Bridgeville, PA

#21 Jul 31, 2008
George - i understand your previous points. And i appreciate your perspective. I'm glad that you like the effort that you see from my office, because believe me, this will be an aggressive office while i have the privilege of serving. thanks for your kind words and support. i find forums like this very helpful to find out what the public expects from its officials.
George

Mckeesport, PA

#22 Jul 31, 2008
Nice to see you care.
top wrote:
George - i understand your previous points. And i appreciate your perspective. I'm glad that you like the effort that you see from my office, because believe me, this will be an aggressive office while i have the privilege of serving. thanks for your kind words and support. i find forums like this very helpful to find out what the public expects from its officials.
George

Mckeesport, PA

#23 Jul 31, 2008
Sorry to disappoint you "Creek" have never spread a rumor in my life.
I am honest-to a fault. Would never say anything false-ever.
I heard the words straight from Mr. Kepics himself.
Up the Creek wrote:
Come on now George, you need to answer my question first. where did you hear that Kepics was taking credit for the drug busts. I hope it wasn't hear say. George are you spreading rumors in this forum? Cause if you are then you should rethink about where God is looking..
JForman

West Mifflin, PA

#24 Jul 31, 2008
Check it out wrote:
Okay if the bust went on long before PROVE IT!!!!
George you are full of it. the park story came from Dec 07 meeting Kennys last meeting. and Robert Kepics Mayor; does not take credit for any drug bust. the DTF is all over the Mon Valley; in fact their are some hire up offices that will be coming down in the near future, see some people think they can get away with murder; however the murder opened up a whole new can of worms. and I know what i am talking about, and yes you have said some untrue things about our new mayor and his staff.
The D.A. has nothing to do with drug bust, nor does local police; they assist; but they are not the arresting parties.
Citizen

Vandergrift, PA

#25 Aug 1, 2008
Citizen wrote:
Monongahela is a great town. The mayor named a new chief. He seems to be sincere in wanting to make positive changes. The mayor is one of several community leaders. Whether you approve or disapprove of the town's leadership, we should all be good citizens and try to improve our community. I think that the mayor has less to do with the success of the community than the school district. Families buy homes and pay taxes and are the future lifeblood of our area. Improve the school district and more families will move here especially with the reasonably priced homes. More taxpayers increase revenue and by homes that might otherwise go to out of town landlords that rent to anyone. When you increase your tax base and people are buying homes, property values increase. When property values increase it is good. Focus on the school district, invest in the school and the teachers!! Everything else will fall into place.
Why are you using the same log in name I have been using for quite sometime? Can't you get something original without taking someone's moniker?
The Original Citizen

Vandergrift, PA

#26 Aug 1, 2008
I could care less who is making these drug busts happen or who gets the credit as long as they keep happening.

The word is out that more are on the way which is both good and bad. Good in the sense that does reduce some activity but bad in the sense that those who really need busted will guard against that and not be caught.

Police chief, Mayor, DA, Feds? Who cares. Keep it up.

Since: Mar 08

Harrisburg, PA

#27 Aug 4, 2008
The Original Citizen wrote:
I could care less who is making these drug busts happen or who gets the credit as long as they keep happening.
The word is out that more are on the way which is both good and bad. Good in the sense that does reduce some activity but bad in the sense that those who really need busted will guard against that and not be caught.
Police chief, Mayor, DA, Feds? Who cares. Keep it up.
Amen, who cares, just get rid of them!!!
Stewart

Monongahela, PA

#28 Aug 5, 2008
Neighbor 22 wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen, who cares, just get rid of them!!!
I agree, but people should not take the credit for something that they have little to do with. The spouting whale gets the harpoon. In other words, the people taking credit are really just looking for applause. The real hero's are the ones making the drug busts that you don't even know their names. They don't need applause.
The Original Citizen

Vandergrift, PA

#29 Aug 5, 2008
Stewart wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but people should not take the credit for something that they have little to do with. The spouting whale gets the harpoon. In other words, the people taking credit are really just looking for applause. The real hero's are the ones making the drug busts that you don't even know their names. They don't need applause.
While what you say is accurate in reality it doesn't matter. A serious problem in this city is being addressed and a small amount of progress has been made. Much much more needs to be made. At the end of the day the people KNOW the score and most don't care who takes credit as long as these drug raids continue.
Happy Citizen

Atlanta, GA

#30 Oct 13, 2008
Kudos! Monongahela secures help of drug task force
MONONGAHELA - Bob Kepics had been in office for only a month as mayor of Monongahela when he called a meeting of Mon Valley mayors and police chiefs to talk about the region's drug problem.
A few weeks later, in February, he called another meeting. Just like before, no one from the larger municipalities showed up, not even the outspoken mayor of Charleroi who has declared his own "war" on drugs.
"I have a severe drug problem here," said Kepics, who defeated incumbent mayor Ken Cole on a campaign promise to take on drug dealers in the small city. "I have got to solve this."
And with an unusually high 21 drug arrests in the city so far this year, Kepics - as the boss of the police department - is happy with the progress.
His first order of business in January was to demote the former police chief, Denny Mendicino, to sergeant and name veteran officer Brian Tempest as chief.
Kepics then ordered all seven officers to undergo a drug test. Officer George Langan was immediately suspended, without city officials giving a reason why he was pulled from the schedule.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act prevents the city from discussing in public why the officer was suspended, Kepics said.
Members of the department will be randomly pulled into Tempest's office again next month for drug tests, the chief said.
After taking the helm in January, Tempest focused on cleaning up the police department, where holding cells were soiled with urine. He even invited inmates of Washington County Jail to perform the cleanup detail.
Then, he extended an invitation to Washington County District Attorney Steve Toprani to bring his drug task force to Monongahela.
The city's police officers since have been instrumental in helping the task force make 17 arrests. David L. Withum, 50, of Finleyville, ranks as number 17 on a chalkboard Tempest keeps in his office and calls the "wall of shame."
Withum is considered to be a major supplier of multiple bricks of heroin from Duquesne to the Monongahela area, court records show.
He was arrested Sept. 23 on charges of possession and delivery of 43 stamp bags of heroin and placed in Washington County Jail on $10,000. He later was released after posting bond and is awaiting trial in county court.
"He's certainly a cog," Toprani said, referring to Withum. "He's a very heavy hitter."
Main Street and the side alleys have been much quieter since the drug task force went to work in the city, said Barbara Mayfield, who owns a small restaurant downtown.
The investigation in Monongahela has been a success, he said, because of the "unique support" from Kepics and Tempest.
Another five drug suspects from Monongahela were arrested last week in an unrelated sting across the Mon Valley carried out by the FBI, Toprani and state and local police.
Warrants were issued for 61 suspected dealers.
That sting also netted Anthony James "Jinx" Law, 23, formerly of Charleroi, who is accused of shooting two Monessen men with a shotgun in broad daylight across the street from a crack house.
"It's ridiculous to have a mid-afternoon shooting on McKean Avenue in Donora," Toprani said.
I honestly don't understand why a lot of other communities are not beating down the door to the drug task force office, Tempest said.
"We want the drug dealers to know that when they hear someone knocking, it's not the Avon lady. It's the drug task force."
The word is now on the street that dealers should stay out of Monongahela, Tempest said. While conducting surveillance recently, the task force used a confidential informant to lure a dealer to the city. The drug buy appointment was, instead, scheduled for Donora because the seller was afraid to drive to the city.
"That's what we want," Tempest said.
Anderson

Mckeesport, PA

#31 Oct 13, 2008
Why is someone from Georgia posting an article from the Observor????????

This article is just like what most people keep saying on this forum-

Kepics has a huge ego and keeps needing it stroked! He's like a cat with a huge belly.
Wonder what favor they did for the reporter to get this story written? What a joke!

Just because an idiot shouts from the roof tops how great they are-doesn't make it a fact.
have we not had enough men in politics that have low IQ's? Look at our president and what has happened to our country. I look for our City to be in a big economiic mess very soon. Can you see him knowing how to balance a budget-PLEASE!!!

xxx

Fairmont, WV

#32 Oct 13, 2008
Wow!!!!! I feel sorry for this town!!!! Something is being done and all everyone does is COMPLAIN!!!! Wake up Monongahela!!!! Everyone wanted something done about the drug problem and they are doing it!!! Give credit were it is due and it will only better!! Wait == I forgot the ppeople of Monongahela are NEVER satisfied!!!!!
MonCity

Dravosburg, PA

#33 Oct 13, 2008
xxx I agree with you 100%!!!! The police are making drug arrests but it is still not good enough.
ex valley neighbor

United States

#34 Oct 13, 2008
Anderson wrote:
Kepics has a huge ego and keeps needing it stroked! He's like a cat with a huge belly.
Wonder what favor they did for the reporter to get this story written? What a joke!
Just because an idiot shouts from the roof tops how great they are-doesn't make it a fact.
have we not had enough men in politics that have low IQ's? Look at our president and what has happened to our country. I look for our City to be in a big economiic mess very soon. Can you see him knowing how to balance a budget-PLEASE!!!
I believe the town under your name is where your internet provider is coming from. Thtas what I have been told anyhow. So this person, or any of us for that matter, could live anywhere.
Tom

Memphis, TN

#35 Oct 14, 2008
ex valley neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the town under your name is where your internet provider is coming from. Thtas what I have been told anyhow. So this person, or any of us for that matter, could live anywhere.
You're half right. For various reasons it is not unusual for your server provider to route you thru different locations. Sometimes those routings are far away. Why who knows? I live in Mon City and on more than one occassion it listed me as being from another state yet I was postimg right from Mon City. This being said if your server is routing you from where you actually are or close to where you are then that person in fact posting from another state.

I have siblings who no longer live in Mon City they live out of state. They do not visit Topix but they do long on to the Valley Ind web page almost daily to check obituaries and other valley news. This person could be in the same boat only they are visiting topix.

Who cares what is listed as a persons location. Maybe they live in the valley but are traveling on business or passing time on vacation? It really has no bearing on what is being posted.
Tom

Memphis, TN

#36 Oct 14, 2008
Case in point. My last post listed Memphis as my origin. I am light years away from the state of Tennessee at this time.
Holy Cow

Greenville, SC

#37 Oct 15, 2008
Anderson wrote:
Don't put all the blame on the President. Yes he's made mistakes, but there is also a majority Democratic congress that is responsible as well. Pelosi is on the forefront of the movement that put many of us in the position that we are in.
findme

United States

#38 Oct 27, 2008
What about the quiet killers? People who steal drugs from hospitals, forge prescriptions for Oxyconton,(The local drugest won't even tell!).
What about mother's giving Oxyconton and booze to their babies to keep them asleep all day, too? Is the task force just looking for thugs with needles hanging out of their arms, or, for the hot-mommies who dope up their children to keep them quiet all day?(While Hot Mommy is passed out cold on a bed?) Working for a severely disabled person, and stealing her drugs, too!
What a life in "Sweet Monongahela Valley."
New Eagle has been burried in drugs for decades.
They should just bring in the bulldozers, and level the hole! JMHO!
PS: I reported one little mama, my next door neighbor in New Eagle, and Youth Services laughed it off. WHO is looking out for the babies and children? Who CARES?
Ryan K

Matthews, NC

#39 Aug 27, 2010
Steve, thank you for your effort to clean up the valley and in particular the City of Monongahela. I grew up there and moved away 6 years ago because I could see that the surrounding communities; Monessen, Charleroi, Donora, Brownsville, West Elizabeth and to some extent the entire Mid-Mon Valley; were crumbling into drug and violent wastelands and Monongahela was next. I wanted no part of it in my life.
I applaud you for taking the reins and putting your community safety first.
I will say this, it cannot end with Monongahela. You must go after the surrounding communities with equal vigor because the reality is that what was going on in Mon City was/is not isolated. I'm sure you know this. If Westmoreland and Allegheny County cannot get their act together this will all be in vain.
Sincerely,
An old friend
Ryan K

Matthews, NC

#40 Aug 27, 2010
Why???
Because we all moved away from the Mid-Mon Valley to get away from people like you who seem to think you know how to fix the problems in the Valley by sitting on your hands and keeping quiet rather than telling these morons who are ruining the towns to get thier act together or you will go to jail.
They may as well call Roswell, Woodstock, and Marietta, GA NewMonValley, GA because about 50% of the population are transplants from the Mid Mon. I am serious.
Anderson wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monongahela Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former church members and lawyer disgrace them... Thu Robert Langdon 4
Ringgold Baseball Trip Thu Wonder Woman 3
Did Bill Gibson ever play basketball for Dunora... Jun 11 nelson 1
Downtown Monongahela Jun 6 Tony 8
News Duquesne Incline Museum: The Best History of Pi... May '17 yolanda. rown 1
Bishop Zubik May '17 Dis quested 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Robert (Bob) Kepics as Mayor? (Oct '11) May '17 Dis quested 48

Monongahela Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monongahela Mortgages