What proof exists that Finley is not ...

What proof exists that Finley is not usable?

Posted in the Monongahela Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
King

Belle Vernon, PA

#1 Feb 17, 2012
There were bigger sink holes 25 years ago yet now we must rush to abandon the building that we just put a $400,000 roof on. Who deemed it not usable and if it is unusable those kids better not go to school on Monday.

Why can't it be used for a few more years while we plan and save for a new one???

I wish a board member would answer this question.
ray

Canton, OH

#2 Feb 18, 2012
Finley is fine. The school can continue to be used. The new board needs a referendum vote to eliminate them. We need to request this. It can be done.
D_town

Springdale, PA

#3 Feb 18, 2012
A recall is more in order if there's to be a vote on anything.
Tim

Belle Vernon, PA

#4 Feb 18, 2012
Do we need to contact a state rep?
Bucky

Powell, OH

#5 Feb 28, 2012
I agree,after spending all the money for a new roof for what 6 months , plus paying for a company to monitor the movement of the school (which said the building is safe) is pure waste of money. If they ran a bussiness that way they would be fired or bankrupt.
HUH

Belle Vernon, PA

#6 Feb 28, 2012
The new report states that it has moved in more places. So spending money to ensure that our kids are safe is a waste of money????? I do not want my child in a school that is moving. You might not care but I do.
Sheldon Cooper

United States

#7 Mar 1, 2012
I went to Finley in late 70's and Finley was showing signs of these issues thirty yrs ago. I know a teacher there who had ceiling tiles fall down in her classroom - I wouldnt want my kids going there now.

It was a stupid decision to spend all that money - the bldg should be closed and other alternatives examined like building a new school - whether its a high school and the current high school becomes a middle school but throwing good money after bad is ridiculous.
Money Clip

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Mar 1, 2012
When do we turn the clocks ahead?
Ummder

Springdale, PA

#9 Mar 4, 2012
your computer will do it automatically, so just keep your eye on the little clock thing.
Finley was deemed safe

Belle Vernon, PA

#10 Mar 5, 2012
Your school board paid alot of money to engineers to study Finley. They stated "IT IS SAFE" So what agenda do the board members have to spend millions on the two old schools. Who was promised what????

“Objective and Rational”

Since: Feb 12

Mckeesport, PA

#11 Mar 5, 2012
Finley was deemed safe wrote:
Your school board paid alot of money to engineers to study Finley. They stated "IT IS SAFE" So what agenda do the board members have to spend millions on the two old schools. Who was promised what????
Really? the fact is the building is still moving, per those engineers and they said it is "currently" safe. So the question is safe for how long? they day it was inspected? a week? a month? a school year? no thanks not worth the risk. The agenda is common sense and safety.
Finley was deemed safe

Belle Vernon, PA

#12 Mar 5, 2012
A professional engineering firm is going to ok a building for kids that is not safe because you say so??? Not very Objective or rational. MEC and DEC present more significant dangers that Finley. Best option is to use Finley while planning a new building.

“Objective and Rational”

Mckeesport, PA

#13 Mar 5, 2012
Finley was deemed safe wrote:
A professional engineering firm is going to ok a building for kids that is not safe because you say so??? Not very Objective or rational. MEC and DEC present more significant dangers that Finley. Best option is to use Finley while planning a new building.
Did I say that? Nope. Must be easy to make stuff up and then argue against something nobody said. Does that make you feel right? LMAO The engineers exact words were "currently" safe but it is still moving. Im taking it but his word and not yours. And what are these mad up dangers you speak of?
Gerry

Toledo, OH

#14 Mar 6, 2012
What else could he say. No engineer would say any building will be ok in the future. That bldg has moved from the day it was built. He also said that it was built for that. He also said it was resilent. There is no legitimate reason to close. To spend millions to open and operate two bldgs put the kids on the road longer which is unsafe in itself in bldgs with asbestos, mold and bad ventilation makes no sense. Then the maintenance and overall cost to operate two bldgs is crazy. Keep Finley since it is currently ok and make plans to build new bldg

“Objective and Rational”

Mckeesport, PA

#15 Mar 8, 2012
Gerry wrote:
What else could he say. No engineer would say any building will be ok in the future. That bldg has moved from the day it was built. He also said that it was built for that. He also said it was resilent. There is no legitimate reason to close. To spend millions to open and operate two bldgs put the kids on the road longer which is unsafe in itself in bldgs with asbestos, mold and bad ventilation makes no sense. Then the maintenance and overall cost to operate two bldgs is crazy. Keep Finley since it is currently ok and make plans to build new bldg
LMAO fine if it comes to a vote, you sen YOUR kids there I dont want mine there.
Gerry

Buffalo, NY

#16 Mar 8, 2012
Sounds like a good deal!!!
Kerry

Monongahela, PA

#17 May 8, 2012
He also said this is NOT how the architect who built the building imagined it to look. He also said it was at the whim of mother nature. He also said Its safe for now but he cant say it will be safe tomorrow. Thats not the kinda chances we should take with any children. They also made sure that firm was bonded so of SOMETHING does happen they have insurance to pay for anyone who would sue because they deemed it safe. They NEVER should have put that roof on there. BTW it still leaks because for some reason the didnt replace the 50 yr old skylights when they put on this 349k roof. So when the building SHIFTS ( which happens alot) the skylights need to be recaulked. OH yes let sink some more money into that building thats not dumb at all...
Kent

Belle Vernon, PA

#18 May 8, 2012
Some people can only see things the way they want to and block out all other reason. Just sayin
Sick and tired

Monongahela, PA

#19 May 9, 2012
Last night my husband was at Finley Middle School for the open house/tour for next year's sixth graders. He had not been in the building since 1976 when he graduated from the ninth grade. His overall impression from his tour was that the school looked like a run down sh*t hole. Which brings me to my point. Perhaps we would be best served in this school district if we were permitted to tour the three school facilities that are being discussed, and allow us as taxpayers to make the decision as to which facility is in the best shape, and in exactly which direction our tax money should go.
John

United States

#20 May 10, 2012
A referendum vote is a great idea.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monongahela Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local Politics Do you approve of Robert (Bob) Kepics as Mayor? (Oct '11) Aug 9 tired of you babi... 49
News Woman sentenced in grant scam (Jul '07) Aug 7 jadedg17 6
Peace Out Aug 2 Peace Out 1
Former church members and lawyer disgrace them... (Jan '17) Aug 2 Follow the leader 5
Garbage Jul '17 Paid my garbage bill 1
Western PA to be earthquake central from fracking Jul '17 Shaken 1
Ringgold Baseball Trip Jun '17 Wonder Woman 3

Monongahela Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monongahela Mortgages