4 Mon Valley communities searched in drug investigation

Feb 19, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Valley Herald

Federal agents and state police searched residences in four Mon Valley communities Tuesday as part of an ongoing federal drug trafficking investigation. via The Valley Herald

Comments
1 - 20 of 73 Comments Last updated Mar 6, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Neighbor

Mechanicsburg, PA

#1 Feb 21, 2008
Well here you go- the police are working to get rid of drugs in these towns! I am very happy to hear that this drug search was successful and no one got hurt. I just wish I was the one to "discover" the plasma TVs and 250K in cash. Ever think there was 250K in cash chilling in a house on Reed Avenue in Monessen?

Since: Sep 07

Charleroi, PA

#2 Feb 21, 2008
this just shows you the mind set of some of these people. most could take 200K and turn their lives around for the better, this idiot just horded it under his bed so he could buy more dope. 'A fool and his money are soon parted.'
Neighbor

Mechanicsburg, PA

#3 Feb 22, 2008
How true. It's also kind of sad to think that this person made all that money dealing drugs in these towns...basically for lack of a better way to put it, that's a lot of crack! How many lives were destroyed because of these people and their desire to get more and more money? True, the users make a choice, but if there were no dealers on a mission to make the most cash, there would not be mass promotion of drugs on the streets.

And residents who have lived in these towns for years and years have a right to be in an environment free of dealers and crime. I feel so bad for all the elderly people who may be living right next door to these drug houses; people who have lived in their homes for decades, people who have worked hard in local factories and deserve to enjoy their retirement. Or people who are trying to do the best they can and raise children when there are blatant drug dealers doing business on their streets.

I am glad the cops succeeded in this bust, and the money will be put back into the system to continue to conduct more drug busts. These towns are in desperate need of the money, too. The cops don't even make that much considering what they have to deal with.

Charleroi, PA

#4 Feb 22, 2008
but what intrigues me even more is why couldnt these small town cops catch these guys? i know Donora could have used that 200k. i think the police in these towns are complacent. if the feds know about it, then the local cops should have been the first to know. and i know first hand how crack has destroyed the community. i rented to a crack head and 2 crack dealers and they turned my apartment building into hell, and it cost me to get them out of there. now they should round up the crack users!!
Someone Who Knows

Cleveland, OH

#5 Feb 22, 2008
I think for the most part the previous comments were made by very clueless people. Although I agree that the one guy who had 250k stashed away in his house was pretty ridiculous, I do know some of these people, life. Although the Mon Valley isn't the biggest city filled with poverty, it ain't that safe nor is it easy to live around here. I'm willing to bet these so called "drug dealers" have families to provide. I'm also willing to bet at the age of 36, selling drugs is no longer for getting more money, it's to survive. Guaranteed all of these men had it rough growing up and have no other outlet, there is no other outlet. You got to remember that not everyone in the valley does not come from a back round of steel workers and in the minds. You gotta do what you gotta do to live. As far as users, thats a personal choice. Just like Mcdonald's makes dough off of you wanting that big mac, somebody got to make money off of you getting HIGH.
I don't feel bad for the neighbors of these men, why would I. If your retired in PA, then theres something wrong with you. Go down to Florida like everyone else. Whose to say some of these people weren't bootleggers back in the day. Only difference is they never got caught.
These police in the Mon Valley are terrible. You know what, I can't even say that for the whole valley. I know from first hand experience that Donora's police might just be the worst in America. I've witnessed first hand the result of police harassment for just being black and outside on a warm summer after-noon. In Donora, kids and teens choose not to even go outside anymore because of no matter what there doing, if a police car so happens to spot them walking, they are stopped and asked questions. This is some BS.
All this FBI detective spying they're doing with these local "business men" needs to be aimed at the people that are supposed to be protecting us.
victom of circumstance

Blairsville, PA

#6 Feb 22, 2008
I was doing work on an accused pushers residence and now the local police have been harrassing me. Its not right I make an honest living and have the right to work for whoever will foot the bill work is limited in this poop hole. I dont see them harrassing the comcast cable guy or the water meter reader or perhaps maybe the gas man I am just another trade trying to make a living and now I have police following me and making my family uncomfortable in the same community they grew up in.
Concerned Business Owner

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Feb 24, 2008
Barb Mayfield, owner of a coffe shop in Monongahela called 'The Bees Nest', is more than willing to give anybody the scoop on illegal police drug dealing in Monongahela. Barb is closely tied in with Democrat Party campaigns and is good friends with some of the most influential politicians in the Mon Valley. She says she has witnessed Monongahela police officers, like George Langan, deal cocaine in front of her coffee shop. She also will tell you that she has been giving this info to a friend in the FBI.
Is seems strange to me that if this were true, how come she can't get her politician friends to stop these activities. Is it rumor or fact?
The new Mayor told everyone that this would be a transparent administration and that there would be media coverage on all that happens in Monongahela. If this were only true - but it is not. Google our city and you will see only 3 articles since January 1, 2008. Amazing that there is no crime here!
moncity

AOL

#8 Feb 25, 2008
I'm not surprised one bit.
Someone knows NOTHING

Mechanicsburg, PA

#9 Mar 4, 2008
OH PLEASE! Do you think that "everyone in the vally comes from a background of steel workers?" Steel workers went out in 1980, unless we are discussing a valley in China. Where are there even steel workers in the US anymore? Koppers employs all of 100 people, and the Allenport plant is always rumored to be leaving town.
Most folks are living paycheck to paycheck to survive...and most aren't selling drugs. Having 250K in your mattress cover and a new Mercedes "ain't" about surviving; it's about having a big baller lifestyle at the expense of people who actually have to live in these communities (because they don't make enough money to move anywhere else, and they don't suppliment their income through illegal activity.)
There's NO EXCUSE for what they are doing. Lots and lots of people (myself included) grew up poor and in bad neighborhoods- GET OVER IT. If they want to be VICTIMS, let them be VICTIMS. It's their choice. I don't even want to hear this nonsense about how there isn't any choice. Explain to me Colin Powell if there's no other choice. He's from NYC housing projects and he's one of the most successful men in America. Explain to me why everyone isn't out selling drugs if there is "no other choice."
There is another way- there are lots of them. There are lots of people who took the other roads- not easy ones and not without sacrifice, but it's possible to turn into something other than a thug. You can take out grants and loans and go to college, or use GI Bill money after serving in the military (which I did). You can go to Job Corps, which pays for every living expense and cost associated with education.
What do you know if you think a bunch of retired steel and wire workers "should" retire to Florida? Hello- if anyone has no cash flow, it's these people. But I guess you must miss those nightly news stories on things like the escalating cost of rx drug coverage and the sacrafices seniors make just to afford meds they need to survive.
Ignorance must be bliss- Just because someone had a job and a (small) house doesn't mean they are well-off enough to retire to the Sun Belt. The elderly are the most likely in this country to be poor and they are staying in the homes and communities they spent their lives in, and they deserve to do so without Johnny Gangbabger from his supposed hard knock life shooting up their streets.
These people did what they were supposed to do. They went to war, they served their country, they CONTINUE to pay taxes on their homes...they worked hard at jobs that were not easy. Perhaps their lives were a lot more difficult than people today- their parents were immigrants and they worked in dirty, unregulated industries before anyone cared about public health or safety. They have a right to live out their days in the communities they spent their lives building without fear from some losers who want to take the easy way out and peddle dope for a living.
bob

Mechanicsburg, PA

#10 Mar 5, 2008
good work cops
Matt

AOL

#11 Mar 5, 2008
I agree 100%, Someone knows NOTHING. It's a shame, there aren't many decent jobs around here in the valley but, that doesn't mean you have to sell drugs to make money, or use them for that matter because you have nothing better to do. There are jobs out there. You have to find them.
Someone knows NOTHING

Mechanicsburg, PA

#12 Mar 6, 2008
Yes, Matt, that's the issue. The people who ARE doing the right thing, working the jobs they'd rather not do, struggling to survive, resisting the temptation to get involved in drugs, they still have to live in places they can afford. And these towns are often run by a few people who are doing what they have to do get the most cash, regardless of who gets hurt and who gets in their way (case in point, the 12 year old girl who was killed in PGH recently). And the streets become infested with all sorts of illegal activities from prostitution to drug deals- the same streets families need to use to take their kids to school, the same playgrounds kids want to use are being solicited by dealers. That's not fair. I just don't understand how people can defend their actions.

Since: Mar 08

Monongahela

#13 Mar 6, 2008
The recently deceased, ex Chief of Police of Carroll Township, Howard Springer is another example of absolute power corrupts absolutely. His own police officers turn him in for for poker machines at the Country Club Deli, 3 girls at the deli turn him in for inapropriately touching them, and all he gets is 3 years probation and gets to keep his retirement pay. How does this motivate honest cops to do the right thing, let alone ordinary citizens trying to stand up against local cops and politicians?

Turns out soneone killed Howard and his wife yesterday. The DA and police aren't releasing any details including cause of death. Did someone finally snap because justice is blind (you know, had her eyes poked out by local corruption) and deliver some kind of vigilante justice? I wouldn't be surprised...
Finleyville resident

Pleasanton, CA

#14 Mar 6, 2008
I saw about 6 police cars lastnight (3/5) in Finleyville. Just checking to see if anyone knows what was going on. Rumor was they were searching for a fugitive.

“Speak out.”

Monongahela, PA

#15 Mar 7, 2008
Someone Who Knows wrote:
I think for the most part the previous comments were made by very clueless people. Although I agree that the one guy who had 250k stashed away in his house was pretty ridiculous, I do know some of these people, life. Although the Mon Valley isn't the biggest city filled with poverty, it ain't that safe nor is it easy to live around here. I'm willing to bet these so called % dealers" have families to provide. I'm also willing to bet at the age of 36, selling is no longer for getting more money, it's to survive. Guaranteed all of these men had it rough growing up and have no other outlet, there is no other outlet. You got to remember that not everyone in the valley does not come from a back round of steel workers and in the minds. You gotta do what you gotta do to live. As far as users, thats a personal choice. Just like Mcdonald's makes dough off of you wanting that big mac, somebody got to make money off of you getting HIGH.
I don't feel bad for the neighbors of these men, why would I. If your retired in PA, then theres something wrong with you. Go down to Florida like everyone else. Whose to say some of these people weren't bootleggers back in the day. Only difference is they never got caught.
These police in the Mon Valley are terrible. You know what, I can't even say that for the whole valley. I know from first hand experience that Donora's police might just be the worst in America. I've witnessed first hand the result of police harassment for just being black and outside on a warm summer after-noon. In Donora, kids and teens choose not to even go outside anymore because of no matter what there doing, if a police car so happens to spot them walking, they are stopped and asked questions. This is some BS.
All this FBI detective spying they're doing with these local "business men" needs to be aimed at the people that are supposed to be protecting us.
So you're saying that if I can't find a job, It's perfectly okay for me to go out and sell crakc? I'm a current high school student, and I find that offensive. Do you know the amount of drrugs I've seen go through Ringgold?? It's disgusting. I hear everywhere about kids getting high, and its absolutely horrible. STUFF LIKE THAT RIPS FAMILIES APART. So, instead of getting an HONEST JOB, just let these guys run rampid selling stuff. They have to support a family, right? Well maybe they should do it the LEGAL way.

Why wouldn't I feel bad for the little old ladies that go to bingo and come home to an apartment filled with drgus? These men and women were brought up in a generation where hard work was importatn,(even if it wasn't honest, you said that was okay, didn't you?) and why shouldn't they be able to spend their last few years in peace? Don't you know that a significant amount of crime and violence follows these deals?

Your opinions don't make any sense, and are downright offensive. I've seen what stuff like this does to people, and there's probably a reason it's illegal! Maybe these people should grow up and get a REAL JOB?!
derrick

Fayette City, PA

#16 Mar 9, 2008
being a former drug dealer you people should be glad that is all that is going on, because if government wins the so called war on drugs those people that are hustling to make money will be climbing in your windows or kicking down your doors to get what you got,it's sad but that's the mindset of the disinfranchised

“Speak out.”

Monongahela, PA

#17 Mar 9, 2008
Yeah, derrick. You're right. I'm THRILLED there are dealers in my neighborhood.

*ALERT: Sarcasm was bleeeeding from that response*

Why don't these people get real jobs? Dude, even McDonalds has to be better than living in fear all the time that a cop is going to arrest you.
Resident

United States

#18 Mar 9, 2008
derrick maybe you have turned your issue around and if you have good for you however you mind set of "be glad that's all that is going on" is wrong? Your mentality is why I'm licenced to legally carry a gun and have firearms in my house. They may "kick" there way in but they will be carried out in a body bag.
derrick

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Mar 10, 2008
to the concerned ringgold student it's all about supply and demand,i went to ringgold too and while i was in school i sold weed and powder to more than a few teachers. It's not right by any means but as long as there are people willing to pay thousands of dollars for somethin easy as that to move around it will be sold.thats just the way it is and the way it looks like it's gonna be, and when there is a big drug bust it just helps the other people move up the ladder, you have one bust every ten years thats not going to accomplish a whole lot to make anyone want to leave that life.

“Speak out.”

Monongahela, PA

#20 Mar 10, 2008
That's disgusting and really sad that someone would resort to that. I'd like to know what teachers. I don't know anything about that business, and I'm glad. I just imagine that there's probably a REASON that this stuff is ILLEGAL, right?? They don't just make stuff illegal for the hell of it.

What year did you graduate?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monessen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 8 hr Mr Johnson 3,933
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 8 hr Yoda 51,313
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 13 hr EDDIE SWINDELL 161
ringgold and drug testing 17 hr Viper1989 2
Ringgold begins design phase for new middle school Aug 20 DaDog1 3
Barking dog Aug 18 Upset1991 2
So much for the offer to let Donora have the ol... Aug 12 worthlessegomaniacs 8
•••
•••
•••

Monessen Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••