Bacterial Meningitis Confirmed at Aik...

Bacterial Meningitis Confirmed at Aiken County School

There are 9 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Feb 12, 2008, titled Bacterial Meningitis Confirmed at Aiken County School. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

A student at Ridge-Spring Monetta Elementary School has contracted bacterial meningitis, according to school district officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

gege

Decatur, GA

#1 Feb 12, 2008
oh my this is not good...
lexington co

Decatur, GA

#2 Feb 12, 2008
i hope it stays in ridge spring.
concerned parent

Lexington, SC

#3 Feb 12, 2008
I realy dont like the fact that the school has not said what grade this student was in. the kids interact more than just in homeroom and on the bus. these students change classes use the same restroom and eat at the ame lunch tables from 4k on up to 8th grade. i have two kids that go there and when the middle school change classes they are all in the hallway at close proximity of each other whos to say others besides homeroom and on the bus didn't have contact? The school officials need to make sure that they sanitize the whole school. all the kids share the majority of the rooms there. 4k -8th share the library, lunch room, gym... 1st-8th share library, lunch room, gym, chorus,band, computer lab etc..... they have not informed parents what they plan to do about it.....
liz

Decatur, GA

#4 Feb 13, 2008
Usually the types of bacteria are identified too.So what is the exact nature of this meningitis? Could it be borrelia meningitis... you know the bacteria that SCDHEC says we don't have here in South Carolina.... like germs can read.
Meningitis Angels

AOL

#5 Feb 13, 2008
Too many kids are left debilitated or die from this vaccine preventable disease.
I am the mother of an only child, Ryan, who died from meningitis.
Please visit Meningitis Angels at www.meningitis-angels.org for more information.

What is meningitis?
Meningitis is a dangerous and sometimes fatal inflammation of the brain and/or spinal cord that can leave survivors with serious life-long physical problems such as, organ failure, blindness, deafness, loss of limbs, severe seizures, brain damage and other disabilities.
You should also understand meningococcemia and sepsis.

Signs and Symptoms
Do you know the early signs of meningitis and blood poisoning which could improve detection of the disease and save lives?
Unrelenting fever, leg pain, cold hands and feet and abnormal skin color can develop within (12 hours) after infection long before the more classic signs of the illness such as a rash, headache, stiff neck, sensitivity to light and impaired consciousness, debilitation or death. Anyone can get meningitis especially infants, children and teens.
What parents and students should know:

According to ACIP/CDC children ages 11 years through college freshmen should be vaccinated against meningococcal meningitis. However be informed, there are (5) serogroups of the disease, all serogroups groups are not covered. However the most common in the United States among adolescents and college How is it spread.students is serogroup C, which is.
Infants and toddlers should be vaccinated against pneumococcal meningitis.
Those children in daycare and those of American Indian and African American ethnic groups are at a higher risk for pneumococcal meningitis.
There is no vaccine to prevent viral meningitis.

How Is It Spread
The bacteria are spread through the exchange of respiratory and throat secretions (i.e., coughing, kissing). Fortunately, none of the bacteria that cause meningitis are as contagious as things like the common cold or the flu, and they are not spread by casual contact or by simply breathing the air where a person with meningitis has been. However, sometimes the bacteria that cause meningitis have spread to other people who have had close or prolonged contact with a patient with meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis (also called meningococcal meningitis) or Hib. People in the same household or day-care center, or anyone with direct contact with a patient's oral secretions (such as a boyfriend or girlfriend) would be considered at increased risk of acquiring the infection.

Frankie Milley, Meningitis Angels, Founder/National Director.
Ryan's Mom
My opinion

Columbia, SC

#6 Feb 13, 2008
Meningitis Angels wrote:
Too many kids are left debilitated or die from this vaccine preventable disease.
I am the mother of an only child, Ryan, who died from meningitis.
Please visit Meningitis Angels at www.meningitis-angels.org for more information.
What is meningitis?
Meningitis is a dangerous and sometimes fatal inflammation of the brain and/or spinal cord that can leave survivors with serious life-long physical problems such as, organ failure, blindness, deafness, loss of limbs, severe seizures, brain damage and other disabilities.
You should also understand meningococcemia and sepsis.
Signs and Symptoms
Do you know the early signs of meningitis and blood poisoning which could improve detection of the disease and save lives?
Unrelenting fever, leg pain, cold hands and feet and abnormal skin color can develop within (12 hours) after infection long before the more classic signs of the illness such as a rash, headache, stiff neck, sensitivity to light and impaired consciousness, debilitation or death. Anyone can get meningitis especially infants, children and teens.
What parents and students should know:
According to ACIP/CDC children ages 11 years through college freshmen should be vaccinated against meningococcal meningitis. However be informed, there are (5) serogroups of the disease, all serogroups groups are not covered. However the most common in the United States among adolescents and college How is it spread.students is serogroup C, which is.
Infants and toddlers should be vaccinated against pneumococcal meningitis.
Those children in daycare and those of American Indian and African American ethnic groups are at a higher risk for pneumococcal meningitis.
There is no vaccine to prevent viral meningitis.
How Is It Spread
The bacteria are spread through the exchange of respiratory and throat secretions (i.e., coughing, kissing). Fortunately, none of the bacteria that cause meningitis are as contagious as things like the common cold or the flu, and they are not spread by casual contact or by simply breathing the air where a person with meningitis has been. However, sometimes the bacteria that cause meningitis have spread to other people who have had close or prolonged contact with a patient with meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis (also called meningococcal meningitis) or Hib. People in the same household or day-care center, or anyone with direct contact with a patient's oral secretions (such as a boyfriend or girlfriend) would be considered at increased risk of acquiring the infection.
Frankie Milley, Meningitis Angels, Founder/National Director.
Ryan's Mom
Thank you so much for sharing your son's story and spreading the word to help others. I am calling to make an appointment with my daughter's pediatrician to have my 12 year old daughter vaccinated after reading your son's story. Thank you and God Bless you!
Dawn

Hyattsville, MD

#7 Feb 13, 2008
I feel for the family, I know excatly what the child is going through. I had bacterial menigical mengitis when I was 17 yrs old and thanks to prayers, 16yrs later I am doing fine. I did lose my hearing in one ear. But thanks to technogoly,I can now hear.
I pray for the family and keep God in your life. He is the one and only.

MUSA

Phoenix, AZ

#8 Feb 13, 2008
The Meningitis Foundation of America (MFA), a national organization, would like the public and media to know that information is available regarding the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of meningitis. MFA was founded by parents whose children were affected by meningitis. In addition to supporting vaccines and other means of preventing meningitis, the MFA provides information to educate the public and medical professionals so that the early diagnosis, treatment and, most important, prevention of meningitis, will save lives.

Meningitis is a dangerous and sometimes fatal inflammation of the brain and/or spinal cord that can leave survivors with serious life-long physical problems such as deafness, brain damage and other disabilities. Complications from bacterial meningitis can sometimes result in loss of limbs.

MFA has many spokespersons available. If you would like to arrange an interview with a spokesperson please call Jamie Callahan, General Manager of the MFA. A MFA press kit and, for television producers, b-roll footage is available upon request. For further information, visit the MFA website at www.musa.org .

Thank you,

Ms. Jamie Callahan, General Manager
Meningitis Foundation of America
6610 North Shadeland Ave.
Suite 220
Indianapolis, IN 46220
(800) 668-1129 ext.7
[email protected]
Talbot Elkins

Charleston, SC

#9 Feb 27, 2008
I just don't understand. i lost my 15 year old daughter on Dec 26,2007, and I have told so many people about the vsccine, and it is like, not my child, so they should made the gym cleaner. Parents !!! Take the time and talk to your doctor about this Vaccine !! Stop and think about this, you don't get the shot, you have to take you child to the hospital on Dec 22 and 4 days later you will never see them again..NEVER My daughter Jessica Michelle Elkins was to get the shot in March. they have changed the age now, when a child should get the shot, so Please take a few moments of your busy lives, and talk to your doctor, this CAN save your child life. You can google Jessuca Elkins an see her story, but if nothing else please call just so my daughter will not die invain. We want to save one child at a time, and that maybe your child..Thank You [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monetta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chad Hays (Aug '11) Nov 30 campbell 3
News Tony Frazier - from under the hood to behind th... (Jul '16) Jul '16 nadine zacharie 1
Johnston and the rest of this forsaken state (Aug '06) Jul '16 Kaitlin Cobbie 4
Local Politics Do you approve of Nikki Setzler as ? (Apr '16) Apr '16 Lone Ranger 1
News Tony Lavender (Jan '16) Jan '16 Gary 3
Indicted for Murder (Apr '12) May '12 honestly 7
News Deputies Arrest Final Leaphart Murder Suspect (Feb '08) Apr '12 Canalejo 136

Monetta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monetta Mortgages