Annawan High School players arrested ...

Annawan High School players arrested in locker room ''incident''

There are 615 comments on the WQAD story from Jan 5, 2010, titled Annawan High School players arrested in locker room ''incident''. In it, WQAD reports that:

ANNAWAN, Illinois - Three area basketball players for Annawan High School have been arrested and charged after a locker room ''incident'' involving a freshman player, and the alleged victim's mother wants them kicked out of school for good.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WQAD.

unknown

United States

#44 Jan 5, 2010
Unknown wrote:
This is my last comment. All of you commenting on this. Have you ever done something? Got caught? Felt bad? Knew you shouldn't have done it? Regret it? Wish you could take it back? Now it lives on with you til the day you die? Think of them. They have to live with this forever. They made a mistake, they confessed. Give it a break. Let the boy decide what happens to them. One guy was planning on going into the army or some thing like that. It's ruined now.
They ruined it, not the victim! Just because they confessed and said they made a mistake doesn't mean they regret it. It may just mean that they regret getting caught, or they regret that this may have become bigger than something their parents can get them out of. I doubt the kid didn't report it because it "wasn't that big of a deal". Did you ever think he didn't report it because he was embarrassed? Or because he didn't want to stand out in a new school where he is a definite minority? And I definitely don't consider this as just something they did that was wrong and felt bad! You're trying to make this sound like a simple prank but this was a sexual assault, plain and simple, whether you choose to admit it or not!
Annawan mom

Des Moines, IA

#45 Jan 5, 2010
Expell them from school. Bar them from attending all Annawan school events. It wasn't a prank. It was mean, cruel, illegal, immoral and a blight on our school. I have young kids in this school district. Since pre-k through 12 are in attached buildings and share media center, cafeteria, etc, I certainly don't want anyone doing those things anywhere near my children. It's time for them to take responsibility for their actions. What about the victim? He has the right to be safe everywhere, especially school. This school is proud of strong academics & sports, but that is irrelevant if a child can't be safe or feel comfortable. What the school does now will show how much & if they really care about the students. Get the bad apples out of the cart. The three boys can attend an alternative school. We can pray for all involved. I hope the boys make better choices in the future.
Tracie Hall

Geneseo, IL

#46 Jan 5, 2010
I think all 3 should be considered sex offenders and that they should be permently expelled for good and maybe if they are lucky they can go to jail they and be tried as adults. It is a very sad day in society when this happens in a school where our kids should be safe.
Raised 2 in Geneseo

Geneseo, IL

#47 Jan 5, 2010
I don't care what your name is, where you live, how good of an athlete you are...this is unacceptable behavior for anyone. And yes, Mom and Dad, their behavior reflects on your parenting style even though you may not think so. As a parent of two grown kids who were not angels, don't be so quick to save them from themselves. This is a huge opportunity for them to learn a very big lesson. They need to take the consequences of their actions and accept that without interference from parents. To constantly cover up for them or try to save them only digs them a deeper hole. To the Annawan High School administrators, school board and faculty, it sounds like you don't want the surrounding area to know that you have "problems" within your district. Well, we all live in the real world here. Every school district has problems. You address them, do your best to take care of the situation so the problem does not happen again and if you have to you inform the parents of all of the students and maybe the public. Don't hide, it only makes it worse. You can't play favorites. I know every school does but in the end it does not work. There is no reason things have to get so out of control as they did with these students. People just don't think - about anything. Just live in the moment and someone will save you if you screw up. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone just took a few minutes out of their day just to think about what they're going to do that day, how they're going to treat someone, how they're going to speak to the people around them, and think of others feelings. It just doesn't happen very often anymore. Now you see the result of that with these boys. This whole situation is very, very sad.
Tracie Hall

Geneseo, IL

#48 Jan 5, 2010
Home of the Braves wrote:
you guys, it was just a teabag, or a trout slap. i've grown up in annawan and am now in college. we do this all the time to each other, not just in the locker rooms. its part of growing up and being a man. What is with this junk about being kicked out? the kids be kids.
Wow no brains that is rape you idiot if you liked it that is your problem
Wethersfield Alumn

Princeton, IL

#49 Jan 5, 2010
I am deeply concerned by how the community has labeled this as a hate crime. Yes, the victim was a minority, but this does not make this an act against that race. The criminals did something illegal, it was sexual and aggravated assault. And I am aware of sexual harassment occurring during high school athletics. It happens, this does not make it okay, but it has gone un-noticed even though coaches may have been aware of said actions. It truly disgusts me for people to say that they are good kids, they may be but this does not change the context of the crime. It is irrelevant who it was, names should not matter. Kids A, B, and C, committed a crime. Take it to court, and let the judge handle it. Once the court has hold of the situation the school can wash its hand of the problem.
a parent

Des Moines, IA

#50 Jan 5, 2010
There is a LOT of bullying in Annawan grade school. Now the this. If the teachers & staff(counselors) would aggressively address the bullying issues,if the parents wouldn't cover for their kid when the police come for him after teen parties, if, if if! Too bad the kids didn't have to pay $, community service & a public apology for the fire hydrant incident. Maybe they would have thought before doing this. The superintendent is known for lying to parents & school board if the past. Kids have been left on buses. Girls stats changed. Who knows what else has been kept quiet. Is this a good example? What is this teaching our kids? It's time to address the issues properly & keep all kids safe! I completely support the victim. To the school board, superintendant: Do what's right! EXPELL! Maybe they'll learn from this mistake & not end up in prison later in life.
Current Annawan Student

Des Moines, IA

#51 Jan 5, 2010
This is disgusting! This is not the first time these boys have been in trouble and if they let them stay, who's to say this will be the last? I currently go to school with these kids. School is suppose to be a safe environment. If these kids are allowed back, I will NOT feel safe. I do not want to sit in my classes with kids who have attacked other students. This is so out of line. There should be no question about what should happen to them. Just because you have a big name in town, doesn't mean you can have everything handed to you. If this involved students who's parents weren't big in town, the kids would already be expelled. If nothing happens to these kids, I will have lost what little respect I have left for my school. They keep getting away with things, why wouldn't they just keep pushing their luck?
who gives a flying fluck

Kewanee, IL

#52 Jan 5, 2010
you people are over exaggerating. I am sure you have all done something stupid in your life and felt like a tard. These kids are good kids, just having fun in high school. thee end.
Seriously

Marion, IL

#53 Jan 5, 2010
Unknown wrote:
They shouldn't be punished that much. They are kids. It's mostly their parents fault and the principal's fault for not teaching them a lesson. At annawan they don't have school meeting in the gym saying what would happen if they did this. I'mve know them for a long time and I am friends with them. I'm not saying this to stick up for them because i'm friend with the victim too. I'm sure the vitim has done things liek that before, thats why he didn't tell anyone, because he has! I do theink they should have charges pressed against them. These men get good grades and do great in sports. I know people make mistakes in their lives. But they shouldn't have to live with a little prank they did in high school for the rest of their life. The victim's mom said it wasn't a prank, how would she know? she wasn't there.
don't start freaking out, they should have charges pressed against them, but its not the moms choice, the principal, or even a judge. IT should be the victim that gets to pick the charges because it happened to him.
The parents should be punished and so should the school! I don't care if they get good grades and are good in sports. That has nothing to do with what they did this time and all the times before.
gramma9

United States

#54 Jan 5, 2010
I came from the area and know the way small towns & schools work. the name is what counts. those 3 boys should never allowed in the school again. Their attack is sickening.
Seriously

Marion, IL

#55 Jan 5, 2010
Unknown wrote:
This is my last comment. All of you commenting on this. Have you ever done something? Got caught? Felt bad? Knew you shouldn't have done it? Regret it? Wish you could take it back? Now it lives on with you til the day you die? Think of them. They have to live with this forever. They made a mistake, they confessed. Give it a break. Let the boy decide what happens to them. One guy was planning on going into the army or some thing like that. It's ruined now.
And anyone that has done something that has to live with it does just that. They live with it. Life goes on. If this isn't that big of a deal, these boys will do the same. No one let the boy decide what his freshman initiation was going to be? It's the victim who has to live with this the rest of his life. It is one thing to push pennies down a hall or get a swirlie. These boys crossed the line, PERIOD! They're 18. They can make adult decisions. Whether you believe they're still kids or not, they're considered adults! I don't believe I want a "Private" who can't keep his privates to himself!
blahblah

Cedar Rapids, IA

#56 Jan 5, 2010
Unknown wrote:
They shouldn't be punished that much. They are kids. It's mostly their parents fault and the principal's fault for not teaching them a lesson. At annawan they don't have school meeting in the gym saying what would happen if they did this. I'mve know them for a long time and I am friends with them. I'm not saying this to stick up for them because i'm friend with the victim too. I'm sure the vitim has done things liek that before, thats why he didn't tell anyone, because he has! I do theink they should have charges pressed against them. These men get good grades and do great in sports. I know people make mistakes in their lives. But they shouldn't have to live with a little prank they did in high school for the rest of their life. The victim's mom said it wasn't a prank, how would she know? she wasn't there.
don't start freaking out, they should have charges pressed against them, but its not the moms choice, the principal, or even a judge. IT should be the victim that gets to pick the charges because it happened to him.
Are they kids? or are they men? REAL MEN DO NOT ACT LIKE THAT!!! and to "they shouldn't be punished 'that much'"....what does that mean?
a school employee

Bayside, NY

#57 Jan 5, 2010
Shameful! This is exactly why hazing was stopped. Some people take it way too far. I do not think that boy should have to testify in front of that hearing. The statements made to the officials should be read and the police officer should attest to it's validity. Enough is enough. This seems like more torture for him and how awful to come from the adults on the school board! The boys who performed this awful deed should be expelled. They can continue their education next year with the approval of the school board then. Seems like being behind a semester in their learning isn't so awful compared to what they've done. And if they do some jail time or attend somewhere like Mary Davis, the town of Annawan may become a quieter place for a while.
Oneness

Des Moines, IA

#58 Jan 5, 2010
If it was the first time for any trouble, maybe. But it's a pattern of behaviour here.

Seems like a problem with the school management since serious issues keep coming up. The school leadership has NOT been setting a good precedant for the kids that are watching this play out.

Vandalize your own school for Homecoming? No problem ! You can still play in the homecoming game. Been caught drinking? No problem! Teabagging a freshman? OK, just no trout slap, well - maybe just one but NO peek-a-boos, this time we're serious... probably, OK, I'm sorry, continue on and we'll pretend to be REAL serious the FOURTH time.
AnnawanGrad95

Milton, FL

#59 Jan 5, 2010
I never thought I would feel shame to have come out of the Annawan School system. Since I graduated I've heard horror stories about other events that have taken place that were "pranks"--emptying the water tower, filling the school with deer urine...the list goes on. When I was in high school obviously the kids weren't perfect, but any sort of "pranks" were far more innocent. As the world's morals and values go down the toilet, I guess Annawan isn't immune to following the same path. I always thought that the kids that go to Annawan were raised by families that taught them to have character. Apparently that is no longer the case (at least for the three bullies). It is NOT okay to bully, it ISN'T a right of passage, and the bullies need to be punished severely--I don't care who they are, who their parents are, or how much money they may have. Wrong is wrong. The victim and his family are humiliated by this and I'm sure will be scarred by this for a long time. He and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

To the bullies, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Annawan has been known for having a great school and good athetics, but you've tarnished this for the community and for present, past and future students. Your behavior is unacceptable and you shouldn't be allowed back in school.
Are you kidding

Crane Hill, AL

#60 Jan 5, 2010
How is it possible that this boy has to appear in front of the school board and be questioned with the accused and their parents present?? Are you kidding me? There is no way that should be allowed, especially with criminal charges having already been filed. For the previous posters that talked about this being a harmless prank and it's all part of being a man, would you say that if it was your child as the victim. I have 3 children, one that is already attending school in the Annawan school district. I am also an Annawan graduate and it makes me sick that there is even a question of what to do with these boys. EXPELL THEM. Period.
Steph Johnson

Galesburg, IL

#61 Jan 5, 2010
Imagine if this were an incident that happened on the street. Now imagine if three guys did this to a young woman. Nobody would think twice about throwing these guys in jail for what they did if it were under different circumstances. Why do people seem to downplay the incident as a teen prank just because it happened to another male and in the context of a locker room?
There's no doubt in my mind that these guys should be expelled immediately and thrown in jail awhile. Counseling should be mandatory, as well as a public apology to the victim.
Are you kidding

Crane Hill, AL

#62 Jan 5, 2010
Anyone else missing Dick VanKerrebroeck? This would NEVER be tolerated if he was still running the school! Those boys need a little Dick in their lives!
I am just saying

Gulf Breeze, FL

#63 Jan 5, 2010
I know nothing about that school district and dont care,but the fact is YES the FACT is.........YES that is sick,but most of you people have been out of school for years!!!!! There is way worse stuff than that going around schools today!! Would you rather your kid be a meth dealer! Come on! I went to Orion and was a grad of 02 they did that stuff all the time to freshman,was it right NO but it happened and noboby threw a big fit! Oh and for some reason it always has to lead back to a racial issue imagine that!! The kid it happened to might have done the same thing to someone else a year ago but nothing happened!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone Know Randy G Lawson??? Apr 7 Brittany 1
News Jone Knapton Homicide Task Force (Mar '06) Mar '17 Mommabear2016 78
My sister was raped by a dekalb cop Mar '17 David Unit 3
Moline High School Baseball Mar '17 Not an alternativ... 1
Missing Person? Korina Blasdell Feb '17 ellameno 1
the music thread (Mar '12) Feb '17 Musikologist 24
News Chicago-area woman arrested, charged after poop... (Sep '10) Feb '17 Its a job 6

Moline Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moline Mortgages