Proposition 8: Ruling against Prop. 8...

Proposition 8: Ruling against Prop. 8 could lead to federal precede...

There are 46 comments on the KFOR story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Proposition 8: Ruling against Prop. 8 could lead to federal precede.... In it, KFOR reports that:

Judge says the same-sex marriage ban was rooted in 'moral disapproval' and violates constitutional rights to equal protection and due process.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFOR.

Vicki

Valdosta, GA

#24 Aug 5, 2010
Man of the Cloth wrote:
<quoted text>
because it doesnt say that, I would if that was what he said but he didnt, so i must present the truth.
jesus said you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.
He did say that? I beg to differ with you. If you own a Bible Concordance or can get your hands on one somewhere, look up the words "God" & Love".
Chris

United States

#25 Aug 5, 2010
I think that judge needs to be impeached. The voters of California have the right to say "NO WAY" to gay marriage. The judge doesn't care what the voters want or say. He has his own agenda on the bench. I'm not a California citizen...I live in Florida, but, I agree with Prop 8. I'd join the fight to reinstate the law if I lived there.
Chris

United States

#26 Aug 5, 2010
And for those of you who know The Bible, homosexuality is a sin...it's immoral. Soddom and Gamorrah were destroyed because of rampant homosexuality. It's sickening, disgusting. Homosexuals, in my eyes, have no rights, deserve no rights. They do not deserve equal rights. They shouldn't be a protected group. I am a Christian myself. I wouldn't want to live in a state, have my state tax money going to a state that advocates immorallity.
Vicki

Valdosta, GA

#27 Aug 5, 2010
Chris wrote:
And for those of you who know The Bible, homosexuality is a sin...it's immoral. Soddom and Gamorrah were destroyed because of rampant homosexuality. It's sickening, disgusting. Homosexuals, in my eyes, have no rights, deserve no rights. They do not deserve equal rights. They shouldn't be a protected group. I am a Christian myself. I wouldn't want to live in a state, have my state tax money going to a state that advocates immorallity.
In response to your comment about homosexuality being a sin: so is lying, stealing, adultery, bearing false witness, murder, incest, idolatry, greed & a whole multitude of other things.

If you do a little digging in your Bible, you will find the story about the Crucifixion. It took place because God loved the whole world, not just a select few. He's not into bigotry, like some of you self-proclaimed Christians are, nor does He like you being that way in His name either.

You say that you wouldn't want to live in a state that adovcates immorality, but that would leave out every state in the US. Every state has its share of it going on.

You feel that homosexuality is sickening & disgusting, & that homosexuals shouldn't have no rights, & that is your right to feel that way. But, may you keep in mind that so is adultery, incest, murder, bigotry & all those other things too.

Speaking of that, no one is perfect, not you, not me, nor anyone else in this world. Does that mean that we don't deserve to have any rights & be protected from discrimination when we do things that society thinks is wrong?

Sorry, but most people who have any sense at all, don't go by what society thinks is right for them. They go by what they feel in their hearts. God didn't give people their lives for society or bigoted outsiders to live for them. He gave them to each person individually to live for themselves.

“I'm a transsexual lesbian. So?”

Since: May 08

Bowling Green, OH

#28 Aug 5, 2010
MOTC -- Oh ye of major ignorance and little comprehension...

First, darling bigot, our Constitution is based on *secular* principles and NOT religious ones -- which is *why* there are prohibitions on laws based on religious ideals, let alone official recognition of one faith or sect over all others. Ever hear of the Establishment clause, darling?

Chris -- Next time you delve into your bible, why not look up *all* of the cross-references to the destruction? You'll find that NONE OF THEM even *hints* at sexuality, let alone loving same-sex relationships. Even your Jesus said the destruction was based on inhospitality and ignoring the poor!
Against

Oklahoma City, OK

#30 Aug 6, 2010
Vicki wrote:
<quoted text>So??? Gay marriage, whether we think its disgusting or not, is a Constitutional right. Nothing prohibits it in the Constitution. Hopefully you will realize sooner or later, that what's in the Constitution has more bearing than what a person thinks. Does that make sense to you? You can fuss all you want about gay marriage, but what's in the Constitution is what is going to matter in the end.
1st of all, where did I say I thought it was disgusting??? Do you have some self loathing left back in the closet???

2nd its MY constitution too so I have just as much right to believe, speak and vote just like you. As much as you are for it, I am against it. Doesn't mean I thing gays are bad people, just means I don't believe in gay marriage. And that is MY RIGHT.
Vicki

Valdosta, GA

#31 Aug 6, 2010
Against wrote:
<quoted text>
1st of all, where did I say I thought it was disgusting??? Do you have some self loathing left back in the closet???
2nd its MY constitution too so I have just as much right to believe, speak and vote just like you. As much as you are for it, I am against it. Doesn't mean I thing gays are bad people, just means I don't believe in gay marriage. And that is MY RIGHT.
First of all, I didn't say that you called it disgusting. I was referring to people in general. Learn to read for comprehension. Secondly, laws are not going to be passed by your bigotry. Be against it all you want, but its not getting you nowhere.
not the other chris

Edmond, OK

#32 Aug 6, 2010
Vicki wrote:
<quoted text>Since when is having the freedom to be yourself & live your life as you choose "Un-American"? Also, what does homosexuality have to do with illegal immigration? You're posting way out in left field here.
"Being yourself" is not the same as demanding society as a whole change a centuries old definition of marriage. Get a life and quit trying to impose your special interest on the the rest of us. In this country you are pretty much free to do what you want as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of us. It is wrong for you to expect our nation to accommodate your special need to "be yourself." What a twit!
Vicki

Valdosta, GA

#33 Aug 6, 2010
not the other chris wrote:
<quoted text>
"Being yourself" is not the same as demanding society as a whole change a centuries old definition of marriage. Get a life and quit trying to impose your special interest on the the rest of us. In this country you are pretty much free to do what you want as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of us. It is wrong for you to expect our nation to accommodate your special need to "be yourself." What a twit!
First of all, I have a life Bigot. Secondly, you don't run my life nor this forum, so if you don't like what's said - move your pathetic self elsewhere.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#34 Aug 6, 2010
tidy catz wrote:
<quoted text>
While I agree with what the judge said, I disagree with his motion. The Proposition was voted on by the people. The people spoke and decided, but HE determined that the people are wrong. IMO, HE is wrong. Not because he advocates for homosexuals, but because he overrode the will of the people of California.
I'm agree with you. Why vote? It means absolutely nothing. Our country is supposed to be of the people, for the people and by the people. First of all, we're given VERY FEW opportunities to vote on issues. Then, when do get to, our decisions are overturned.
This judge's decision is wrong on so many levels. Not because of his moral ideals but because he spit in the face of every voter in California. He as much as said "I know better than you."
My question is this. Why are we, as American citizens, standing for this kind of stuff? Why are we being pushed around and not pushing back? Oh, I forgot. We're going to vote again in 2012 and then everything will be all better.
Boloney!!! Nothing will change because we don't DEMAND the change. All we do is change the names and faces every few years and that's it. Then when crap hits the fan we sit around and complain.
The voters tried to bypass the US Constitution and failed
DUH!
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#35 Aug 6, 2010
<quoted text>
The "definition of marriage" is only 43 years old
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_vs._Virgi...
not the other chris

Edmond, OK

#36 Aug 6, 2010
MarleneBomer wrote:
MOTC -- Oh ye of major ignorance and little comprehension...
First, darling bigot, our Constitution is based on *secular* principles and NOT religious ones -- which is *why* there are prohibitions on laws based on religious ideals, let alone official recognition of one faith or sect over all others. Ever hear of the Establishment clause, darling?
Chris -- Next time you delve into your bible, why not look up *all* of the cross-references to the destruction? You'll find that NONE OF THEM even *hints* at sexuality, let alone loving same-sex relationships. Even your Jesus said the destruction was based on inhospitality and ignoring the poor!
You are as off base as you can be. We are one nation under God...etc. YOU might do a little research and find that every state constitution is NOT secular and references God in very specific verbage. Take a look at the dollar or coin in your pocket. And so on...Just because you are comfortable condemning yourself to eternity because of your arrogance and self-centeredness, there is no reason to insist that others foolishly follow you. You might get with someone who is actually familiar with scripture. There are many, many references to sexual deviation and what God thinks about it: Genesis, Exodus, Deutroronomy, Romans, Revelations, Numbers to name a few. Instead of listening to the few idiots who try and pull something out of context, actually take the time to read and explore the meaning and history behind what you find. You have obviously been brainwashed to live your reality based on heresay and propaganda. Those of us who've been around awhile and were taught history, formal and traditional regious studies, comparative religion, philosophy and the humanities in general, understand more of the truth about human development than some half-baked, self-styled new wave guru of the absurd. You are young, obviously easily influenced, but maybe you will be motivated to engage in formal study of the world and mankind to get at something substantive and meaningful. If, however, you are too undisciplined to be concerned with only your "personal freedom and rights" without consideration of helping maintain the integrity of our society and what it is that has preserved your freedom to live your life as moonbat or whatever, then have at it. I fought for this country and have taken responsibility to appreciate and defend the freedoms we enjoy so that you have that opportunity. Please stop taking that for granted and do something positive instead of trying to tear this country down, but preserving it as special and spiritual and blessed. Selfish demands for personal accommodation does nothing but make you vulnerable to buying into the next hopey changey thing that comes along. The nation elected an inexperienced, incompetent, arrogant boob as a "leader," and we are paying dearly now for that mistake. Don't let yourself be fooled by the next agenda that sounds personally satisfying without careful consideration of how it might impact our society. Prop. 8 is destructive, it does noting to strengthen and unify this nation.
not the other chris

Edmond, OK

#37 Aug 6, 2010
MOTC... I meant to say that OVERTURNING Prop. 8 is destructive. Guess I was typing too quickly.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#38 Aug 6, 2010
Chris wrote:
Religion is not a requirement for marriage
This court case is about the right to purchase a marriage license from the county courthouse and to get married by a judge or a justice of the peace
not the other chris

Edmond, OK

#39 Aug 6, 2010
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
The "definition of marriage" is only 43 years old
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_vs._Virgi...
Boy have you fallen for the ACLU, new-wave, politico crap. The definition and concept of marriage is actually over 3,000 years old. Sorry to disappoint you. Geez, I never cease to be amazed at the new s**t that is being thrown around these days, let alone the fools that so easily buy into it. People actually believe, cuz of heresay and the propaganda that's been proffered for the last couple of decades, that God and the Bible are really no more than anecdotal myths. Amazing that whole cultures have developed from such, and scholars far more studied and intelligent than you or I have spent lifetimes studying and debating something as inconsequential as "mere anecdotes," yet many young people actually are starting to accept the concept that it's all a lie!! Unbelievable. Just more evidence that prophesy IS real. I hope you make the right decision in preparing for your eternity. I know you're young and invincible, but things change as we grow closer to that finite inevitability that is our fate. Hang in there, and try to be a little more discerning in what you accept as fact.
skg

Torrance, CA

#40 Aug 6, 2010
Chris wrote:
I think that judge needs to be impeached. The voters of California have the right to say "NO WAY" to gay marriage. The judge doesn't care what the voters want or say. He has his own agenda on the bench. I'm not a California citizen...I live in Florida, but, I agree with Prop 8. I'd join the fight to reinstate the law if I lived there.
What if he were straight, then would he have is own agenda?
not the other chris

Edmond, OK

#41 Aug 6, 2010
The overarching agenda is to change the DEFINITION of marriage. We sometimes get distracted from the real issue and fail to see the overall intent. The SF judge that made that ruling is gay, by the way, and the ruling will be overturned since there was a personal conflict of interest in terms of financial gain. It will be shown that there should have been a recusal.
not the other chris

Edmond, OK

#42 Aug 6, 2010
Chris wrote:
Personally I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, we live in a repubublic, not a democracy, so the issue becomes one not of majority vote, but of statutory and constitutional law. And if it is decided that it is unconstitutional to not allow the freedom of "marriage" to everyone, then that supercedes what the majority of the voters want. An overriding issue is the definition of "marriage," which has remained essentially the same in concept for centuries. The "intent" of the partnership defined by marriage, not just between a man and woman, will be the final question.
Hindustan

Alpharetta, GA

#43 Aug 6, 2010
The overarching agenda is to change the DEFINITION of marriage. We sometimes get distracted from the real issue and fail to see the overall intent. The SF judge that made that ruling is gay, by the way, and the ruling will be overturned since there was a personal conflict of interest in terms of financial gain. It will be shown that there should have been a recusal.
By your logic; if he was a straight judge and ruled in favor of you straight goobers; then he should recuse himself
eh?
perhaps all judges should be castrated before putting on the robe?
Hindustan

Alpharetta, GA

#44 Aug 6, 2010
<quoted text>
Personally I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, we live in a repubublic, not a democracy, so the issue becomes one not of majority vote, but of statutory and constitutional law. And if it is decided that it is unconstitutional to not allow the freedom of "marriage" to everyone, then that supercedes what the majority of the voters want. An overriding issue is the definition of "marriage," which has remained essentially the same in concept for centuries. The "intent" of the partnership defined by marriage, not just between a man and woman, will be the final question.
Only 250 years ago marriage was defined as "pairing of the saints" between three men with the Jesus fellow in the middle
http://www.jinxiboo.com/blog/2009/5/3/when-sa...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jone Knapton Homicide Task Force (Mar '06) Jan 14 Lisa 77
Review: Dekamore Dental - Kory Waid DDS (Sep '11) Jan 10 Jenna 9
Real pretty blonde in maroon suburban Dec '16 wacky dacky 2
News Wilton braces for Gerdau-Ameristeel layoffs (Jun '10) Nov '16 Beentheredonethat 4
Review: Evans Tree Service (Jun '13) Nov '16 SLine 3
News NH police charge mother and son with stealing $... (Aug '10) Oct '16 Anonymous 7
News Knox Co. man arrested after jumping on cars in ... (Jul '10) Oct '16 Ben 24

Moline Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moline Mortgages