Is Sportsmanship a thing of the past ...

Is Sportsmanship a thing of the past at SMCC?

Posted in the Monroe Forum

HLP

Kalamazoo, MI

#1 Sep 23, 2006
Is Sportsmanship a thing of the past at SMCC? Winning with dignity is just as important as losing with dignity and respect. The object is not to humiliate the opposing team. When enthusiasim turns ugly, something needs to be done. The Michigan High School Athletic Assoc. has rules on sportsmanship, which apparently SMCC has failed to review. Word on the street is that Monroe St. Mary's Catholic Central will be looking for a new league to play in if the repeated demeaning,offending behavior, both verbally and physically by both student fans and athletes continues. It's a dirty little secret known to many that this type of behavior has been going on unchecked for years. Interference during games by CC fans and harrassment of visting school teams by fans before during, and after games which includes catcalls and booing the opposing teams during games. Repeated unsportmanlike behavior by coaches and failure of the athletic directors and school officials to reign in those responsible. The majority of the teams in the league are ready to send St. Marys on their way unless there is a public acknowlegement by SMCC of the problem and apologies to the affected schools and their teams with reassurance that steps will be taken that the behavior is not repeated in the future.
What are we teaching our children? Win at all costs? I hope not. Every school, parent, student athlete needs to read the excerpt below.
Concerned Parent
"Sportsmanship is not dead, and it's not out of style or out of fashion.
There is this notion that sportsmanship is only observing a list of don'ts. But sportsmanship is also observing a list of dos. It's seizing the opportunity to do something right.
Not only do good sports refrain from booing opponents and officials and from chanting,“Air ball, air ball” and “You, you, you” after fouls. Really good sports restrain others from doing those things.
Not only do good sports refuse to shout,“We're No. 1, we're No. 1” or sing that terrible song,“Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye.” Really good sports remind others that this is childish at best, and spiteful at worst.
Why is sportsmanship so important? Because sportsmanship is the starting point, if not the essence, of citizenship. And because sportsmanship is what we're supposed to teach and learn in educational athletics more than anything else. More than fitness, skills and strategies, we're to teach and learn sportsmanship. More than discipline, sacrifice, hard work and teamwork, we're to teach and learn sportsmanship. That's our product. Educational athletics without sportsmanship is like General Motors without cars: there would be no reason for being.
So let's practice like champions; let's play like champions; and let's act like champions, win or lose, in season or out.
Live with pure thoughts, kind words, good deeds, positive habits and uncompromising character, championship character; and you will be a champion in life, and you will be a champion for life. Make it your destiny to play like a champion, and lead others to do the same."
MHSAA Executive Director
John E."Jack
AngieC

Kalamazoo, MI

#2 Sep 23, 2006
I hope the majority of schools practice good sportsmanship, but with the poor role models of today's professional athletes, it's no wonder the concept might be falling by the wayside.
Harry Wolf

United States

#3 Oct 5, 2006
I personally was at the game, Jack. I saw nothing wrong with the conduct of the students at any event. The state should applaude the sportsmanship os the students at SMCC for there school spirit. Get the facts straight before accusations are made. The school took control of the situation and everything is better, but you go and demean our school and school spirit. If you were to go to any football games or basketball games of the larger high schools in Michigan the conduct of the SMCC students is heavenly compared to what goes on at the larger schools. im sorry that you got emails or what not but to call our school bad sports really upsets me. The senior class gets the entire school invloved in games and its a real family like atmosphere.

Yours truly,

Harry Wolf
Beowulf the sequel

United States

#4 Oct 5, 2006
Mr. John E. Jack. this is absolutley ridiculous. for one dont speak about things you dont know. I am appauled by this article that you have written especially by the fact that you think you know what you're talking about. When personal attacks are made towards your school in cheering, its hard not to respond. And then when respoding you get blamed for everything, that sounds fair. You and everyone else is blowing this situation waaaaay out of proportion. I admit that at one occasion the cheering did become unsportsman like, but that was only after there student section came over and sat behind us, the proceeded to bad mouth our school. Yes, the appropiate thing would have been not to respond. This is not an excuse and I do realize in this situation some things were wrong, but wrong on both parts; not just ours. But of course that isnt taken into consideration. You are way out of your right to talk about our school like that, and i am offended. To here u say a public apology needs to be made is the most absurd thing I've heard. Every school that we play before the game starts has a problem with us. That is not our fault that we are put on a pedestal to everyone else, and are prematurely judged. Everyone else needs to take a good look at themselves before they seek flaws in others.
X-treme

Rockwood, MI

#5 Oct 5, 2006
Mr. Jack, I don't even know where to start. If you're the Executive Director shouldn't you know the truth about whether or not SMCC will be looking for a new league, rather than going by "word on the street"? Also, I don't understand why other schools in the Huron League and around the state are overlooked by this article, and that SMCC is singled out. It seems extremely hypocritical of you to do so. These cheers such as "that terrible song" and "airball" have been chanted for years and years by all schools, and to bring it up when the students at SMCC do it is ridiculous and disrespectful in my opinion. Its like you could care less what any other school does, and to put SMCC up on a pedestal and expect more from the kids isn't fair. I doubt you were even at the game that you were referring to in your article, and when talking to parents from both sides, and the referee who was officiating the game, there was no mention of anything out of line bewteen the student sections. So don't talk about what you don't know about. I think we should be respected and praised for how good of a job the seniors and superfans do in getting the rest of the student body to cheer as loudly and positively as we do. Lastly, I would like to leave you with some thing to consider about what you said in your article.....a teacher once told me, "Our perceptions of others usually come from an accurate description of ourselves." Perhaps a self evaluation is needed rather that a bashing of others without an accurate knowledge of facts.
GrendalALIVEandw ell

Newport, MI

#6 Oct 5, 2006
SMCC not only beat Grosse Ile, who were also undefeated in the Huron League, Mr. Jack E John, but they did it with style. There cheering was positive, and they looked - real good - while doing it. So now, we are number one in the Huron League. We also have our sportsmanship, "Under Control" - The only reason parents from other schools would want to "send us on our way," would be because... Well, we are beating their kids, and no one likes to lose right? SMCC sure doesn't... and when it comes to girls basketball - We don't. So you can complain all you want about our sportsmanship. In fact, write some letters, even make some calls. It really wont make much of a difference, because in the end, and at the end of the game... We'll being singing on your court, or ours, after we end up with the W. sprfns 07---
chad

Brooklyn, MI

#7 Oct 5, 2006
Mr. Jack,
Please stop and think about your paragraph above, and how out of line it is. Kicking St Marys out of the leage, for " harrassment of visiting schools "?
It's part of the game sir and it has been for Y E A R S. Winning a big game, against a team thats at your house and chanting "nahh nahh nahh" is in NO WAY harrassment. Thats an absolute joke, like Xtreme stated above. Your suppose to be "MHSAA Executive Director".......Act like it- Were you even present at the game, or were you just going by "word on the street?"
jimmy dean

United States

#8 Oct 6, 2006
i dont care about all of this because im jimmy dean and all i do is make sausages and pancakes mmhmmmm pancakes.
wouldnt you love to no

United States

#9 Oct 6, 2006
Dear Mr. Jack,

It just so happens that those horrible superfans attended another game last night. OH NO!! what horrible people they are. There chants of lets go kestrels, Defense, and dribble dribble pass are jus horrid, i was in shock. I never thought i would hear such negative comments being made like those, i actually almost wanted to leave. You should kick SMCC out of the league this instant. HAHAHAHAH, I'm actually just kidding. Do you want to write another article about how the chearing going on that the game was so negative, and write it on a word of mouth basis. Well JACKY go ahead because last night i believe gross ile's student section was the one chearing.. "Air Ball" .. and yelling and screaming while our team was shooting free throws, and also saying "You cant do that" in reference to a foul. Yes I do believe i said it right, Gross ile's student section not SMCC. So wheres your article about how terrible there fans are? Or how sportmanship is a lost cause at Gross Ile? Or how Gross Ile should be kick out of the league? Really, you should write one, i mean its only fair; correct? Uplifting the kestrels like the superfans do is a wonderful experience, not only do we have fun but the team competes harder. Your original article is a JOKE -- JACK.. And im sorry but with all do respect sir,(SUPERFANS YOU NO THE REST)
MINBFC

Kalamazoo, MI

#10 Oct 7, 2006
Excuse me, but if you people actually read the original post, you would see that the it is only a quote on sportsmanship from "Mr. Jack". Just so you won't make the mistake in the future, the little signs " ", mean a quote is being used. I have read the original post and it is signed Concerned Parent. I believe you meant to say "Superfans you KNOW the rest")? See, that means I was quoting you.:>)
el capitan de sprfns

United States

#11 Oct 9, 2006
well excuse me, "concerned parent", but i really cant comprehend what games you have been attending. but if i recall our team, SMCC, is still undefeated in the Huron League. and yes they are coached by the absolutly amazing jon labeau, but i do feel that the come back victories they have won this year have something to do with the adrenaline that the crowd brings to the game, even if its 40 minutes away in Grosse Ile. so as i do understand you are a concerned parent, im not sure what you are concerned about, we havent violated any of the rules and the past 3 games our cheers have been nothing but positive, so yes we are held to a higher standard but i think we are holding that standard to the utmost..it is people like you who just cant stand to see SMCC on top and do everything possible to bring us down, however i hate to break it to you, but the fans are here to stay and the championship is ours for the taking, so do everything to try to stop us..but bad sportsmanship is not an issue at our school, the only issue is that we still are not loud enough.--have a good day, and find another school to write about.. yours truly
HLP

Kalamazoo, MI

#12 Oct 10, 2006
Good to see that after SMCC students got thrown out of Jefferson High School by the principal for violating the sportsmanship rules 3 weeks ago, that something is finally being done. You must be so proud. You have a nice day too.
anonymous

United States

#13 Oct 11, 2006
If you actually WENT to the games where there was unsportsmanship you would understand that it goes two ways. SMCC may be guilty of unsportsmanship but other schools also need to take some blame. Maybe if schools like Jefferson and Airport didn't START the negativity, SMCC wouldn't retaliate. Maybe next time you should listen to both sides of the story before you decide to kick someone out of a league.
anonymous

United States

#14 Oct 12, 2006
The game was 2 to 3 weeks ago. It's done. It's over. The SMCC students are cheering POSITIVELY and WILL CONTINUE like they HAVE BEEN DOING. People need to get over themselves. SMCC is not the only school that had cheered negatively, have you looked at any of the other high schools in the state of Michigan? Yes, that is what I thought. I personally was at the game. Yes, some of the cheers were not apporiate but SMCC was not the only ones. But to post an article about the game is unhuman. What do you have the right to do this? Were you even at the game Jack? And to any one who reads this, let's go kestrels!
Tom Marino

United States

#15 Oct 14, 2006
SMCC football RULES!!!!!! huron league champs...Smcc kestrels basketball has 3 huron league titles about to be 4.. just becuase we are in a lower division and still beat class B schools no one should be getting jealous.. AND JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE 400 KIDS COMPARED TO 1500 AND WE ARE LOUDER CHEERING "POSSISTIVELY" MR. JACK THERES NO NEED TO GET MAD.. back to back huron league champs and back to back to back to?? you finish the rest
Dee_class of 2003

Dayton, OH

#16 Apr 25, 2007
I'm dismayed that some people choose to make poor choices that result in CC's name being dragged in the mud like so. I think STUDENTS who practice poor sportsmanship ought to be reprimanded severely by both the school and the league. Their conduct is a shabby reflection of the school ideals and the community they were raised in.
However, to fault the school in general is a little bit unfair... this entire post appauled me, as I've been to a number of games this year for various sporting events where I didn't see poor sportsmanship from SMCC. I think a single event (or set of events) associated with a single group of students, or a sport, ought not to be broadened to the entire school and all associated with it.
Truth

Fenton, MI

#17 Aug 4, 2007
HLP wrote:
Is Sportsmanship a thing of the past at SMCC? Winning with dignity is just as important as losing with dignity and respect. The object is not to humiliate the opposing team. When enthusiasim turns ugly, something needs to be done. The Michigan High School Athletic Assoc. has rules on sportsmanship, which apparently SMCC has failed to review. Word on the street is that Monroe St. Mary's Catholic Central will be looking for a new league to play in if the repeated demeaning,offending behavior, both verbally and physically by both student fans and athletes continues. It's a dirty little secret known to many that this type of behavior has been going on unchecked for years. Interference during games by CC fans and harrassment of visting school teams by fans before during, and after games which includes catcalls and booing the opposing teams during games. Repeated unsportmanlike behavior by coaches and failure of the athletic directors and school officials to reign in those responsible. The majority of the teams in the league are ready to send St. Marys on their way unless there is a public acknowlegement by SMCC of the problem and apologies to the affected schools and their teams with reassurance that steps will be taken that the behavior is not repeated in the future.
What are we teaching our children? Win at all costs? I hope not. Every school, parent, student athlete needs to read the excerpt below.
Concerned Parent
"Sportsmanship is not dead, and it's not out of style or out of fashion.
There is this notion that sportsmanship is only observing a list of don'ts. But sportsmanship is also observing a list of dos. It's seizing the opportunity to do something right.
Not only do good sports refrain from booing opponents and officials and from chanting,“Air ball, air ball” and “You, you, you” after fouls. Really good sports restrain others from doing those things.
Not only do good sports refuse to shout,“We're No. 1, we're No. 1” or sing that terrible song,“Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye.” Really good sports remind others that this is childish at best, and spiteful at worst.
Why is sportsmanship so important? Because sportsmanship is the starting point, if not the essence, of citizenship. And because sportsmanship is what we're supposed to teach and learn in educational athletics more than anything else. More than fitness, skills and strategies, we're to teach and learn sportsmanship. More than discipline, sacrifice, hard work and teamwork, we're to teach and learn sportsmanship. That's our product. Educational athletics without sportsmanship is like General Motors without cars: there would be no reason for being.
So let's practice like champions; let's play like champions; and let's act like champions, win or lose, in season or out.
Live with pure thoughts, kind words, good deeds, positive habits and uncompromising character, championship character; and you will be a champion in life, and you will be a champion for life. Make it your destiny to play like a champion, and lead others to do the same."
MHSAA Executive Director
John E."Jack
I remember our team visiting CC in 2005 and the fans threw items at our band and cheerleaders. I see things haven't changed. Too bad.
Senior

Lakeland, MI

#18 Jul 22, 2010
I would appreciate it if you would stop writing false accusations against my school. I've been apart of SMCC for 3 years now. I am proud to be
a senior, and a kestrel. I assure you that there are no other schools with such team spirit. I always participate in my school events, especially
sports. I am proud of my classmates and teammates
for such good sportsmanship. I love my school, and
I am proud to be apart of it. My teammates go other there and work hard. We the students sit in the stands and cheer them on! Sportmanship is not "a thing of a past", it's right here in the present!
why does it matter

Bolingbrook, IL

#19 Jul 22, 2010
ummm....if you call THAT bad sportsmanship...then you must obviously go to many sporting events or...scratch that...do anything in life...seriously if chanting for your team and being extremely proud at how theyre playing makes bad sportsmanship then almost every school in the nation is like that. Tell me ONE...just one sporting event where people aren't cheering like that...hell...my teachers cheer like that...that is a pathetic article and a waste of my time to read it...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dawn Duvall (Jan '09) Mar 6 nancy lynn 139
News Rabbi Kirt Schneider speaks at Ida church (Jul '08) Feb '17 Steven 61
Daniel Makarewicz (Sep '16) Jan '17 wade mills 2
kristy monroe full gospel (Apr '13) Jan '17 Sybel 14
News Poll: Clinton gaining ground with young voters Oct '16 Republicans are F... 37
News Fall fishing action in Michigan ready to heat u... Oct '16 Vic 1
Ron Pierce anybody know this piece of sh*t (Jan '16) Oct '16 Ron Pierce 3

Monroe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monroe Mortgages