rep rodney alexander's vote

Posted in the Monroe Forum

very disappointed

Ball, LA

#1 Jul 27, 2013
On July 24, 2013 our Representatives had the opportunity to vote FOR Rep. Amash's bill to stop the National Security Agency's unconstitutionally collection of data on innocent American citizens. I wrote Rep. Rodney Alexander to vote for the protection of our liberties. He voted NO! He then sent correspondence to me. Here is his letter and my response. It is so long I have divided it into 2 parts.
PART !

Rep. Rodney Alexander responded to my request he vote for the Amash amendment after he had voted "NO" and my response to his comments.
Rep Alexander:
Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on Rep. Justin Amash’s amendment to the fiscal year 2014 defense appropriations bill that would severely limit the authority of the National Security Agency (NSA) to conduct surveillance on telephone records. I appreciate hearing your concerns on this issue.
Me:
Yes,, I realize the Amish amendment would severely limit the unconstitutional "authority" of the NSA to conduct surveillance on telephone records. That was the whole purpose of the amendment.

Rep. Alexander:
Initial reports indicated that the NSA has been collecting millions of phone records from Verizon Wireless customers. This action is allowed under a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) warrant that was filed in April of this year. According to the FISC order, Verizon Wireless was required, on an “ongoing, daily basis,” to give the NSA information on all phone calls that occurred within its system. Subsequently, it was revealed that through a program known as PRISM, the NSA has also been collecting information from other technology companies, such as Yahoo!, Google, and Microsoft. The goal of all of this is to identify communications between potential terrorist groups both at home and abroad

Me:
The action that you admit has been going on infringes on our 4th amendment rights. The 4th amendment guards against unreasonable search and seizure and requires probable cause for such actions. Yet, you know by the above reports that millions of private citizen rights have been violated. Our representatives , elected by the people , have sworn to uphold the constitution of the United States, haven't they? The Amash amendment was to limit the infringement on our rights to our constitutionally protected freedom to privacy.

Rep Alexander:
While I believe law enforcement and the intelligence community should have all the resources necessary to keep Americans safe, I also believe they should be held within the bounds of the Constitution.

Me:
Surely, you can see the NSA is way out of bounds of the Constitution, can't you?? That's why Amash introduced his legislation!

Rep. Alexander:
The extent of the data seized by NSA is troubling, and I support a full top-to-bottom investigation of these actions to ensure that the agency acted within the law and within the Constitution.

Me:
Your comments on the "troubling action" of NSA are past tense. What good will an expensive, non-productive, delaying tactic of a " full top-to-bottom investigation" do? While that so-called investigation is being done, more data will be illegally collected fon the citizens in your district and you did nothing to stop the on-going "troubling" seizure of data that the Amash bill would have stopped.

Rep Alexander:
However, I voted against Rep. Amash’s amendment because I felt that it was a hasty move that would go too far in removing important tools from the hands of people on the front lines of the war on terror
very disappointed

Ball, LA

#2 Jul 27, 2013
Part2
Me:
Representative Alexander, we need hasty action to STOP the eroding of our freedom of privacy . It has been said by many wise ones, that if we give up our freedom for a little security, we will end up with neither freedom nor security.

Rep Alexander:
This amendment was offered ignoring the successes of this program in keeping Americans safe. If it had passed, it would have emboldened America’s enemies and made our nation less secure, and it is for these reasons that the Heritage Foundation also came out against the amendment.

Me:
Collecting data on millions of citizens ,without probable cause does nothing for security. It further increases government control over those in your district that you were elected to serve. You voted to remove us further from the Constitution that you vowed to uphold. You were elected by the people of the congressional district you serve in Louisiana and not the Heritage Foundation , which by the way, has no good record of supporting the Constitution.

Rep Alexander:
Understanding public concern on this issue, the House overwhelmingly passed the Nugent/Pompeo amendment, which said that none of the funds in the defense appropriations bill may be used by the NSA to target a U.S. person or acquire and store the content of a US person’s communications, including phone calls and e-mails. I voted for this amendment because it struck the right balance by preventing the NSA from going beyond what law permits, while ensuring they retain the proper tools to be able to effectively combat
terrorism.

Me:
The people you were elected to serve back in Louisiana understand the Nugent/Pompeo amendment did nothing to change ANY activity of the NSA including the continued collecting of our phone records!! It is the same old tactic of the establishment to offer a counter amendment to give cover when a good, sound, liberty amendment that may pass is proposed. Can you explain what was in the Pompeo bill that was not already law?? I find nothing, myself. Your voting for that didn't help ONE THING.

Rep Alexander:
Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. Please know that I always take into consideration the concerns of those I represent, and I hope that you will continue to keep me informed of the issues that are important to you and your family

Me:
I'm very disappointed you chose to let our freedoms be further eroded and our Constitutional form of government be violated by not voting for the Amash amendment
very disapointed

Ball, LA

#3 Jul 29, 2013
The Defense Industry contributes to lawmakers' campaign funds. Those congress people who have been receiving the most from the Defense Industry over the last two years for their campaigns are the ones who voted NO to the Amash amendment to halt NSA's unconstitutional collection of data on American citizens.
Read this and see Alexander's receipts from one industrial complex that will benefit to allow NSA to continue their dirty deeds.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/07/mone ...

Rodney Alexander sold out the Constitution and America in favor of dollars in his pocket! What a disgrace. People we must vote him out!! He does not have our interest and welfare in his actions and voting. It's all about keeping himself at the public trough and centralizing more power in the government.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: LKQ Plunks Truck Parts & Equipment Jan 23 Leonard Cummings 1
Kent Gay Teen Meetup (Sep '13) Jan 20 slaveboy15 16
duck dynasty Jan 20 Lola 5
vac. Jan 19 smith 1
Charlottesville Mayor Norris Leaving Homeless S... (Mar '09) Jan 19 joe tomlin 68
The City of Monroe held it's annual Dr. Martin ... Jan 18 talking about crazy 3
why doesn’t the fbi investigate, arrest, prosec... Jan 17 mossy seaman 3
Monroe Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Monroe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:41 pm PST

ESPN 3:41PM
Saints owner Benson being sued by family
NBC Sports 8:52 PM
Report: Texans D-line coach Bill Kollar to join Gary Kubiak in Denver
NBC Sports 3:41 AM
Mickey Loomis: Saints letting Junior Galette case run its course before taking any action
NBC Sports 5:04 AM
Saints players shocked by team's ownership squabble
NBC Sports 7:42 AM
Jimmy Graham: Pro Bowl will help dictate if he needs surgery