4 Mon Valley communities searched in ...

4 Mon Valley communities searched in drug investigation

There are 75 comments on the The Valley Herald story from Feb 19, 2008, titled 4 Mon Valley communities searched in drug investigation. In it, The Valley Herald reports that:

Federal agents and state police searched residences in four Mon Valley communities Tuesday as part of an ongoing federal drug trafficking investigation. via The Valley Herald

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Valley Herald.

Since: Mar 08

Monongahela

#21 Mar 10, 2008
Questioning,
I don't agree with DERRICK, however, don't be so naive. Many things are illegal for reasons other than those the politicians use to sell their bills.
Go to http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html and read "The Emperor Wears No Clothes". This book details why Marijuana is now illegal in the USA.
Something Has To Change

United States

#22 Mar 12, 2008
I have to believe that about 98.5% of all people actually know the difference between right and wrong. For that 1.5% that doesn't there are either mentally challenged facilities or jail/prison.

For those in the 98.5 percentile those dealing are choosing to break the law and those people need busted and sent away. The bigger concern in Mon City is our police force turning a blind eye and in a few cases participating in the drug trade. The new mayor and his "different administration" will not mean a thing.

I agree with the one poster who stated that bust one and someone simply takes their place. I also agree that if you cut off the head the body will die. Until law enforcement takes down the main guys supplying the idiots dealing in Mon City and surrounding small Mon Valley towns dealing will continue. There is always someone willing to take the chance to sell drugs for the money.

Also I would like to see the IRS come after these guys dealing. How do you justify a nice car or truck, a Harley, own some property, buy an old club ect, ect, ect and not really have a job with the type of income that supports these purchases. The IRS took down Al Capone not the FBI or Chicago Police. It can be done.

Unfortunately drugs are everywhere from our schools and playgrounds to corporate boardrooms.
Most would be suprised at which of their friends, family members and neighbors were using drugs.

In reality the best we can hope for is that someone in the local Mon City administration grows some B(*^%S and makes it their #1 priority to continue to go after those dealing. While the dealing will continue you simply can't allow them to operate freely. They need to know that they are constantly being watched, under the gun and will get pinched. Keep hitting them hard until you shrink the trade.
ITALIAN

Pittsburgh, PA

#23 Mar 12, 2008
Something Has To Change,

Elliott Ness took down Al Capone, the IRS assisted with documentation to support some of the allegations.

But they were good cops that took him down.

You do make some good points.
Neighbor

Harrisburg, PA

#24 Mar 12, 2008
I just like the idea of all these high-living, self-important drug dealers going from their lives of luxury (Mercedes and plasma TVs) to living in a little jail cell and watching the community TV in plastic chairs. Ha ha ha. That's what they deserve!
SOS in Mon City

United States

#25 Mar 13, 2008
I cannot confirm this so it may be BS however I heard second hand today from a source that is in the know that a Mon City Police Officer who is mentioned quite often on this site very recently tested positive for illegal drugs. Here's the catch. Due to the structure of their union contract all he will receive is a suspension as opposed to termination. Doing illegal drugs and the person is suppose to be protecting us and he's licensed to carry a fire arm. Simply outstanding wouldn't you say.
I'm curious to see if our new mayor will have this reported in the local newspaper under the Monongahela Police blotter. I'll bet $100.00 that we never officially hear a word about it. Then again the new mayor stated that he would report everything and I have seen very little reported in the Valley Ind since he took office. I know that more has happened since the beginning of January. Empty campaign promises at their finest.

Since: Sep 07

Mckeesport, PA

#26 Mar 13, 2008
its good to see mon-valley residents, and others concerned, posting on this site. this is one of the best ways to transmit info about our region. but you have got to believe that these dealers were allowed to hone their skill and build their back-rolls; you can believe this bust paid for itself. we live in an area riddled with corruption, by top officials on down the line. so people lets continue to grow our online community, and maybe by keeping each other informed we can combat corruption; or atleast be informed
concerned

Belle Vernon, PA

#27 Mar 29, 2008
"those dealers" are allowed to hone their skills because drugs are illegal....lets suppose for a minute that drugs are legalized and regulated like alcohol and cigarettes. so now where are the dealers? just like prohibition, legalization eliminates the blackmarket, brings the problem to the forefront for what it is and thats a HEALTH problem, not a criminal one. when u arrest a drug dealer another one is waiting in the wings, there is too much money for there not to be.
point is would you rather have that 200k in a drug house or into a "state store" if you will where the money can be taxed and used to improve the community. the dealers wont have a business anymore and you can use the extra tax money from the users for treatment centers like how alcoholics can get help without worries of arrest and before their use gets out of hand.
im sorry if i have offended anyone but im sick of wasting my tax dollars on police raids and housing and feeding of an evergrowing prision population. most are nonviolent "criminals". does putting nonviolent people in jail help them? most are worse off when they get out. they cant find a decent job so they are forced back into a life of crime or working a menial job for minimum wage. id like to hear other peoples opinions on this since we are the "land of the free" and have the largest prision population in the world.....the irony.
concerned

Belle Vernon, PA

#28 Mar 29, 2008
Something Has To Change,

"For those in the 98.5 percentile those dealing are choosing to break the law and those people need busted and sent away."

did you know 78.2% of statistics are made up on the spot? do you even know why drugs are illegal? do you know why alcohol was illegal? do some research before you start condeming people. i bet it would surprise alot of you to learn the the #1 cash crop in the U.S. today is......wait for it........marijuana. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story...

"A 2005 analysis by Harvard visiting professor Jeffrey Miron estimates that if the United States legalized marijuana, the country would save $7.7 billion in law enforcement costs and could generated as much as $6.2 billion annually if marijuana were taxed like alcohol or tobacco."
concerned

Belle Vernon, PA

#29 Mar 29, 2008
page 2 of the article gives you a good look at the fear factor involved.

"It's not these cute mom-and-pop bong shops anymore, It's violent drug-trafficking groups that are doing all these grows." Garrison Courtney, spokesman for the Drug Enforcement Agency.
i recall that being the same problem with alcohol prohibition...."the violent gangs were running things".....so his statements dont hold weight, not to mention he's the spokesman for the DEA so his job is to make normal citizens fear drugs because its job security for the DEA. get it?

Harrisburg, PA

#30 Mar 31, 2008
Tell it to the family and friends of 12 year old Jolesa Barber who was gunned down for sitting in a room with people who were affiliated with drug trade. She was 12 years old and blown away with an automatic rifle.

Get it?

Do you want this in your neighborhood? Have you ever even lived anywhere where this sort of thing takes place? I'm guessing no.

People who think drug dealers are nonviolent criminals have no idea. Live in Pittsburgh for a year in a high-crime area and them tell me that drug dealers are nonviolent criminals. I guess you've never lived in a neighborhood where you pull up next to a car at a red light and see pepople holding MAC-10 assault rifles. You've never had to find out there was a drive-by shooting on the same street you drive down to go to and from work, minutes after you were there. And you know you have to use that same street again, night after night. Neighborhoods where playgrounds are cased by drug dealers and kids can't even play there, where there are needles lying in the street that have been used by IV drug users.

There are a few people at the lower end of the food chain that "pass it around" for a few bucks here and there that might not be violent offenders, but the vast majority are armed with a illegal weapons and are not afraid to use them. They are aligned with neighborhood gangs where they are taught from a young age to fight to the death for what is theirs (i.e. territory- the whole reason Jolesa Barber died.)

If drugs were legal, people would still sell them illegally to get their share of the profit. If the government sells a drug for $10, maybe the street gang would sell it for $7 to stay in business. Plus, people who are junkies would still be junkies. The legality of drugs would not make them any more employable. They would still have to go around stealing and prostuting themselves to get the next hit. Which then begs the question- would we subsidize drug use? Would there be some large clinic, that would offer not only methadone but all the newly-legal drugs for sale?

If someone goes to jail for selling drugs, I don't feel sorry for them. It's not like we don't all know that drugs are illegal, and dealing them will, sooner or later, land your butt in the can. If people don't like the odds, don't play the game.

And this BS about "no jobs." OK, for people who live in high-crime, poverty-stricken neighborhoods, there are TONS of programs for them to improve their lives. Job Corps will give theme everything including a bus pass, a place to live, money for clothes, childcare, healthcare, education, job placement, you name it. Each year, many of these scholarships go unclaimed. Will they make as much as they would dealing drugs? Probably not. Do I feel sorry for them if they choose a drug lifestyle and not one that is "legit" and wind up in prison? Not really.

Harrisburg, PA

#31 Mar 31, 2008
And most people who are found guilty of small-level drug sales or possession are NOT sitting in prisons. Most get into drug-court programs where they are offered the chance to actually change their lives- government rehab, vocational programs, training, therapy. If they don't take the chance and are again found with drugs, they will probably do some time- maybe a year or two.

The people sitting long-term in prisons are there because they belong there, not because it's some 20 year old kid who was found with a joint during a traffic stop.
Resident

United States

#32 Mar 31, 2008
I know of two guys who I grew up with who use and sell drugs. These jagoffs each get over $800.00 a month from the government because their drug use is considered a disability.

One choses to do drugs and choses to sell drugs. Why should our tax dollars be used to fund these people? The ironic part is that these two guys are taking the $800.00+ a month and using it to enhance their drug trade. Simply unbelievable.

I agree with Neighbor, most arrested are not in jail but they should be. I also do not feel sorry for them. "If you plant corn you get corn". These people need to do away.
well now

Belle Vernon, PA

#33 Mar 31, 2008
neighbor you are an idiot sorry......legalizing drugs ELIMINATES the gangs from the equation.....what dont you get about that? does al capone still sell alcohol? does budweiser do drive by's? stop living in fear.....guess what, there are more 12 year old killed by drunk drivers than drug dealers but those deaths dont get sensationalized so of course its the big bad gangs that only have there powere because a BLACK MARKET EXISTS!!!!!!!! like i said before do some research before u start with your fear mongering. alcohol is LEGAL and still responsible for more deaths than all other drugs combined.....and if everyone in jail belongs in there then why is 1 in every 99 americans in jail? land of the free my ass. do u like paying for that? do you like giving haliburton all your tax dollars to build jails? your living in a cave if u think that isnt happening...i mean seriously what is so hard to understand? has prohibition of drugs worked AT ALL??????? and why is it ok for you to take tylenol for a headache and i cant smoke a joint? at least i know all the ingredients in my joint.....you're like a programmed robot designed to live in fear....wake up, everything u went on a rant about gets solved by legalization. if u still dont get it equate it to alcohol prohibition. alcohol is illegal = gang owned and operated.....alcohol is legal = state owner and operated. so really your argument is baseless, try again.
well now

Belle Vernon, PA

#34 Mar 31, 2008
and if drugs were legal people would still sell them?? really?? again like how u go to the corner to get that cheap beer of the beer dealer?? as long as the parents dont buy the beer for their kids to drink.....oh yea thats right underage drinking is a way bigger problem than underage drug use.......
"The legality of drugs would not make them any more employable." really?? do u fail a drug test if u have alcohol in your system?? how hypocritical of you.....would these people need to steal if they had jobs and felt wanted? see i can tell u have never been addicted to anything so you have no idea....you just "dont want this in my neighborhood" well guess what, i didnt want a drunk driver to kill my best friend when we were 16, but it happened and he didnt go to jail. but if i have an ounce of pot away to jail i go, 1st offense or not.....

"Do you want this in your neighborhood? Have you ever even lived anywhere where this sort of thing takes place? I'm guessing no."
how bout stop guessing, your not good at it. this does happen in my neighborhood all the time. i live in a housing project, i have seen it all, ive been robbed, shot at, mistaken for the wrong person, etc. etc.... im telling you how to get it out of your neighborhood, how to get it off the streets and into a managable environment where the profits dont go into a drughouse where they still collect 800 a month that they get CUZ DRUGS ARE ILLEGAL!!!!!!! how many alcoholics get 800 a month? none i know of, they get classes that none of you have a problem paying for now. everything u have said u can replace drugs with alcohol and you sound like ur fighting for prohibition in the 20's.......GET IT??

Harrisburg, PA

#35 Mar 31, 2008
well now wrote:
neighbor you are an idiot sorry......legalizing drugs ELIMINATES the gangs from the equation.....what dont you get about that? does al capone still sell alcohol? does budweiser do drive by's? stop living in fear.....guess what, there are more 12 year old killed by drunk drivers than drug dealers but those deaths dont get sensationalized so of course its the big bad gangs that only have there powere because a BLACK MARKET EXISTS!!!!!!!! like i said before do some research before u start with your fear mongering. alcohol is LEGAL and still responsible for more deaths than all other drugs combined.....and if everyone in jail belongs in there then why is 1 in every 99 americans in jail? land of the free my ass. do u like paying for that? do you like giving haliburton all your tax dollars to build jails? your living in a cave if u think that isnt happening...i mean seriously what is so hard to understand? has prohibition of drugs worked AT ALL??????? and why is it ok for you to take tylenol for a headache and i cant smoke a joint? at least i know all the ingredients in my joint.....you're like a programmed robot designed to live in fear....wake up, everything u went on a rant about gets solved by legalization. if u still dont get it equate it to alcohol prohibition. alcohol is illegal = gang owned and operated.....alcohol is legal = state owner and operated. so really your argument is baseless, try again.
Guess you missed the part where I stated that I actually lived in these neighborhoods for most of my life. So I think I know what goes on in them, and I think my fear was justified. It's hard to act real laid back when the car next to you is filled with people armed with automatic weapons.

It's not fear mongering. If you think it's unfounded I challenge you to leave safe little Monongahela and move to inner city Pittsburgh. You'd Sh*t yourself after one day. But at least it would be easier to get your grimy useless hands on your drugs.

Explain to me how all the junkies would get their "legal" drugs without stealing or prostituting. Would the nice heroin addict trot off to an office job because drugs are legal? Would we, as a country, offer "shoot up" breaks along with smoke breaks and coffee breaks?

Get real- these people would still be out there copping and stealing at the fringes of society. And gangs would still be out there fighting, because none of them are civilized enough to join the "real world" either. They'd still sell drugs. What else would they do- quit and go work at Sheetz?

And who pays for all this anyway? Would these drugs be subsidized as methadone often is? I guess that beats paying for incarcerated people, leaving them out and paying for their drugs, and the government regulatory program that would be required to watch over all the legal drug dealers.

You also miss the point where our government spends millions on drug-court programs to rehabilitate people, if they fail to use them to their benefit and return to using, whose problem is that? How much should the government do for them? I think going to drug court and getting a second chance is pretty freaking nice, personally.

Most of the "1 in every 99 Americans" who are in jail are there because of dumb and dangerous decisions they made. I don't feel sorry for any of them (save the wrongfully convicted). Until they learn to take personal responsibility for themselves and their actions, they will continue to cycle in and out of the system. It's not like they are victims of anything other than their own poor choices.

It is the land of the free, we are all born free and some lose this freedom due to choices they made to knowingfully go against the laws of this country.

And drunks aren't any better than drug addicts. Where did I ever claim that they were?

Maybe it's time for you to get off Topix? Puff-puff-pass- hurry up or you'll miss your slot in the rotation!

Harrisburg, PA

#36 Mar 31, 2008
well now wrote:
and if drugs were legal people would still sell them?? really?? again like how u go to the corner to get that cheap beer of the beer dealer?? as long as the parents dont buy the beer for their kids to drink.....oh yea thats right underage drinking is a way bigger problem than underage drug use.......
"The legality of drugs would not make them any more employable." really?? do u fail a drug test if u have alcohol in your system?? how hypocritical of you.....would these people need to steal if they had jobs and felt wanted? see i can tell u have never been addicted to anything so you have no idea....you just "dont want this in my neighborhood" well guess what, i didnt want a drunk driver to kill my best friend when we were 16, but it happened and he didnt go to jail. but if i have an ounce of pot away to jail i go, 1st offense or not.....
"Do you want this in your neighborhood? Have you ever even lived anywhere where this sort of thing takes place? I'm guessing no."
how bout stop guessing, your not good at it. this does happen in my neighborhood all the time. i live in a housing project, i have seen it all, ive been robbed, shot at, mistaken for the wrong person, etc. etc.... im telling you how to get it out of your neighborhood, how to get it off the streets and into a managable environment where the profits dont go into a drughouse where they still collect 800 a month that they get CUZ DRUGS ARE ILLEGAL!!!!!!! how many alcoholics get 800 a month? none i know of, they get classes that none of you have a problem paying for now. everything u have said u can replace drugs with alcohol and you sound like ur fighting for prohibition in the 20's.......GET IT??
Get it? Really, there's a "hood" in Monongahela? Why am I not buying this?

Go to Homewood, sweetie, and then tell me about your "hood."

"Would these people need to steal if they had jobs and felt wanted." Hmmm...how old are you? Crackheads and dope addicts don't have jobs because they are zombies who care more about shooting a needle in their arm than anything else in life, up to and including their own existence. They steal to support their habit (and anyone from the 'hood has been a victim of this on some elvel and it S*CKS).

So what you are telling me is a nodding off heroin addict would be able to get a job if drugs are legal?

Please. None of this even remotely makes sense. it's all an arguement for why drugs are NOT legal, because people like you use them and then try to get on Topix and have conversations with people.
the big picture

Belle Vernon, PA

#38 Mar 31, 2008
explain please how leglizing drugs is worse than keeping them illegal? how could the "dealers" get the drugs cheaper than a wholeseller to still sell at a lower price to keep their business? how can their gangs be funded if there is no money in selling drugs? why would you still buy off of a dealer not knowing where the drugs came from if you had a choice? how would junkies walk around like zombies if they had to look presentable to buy their drugs in a store? what happens to a drunk when he goes to get alcohol while smashed? arrested maybe? its called personal responsibility, its amazing how much it will solve....not to mention a person on drugs is more likely to get help if its legal cuz it alieviates fear of arrest. you said the gangs fight over territory, if thats the case then drugs are only funding the gangs, not causing the violence, so legalization solves that....again look at prohibition, once alcohol was legal there was another reason for rivals feuding. territory and money....better make those 2 things illegal too because they contribute to gang activity......oh yea guns and cars too....

and nowhere in your info does it say your from homewood so dont judge where you think im from "sweetie"

Monongahela

#39 Mar 31, 2008
Neighbor,
You are missing the point and an apple to argue an orange issue. The neighborhoods you describe are all areas where drugs are legal, not illegal.
When Marijuana and LSD were legal (before Nixon), these gangsters were were selling Heroin. When Cocaine was legal (before World War II) these gangsters were selling alcohol during prohibition. When Alcohol was legal (before prohibition) they were selling Heroin and other Opiates. When Opiates & Heroin were legal (before Harrison Narcotics Act of 1914) gangsters ... AD NAUSEUM!
The point is, criminals trade in it and are violent because it is illegal! Legalize it, Tax it & Treat It. The criminals will move on to other illegal activities.
Here's an idea - offer these same gangster's a high rate of pay and send them off as mercenaries to track down Al-Queda!
spartan

AOL

#40 Mar 31, 2008
Drugs are evil.

Harrisburg, PA

#41 Apr 1, 2008
the big picture wrote:
"how could the "dealers" get the drugs cheaper than a wholeseller?"
Um, how do they get the drugs now? They have no shortage of suppliers. Home-made meth labs, drug cartels from South American countries. If you can cook meth at home for no cost, why would you go out and buy it?
"why would you still buy off of a dealer not knowing where the drugs came from if you had a choice?"
Because the drug dealers accept BJs as payment, and the legal dealers won't?
Gangs would offer drgus for a lower price to ensure that they maintained their business, because people who are strung out on drugs don't care where it comes from as long as it is cheap.
Do they care now? Have you ever been around a heroin or crack user? They don't care about much except the next hit. Where it comes from, who made it, who funded it is all irrelevant.
"how would junkies walk around like zombies if they had to look presentable to buy their drugs in a store?"
Someone who is dopesick for heroin is always going to look like a zombie.
"its called personal responsibility, its amazing how much it will solve...."
Really? Alcohol is legal and tons of people show no personal responsibility regarding alcohol.
It's called "addiction" and legal or not, it does not change the fact that a person becomes a slave to it.
If people had personal responsibility, they would have never made the choice to stick a needle in their arm in the first place.
"not to mention a person on drugs is more likely to get help if its legal cuz it alieviates fear of arrest."
For most drug addicts, being arrested is old news. These people bounce in and out of jail on a regular basis.
There are alternatives that ALREADY EXIST. There is drug court for first-time offenders, which gives people the chance to have their charges reduced if they comply with treatment. There are government-funded detox and methadone programs. No one is going to arrest someone for trying to get help. The criminal justice system knows these people are on drugs. They encourage people to admit it, get help and get better.
"and nowhere in your info does it say your from homewood so dont judge where you think im from"
I grew up in Pittsburgh within walking distance of where Jolesa Barber was blown away. I spent 25 years living there- IN Pittsburgh, not in some suburb. I've lived in Garfield, East Liberty and North Point Breeze (aka "Homewood") over the years.
So what do you think will happen to all these gang members once drugs are legal? They will all go "legit?" You are dreaming. They will continue to do illegal things to make money.
Drugs didn't destroy these neighborhoods; it was a variety of factors. Drugs moved in when jobs moved out. There's no hope and broken homes. People are born and bred into a culture where they believe that violence and these gangs are the best thing, and they begin their involvement at young ages. I can't believe that making drugs illegal will remove all illegal gang activity.
Besides, is a crack-addicted baby born to a legal crack addict any better off than one born to an "illegal" one? There will still be abandoned children, the cycle will continue.
And no one is addressing the topic of stealing and illegal activities addicts have to participate in to finance their habits. Legal or not, there are still going to be junkies breaking into houses to steal copper piping. There are still going to be hos standing on corners.(Unless, of course, the govt subsidizes the drug addicts. Which is complete BS).
Drugs will never become legal. It may be a good idea in theory, but it will never happen.
Any more questions?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monessen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Monessen Middle School Students Given 'Fifty Sh... (Feb '15) Oct 12 Fifty Farts 60
News Man who sent Hannibal Lecter photo to judge to ... Sep 16 YouDidntBuildThat 6
michael poulton??? (Mar '17) Sep '17 Who cares 4
Mike Poulton Sep '17 Who cares 1
Mindy Murphy Omear Sep '17 Muffin 1
News Woman sentenced in grant scam (Jul '07) Aug '17 jadedg17 6
School Board Canidate (Apr '15) Jun '17 Anonymous 41

Monessen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monessen Mortgages