Gun control debate heating up in statehouses

Dec 21, 2012 Full story: NBC29 2,688

By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Friday: President Barack Obama says his administration has received an outpouring of support for stricter gun laws following last week's elementary school massacre in Connecticut, telling respondents to an online... President Barack ... (more)

Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2494 Feb 1, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie."
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Liberals on the SCOTUS in 1968 were against Gun Registration which was the purpose of Haynes vs United States and the ground rule against New York States new Assault Rifle ban which coming back to bite the modern liberals in the azz.

Lawsuit targets New York's post-Sandy Hook gun law

Under the law, the failure to register a gun is a class E felony. The suit claims that the provision violates the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, because it could force a gun owner who registers late to effectively admit to committing a crime.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 1968 ruled in Haynes v. United States that felons and others who are prohibited from possessing guns could not be forced to incriminate themselves through registration.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/30/us-...

all your trying to is justify the Failed SCOTUS liberal thinking that has failed US Society.

In Haynes v. U.S.(1968), a Miles Edward Haynes appealed his conviction for unlawful possession of an unregistered short-barreled shotgun. His argument was ingenious: since he was a convicted felon at the time he was arrested on the shotgun charge, he could not legally possess a firearm. Haynes further argued that for a convicted felon to register a gun, especially a short-barreled shotgun, was effectively an announcement to the government that he was breaking the law. If he did register it, as 26 U.S.C. sec.5841 required, he was incriminating himself; but if he did not register it, the government would punish him for possessing an unregistered firearm -- a violation of 26 U.S.C. sec.5851. Consequently, his Fifth Amendment protection against self- incrimination ("No person... shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself") was being violated -- he would be punished if he registered it, and punished if he did not register it. While the Court acknowledged that there were circumstances where a person might register such a weapon without having violated the prohibition on illegal possession or transfer, both the prosecution and the Court acknowledged such circumstances were "uncommon."

The Court concluded:

•We hold that a proper claim of the constitutional privilege against self-incrimination provides a full defense to prosecutions either for failure to register a firearm under sec.5841 or for possession of an unregistered firearm under sec.5851.

•If mandatory gun registration can't be used to punish ex-felons in possession of a firearm, what purpose does such a law serve? If mandatory gun registration can only be used to punish people that can legally possess a gun, why bother?

•The Fifth Amendment, Self-Incrimination, and Gun Registration

•What Im reading here is that any known felon would not have to register a weapon because its a violation of his 5th amendment. you figure out the rest for yourself.
The second kicker is that the new laws now protect the felon from registry and of course will have little to no effect on crime.

FELONS DONT HAVE TO REGISTER KIDS- YOU DO!

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politic...

Haynes Vs United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haynes_v._United...

Since: Nov 08

Corbin Ky.

#2495 Feb 1, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah FAUX News the reliable purvayor of lies, fabrication and innuendo! Putting guns into the hands of criminals? That honor goes to the NRA - hands down!!! The wingnuz clinging to their guns like a baby clinging to its woobie is reminiscent to the creationist nonsense! We know more about nature and its evolutionary continuum than ever before and we know it clearly and without a doubt, yet here are the wingnuz, knowing it better by regression like a bunch of degenerates! Next time you see a member of Congress pushing a pro-gun agenda, ask them why they feel the U.S. government needs to be overthrown. Ask them why they support terrorism. The Second Amendment has been voided by history and was never in place for any of the reasons the NRA, any senator or congressman has given as a reason for opposing sensible gun regulation since Reconstruction. Besides, the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with gun-control in a modern society!
Well since your daddy in chief doesn't want you looking at Fox News, here is the same story from another source. Now you claim that the NRA puts guns in the hands of criminals, thanks for showing just how brainwashed you really are.

"ATF's Milwaukee sting operation marred by mistakes, failures
But the effort to date has not snared any major dealers or taken down a gang. Instead, it resulted in a string of mistakes and failures, including an ATF military-style machine gun landing on the streets of Milwaukee and the agency having $35,000 in merchandise stolen from its store, a Journal Sentinel investigation has found."

"When the 10-month operation was shut down after the burglary, agents and Milwaukee police officers who participated in the sting cleared out the store but left behind a sensitive document that listed names, vehicles and phone numbers of undercover agents.

And the agency remains locked in a battle with the building's owner, who says he is owed about $15,000 because of utility bills, holes in the walls, broken doors and damage from an overflowing toilet."

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogrepo...

Did you catch this part? "ATF military-style machine gun landing on the streets of Milwaukee".

That would be a fully automatic machine gun now on the streets. This is an out of control government no matter what you say or how much you try to cover for it.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2496 Feb 1, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie."
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
So you worship Lenin, eh, Donglicker?

I can't say I'm not surprised!

PS: Gun registration has been around in the USA since 1938.

I think I hear them black UN hellycopters, Donglicker, you better finish him off and held for the bomb shelter!

Location hidden

#2497 Feb 1, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Liberals on the SCOTUS in 1968 were against Gun Registration which was the purpose of Haynes vs United States
Repeating the same lie a thousand times doesn't make it true.

Looks like you have around fifty more times to go, dear.

Haynes was a fifth amendment case.

"Haynes v. United States, 390 U.S. 85 (1968), was a United States Supreme Court decision interpreting the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution's ..."

First line on google.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2499 Feb 2, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me that gun gnutters keep insisting everyone who is sick and tired of the gun lovers killing some 32,000+ people are the only ones insisting gun bans.
AKA, the NRA sky is falling rant.
PS: I see your Alabama gun lover is entering day four.
Of course, you would insist he had a right to the weapons he has...
'The gunman ... was known around the neighborhood as a menacing figure who once beat a dog to death with a lead pipe, threatened to shoot children for setting foot on his property and patrolled his yard at night with a flashlight and a shotgun.'
He absolutely had the right to own the weapon. He used it illegally. Only an idiot would assume all gun owners would behave like that. Imagine if they did, you would be shot by now.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2500 Feb 2, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
If you live somewhere were you need an assault rifle to live safely – MOVE yemoron. Yes we know your type - the legend in his own mind :-/
My neighborhood is perfectly safe, we’ve not had a crime in years. The front gate to the community has been closed all night except to residents.

I don’t need an assault weapon to protect my home. I want my AR-15 to plink at the range. Break into my home at night I assure you the least of your worries is my AR-15. The Remington 870 will be a larger concern for you.

Legend in my mind? Not at all, just stating fact. But, I now have an image of you. You’re a little sissy liberal afraid of everyone with a gun. Must really such to be you.

Who is we? Do you believe anyone has given you permission to speak for them?

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2501 Feb 2, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
That honor goes to the NRA - hands down!!!
Why are you so afraid of the NRA? If you would spend a bit of time to learn about the organization you would quickly learn the truth.

The NRA-ILA is indeed a lobbying organization. Not unlike thousands of other lobbyists.

But, it’ll be interesting to see how many politicians are voted out of office if harsh gun control legislation is passed.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2502 Feb 2, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you worship Lenin, eh, Donglicker?
I can't say I'm not surprised!
PS: Gun registration has been around in the USA since 1938.
I think I hear them black UN hellycopters, Donglicker, you better finish him off and held for the bomb shelter!
You’re grossly misinformed. Title II weapons indeed must have a tax stamp.

I own over 100 firearms, NONE are registered with any government agency.

Quoting Lenin would be a form of worship? You make frequent phallic references. Does that mean you worship the dong?

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#2503 Feb 2, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Obama administration's Operation Fast and Furious caused more gun related deaths in North America(210) than the Luby Restaurant shooting(23), the VA Tech shooting (32),the Columbine HS shooting(13), the Gabby Gifford shooting(6),the Ft Hood shooting(13),the Westroads Mall shooting(9),the Korean Christian College shooting(7), the Aurora Theatre shooting(12),the Sikh Temple shooting(6)and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting(27)....COMBINED.
The last known death attributed to Operation Fast and Furious was the murder of a Mexican beauty queen in Nov, 2012. But we all known it is the Obama administration's gift that keeps on giving so stay tuned for future Fast and Furious obituaries.
You'll probably hear crickets chirping with this. It just doesn't seem to fit into the gun control talking points.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#2504 Feb 2, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
A gun lover walks into a public school with an assault weapon the NRA insists makes America a better place and turns twenty children into hamburger and you insist what we need are more assault weapons.
What a shame your grandchildren weren't there at Sandy Hook in that classroom so you could share the prospective of the parents and the grandparents whose children were there.
What a shame it is the gun lovers are all able to live with the "protection" that their tiny-dicked toys by to this country- to the tune of 32,000 people a year.
A gunman will not walk into the school the presidents kids attend. Do you want to debate why?
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#2505 Feb 2, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic. You choose to blame Republicans. You might want to review the vote
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_ca...
Congress rushed to pass legislation to strengthen security controls. On October 23, 2001, Republican Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner introduced H.R. 3162 incorporating provisions from a previously sponsored House bill and a Senate bill also introduced earlier in the month. The next day on October 24, 2001, the Act passed the House 357 to 66, with Democrats comprising the overwhelming portion of dissent. The following day on October 25, 2001, the Act passed the Senate by 98 to 1, with Russ Feingold the only opposition.

Viet Dinh has been called a "political pit bull" and "a foot soldier" for Attorney General John Ashcroft. But the 36-year-old author of the Patriot Act prefers to be called an "attendant of freedom."

In May 2001, the professor of law at Georgetown University was tapped by the Justice Department to work for two years as an assistant attorney general, working primarily on judicial nominations for the department. But three months later the World Trade Center towers collapsed, and Dinh was drafted to work on the USA Patriot Act, a bill that would give the government some of its most controversial surveillance powers. The bill, coupled with the government's subsequent treatment of immigrants and native-born citizens, prompted critics to charge the administration with overthrowing "800 years of democratic tradition."
Dinh worked with future Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff as associate special counsel to the Senate committee investigating President Bill Clinton’s Whitewater dealings. From there, just three years out of law school, he went to Georgetown, where he was teaching corporate and constitutional law when another president decided he wanted the tireless Dinh on his side.

In May 2001, Bush appointed Dinh to be an assistant attorney general — the highest government position a Vietnamese-American had held up to that point — and tasked him with overseeing the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Policy.

After 19 Muslim extremists hijacked four American commercial flights and altered the course of U.S. history, Dinh worked behind the scenes as the chief architect of the Patriot Act and a bevy of other laws and policies that have drawn either fire or applause, depending on one’s position on the political spectrum.

Did they not write the bill?

Introduce it?

Pass it?

Sign it?

It couldn't be their fault.

For claiming NOT to be a teabagger, you sure think like one.

Of course they're repackaged republicans anyway.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#2506 Feb 2, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m not a member of the Tea Party nor do I support the Tea Party. You seem to call anyone that disagrees with you a teabagger. Guys that perform teabagging such as you, aren’t they usually liberals?
We didn't mail the teabags.

We don't wear teabags.

YOU people do.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#2508 Feb 2, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
You truly are deluded.
The truth stings.

Oct 25, 2010

From the moment Obama entered office, right-wing conservatives embraced the posture of hell-bent opposition. Recall, in Jan. 2009, hate radio host Rush Limbaugh expressed his hope that Obama fails. One month later, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell proudly embraced Limbaugh at a conservative conference. The fringe rhetoric of far right activists had quickly become the de facto governing strategy of the Republican leadership, as they adopted a posture of obstructionism.

Believing that the Republican strategy of opposition has played to his political benefit, McConnell is pledging to do more of the same if Republicans win back the Senate. In an interview with the National Journal’s Major Garrett, McConnell candidly acknowledged that he feels his “single most important” job is to defeat President Obama in 2012:

We need to be honest with the public. This election is about them, not us. And we need to treat this election as the first step in retaking the government. We need to say to everyone on Election Day,“Those of you who helped make this a good day, you need to go out and help us finish the job.”

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president".

"Party before country", it's the teabagger way.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#2509 Feb 2, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Obama administration's Operation Fast and Furious caused more gun related deaths in North America(210) than the Luby Restaurant shooting(23), the VA Tech shooting (32),the Columbine HS shooting(13), the Gabby Gifford shooting(6),the Ft Hood shooting(13),the Westroads Mall shooting(9),the Korean Christian College shooting(7), the Aurora Theatre shooting(12),the Sikh Temple shooting(6)and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting(27)....COMBINED.
The last known death attributed to Operation Fast and Furious was the murder of a Mexican beauty queen in Nov, 2012. But we all known it is the Obama administration's gift that keeps on giving so stay tuned for future Fast and Furious obituaries.
How does the MSM reconcile the weapon ban with the WhiteHouse Fast&Furious Deception. The Attorney General should be given an opportunity to address these inconsistencies.
The UnitedNations may want to weigh in upon the international implications.
This could be the first assignment to the new Sec. of State.
just another guy

Denver, CO

#2510 Feb 2, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
A gun lover walks into a public school
If a gun owner walked into a school the school would be safer. What you keep talking about is a CRIMINAL walking into a school.

Stick to your gay fantasies. They are your forte. Of course you need to keep them to yourself.

Location hidden

#2511 Feb 2, 2013
just another guy wrote:
<quoted text>
If a gun owner walked into a school the school would be safer. What you keep talking about is a CRIMINAL walking into a school.
What I talked about was one of your fellow gun lovers who walked into a school using an NRA- sponsored assault weapon and using the large capacity magazines the NRA has fought to make available to other gun lovers: he turned those kids into hamburgers.

And he wasn't the first, the second, the third or the fourth, and he won't be the last.

And if you are going to whine when people fling your crap back into your face, buttercup, don't dish it out.

Wipe your chin, you are a mess.

Location hidden

#2512 Feb 2, 2013
just another guy wrote:
<quoted text>
If a gun owner walked into a school the school
Tell me about another one of your brave gun owners, JustGayGuy, who forced his way onto a school bus with a gun and tried to take a couple young boys with him.

Did he make the school bus any safer?

Location hidden

#2513 Feb 2, 2013
RayOne wrote:
<quoted text>How does the MSM reconcile the weapon ban with the WhiteHouse Fast&Furious Deception.
The same way the Bush White House reconciled with its Operation Wide Receiver Deception.

Gee, if we could only go back in time to before the election and you could tell us about the connection between the White House and F&F you know now...

Oh, that's right, you did and still America did not care.

Location hidden

#2514 Feb 2, 2013
Tray wrote:
A gunman will not walk into the school the presidents kids attend.
Why don't you give it a try and report back to us?
just another guy

Saint Louis, MO

#2515 Feb 2, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
What I talked about was one of your fellow gun lovers who walked into a school using an NRA- sponsored assault weapon and using the large capacity magazines the NRA has fought to make available to other gun lovers: he turned those kids into hamburgers.
And he wasn't the first, the second, the third or the fourth, and he won't be the last.
And if you are going to whine when people fling your crap back into your face, buttercup, don't dish it out.
Wipe your chin, you are a mess.
No, you were talking about a criminal committing a crime. You can never get a fact correct.

Flinging crap is all you got gay boy. You lie as naturally as breathing.You should be behind glass like the monkey in the zoo. He is at least closer to being human than you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 7 hr Here Is One 11,894
Bridgeport fires employee accused of swiping co... 12 hr Citizen44 5
Norwalk Ranks Below State Average For Safety In... 12 hr Robby Rob 2
FBI says "NO MURDERS" for NEWTOWN (2012) Sun Jenna 1
U.S. seeks $2.1 billion from Bank of America in... (Jan '14) Nov 22 dariusrickard 2
Trumbull cop pleads guilty to sexually assaulti... Nov 20 ms clinton 4
Sandy Hook shooting Nov 20 Wonderin 2

Winter Storm Warning for Fairfield County was issued at November 26 at 5:23AM EST

Monroe News Video

Monroe Dating
Find my Match

Monroe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monroe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monroe

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:30 pm PST

Bleacher Report 8:30PM