TRANSFIGURATION&ST.ANTHONYS supposed ...

TRANSFIGURATION&ST.ANTHONYS supposed merger

Posted in the Monongahela Forum

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
ROMAN CATHOLIC

AOL

#1 Dec 11, 2007
As a parishioner of ST.ANTHONYS I want to say there are many who will never agree to combine both churches.This is a travesty of justice if the diocese trys to do this.The whole reason why there is a ST.ANTHONYS church is many years ago the other Catholic church in monongahela did not want some minorities in there church such as the italians!So a new parish had to be put together and it was by the hard work of many immigrants who came to this country!VIVA SAINT ANTHONY
ROMAN CATHOLIC

AOL

#2 Dec 18, 2007
I think its time to form a group to fight this injustice.Catholics where are you?

“Speak out.”

Since: Sep 07

Monongahela, PA

#3 Dec 26, 2007
I honestly don't see a problem with it.
I used to go to Saint Anthony's, but my dad started going to church and his childhood church was Transfig. So we switched.
If there is a lack of priests or something, I don't see a problem. Yeah, I understand St. Anthony's was the work of immigrants and hard working people....but so were a lot of other things that have been shut down.
If we do merge, I'm sure that both churches will somehow be used.
ROMAN CATHOLIC

AOL

#4 Dec 26, 2007
There have been to many insults hurled at ST.ANTHONYS CHURCH MEMBERS to much abusive behaviour directed at certain ST ANTHONYS parishioners by certain members of Transfiguration.No absolutely not!Never

“Speak out.”

Since: Sep 07

Monongahela, PA

#5 Dec 26, 2007
Why are you always capitalizing SAINT ANTHONYS? I get it. But anyway, anyone that makes "abusive behavior" towards anyone obviously isn't too holy. In that case, I'd tell you to switch churches.
ROMAN CATHOLIC

AOL

#6 Dec 27, 2007
No merger never!
MON GIRL

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Feb 18, 2008
I am not originally from this area but I have to tell you it is very disheartening watching and hearing this so called competition between churches. I come originally from an area with 9 different Catholic Churches and nobody cared where you belong. I recently switched from Transfiguration to St. Anthony's I do like the congregation a lot better. My dealings when I moved down here with the people who are active at Transfiguration was very bad I was treated very badly. The only thing I can say is it is the people that make the church not the building. There are alot of bad apples at Transfiguration. The only thing I can say is that as a christian I know and understand that everything you do is seed in the ground. I hope the members of Transfiguration are ready for reaping the harvest. I hope they have a back hoe for they are going to need it. When that seed comes up it will be their church that will be closed.
moncity

AOL

#8 Feb 20, 2008
Amen MON GIRL!
MON GIRL

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Feb 20, 2008
Thank you Mon City! Also watch out for the religious organizations in this area. Especially the Columbiettes do not ever join them. Those ladies are heartless gutter snipes. I use to belong to that organization and there is nothing christian in the ladies whom are the officers, they are some of the people that volunteer at Transfiguration. They talk behind your back they even talk about Father George behind his back and he volunteers his time for that organization for free not to mention lets the Knights of Columbus and the Columbiettes use the church facilities for free. They are a bunch of miserable old hags.
moncity

AOL

#10 Feb 21, 2008
MON GIRL I could'nt agree with you more the same thing goes on with the knights at ST.Anthonys as well!
MON GIRL

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Feb 22, 2008
It is a great idea to give something back to your community. But these organizations turn it in to I instead of We, and they hold on to the money in their accounts like it is theirs. They should never have alot of money it should be going to help others in our communities, the churches and our only Catholic School that is left in Monongahela. Instead they get greedy with it. They clobbered me for suggesting giving $500 toward the gas bill at the church for the winter, can you imagine and that is their church where they hold their meetings.
moncity

AOL

#12 Feb 25, 2008
I'm not surprised one bit.
Stop The Hypocracy

United States

#13 Feb 26, 2008
What's the old sayings about casting stones and or the one about glass houses??? You all know them.
Reading all of the gossip and finger pointing in the messages above between Transfiguration and St Anthony's is terrible.
Both Parishes have good Christian members and both have people who need a lesson in good Christianity. Which religious group or organization doesn't have these challenges.
On a business side I understand the merger proposal but on a personal side I would hate to see it happen. With all of the back biting and finger pointing this union would be a disaster. That doesn't say alot about either Parish and the Christian way.
I choose to keep my stones on my person. I see no sense in being a hypocrate which is what most of the messages above are laced with. Remember, we live in a small area and most of the residents either personally or within their familes have skeletons in their closet. Yes even you !!!! Trust me folks they are not a secretive as you may think. Save the personal judgement people. Isn't that what the Roman Catholic Church teaches?
God Bless You All (Remember Him???????)
MON GIRL

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Feb 27, 2008
STOP THE HYPOCRACY!!
I am only speaking the truth from what I have endured trying to get involved in the community and make friends because I am new to the area. I have belonged to other organizations where I came from and I have never endured the problems that I have endured here.

As far as the Knight of Columbus and Columbiettes if you talk to the heads of this organization from New York they will tell you that the groups in Monongahela and Finleyville have given them their most problems in the organizations history.

When I got that information was when I woke up. I quit all involvement period. Whether if it is Transfiguration and I will not even try it at St Anthony's. I have to go to mass somewhere. My family members that are from here are telling me that the problem between these 2 churches have been going on since day 1.

All I know is that Transfiguration was the first Catholic Church in this area and they have the most bad seed planted. It is going to be interesting to watch them reap it, especially for the way they have treated me and others and poor Father George who takes the biggest beaten. Maybe that poor man will hit it lucky and be reassigned.

I am not throwing stones. I am going by what the bible says and what reality is. You reap what you sow whether it be good or bad. Good Luck Transfiguration!!!!!!!!!!
Stop The Hypocracy

United States

#15 Feb 27, 2008
Mon Girl, I am neither defending or condeming Transfig or St A's.

Unlike you I did grow up here and in all my years here I know many many people from both Parishes.

What I can tell you is that many of the ones throwing the stones are also the root of the issues. They portray goodness of heart but wear fox's clothing. Believe me I know first hand some of these people's actions and I also know what they say and portray. Very contradicting to say the least.

I am a member of Transfig (hey you go where your family started you going) and I'm also Italian. I do not attend mass regulary not because of the Parish as opposed to personal issues with the Catholic Religion as a whole. That aside I am sorry that you were treated poorly. That is no way for anyone to be treated especially from a place of worship.

You are correct one usually does reap what one sows and if you plant corn you get corn.

I did not think you were throwing stones. My response and comments were and are directed at all comments posted in general.

If you re-read the messages posted the discussion is about Catholic Parishes yet virtually nothing written is positive or Christian like. Sad stuff. Have a good day Mon Girl.
MON GIRL

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Feb 27, 2008
STOP THE HYPOCRACY,

I understand what you are saying and it is a shame. I just think that people need to take a better look at what they do to one another.

I do not know what is going to happen with these churches. I just wish that people would stop planting all of this seed.

What you do and how you act as a parishoner effects the whole church. If you get alot of bad apples in one place this is what happens. Once again it is not the building that makes the church, it is its parishoners.
STH

United States

#17 Feb 27, 2008
Mon Girl,

You are alright in my book. You are correct, it is the people of the`parish that make the parish just like a house is a house but the people make it a home.

Whatver happens regarding these parishes is out of our hands. The dioceses will make that determination. At that point everyone will have an option to deal with it and make it work should a merger take place (which I do not think will happen)or find their own Plan B.
wise up folks

United States

#18 Feb 27, 2008
Saint Anthony's, Transfiguration, the Methodist Church ect..........are all full of hypocrates and good people. That is the lay of the land. Always has been, always will be.

None is better than the other although those involved may believe otherwise.

Wise up people.
monchess

AOL

#19 Feb 27, 2008
The potential merger is wrong.
MON GIRL

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Feb 28, 2008
The only problem I have with the Merger is the bad apples from Transfiguration may consider coming to St. Anthony's. I hate to tell you people I maybe an Italian Catholic and a little bit biase. But I know that St Anthony's has more money and more property than Transfiguration. The diocese will keep open what is worth more and sell off the rest. VIVA St. Anthony's

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monongahela Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Garbage Jul 13 Paid my garbage bill 1
Western PA to be earthquake central from fracking Jul 3 Shaken 1
Former church members and lawyer disgrace them... (Jan '17) Jun '17 Robert Langdon 4
Ringgold Baseball Trip Jun '17 Wonder Woman 3
Did Bill Gibson ever play basketball for Dunora... Jun '17 nelson 1
Downtown Monongahela Jun '17 Tony 8
News Duquesne Incline Museum: The Best History of Pi... May '17 yolanda. rown 1

Monongahela Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monongahela Mortgages