Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeabl...

Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says

There are 228 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from Sep 27, 2010, titled Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

If you want to know about God, you might want to talk to an atheist. Heresy? Perhaps.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Sarah

Denver, CO

#1 Sep 27, 2010
Gee, if they know so much, then how silly they are to still be Atheists and Agnostics. Christianity can withstand questioning and the non-believers have just deliberately chosen to turn a deaf ear and blind eye toward it. What a sad waste of knowledge they have that they aren't leading those ignorant Christians back to Christianity. Oh well, I guess we ignorant Christians will have to rely on our FAITH to get us around.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
DL Probing

Littleton, CO

#2 Sep 27, 2010
Shocker.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
History Guy

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Sep 27, 2010
What sets atheists apart is not having memorized the trivia of various religions - it's understanding that all religions are designed to manipulate and exploit people.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
DL Probing

Littleton, CO

#5 Sep 27, 2010
LOL...pouting...still...and ranting about the dirt goblin.
jstn

New York, NY

#7 Sep 28, 2010
Sarah wrote:
Gee, if they know so much, then how silly they are to still be Atheists and Agnostics. Christianity can withstand questioning and the non-believers have just deliberately chosen to turn a deaf ear and blind eye toward it. What a sad waste of knowledge they have that they aren't leading those ignorant Christians back to Christianity. Oh well, I guess we ignorant Christians will have to rely on our FAITH to get us around.
But we haven't chosen to turn a deaf ear or a blind eye. We've investigated more thoroughly than most Christians do, applied critical thinking, and decided that these religions can't meet their burden of proof (leaving aside the fact that they're incredibly inconsistent and morally backward). It's the job of those claiming that there is a god to prove it scientifically. They have not done so.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
theSKYisALSOblue

Denver, CO

#8 Sep 28, 2010
department of hard labor wrote:
<quoted text>
You will burn in Hell.
mokusatsu
No thanks. Is that the only reason you are good and believe?
Phillip

Worcester, South Africa

#9 Sep 28, 2010
DL Probing wrote:
Shocker.
You are a woman, should you even be sharing opinion?
Agnostic

Singapore

#10 Sep 28, 2010
I wonder what would the results of a similar survey in Europe be? And make it Western and Eastern Europe. I think there would be big differences. Yet, we do not know the questions, so it is very speculative.
Riddles

Cambridge, UK

#11 Sep 28, 2010
Sarah wrote:
Actually Sarah it is you who is silly to think that someone with more knowledge on religion but be ignorant just to not agree with your beliefs.

Christianity cannot withstand questioning and that it why millions of christians lose the faith when they see the religion in a new light. If your pastor can't answer a fairly simple question then maybe you should find out yourself. This is what results in people actually learning.

So you see Sarah, faith alone is a poor tool for control as it can easily allow doubt to form around the flaws and contradictions and most people aren't dumb enough to settle for no more than faith.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Paul

London, UK

#12 Sep 28, 2010
I am shocked. SHOCKED!
Cale Gibbard

Brantford, Canada

#13 Sep 28, 2010
Just a note, but one which I think is important nonetheless: atheism does *not* refer to the belief that there is no god. It refers to a lack of belief in any gods.

If you are not a theist, you are by definition an atheist.

Agnosticism *could* be summarized as being unsure about the existence of a god, but that's also a bit glib. It refers to the belief that the existence or non-existence of a god is something which is impossible to determine objectively.

It's possible to be an agnostic atheist (to believe that it's impossible to know whether a god exists and not believe in any gods), or an agnostic theist (which means that you believe in a god whose existence you nonetheless believe is impossible to objectively determine).

The belief that there are no gods, which is different from just not believing in any gods, is something else. Very few atheists would claim to know with certainty that no gods exist. Many atheists believe it to be unlikely that any gods exist, but this is something else again.

I see confusion about the definition of atheism all the time. People have trouble with the notion that a lack of belief in something is different from a belief in the lack of it.

As for the content of the article, I'm not at all surprised. It's usually precisely because people take the time to learn about the things that they and other theists claim to believe, that they come to the realisation that the theist position is too difficult to logically defend, especially in the modern age, and back away from it.

In my experience, most theists haven't really done the same kind of serious critical thinking about their beliefs that most atheists have. This is probably due in part to the fact that in North America and many other places in the world, we have the odd situation that the default position is a religious one and only by introspection does anyone move away from religion. This rather than the perhaps more sensible possibility of everyone starting out with no particular belief, and deciding on a religion, if any, based on their own careful thought.

Another reason for it might be that religions themselves discourage the application of certain types of critical thinking and investigation to religious beliefs that we would normally apply to any other situation in our lives. Atheists, by not a priori believing the statements of some faith have a more neutral point of view in trying to determine if it is true or not, and tend not to simply dismiss claims out of hand (e.g. "that's written in my holy book, it must therefore be true" or "that's part of a different religion than mine, it must therefore be false").

Instead, atheists will often take the time to investigate the claims made by theists more fully, if for no other reason to work out precisely how and why they disagree. In doing so, many of the details of these religions often come to light which seemingly are unknown to even the people claiming to believe them!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
WacoKid

Eddy, TX

#14 Sep 28, 2010
Remember the tree of knowledge in Eden that God told man to stay away from. Satan is using knowledge to lead people away from Christ and they will surely burn in Hell. Christians be strong! Don't let your mind question the word of Jesus Christ and you will be saved from an eternal river of fire!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
SensibleMind

United States

#15 Sep 28, 2010
WacoKid wrote:
Remember the tree of knowledge in Eden that God told man to stay away from. Satan is using knowledge to lead people away from Christ and they will surely burn in Hell. Christians be strong! Don't let your mind question the word of Jesus Christ and you will be saved from an eternal river of fire!
Yeah using your mind is of the devil. Never question always follow blindly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Fry

Waterbury, CT

#16 Sep 28, 2010
Paul wrote:
I am shocked. SHOCKED!
Well, not that shocked
Joe

Slough, UK

#17 Sep 28, 2010
We all knew believers were more stupid really.
Joseph

Coral Gables, FL

#18 Sep 28, 2010
Sarah wrote:
non-believers have just deliberately chosen to turn a deaf ear and blind eye toward it.
Your not listening, the point of this survey is that we have listened and are not turning deaf ears. We have listened, and we have judged your religion, and others to be false.

Turning a deaf ear is what you are doing, how much do you know about Buddism, African Traditional Religion, or even Egyptian mythology? Why do you believe those faiths are wrong, is it merely because you were born into a Christian family? Pay close attention to that last one by the way, remember that while you see it as bogus, those people really believed in "Ra", just like you believe in "God."
Mike

Durham, NC

#19 Sep 28, 2010
Agnostic wrote:
I wonder what would the results of a similar survey in Europe be? And make it Western and Eastern Europe. I think there would be big differences. Yet, we do not know the questions, so it is very speculative.
Would probably show similar results, probably even higher percentages for atheists and agnostics. The United States has one of the highest percentages of religious people in the world. Most European countries have far higher populations of atheists and agnostics so I imagine the percentages and differences would be even higher.
Luke

New York, NY

#20 Sep 28, 2010
Note that these results were published one day after a global study of 30 developed nations where America placed 27th in science, 17th in math and 10th in literacy.

so, below average in two out of 3, near the bottom in science, below average in math, and barely in the top 1/3 in reading from the world's richest nation. Now, here is where it gets scary. When the financial crisis hit, it was solely as a result of this - people playing with things they didn't truly understand. When AIG blew up and took down all of Wall Street and a few countries, a few months prior, their head of financial products said, "I cannot see a situation where AIG will ever lose even $1 on any trade we have ever placed." This attitude spread throughout the globe - free money, and no understanding of financial products. Now we have built a global system based on science and technology. Look around you. Everything is based on technology, and it's speeding up. And we don't know anything about science. It's only a matter of time until it blows up in our faces. The most obvious problem is in the middle east, where they have a bronze age culture based on religous teachings (and not much better in America), and 21st century weapons. Imagine the cruades, but with nuclear weapons instead of swords. Now you know why I dont like religion. Here in America, we glorify people like Sarah Palin who wants to teach creationism and Glenn Beck who wants to teach the controversy in science classrooms. Just last week, Christine O'Donnell, who does not believe in evolution, may be elected to Senate. How are we going to advance, if our leaders are digressing knowledge?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Ret

Philippines

#21 Sep 28, 2010
That is true, but what they only know is religion, not spirituality, not a true God.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Apostata

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#22 Sep 28, 2010
Sarah wrote:
The article also talks about other religions, not Christianity, it mentions Judaism as well and they are not christians, and realy it does not shock me the fact that they know better than the average USA christian, even though I do not believe in any god they DO have to study in order to follow they believes and they came second on the survey. The way christianity is lived in the United States is quite shocking, intrusive and disrispectfull. The fact that a president that is suposed to represent everyone in their country even mentions the word god is absurd. You should really think about separating your government from your church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How big is your woman's rack? (Sep '16) Oct '17 CuppsMatter 6
How do you go about finding a girl for a threes... Oct '17 Helpful 2
snitch in Moline Sep '17 fat tom 1
News NC man jailed for 3 days as probation violator ... (Feb '10) Sep '17 Uncle SamLee 2
i see that your are also married Sep '17 Anonymous 1
News Mercer School Board approves prayer before meet... (Feb '10) Aug '17 Todayishutup 83
News Man charged with aggravated sexual assault held... (May '17) Aug '17 Sad 4

Moline Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moline Mortgages