First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bill Nye

Erie, PA

#1 Dec 29, 2013

The clip is 12 minutes long but you only need to watch several minutes to get the drift. Would you be able to defend against these types of questions? Does it bother you that so many appearing in the video can't justify their positions?

It's interesting.
respectfully

United States

#2 Dec 29, 2013
[The clip is 12 minutes long but you only need to watch several minutes to get the drift. Would you be able to defend against these types of questions? Does it bother you that so many appearing in the video can't justify their positions?]
It's interesting.
If the person asking these questions would pose them to an evolutionary biologist such as professor richard
dawkins he would absolutely hand the guy his lunch. These kids have no idea and might as well be on jaywalking with leno. Creationists stopped debatinscientists because they lose miserably and I can tell you that as a devout christian it wasent fun for me to have my beliefs broken down by these brilliant modern day thinkers but thats exactly what has happened. While scientists may disagree on how we got here the facts are that science continues to prove religion wrong at everyopportunity. From the age of the earth to the cause of lightening their is always a scientific explanation that disproves religious belief.
curious onlooker

Erie, PA

#3 Dec 29, 2013
One of the kids backtracked and said evolution was just like religion. A couple people in the clip were older PhD's and they didn't have good explanations either.
respectfully

United States

#4 Dec 29, 2013
You can you tube various debates involving our best religious teachers against leading atheists and if you are a person of faith I can promise you they are painful to watch. Debates involving Christopher hitchens , richard dawkins, and sam harris will all make my point. The arguments they make against religion are so compelling that it dosent make for much of a debate.
jebus

Foxboro, MA

#5 Dec 29, 2013
Some people just can't justify their own existence without mythological religious reasoning.
jesus H

Erie, PA

#6 Dec 30, 2013
jebus wrote:
Some people just can't justify their own existence without mythological religious reasoning.
Are you talking about the science minded people in the you tube video or church minded people?
Hesus J

Erie, PA

#7 Dec 30, 2013
jesus H wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about the science minded people in the you tube video or church minded people?
Is the point maybe that some on the clip seem as intellectually lazy as the believers they criticize? Everyone criticizes believers who can't justify their positions but did these people do any better?
dum bass aetheist

Montpelier, OH

#8 Dec 30, 2013
Scarry stuff....thank god I am an aetheist
respectfully

United States

#9 Dec 30, 2013
Hesus J wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the point maybe that some on the clip seem as intellectually lazy as the believers they criticize? Everyone criticizes believers who can't justify their positions but did these people do any better?
Trying to develop working theories on how we got here or evolved is better than believing in something for which there is zero evidence. Even if someone does believe that a god created us, the religious always take it a step further and tell us that they know his name, what he wants for us, and communicates with them and that he is listening to their prayers. Then they tell us we our souls will be damned if we can't hear him too.
God

Townville, PA

#10 Dec 30, 2013
respectfully wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to develop working theories on how we got here or evolved is better than believing in something for which there is zero evidence. Even if someone does believe that a god created us, the religious always take it a step further and tell us that they know his name, what he wants for us, and communicates with them and that he is listening to their prayers. Then they tell us we our souls will be damned if we can't hear him too.
“If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic.”
--- Gregory House MD
curious onlooker

Erie, PA

#11 Dec 30, 2013
respectfully wrote:
<quoted text>
I am with you. The religious often speak beyond what they could possibly know. Such as there existing a supreme being as opposed to stuff happening the exact same way only without one. But if you watched the video would you say the people interviewed were believing with little to no evidence on their part, demonstrated by their inability to explain their beliefs in evolution? I would. The point being that though they may be right...as in some overly complex understanding, by chance religionists may be right...does the ends justify the means? If so, it works both ways. The people on video didn't know what they were affirming not unlike religionists. Am I wrong? I find it disconcerting when the science minded speak beyond their ability to reason just as I find it disconcerting when the religious minded speak beyond their ability to reason. Actually more so regarding the science minded.
dum bass aetheist

Montpelier, OH

#12 Dec 30, 2013
curious onlooker wrote:
<quoted text>
I am with you. The religious often speak beyond what they could possibly know. Such as there existing a supreme being as opposed to stuff happening the exact same way only without one. But if you watched the video would you say the people interviewed were believing with little to no evidence on their part, demonstrated by their inability to explain their beliefs in evolution? I would. The point being that though they may be right...as in some overly complex understanding, by chance religionists may be right...does the ends justify the means? If so, it works both ways. The people on video didn't know what they were affirming not unlike religionists. Am I wrong? I find it disconcerting when the science minded speak beyond their ability to reason just as I find it disconcerting when the religious minded speak beyond their ability to reason. Actually more so

regarding the science minded.
do you have a brain..have you ever seen it or touched it..do you gave pictures or prooof ?
Nice Catch

Erie, PA

#13 Dec 30, 2013
dum bass aetheist wrote:
<quoted text> do you have a brain..have you ever seen it or touched it..do you gave pictures or prooof ?
Nice catch there Jesus Einstein. There are no such things as absolutes to humans...including this one...because all is conjecture. It's just a shame those in the video didn't acknowledge this, then go on to mention that the most reliable method regarding reality is the scientific way, even though it errs on the side of caution regarding claims.

Either that or I'm God and you can't by definition prove me wrong.
dum bass aetheist

Montpelier, OH

#14 Dec 30, 2013
Nice Catch wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice catch there Jesus Einstein. There are no such things as absolutes to humans...including this one...because all is conjecture. It's just a shame those in the video didn't acknowledge this, then go on to mention that the most reliable method regarding reality is the scientific way, even though it errs on the side of caution regarding claims.
Either that or I'm God and you can't by definition prove me wrong.
if you think you are riight...then you are. But what if you are wrong ?.?..that couldn, t be.
God

Meadville, PA

#15 Dec 30, 2013
dum bass aetheist wrote:
<quoted text>if you think you are riight...then you are. But what if you are wrong ?.?..that couldn, t be.
The difference is that believers can't afford to question any part of their story, without it all collapsing like a house of cards. It becomes necessary to (literally) demonize anyone who questions the existence of "God" or "Allah" or whatever you want to call it, in order to protect the myth.
respectfully

United States

#16 Dec 30, 2013
curious onlooker wrote:
<quoted text>
I am with you. The religious often speak beyond what they could possibly know. Such as there existing a supreme being as opposed to stuff happening the exact same way only without one. But if you watched the video would you say the people interviewed were believing with little to no evidence on their part, demonstrated by their inability to explain their beliefs in evolution? I would. The point being that though they may be right...as in some overly complex understanding, by chance religionists may be right...does

the ends justify the means? If so, it works both ways. The
people on video didn't know what they were affirming not unlike religionists. Am I wrong? I find it disconcerting when the science minded speak beyond their ability to
reason just as I find it disconcerting when the religious
minded speak beyond their ability to reason. Actually
more so regarding the science minded.
I believe that the problem lies more is society classifying people as evolutionists or creationists. When asked do you believe in evolution ? I believe that most people are choosing to answer yes out of their desire to separate themselves from creationists , rather than an attempt to link themselves with evolution for which they no little
about. The point is they wish to link themselves with science rather than faith. And I believe there's nothing wrong or unintelligent with the position " gee wiz I don't know." Far more agregious to tell people what the name of the creator is , what sexual orientation he prefers for us, and what his plans are for the afterlife, when in reality youare afraid and believing what your scared into.
God

Meadville, PA

#17 Dec 30, 2013
respectfully wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that the problem lies more is society classifying people as evolutionists or creationists. When asked do you believe in evolution ? I believe that most people are choosing to answer yes out of their desire to separate themselves from creationists , rather than an attempt to link themselves with evolution for which they no little about.
A recent poll showed that 2/3 of Americans believe in evolution, and generally about 3/4 of Americans define themselves as Christians. The two theories are not mutually exclusive, apparently.
God

Erie, PA

#18 Dec 30, 2013
God wrote:
<quoted text>
A recent poll showed that 2/3 of Americans believe in evolution, and generally about 3/4 of Americans define themselves as Christians. The two theories are not mutually exclusive, apparently.
That is what the Church has taught for years. Nothing new to the educated and informed.
respectfully

United States

#19 Dec 30, 2013
God wrote:
<quoted text> That is what the Church has taught for years. Nothing new to the educated and informed.
I think it would br more fair to say the church s teachings that science is not incompatable with faith has only happened in the last 100yrs or so as scientific arguments have become irrefutable. As an example, the church denied evolution, and is now excepting it as "gods bmechanism". The church argued against carbon dating and other means to date the age of the earth. On cultural issues the early christian church outlined guidelines for physically punishing slaves. It is an ever evolving man made institution that reflects the ideas of whatever time frame u want to look at.
God

Meadville, PA

#20 Dec 30, 2013
God wrote:
<quoted text> That is what the Church has taught for years. Nothing new to the educated and informed.
Then how did you find out about it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mohrsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
One Time Buy Into the Professional Grade Brand 10 min professional Grade 4
Dog Abuse Case 19 min Gail 8
The Serious illegal nature of Louis Aliota (Mar '11) 1 hr Taxpayer 533
Lou Aliota's Millcreek Township School Board Ac... 1 hr Taxpayer 41
Mercyhurst Provost Position Eliminated 2 hr Ron W 7
Kentucky Derby 3 hr Nayyyy 4
Kyle Foust dogging on Kathy Dalkember 4 hr Peter Gozinya 3
More from around the web

Mohrsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE