be ashamed of yourselves...
As for Quatro, he needs to man up and resign...
Well said!!!
Rochester native

Alden, NY

#81 Jul 30, 2009
Gary wrote:
...just not "cool" anymore.
Gary,

It was NEVER "cool" to hurl slurs at other people and demean them.
toni

Rochester, NY

#82 Jul 30, 2009
good for him!!
toni

Rochester, NY

#83 Jul 30, 2009
sooon the thought police will be here soon..no frreedom of speech allowed!! i say good for him he probably was acting like a retart!!
Hey

Raleigh, NC

#84 Jul 31, 2009
Ellen wrote:
So explain to me why we have the Office of Mental Retardation & Developmental Disabilities and NYSARC (New York State Association of Retarded Citizens).
Wouldn't it make more sense that someone was commenting on Mr. Quatro's vote rather than stating his vote and then commnenting on someone else.
"mental reatardation" is a diagnosis not a negative term such as "reatard".
Hey

Raleigh, NC

#85 Jul 31, 2009
so no one attacks me on my spelling I had a slip of the hand "mental retardation" and "retard".
Kim Van Patten Oswego NY

Remsen, NY

#86 Jul 31, 2009
I am appalled that this incident has happened and I am appalled by some of the comments I have read. This is very important and should never have happened. Individuals with disabilities are important just like you all are. They deserve an apology.
Unbelievable

Remsen, NY

#87 Jul 31, 2009
Mr. Quatro needs to apologize!
Jim Cronk

Syracuse, NY

#88 Jul 31, 2009
Come on now wrote:
Unbelievable, I might stop checking this website if this type of useless reporting continues. Who cares if he said it or not. And you go through the lengths of getting a statement from the disibility rights people, useless news and a waste of time.
So you would feel the same if used a racist emark? In your post you come across as disrespectful to others.
Jim Cronk

Syracuse, NY

#89 Jul 31, 2009
Amazing how disrespectful some of the posts are on here. I can understand saying some thing with out thinking that had no intent to hurt any one other than the individual your upset with. But for some of you people to say who cares, even after it's been pointed out to you that the remark carries the same disrespectful hurt and degradation as a racist remark. Thats sad!!!!!!!!1
Enough

Rochester, NY

#90 Jul 31, 2009
This is indeed news! This illustrates the polarization and lack of respect that we have in our representatives. The behavior is childish and unacceptable. I'm equally disappointed that readers are giving Quatro a pass. Democrat or Republican - times are too tough not to have constructive dialog between parties. Quatro's comment is only the tip of the iceberg in the lack of respect and ability to represent Monroe County. WE elected and voted for our representatives when Quatro called Eckel a 'retard' he was insulting everyone that voted him into office.
Bring back civil discourse, enough is enough!
Country

Geneva, NY

#91 Jul 31, 2009
Finally, one Glug calls another Glug a Glug, now that is news!!!
Jay

Covina, CA

#92 Jul 31, 2009
Although by now you all know that the fact he uttered the word while he was on the clock working for me has offended me, I am at least equally offended that he is blatantly and clearly lying about it and that he obviously has a problem with whistle bloweres. Probably because it is him and his party that stands to get indicted because of the whistle blowers.
John Billings

Cheraw, SC

#93 Jul 31, 2009
Typical thoughtless right wing.
Kathy Mahar

Remsen, NY

#94 Aug 6, 2009
I can't believe it. He will get his due someday. What comes around goes around. he is a disgrace to the human population. If it was a racial comment he would have been removed from his position by now.
Confused Private Citizen

Rochester, NY

#95 Aug 6, 2009
The man was wrong to make his comments. Period.
He used the word as slang, which is disparaging.

The word has other meanings, from the French retardare - to delay, protract (verb to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede - and the man that was to answer when called certainly was not speaking when called upon to answer and was slowing the procedings.

There is a problem in this country with how people twist the use of normal words into offensive statements. His comment was unsuitable use of language, but if you state someone is unsuitable for a job, then that is offensive.

I had a family member suffer the effects of a brain injury, and the effects of cruel people in public, pointing and snickering.

He is a public figure, so we all think he is horrible to say this. But how many people actually take the offensive person to task in their personal life? How many people say stupid things, and when called on it, do not even remember saying such a thing?

Offensive is in the ear of the beholder, which can, at times, make it from the mouth of most people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
full tilt boogie ballroom (Dec '09) Jun 3 Rockfanmic 28
woman beater (larry smith ) (Aug '10) May '17 Tanyadw 17
Looking for elderly Apr '17 Millstadt69 2
Ron Pierce anybody know this piece of sh*t (Jan '16) Apr '17 Chris 4
Dawn Duvall (Jan '09) Mar '17 nancy lynn 139
News Rabbi Kirt Schneider speaks at Ida church (Jul '08) Feb '17 Steven 61
Daniel Makarewicz (Sep '16) Jan '17 wade mills 2

Monroe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance