Cigarette shop in middle of Mohawk

Posted in the Mohawk Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
elem schoolers

Canastota, NY

#1 Jan 26, 2011
As the mother of young children I am appalled and disgusted that a cigarette shop is going up in the middle of Mohawk at the old Larry Pauls.

What kind of message does this send our youth? The fact is that cigarette smoking kills millions of people a year. I can't believe in this day and age our Mayor and Village Board would allow such a business right in the very center of town.

Many youngsters in impressionable years such as junior high school will be exposed to the idea of cigarette smoking simply by that business. It will be like a big BILLBOARD and cigarette advertising on billboards has been illegal in the United States for many years!

What can the mayor and Village Board do to stop this?
got a light

Auburn, ME

#2 Jan 26, 2011
it serves two purposes: creating much revenue for the govt. through taxes and it reduces overpopulation. and oh it is constitutional.
please

Long Eddy, NY

#3 Jan 26, 2011
elem schoolers wrote:
As the mother of young children I am appalled and disgusted that a cigarette shop is going up in the middle of Mohawk at the old Larry Pauls.
What kind of message does this send our youth? The fact is that cigarette smoking kills millions of people a year. I can't believe in this day and age our Mayor and Village Board would allow such a business right in the very center of town.
Many youngsters in impressionable years such as junior high school will be exposed to the idea of cigarette smoking simply by that business. It will be like a big BILLBOARD and cigarette advertising on billboards has been illegal in the United States for many years!
Seriously? Suck it up and get over it! We dont live in the Hamptons! We live in the little town of mohawk. Teach your children instead of letting society do your job, and you wont have a problem. Kapeesh? Besides. LP used to sell cigarette's and had all the windows plastered with ad's. Like I said, cigarette advertising has nothing to do with children smoking, parents are the one and single stongest force in a young adults life. Do your job momma and dont worry about what everyone else is doing.
local

Canastota, NY

#4 Jan 27, 2011
i agree, a cigarette store would suck for the village. the prime corner in town, a Smoker Friendly selling cigarettes and smoking stuff. nice. what a great asset to mohawk.
stokemup

West Leyden, NY

#5 Jan 27, 2011
please wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? Suck it up and get over it! We dont live in the Hamptons! We live in the little town of mohawk. Teach your children instead of letting society do your job, and you wont have a problem. Kapeesh? Besides. LP used to sell cigarette's and had all the windows plastered with ad's. Like I said, cigarette advertising has nothing to do with children smoking, parents are the one and single stongest force in a young adults life. Do your job momma and dont worry about what everyone else is doing.
Do you mean you actually want parents to act as parents should. Now that is a good one.
countrygirl

Tully, NY

#6 Jan 27, 2011
um...i dont see any of you complainers going out and doing anything about it eathier.....sitting around complaining on Topix wont do anything
Whine

Galeton, PA

#7 Jan 28, 2011
All you losers do is whine.......

It's a BUSINESS filling a VACANT store !!!
It's a BUSINESS paying rent !!
It's a BUSINESS add a few more jobs !!
It's a BUSINESS adding sales tax money to the town !

If a person chooses to SMOKE it's their CHOICE.

Smoker Friendly is VERY STRICT on NOT selling to minors !!

And before you say it..

NO I AM NOT A SMOKER OR SOMEONE FROM SMOKER FRIENDLY !

You want vacant businesses ??
Just wait until Hummel's sells to W.B. Mason this year !!
rider

United States

#8 Jan 28, 2011
i cant wait the mohawk fastrac blows sick of the attitude long lines and stupid cashiers that walk out from behind the counter with a line to the milk cooler to make cofee for one customer

Since: Dec 10

Harrisville, NY

#9 Mar 21, 2011
Hey what's going on are they going to open anytime soon?
Irony

Newport, NY

#10 Mar 22, 2011
isn't it ironic that they have to remove the poison dirt to make way to sell poison tobacco products with their mile long list of man made additives and extra nicotine sprayed on to make sure the user wants more!
mohawk mom

Canastota, NY

#11 Mar 22, 2011
Haven't seen much going on there lately

Hopefully work has been suspended and the cigarette and POTHEAD store has been NIXED

Yes we have learned that "Smoker's Choice" sells a variety of marijuana-smoking paraphernalia

The idea of such a horrid store squarely at Mohawk's central intersection where thousands of our children will walk by every day every week every month every year for who knows how long (if it remains in business)...

...sends a chill down my spine.

EXTREMELY UPSET AND DISAPPOINTED with our village leaders for allowing such an abomination in Mohawk -- right in the center of the village!

SHAME ON THE PAULS for dealing with such a business! That is hard to say because I know that family has fallen on hard times but still, a business person concerned about the future of the community and the well-being of Mohawk YOUTH would not ...

... would NOT sell out to A CIGARETTE POISON PEDDLER AND DRUG HEAD SHOP!
Come On People

Long Eddy, NY

#12 Mar 22, 2011
Get real...tobacco has been around since the beginning of time. If people want to smoke, that is their perogative, just like people who want to drink alchohol, which is a bigger killer than cigs are. Teach your kids that tobacco, drugs, alchohol, etc. are bad and hope they have enough sense to refrain. If they decide they want to smoke, drink or whatever, they are going to whether there is a store in the middle of town or a few miles away. Besides the fact that they can get their cigs at the convenience store, which is smack-dab in the middle of Mohawk, so what difference is it if their is another place selling cigs there?

Yes, I smoke, but raised five children who are all now in their 30's and 40's, and not one of them smoke. I also have a drink now and then, but refrain from driving when drinking since I have had three family members killed by drunk drivers. The bottom line is responsibility...either you teach your kids right from wrong, or you let them do whatever they want.

Since: Dec 10

Harrisville, NY

#13 Mar 22, 2011
A nice bakery /coffee shop would have been a nice place, location is prime, either way on Rt 28, its like a mid point for people stopping. Too bad for the choice that was made. I hear the smoke shop advertised on the radio, its like putting the horse before the cart
billy bob

Lewiston, ME

#14 Mar 22, 2011
I had jello today.
mohawk mom

Canastota, NY

#15 Mar 22, 2011
Come On People wrote:
Get real...tobacco has been around since the beginning of time. If people want to smoke, that is their perogative, just like people who want to drink alchohol, which is a bigger killer than cigs are. Teach your kids that tobacco, drugs, alchohol, etc. are bad and hope they have enough sense to refrain. If they decide they want to smoke, drink or whatever, they are going to whether there is a store in the middle of town or a few miles away. Besides the fact that they can get their cigs at the convenience store, which is smack-dab in the middle of Mohawk, so what difference is it if their is another place selling cigs there?
Yes, I smoke, but raised five children who are all now in their 30's and 40's, and not one of them smoke. I also have a drink now and then, but refrain from driving when drinking since I have had three family members killed by drunk drivers. The bottom line is responsibility...either you teach your kids right from wrong, or you let them do whatever they want.
lick my love button, asshat!
Mohawk

Marcellus, NY

#17 Jul 15, 2011
Look if you don't like it don't go there. It has every right to be there just like fastrac has a right to be across the street and sell smokes too. And if you wanted a coffee shop or a bakery well go and open one up. It will bringing more jobs and money to that small town.And if you are so worried about kids smoking,well then why not throw a fit over kids being fat and go yell at the 2 pizza shops in town too.Or do they not have a right to be there also.People have smoked for years and it is not the only cause of cancer. And if kids are gonna smoke they will find a way to get them one way or the other.So step up and be a parent to your kid and teach them right from wrong.
You Know It

New York, NY

#18 Jul 18, 2011
Come On People wrote:
Have to agree with you totally....parents today like to complain about all the pitfalls for their kids, but do nothing about teaching them right from wrong. They all expect the government to raise the little darlings instead of taking the time to do it themselves.
Keith W

Albany, NY

#19 Jul 19, 2011
mohawk mom wrote:
<quoted text>
lick my love button, asshat!
"Mohawk Mom" get off of TOPIX! You are an idiot and have nothing to add to any conversation you have posted to. Stop being SOOOO childish!! "Come On People" in 'cuse brought up a few valid points but instead of having intelligent conversation you post something completely retarded. No one cares what you have to say and everyone knows you are developmentally challenged which you make abundantly clear with every asinine post.
Keith W

Albany, NY

#20 Jul 19, 2011
elem schoolers wrote:
I agree it isn't the best place to put a smoke shop. It will make downtown Mohawk look scummy with a huge cigarette store right in the middle of it. Granted it would have been better to put the store somewhere else but from a business standpoint its all about location, location, location. That is the busiest corner in town and I'm sure that store will do great business. Smoke shops are all over the valley and appear to do very well, cant stop them from coming they are in every other town. Be glad some business is going into where LP's was, better then an abandoned store to turn into a giant eyesore. Don't be mad at the new owners who are taking advantage of our free enterprise system and trying to start a business that will create revenue for the area by paying taxes and creating jobs.
If parents are so worried about the children being influenced by the presence of this store then maybe parents should do something about it. Don't blame the store, be an active parent and educate your children about the danger of smoking. Don't blame the store for selling tobacco products, blame your children for buying the stuff!!!!!!
Wondering

Syracuse, NY

#23 Jul 19, 2011
Just use the "report abuse" feature and get this idiot Mom booted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mohawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utica Club sign 3 min Sorry Fatazz Utik... 99
CNY Chipfabs: 0! - AFRICA Chipfabs: 32! 5 min Sorry Fatazz Utik... 22
Who is Lars Tetens (Apr '10) 2 hr Uknowynot 29
Culver Ave park across from Parkway pizza 2 hr Yup 6
Do all men cheat? 3 hr MP knows 31
wktv mornings 3 hr seek help 85
The quitter 3 hr Pataki 1

Mohawk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance