Eriksen Chevrolet donates car to stranded family

Full story: WQAD 38
There's much better news for the Weismore family Thursday. After dozens of emails, phone calls and contributions, they're almost ready to go home to North Dakota. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dawn

Monmouth, IL

#21 May 5, 2010
Whom are any of you to judge? I am so impressed by the folks at Eriksens Chevy center and their wanting to help. It is not our place to judge any of those whom were involved, it will be Gods place.
Gackle ND Resident

Gackle, ND

#22 May 5, 2010
Just wanted to let you know she has not shown up yet in Gackle. Who knows where she went with the car and money you gave her.
wegotscammed

Princeton, IL

#23 May 6, 2010
I searched her name on FACEBOOK and found her right away, check it out.It is a scam. 8 On your side get busy. You can do it. You are #1 at checking things out. Scam is right, We were taken.
scam patrol

Gackle, ND

#24 May 7, 2010
I heard they were on their way to ND but ran out of money and called back to Illinois for more without success. Most likely heading back to Florida. Too many people know them here now.
Dawn Willits

Iowa City, IA

#25 May 7, 2010
M & J
You better call within 1 week, if you know what I mean.

Yes, QC, I am the kind hearted person who led you astray. It is so hard traveling with dogs. I just didn't believe a family would sit in a hot parking lot with three of them.

I have learned volumes in the six days I knew Michelle and James. I thank them for that.
Dawn Willits

Moline, IL

#27 May 8, 2010
Last night my post was cryptic and cynical because I had come to terms with how I must proceed.

I want to explain what happened with the Weismore family from Gackle, ND.

Michelle needs to call me by Friday, May 14th or we are giving away the large amounts of blankets, pillows, and clothing that they left here. Everything they left will be given away the next day (Saturday), if she hasn't called to make arrangements.

Although parting as "close friends", the last time she called was Tuesday. I had reason to get suspicious and determined to find out more about them. I called the County which Gackle resides in. I learned that they haven't lived there since January.

I went to the library because we don't have internet at home to do research.(Last night I posted from a friend's computer.) Wow!

I WANT THEIR THINGS OUT OF OUR SPACE and Michelle and James out of our lives.

The volumes I learned from this experience includes this: Stealing from others by lying is legal! The good samaritans have given it away willingly.

Why did I trust them? The economy has been bad, people do have hard times and land in desperate situations with no money left to get home.

I have never believed in judging a book by its cover and deliberately look for the best in everyone I meet.

Will I be wary of strangers and even casual acquaintances from now on? YES.

Will I stop looking for the good in people? NO.

I want to apologize to everyone who helped this family. I am so sorry for your wasted time, energy, and contributions.

Sincerely, Dawn Willits
scam patrol

Gackle, ND

#28 May 8, 2010
Dawn, Sorry you had to learn the hard way as did all the people of Gackle. They came to our little town begging, and many kind hearted people started donating. They received enough personal effects to completely fill up the house they rented. People gave cash, groceries and many other things. Their children were pulled out of school and have been traveling with them since January, always with the promise of returning. After learning what this family is all about we sincerely hope they don't return. These children should be taken away by social services. What kind of life do they have learning by this example. Most regrettably is these children are used to prey upon the kindness of others. The house they were renting remains cluttered with all their belongings and left to the landlord to discard or try to give away. Like I said, the residents here just hope they are Florida bound.
Dawn Willits

Iowa City, IA

#29 May 9, 2010
Thank you for your kind words. I may not be posting again.
theLight

Geneseo, IL

#30 May 9, 2010
Hey Dawn, you had know way of knowing. Your kindness was from your heart. It's so good to know there are those out there such as yourself. Good thoughts go out to you.
james

Saint Paul, MN

#32 May 16, 2010
hello everyone this is the guy u been bashing for a while now... been reading the the posts and boy oh boy how its filled with bad emotions... I know that our dilemma was real and factual we r not rich nor tring to take advantage of anyone. just scarred
we had a van that was just put into great shape for the trip... we left with enough to do the trip...stayed down south 2 weeks longer than planned and headed back. over heated in ga. lost starter replaced it didnt get 60 miles, lost fuel pump.... got to st. louis blew head gasket took it as far as it would go... wound up in milan ill, stranded my wife met dawn the rest is history.... mY WIFE AND FAMILY R VERY THANKFULL FOR THE HELP OF EVERYONE.... we simply asked for a repair to get home and a night in a room.... MILAN, it was yur machanics THAT said it was not worth fixing not us... SOOOOOOOOOOOO........ WHERES THE SSSSCCCCCCCCAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM.......... AND ABOUT THE MONEY...... We had a van loaded down with stuff for the trip... got a la sabre.... 2 adults 2 kids 3 dogs where is alll that stuff gonna go how bout a hitch and small trailor. to the tune of $800.00 Still had to leave alittle behind. we also recieved other donations off camera as well.. so in all we left ill. with most our stuff and allmost 400.00 thanx again milan, it wasn't what i expected or asked for but gratefull just the same...
Modern Day Freeloaders

Iowa City, IA

#33 May 18, 2010
First of all, if this is really "James," you should be ashamed of yourself. You took advantage of good people with kind hearts and open pocketbooks. It is only your fault that you are irresponsible and too lazy to find a job to provide for your family. Hopefully, next time you beg for handouts you will be unsuccessful and you will have to stay and work your way out of town.

If you ever find yourself in town, again, respond to this posting and I will provide you with a minimum wage paying job. Just because the United States of America is a free country, doesn't mean everything in the United States of America is FREE.

Because of you people will now be skeptical when the time comes to help someone truly in need. We all feel for your poor kids and pets. They deserve better.

Let this be a lesson to you, Quad Cities. Times have changed and you cannot trust anyone and everyone you find stranded in a parking lot.

WQAD, you need to do a follow-up story to let folks know what happened here. It is the responsible thing to do.
james wrote:
hello everyone this is the guy u been bashing for a while now... been reading the the posts and boy oh boy how its filled with bad emotions... I know that our dilemma was real and factual we r not rich nor tring to take advantage of anyone. just scarred
we had a van that was just put into great shape for the trip... we left with enough to do the trip...stayed down south 2 weeks longer than planned and headed back. over heated in ga. lost starter replaced it didnt get 60 miles, lost fuel pump.... got to st. louis blew head gasket took it as far as it would go... wound up in milan ill, stranded my wife met dawn the rest is history.... mY WIFE AND FAMILY R VERY THANKFULL FOR THE HELP OF EVERYONE.... we simply asked for a repair to get home and a night in a room.... MILAN, it was yur machanics THAT said it was not worth fixing not us... SOOOOOOOOOOOO........ WHERES THE SSSSCCCCCCCCAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM.......... AND ABOUT THE MONEY...... We had a van loaded down with stuff for the trip... got a la sabre.... 2 adults 2 kids 3 dogs where is alll that stuff gonna go how bout a hitch and small trailor. to the tune of $800.00 Still had to leave alittle behind. we also recieved other donations off camera as well.. so in all we left ill. with most our stuff and allmost 400.00 thanx again milan, it wasn't what i expected or asked for but gratefull just the same...
Modern Day Freeloaders-2

Iowa City, IA

#34 May 18, 2010
Just one more question for you, "James." If you are in such deep financial trouble, how did you gain access to the internet to create this reply? If it is via a cellular phone, you need to cancel your internet plan and save some $$$ to get yourselves home. If you have a laptop, you need to sell it and use the $$$ to get home. Either way, get your priorities straight and take some responsibility for your situation.
james wrote:
theLight

Geneseo, IL

#35 May 18, 2010
James post us your mailing address. I'd be happy to send you some more cash.
More To Give

Iowa City, IA

#36 May 19, 2010
Yes, James. Some of us are still here to help. Please post your e-mail address so we can contact you and send some more cash if you need it. We want you to return home safely.
QCArea

Downers Grove, IL

#37 Jul 7, 2010
Awesome!

“Hello”

Since: Jul 10

Evergreen Park

#38 Jul 10, 2010
just a number wrote:
I so agree with hmmmmmm
Eriksen, please, I am driving a 1991 econoline 150 van on its last legs, I am a single mom of 2 teens and 1 other teen that lives with us that I consider my 1/2 son. I receive SSI, I am not whining just stating a fact, I am poor, BUT, me and my 2 sons are starting college in the fall, probably by bus which is fine too, I don't look for hand-outs, I want to finish my degree and be a nurse so I can buy my first new car, I will see you in a little over 2 yrs. when I start my new job as a nurse.
Hey, at least I am honest.

“Hello”

Since: Jul 10

Evergreen Park

#39 Aug 4, 2010
I do have to say this, Dawn you are a wonderful person, I also was in a situation like yours, my hubby and I took in my son's friend who was suppose to stay for only 2 weeks, well, we took in his girlfriend and baby also and they stayed a couple of months and took full advantage of us, it was terrible, I am a good hearted person and I felt so used and betrayed. I open my home to help people out and they crap on me, never again!
I am originally from Chicago and moved up here almost 5 yrs. ago, people up here are way too trusting, an example is when you guys are shopping in hyvee you leave your purses in the cart and you might walk away or even in the next isle! Or, you leave your purse at the buffet table and get your food, heck, us chicagoans would have a field day with you, if we did that back home it would be gone in a second! Just a sad reality, be careful and be more watchful, that is all I am saying. Thanks!
Allena Pond

Augusta, ME

#40 Jan 10, 2013
No More Traveler's Aide,, Not in Mass,, They state,, We only help the homeless, No one can help a Family Stranded for any reason,, Nor any Salvation Army or Goodwill,, As my daughter and 2 children ,, are stranded in Mass, trying in Vain to get home in Tampa Fl,, am disabled and limit funds,, not able to help them, it is killing me, as we have called everyone , and everywhere, No Family to help,, only 1 friend, who can at least let them stay for a week or so,, But she so needs to get her children home, Am sick with worry,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Married man looking to sext. Dec 13 mrfixit65 2
Sex with my older brother? Dec 10 Zach123 1
Review: Custom Welding & Repair Dec 8 billstacy 1
From Heaven to Hell in The War on Culture Nov '14 Culture Auditor 1
being yourself Oct '14 word hard play hard 1
the music thread (Mar '12) Oct '14 Musikologist 19
Mass. dentist accused of using paper clips in r... (Mar '10) Sep '14 Peter Simmons 2
Moline Dating
Find my Match

Moline People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Moline News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Moline

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:41 am PST

NFL11:41AM
Trestman: There's accountability in Bears' building
NBC Sports12:41 PM
Bears' Trestman aware of speculation about future - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports 1:20 PM
Chicago sportscaster apologizes for tasteless joke in Cutler pun
NBC Sports 1:57 PM
Marc Trestman: It's evident I haven't gotten best from Jay Cutler
NBC Sports 2:15 PM
Should fantasy owners bench Eli Manning in Week 16?