Early Graduate Unhappy With Prom Policy

Full story: WQAD

A Moline senior already has her dress, matching shoes and a date; but she found out she can't buy tickets to her own prom.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Feb 14, 2011
Emyzkanne

Marshalltown, IA

#1 May 6, 2010
I think this is garbage. We are asking our children and students to be succussful in life and school and yet if they are the ones to further their education instead of sitting in the high school just filling spaces on your schedule you have to miss your senior moments!! Wow that can ruin someones drive for life. Go Moline Maroons Crush another dream!!!
smitty

Geneseo, IL

#2 May 6, 2010
lot her go!!!!!!
moline grad

Moline, IL

#3 May 6, 2010
this has always been a rule if u graduate early . i graduated early and i knew if i graduated early i couldnt go to prom. i dont see the big deal maybe she shouldve stayed in school?
Class of 98

Marshalltown, IA

#4 May 6, 2010
If you read a little Further She is still in Moline High school as an active student in Moline taking college coarses its not like she dropped out.
doesnt surprise me

Murphysboro, IL

#5 May 6, 2010
Yep Good ole MHS just like the city of Moline....they both are crap.....
Tom Marshall

United States

#6 May 7, 2010
I agree that policies/rules should be considered as "guidelines" - not permanent LAWS. I got the shaft from Jay Schaff and Mr. DiIulio when I was in high school there. Ruined my musical grades after 3 years of my total dedication which included summers - and has had an effect upon my trust (or lack of) of those "over me" ?.
david

Gulf Breeze, FL

#7 May 7, 2010
I'm out of school now and didnt go to Moline but the real problemis these psycho kids make it this way for everybody else and that creates more problems for the the good students. just like the government making laws always taking something away and giving nothing back so what do we got left to do. Instead of fixing a problem so everyone can benefit that makes so much sense but no lets take away from everyone cus the schools and government are too damn lazy to fix this crap they would rather piss more people off and create more crimes just so cops have a damn job and more control. We the people my butt. its all freedom to the people in uniform. so yes sum1 trying to make it through school by going to another school to make up a lousy half credit when the school coulda easily said hey u done good, so who should really care about a lousy half a credit. So stop with the laws and rules and start giving back to people that deserve it. Then maybe we wouldn't have so many people in jails and prison for stupid crap wasting tax payers money. Oh but that would make too much sense. So who's the real bully? school systems and the government pointing the finger at sumone else. What a bunch of crap.
MHS Alum

Chicago, IL

#8 May 7, 2010
I graduated in 1994, the policy was the same way back then. What's the big deal?
1994 grad

Milwaukee, WI

#9 May 7, 2010
I also graduated early and this was the policy at my school. This girl knew what was up. Of course this was discussed. Obviously the school, counselors, parents and student were all involved in the decision to graduate early. I don't believe for one second this girl was not aware of this policy.

Most students are 1/2 credit shy of the minimum credits needed to graduate by 2nd semester senior year. At my school 6 of us chose to graduate early, but others that were considering it decided to stay to experience the events of their senior year.

Again, I have no doubt this girl and her parents were aware of this policy. I think its crap that they are trying to raise a stink. Rules are rules, and this girl is not special.
Parent in moline

Moline, IL

#10 May 7, 2010
My son was an early grad. They are well aware of the policy before the early grad. I also know this young lady....She is not the perfect little student they want you to believe. I am sick and tired of the school bashing. Just because you went to school it does not qualify you to run one.
megadeth

Gulf Breeze, FL

#11 May 7, 2010
ya so flunking kids that graduate late are treated better. Prom is the biggest thing in a lot of kids life and for someone to take that away 4 doing more work faster. thats what employers want with employees and when u have schools saying u cant do something special cus u do better. Now come on think about it what a bunch of P.T.A. crap. Oh well guess violence in schools dont mean a thing cus every one is categorized and who in the hell is perfect, hell i was a class clown dropout but hell im a supervisor at my job now and i get raises for doing better and faster and a lunch from the boss. he doesnt say nope done too fast so i gotta cut ur pay. no wonder the dropout rate is so hi. Get praised for being average or below and get screwed when u do good. I hated my school but at least it was better than that.
NewsWatcher

Rockford, IL

#12 May 7, 2010
This is not newsworthy! I am dissappointed in WQAD for even running the story! This is a policy, all students who graduate early know the rules. This story makes the girl (for obviously not reading or paying attention to the policy), the mom (who went on camera and admitted to paying $200 for a dress - which means she didn't read or pay attention to the policy) and the news station (for even running the story AND putting it on the main page of the website).
WQAD - you just got me back as a viewer not that long ago...too bad you've lost me again.
Irishrose

Coralville, IA

#13 May 7, 2010
I went to Moline, graduated early, and went to my senior prom. With someone who did not attend Moline High School. I graduated in '01 but it seems the policy was supposed to be in place then too? I hope they let her go.
megadeth

Gulf Breeze, FL

#14 May 8, 2010
oh look favortism already. no irishrose not making stabs at u but just making an example at what school systems do. the same as government crap. obviously they didn't care about reading their own damn rules when irishrose went but hey u beat the system. maybe irishrose didnt have to go to a different school to make up a 1/2 credit but still a technicallity and bent rules (laws). Rite on irishrose cus if u graduate early and even b4 prom then technically ur not a student there no more. dont anybody get that the more laws and rules means more crimes and no i'm not saying that every law and rule should be abolished but make sense of laws created just like felons, they cant own guns, which should mean murders, attempted murderers, etc. not necessarily with a gun but the intent to kill. So what about other felony charges like drug possession over a certain amount is a Class X felony and they get treated like murderers or better yet shouldnt DUIs be considered felonies since their risking everyones life on the road? oh no drug possession is alot worse than DUIs guess u can really hurt sumone buy throwing a bag of whatever at someone and do more damage than killing sumone in a car. I'm done. anyone that cant make sense of this obviously dont make sense at all. I tell u what i'd rather be n a car with sum1 driving thats high as hell than someone thats drunk. everyone is so narrow or close minded that they cant make sense with every word they say.
Taylor726

Herrin, IL

#15 May 8, 2010
I graduated early in 1978 and the policy was the same then. I was informed of the consequences before I made my decision, just as I'm sure this student was. No one forced her to leave school early. Sour grapes!
SameOldRediculou sRules

United States

#16 May 8, 2010
They could easily make an adendum that students who graduated early of THAT school year can attend Prom.
Why would any SANE person make and/or enforce a rule that punishes over-achievers?
92 graduate

Theodore, AL

#17 Jun 21, 2010
being unaware of a policy is no excuse to be allowed not to follow it.
Exceptions

Bethpage, NY

#18 Feb 14, 2011
The people that say "rules are rules" and she should have known. Not being able to go to any senior events because you're smart and chose to do extra work to graduate? If you graduate at the same exact time as the class of that year, you should be allowed to attend all the class events including prom. It's ridiculous to not allow teens who are mature and worthy of going to prom because they are graduating high school that year instead of with their original class the next year. It's something everyone would like to look back on. Kids who graduate early put a lot of effort into this because its their choice. They want to leave and they have valid reasons. It shouldn't be looked own upon to do extra work. This just doesn't encourage them at all to aim for higher standards and goals in life. The rule should be able to have exceptions where it depends on the reasons for graduating early and how much effort. They should only let you not attend if your grades drop below a certain GPA. It would make a lot more sense by encouraging them to do well and letting them stand by their decision without feeling left out of the graduating class they should be in.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr JonahI 49,515
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 8 hr only one voter 1,909
Tires Plus - STAY AWAY from these lying cons! (Sep '10) Sun anonymous gues 12
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Aug 24 Mr Ridgway 3,922
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) Aug 20 Weneedchange 147
Chicago woman accused of dealing cocaine in DeKalb Aug 14 reality is a crutch 1
7 Kinky Upgrades for Your Sex Life Aug 2 Tamiahouse 1
•••
•••
•••

Moline Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Moline People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE