Gun control debate heating up in stat...

Gun control debate heating up in statehouses

There are 2688 comments on the NBC29 story from Dec 21, 2012, titled Gun control debate heating up in statehouses. In it, NBC29 reports that:

By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Friday: President Barack Obama says his administration has received an outpouring of support for stricter gun laws following last week's elementary school massacre in Connecticut, telling respondents to an online... President Barack ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29.

Spocko

Oakland, CA

#1897 Jan 23, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
LOL ... it's a crock, there is probably a black helicopter over your house right now, quit while you're ahead!
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#1898 Jan 23, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
And what if the person who now own the rifle is NOT the original owner but legally purchased it from him???
No one has ever accused you of being the sharpest knife in the drawer - you can not sell it nor can you purchase it!

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#1899 Jan 23, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has ever accused you of being the sharpest knife in the drawer - you can not sell it nor can you purchase it!
Yeah....no infringement there. PFFFFT
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#1900 Jan 23, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah....no infringement there. PFFFFT
Okay Forrest, one more time: You can go to Las Vegas and shoot a fully automatic rifle at a shooting range to your hearts content. Some states let you buy one as long as you get the proper permit and keep it in locker at a designated shooting range. No one is infringing on anyone just trying to keep the public save from lunatics like you!!

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#1901 Jan 23, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay Forrest, one more time: You can go to Las Vegas and shoot a fully automatic rifle at a shooting range to your hearts content. Some states let you buy one as long as you get the proper permit and keep it in locker at a designated shooting range. No one is infringing on anyone just trying to keep the public save from lunatics like you!!
Let let let. I should not have to ask permission to own anything which is specifically called out in the Constitution as my right to own. Unfortunately, the govt has been allowed to over-step its pwer and infringe on that right.

1. It is not a state license that allows someone to own a fully automatic weapon. It is an extra $200 FEDERAL tax stamp and second background check.

2. If I were to purchase a full-auto firearm (they are currently out of my price range), I would NOT have to keep it at a designated shooting range. I could keep it at home and take it to any range that would let me shoot it.

3. The only people in public who are ever in any danger from me are the ones who would attempt to put me or my family in danger. Let criminals in public beware.

4. GFY

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#1902 Jan 23, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup...the DC vs Heller case was not secret.
Read it and weep;
I don't have to weep.

We have idiots like yourself who can't read and insist the second amendment gives fifteen year olds have a right to carry weapons and the second amendment has 27 words in it.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#1903 Jan 23, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
You simply are missing the point, Muskets is what they had so what else could they possibly be talking about -- it stands to reason! It does not mean that we must exclude everything that came after and it does not mean that the Gov't has no right to regulate highly sophisticated military type rifles in order to keep them where thy belong -- the military! the very first sentence of the Constitution places the burden on the Federal Government to "insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty" for the citizens of these United States. That sentence is the core of a document that has been amended many times since its original drafting to ensure that the government can effectively deliver on that first promise.
Fortunately, others, to include the Supreme Court are more knowledgable than you;

"...We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35–36 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding."

So by your thought process, the 1st Amendment would only protect verbal and the written word but only with the quill and parchment and a printing press...that "...is what they had so what else could they possibly be talking about -- it stands to reason!"

Turn in your cell phone...your I Touch...your I Pad...your laptop...your desktop...etc...anyother form of communication as it is no longer protected under the 1st Amedment.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#1904 Jan 23, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to weep.
We have idiots like yourself who can't read and insist the second amendment gives fifteen year olds have a right to carry weapons and the second amendment has 27 words in it.
Gee...another "frustrated control freak" lie...big surprise.

"We have idiots like yourself who can't read..."

So who was it that couldn't read and comprehend...?...oh yeah...that would be YOU.
downhill246

Delray Beach, FL

#1905 Jan 23, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wipe your chin, you are dripping on the floor again.
Who knows more about law, you or a Supreme Court Justice of the United States?
53,664 Posts? Wow, you certainly spend a lot of time on Topix message boards humiliating yourself.

In contrast, making the Guinness Book of World Records for 2626 BJs while barefooted is a feather in your knee pads and at least 2% better than last year. you also got honorable mention from NAMBLA for four years in a row. You must be proud but take your time and try not to talk with your mouth full. The earliest that would be is late March.

Location hidden

#1906 Jan 23, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately, others, to include the Supreme Court are more knowledgable than you;
Funny how the SCOTUS continues to uphold the majority of all gun regulations (thousands) in the USA.

Let's remember this when they uphold the required background checks on all gun sales coming within weeks.

Location hidden

#1907 Jan 23, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee...another "frustrated control freak" lie...big surprise.
Frustrated?

Gosh: NY passed an assault weapons ban, and there are six more states with similar bans in the works.

Frustrated?

Talk to me after they close the loophole that allows the gun gnutters to sell weapons they been selling since the background data base was put up.

I'm not the one who looks at Scalia's direct quote- that certainly some restrictions are going to be upheld- and pretending that nothing's changed.

I figure just about every state will have some restrictions being passed and the math is: every state is going to have at least one mass killing or gun gnutter running loose in a mall or a school or university by time the bills hit their legislators.

You are projecting BOY.
downhill246

Delray Beach, FL

#1908 Jan 23, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you can. An M16 or M16A2 is legal to own and purchase if registered under the National Firearms Act of 1934. This is because they were produced before 1986. Any fully auto weapon produced after that year can not be sold to a civilian. In addition to market price, ownership also requires registration and a $200 tax and any qualified adult can buy one, if he/she can afford it.
discordia

United States

#1909 Jan 23, 2013
sez you wrote:
People get murdered in a lot of ways but not as easily as pulling a trigger. All guns should be confiscated, banned and destroyed. It forces us to learn ways to get along.
Lockdown on a Va. campus right now, I'd rather be armed if the perp comes to my area than unarmed like the gun grabbers.

Who do you think will come out better?
discordia

United States

#1910 Jan 23, 2013
This idiotic fool with 50K posts is everywhere, what a no life loser.
downhill246

Delray Beach, FL

#1911 Jan 23, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how the SCOTUS continues to uphold the majority of all gun regulations (thousands) in the USA.
Let's remember this when they uphold the required background checks on all gun sales coming within weeks.
Let's see, the federal government now allows concealed carry in all federal parks and Florida allows concealed carry in all Florida parks, libraries, and government buildings. The assault on Florida's Stand your Ground law is going no place . How 's that working for you?

Texas: Senator Birdwell Introduces Senate Bill 182: Campus Personal Protection Act
This week, Senator Brian Birdwell (R-Granbury) and 13 co-authors filed Senate Bill 182, NRA-backed legislation allowing adult Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHLs) to protect themselves on the campuses of public colleges and universities in Texas.
discordia

United States

#1912 Jan 23, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
53,664 Posts? Wow, you certainly spend a lot of time on Topix message boards humiliating yourself.
In contrast, making the Guinness Book of World Records for 2626 BJs while barefooted is a feather in your knee pads and at least 2% better than last year. you also got honorable mention from NAMBLA for four years in a row. You must be proud but take your time and try not to talk with your mouth full. The earliest that would be is late March.
The silly old queen has mastered typing with someones member in his mouth, pretty clever.lol
discordia

United States

#1913 Jan 23, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... it's a crock, there is probably a black helicopter over your house right now, quit while you're ahead!
Come on namby pamby, which would you rather be?

Cowering under a bed or locked and loaded waiting for the killer?

Lockdown on a Va. campus right now, I'd rather be armed if the perp comes to my area than unarmed like the gun grabbers.

Who do you think will come out better?
discordia

United States

#1914 Jan 23, 2013
News for virginia campus on lockdown

WTVR

Virginia university reportedly on lockdown after reports of a gunman on campus
Fox News &#8206;- 7 minutes ago
Newspaper says two alerts were sent to students via text and email saying, Hunker Down. Gunman on campus and Lockdown continues
discordia

United States

#1915 Jan 23, 2013
I'll take my loaded weapon, thank you.
walt

Oneida, TN

#1916 Jan 23, 2013
What does a smart school do when they want to protect the students? They buy 14 Colt AR15 assault rifles and hire guards to carry them.

FONTANA, Calif.(AP)— The high-powered semiautomatic rifles recently shipped to school police in this Southern California city look like they belong on a battlefield rather than in a high school, but officials here say the weapons could help stop a massacre like the one that claimed the lives of 26 students and educators in Connecticut just weeks ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/fontana-calif-schools-h...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jan '16) Mon Nikki 54
News Her disease and a special friendship (Jun '08) Sep 16 Chsr 10
News Future of Oxford post office unclear (Nov '15) Sep 4 fhaynes 3
Seymour SWAT Trucks (Nov '15) Sep 4 why do they need ... 2
News Bridgeport incumbents battle for ballot spots Aug '16 James 1
Baseball Aug '16 CherylM 1
News Herbert Hanford Bottomley, 97, Passed Away (Mar '16) Mar '16 America Gentleman... 1

Monroe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monroe Mortgages